Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 4, 13 7:42 AM
Excellent sequel to Witches Prison, this is fun treat for adventure and puzzle lovers.

While not having the graphics quality of current CE releases, this one has better graphics with voice overs and cut scenes than the first in the series. Personally, I'd rather become immersed in a game by the story trying to figure things out on my own than be dazzled by graphics but following the same old formula found in many HOPAs.

The best things about this game are the story telling (there's a mystery to be solved, well more of a horror story) and the humor. Spoiler: There's a funny game within a game part that is pure satire. I really like the main character. Also great ending. Looking forward to NA: Part 3!

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 4:05:21 PM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 6, 13 12:55 PM
First of all, I would like to thank Stephanie in C.S. for helping me locate and delete my old game profiles so that the newest updated version would work for me. After doing that, I was able to play and finish the game.

I very much enjoyed this sequel to The Witch's Prison. I was a long and interesting game. Although I didn't time myself, I'm sure I must have spent longer than the average 8 hours, so this game was a great value for me. The puzzles were incredibly challenging and the story line absorbing. Clues abound but using them to decipher the puzzles was a daunting task. There was several surprising moments that increased the sense of urgency. The ending was a surprise, and because of that, I very much look forward to the third installment of the Nightmare Adventure games.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 8, 13 5:58 AM
So, here I am, after waiting for a new version of this game that I've been looking for ever since I played the first one....what a disappointment. It feels clunky, and the puzzles are not entertaining. They are just irritating, when they work at all, as two have not, so far. I'm only just inside the A.R.C.A.N.E. compound, just got the card, and am not at all sure I'm interested in going any further. It's not at all clear that I should care what happens to any of these people and puzzles are supposed to be fun which they are not. All in all, this is a for me. I think I'll uninstall and forget about it for a while. Perhaps in a "dry" season, when I've nothing else to play, and I'm desperate for entertainment.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Feb 8, 13 7:10 AM
This game is a very definite buy for me. LFA games are my favorites followed by Adventure games such as Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison which I enjoyed very much. So I'm looking forward to this sequel and hope these Devs keep them coming. I'm a fan and will buy the next one.

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Feb 9, 13 12:28 PM
I have waited for this sequel ever since I finished The Witches Prison, which I totally loved, so my expectiations were very high.

At first I experienced some difficulty getting the game to run as it should, but after some excellent service from CS and a little patience on my part, the fix came on Feb. 1 and after that the game purred like a pussycat. It ran fullscreen on my 24" monitor (running Windows 8), so I don't understand some fishies complaining it not running fullscreen.

The game is a real challenge, something we don't see so much these days in casual gaming. The puzzles were fun, sometimes very hard, but I didn't skip one single puzzle. Hang in there, it can be done!

As for the storyline: absolutely L O V E D it! Very nice twist at the end, although I kinda saw it coming ....

All in all, a very long awaited and very succesful sequel. I'm just a tiny bit surprised it didn't come as a CE, but who's complaining, right?

Thank you so much, Shawn and Tim, for your hard work to bring us this beautiful game. I'm just hoping it will not take as long for part 3. Which should be coming. Hence the twist, right? Please?

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Mar 4, 13 7:20 AM
I seem to remember liking the first one in this series so I bought the game after trying a few minutes of the demo. I've now played it right to the end and I liked the change from doing one HO after another. Most refreshing.

The twists and turns in this gripping tale made the game real adventure but, quite honestly, I could have done without all those puzzles. Some I did, but most I skipped just so that I could get on with the story.

I thought there were way too many puzzles and, in the end, found them incredibly irritating. The story was quite good enough without all those unnecessary interruptions.

I see there were some tech issues and I had my fair share with stuff not going into the inventory. After three new names and restarts, I finally deleted and downloaded again. After that, no problems at all.

From the ending, there just has to be a sequel. I look forward to that and will buy. I hope there will be fewer puzzles next time as I would much rather search an area for an item. However, from the reviews, I see that puzzlers really enjoy interrupting the storyline to beat their brains out so I don't hold out much hope on that !!

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Mar 8, 13 2:46 PM
For me the first two words of the title says it all, a real nightmare adventure. It became a matter of waiting for the skip to fill for one puzzle after the other without even giving the puzzles a real try.
I lost interest long before I stopped playing, for the first time ever, giving up on a game before the end.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Mar 11, 13 12:27 PM
nomatt wrote:Brilliant game. At last a grown up puzzler. I love that it doesn't hold your hand and give instructions about everything. It reminded me a little of Safecracker, you have to figure out how to do most of the puzzles which can take some thought but is very rewarding when you do, and not a hidden object scene in sight, bliss. I wish there were more games like this, great stuff.

Couldn't agree more!! Great game...it was a bit glitchy but I stuck with it and was happy I did...hopefully there will be more games like this one in the future.

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Mar 25, 13 3:48 PM
Just finished the game. I LOVE challenging puzzles, but I have to say that alot of these needed MUCH better instructions. I really enjoyed the first Nightmare Adventures game, and it also had challenging puzzles, but most of them made sense to me. Some in this game I was able to figure out, some I had to get a bit more explanation from the walkthrough and some I ended up skipping, which I hate to do. The monitor puzzle made no sense at all to me even with the walkthrough explanation. Someone mentioned Safecracker, which was challenging and fun, but as I recall it had adequate explanations of what you are trying to do. I guess there is a fine line between giving too much away and not giving any help at all. I felt like I was having to try to read the developers' minds to solve some of these.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Apr 7, 13 3:04 PM
i know i'm late to the party, but i went back and replayed witch's prison and then played turning thorn... finished it up today!

i L O V E D this game! well done, ghost ship studios! i can't wait for the sequel!

the puzzles were hard, but i found only two that i had to skip. one was because i just don't like that type of puzzle and so refused to do it and the other i just couldn't figure out, even with the helpful hint button giving me instructions.

i loved the humor in the comments and loved that there was no hand-holding, no sparkles, no "hints" that were actually just telling me what to do. i wish there were more games like this!

i liked the computer and emails... all the techy stuff that fit perfectly into the situation. i really felt like i was *there*, trying to find what i needed and figure out how to solve the dilemma i was in!

i would like to see the graphics upgraded... they felt somewhat dated. i would also like to see a better cursor system instead of a hybrid system/game cursor. i would also enjoy more voiceovers when talking to various characters, like abby, for instance.

now, to await the sequel and find out how to get out of the current situation...... not saying any more!

[Post New]by crafty_codfish on Apr 9, 13 11:19 PM
I played The Witch's Prison some time ago and found it interesting, so I was excited when I saw this game. Unfortunately, I can't say I enjoyed playing it. Waiting for the hint to fill up so I can move on is not my idea of fun. I should add here that I have played a lot of puzzle adventure games, and loved Dracula: Origin, so it's not that I lack patience with puzzles.

I persevered, only to find that toward the end the story defied logic as well. I free someone, get what's needed for the next step, but can't talk to this person to say "come with me - let's get out of here". No, they just repeat what they said previously - which I've already done! Despite this, I was able to go on to the next part of the game, leaving this person behind. That is completely silly - any rational person would try to rescue them. At least there should be a dialogue line saying something like "I'm too weak".

I'm really happy that I used a free game coupon for this game - I'd hate to have spent money on it.

babsvb1948
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by babsvb1948 on Apr 19, 13 4:15 PM
Wow, did I enjoy this game. Bought it after the demo, then kinda forgot about it. Weeks later, restarted it under a different name, and at first wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Then....I couldn't stop playing. Very thoughtfully put together. Puzzles are somewhat hard, like I like them. Some confusing, and I had to check out the walkthrough to help, but then it got very interesting. I give this game 5+ stars and glad I bought it. Well worth the $.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 27, 13 8:17 PM
Definitely not for the faint of heart. Spooky, eerie, and most of all difficult. In other words, I loved it. You need to give this one a chance. Try it, you might like it.

rpggramma
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by rpggramma on Oct 30, 13 8:26 PM
Hi all: Normally this is my kind of game; no HOs, hard puzzles, and lots of adventure; but I can't get started! I have started 4 times, downloaded twice. Even reinstalled GM, but to no avail! I played the 1st game and was happy to get this. I hope I get it working!!
I actually am here, looking for a solution!

Edited on 10/30/2013 at 8:27:26 PM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Apr 16, 14 2:02 PM
was almost done when it froze up and didn't save my profile. should ask for my money back but not worth it.

Go to: