dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Reviews for Amaranthine Voyage: The Tree of Life Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 27, 13 3:29 PM
I too see a lot of very positive reviews for this game, but I'm not feeling quite as kicked out about it as others seem to be. The graphics are very nice, I really liked the "soothing" music, and the game play was nice.

SG was standard, but I don't like the fact that it only shows the chapters you can actually play. I like to see the total chapters so I can gauge approximately how long the game may be. Finding the little blimp was quite simple and not challenging at all. Games were very simple and HOGs were a bit messy. Like the voice over (always a plus for me).

All that said, this was not a bad game, but could easily have been much better. Too much dialoge and not enough game play. A lot of shoe leather used for just one item in a lot of cases. This game did not make me want to keep playing after the demo ended, but I will recommend it for beginners or intermediate players. For a seasoned gamer like myself, it just seemed a little too tame and boring. Sorry, no buy for me today and probably not as an SE either.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may quite enjoy it. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 27, 13 5:02 PM
Not a bad game. This review is based on the trial.

PROS:
1. Artistically well drawn, has a definie style, clearly defined items, easy on the eyes.
2. Plays in widescreen in Windows, no bug or navigation issues.
3. Has voiceovers which are average to good quality.
4. Story about the "Tree of Life" is a mixture of the garden of eden and greek/roman mythology.
5. Has collectibles (two items to collect), and achievements.

CONS:
1. There is the incredibly overdone, boring, and no longer interesting "MAN IN A BLACK HOOD" - oh and he also has RED EYES (gasp!). You know, the guy borrowed from about 10,000,000 other games. Really, it should not be allowed to have that in a game.
2. The hidden object scenes and the mini-games (in the trial) were really easy by anyone's standard.
3. Story about the "Tree of Life" is a mixture of the garden of eden and greek/roman mythology (yes, its a pro and a con). Also some aspects of the "evil powers" just don't make sense (yes I know its only a game).

There is no real "wow" factor here, just a solid, fairly easy hidden object game.

Three stars out of five.

s_sgs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by s_sgs on Jan 27, 13 5:14 PM
Yes, on the owls I am having the same experience. If the other message is correct that there is only acknowledgement at the end of the game and then ONLY if all were collected would make it a real letdown.

What's fun about that? Shlep through the whole game then maybe or maybe not get acknowledgement about the achievement.

Nope don't like it.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 27, 13 8:11 PM
I enjoyed the game, and I liked the owl mystery...I guess if you just like the sound of owls hooting, and really aren't into achievements that much, it was just a little added fun thing. I did like the way they did the collectibles in this game, as I didn't stress over them. I didn't go crazy scouring each scene to make sure I didn't miss one, which I have done in some games. I thought the graphics were beautiful and interesting. And the music was ideal. Enjoyed the narrators voice also...very relaxing and soothing, and fit the storyline. I also liked the good mix of puzzles. Well done, Devs.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 28, 13 4:39 AM
Beautifully rendered graphics, and easy to play HOGs, lots of areas to explore, and lots to collect, blips, butterflies etc.

A bit irritating music (coz its the same repeated)! But what fun, mini puzzles are easy to slightly "brainy"

BUY

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Jan 28, 13 9:47 AM
BASED ON TRIAL

I'm slightly disappointed. I was excited when I noticed that this game comes from the devs who brought Final Cut: Death On The Silver Screen to us - I really loved this one!

The first ten or fifteen minutes were quite enjoyable though I must admit that I'm more into Ghost/ Psycho/ Villain/ Detective stories and the SciFi plot of Amaranthine Voyage is none of my preferencies. Achievements! (No challenge though, I'm afraid) Nice Extras with MiniGames and HOS, bells and whistles!

BUT...
... the longer I continued, the more I got ... impatient? Annoyed? It all started when I reached the "planet" or "island" or whatever this place should be named. At first glance it's a lovely place, overgrown with plants. Then, entering the temple, I felt that every location looked the same - I lost the feeling that I knew where I was, and I lost interest. And I didn't care at all for what was happening.
Furthermore, the puzzles are ridiculously easy.

I have to admit: it was a long, hard day which means my concentration and patience are on a very low level today. No enthusiasm left...

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 28, 13 11:14 AM
It's an ok game. Played advanced, but too many HOS. Got a bit bored with hunting for shaped things to move on.
Felt a bit more of a HOG, and less adventure. Would use a PCC on the SE, but wouldn't buy it.
A change from eerie haunted houses and hospitals. Finished the trial and enjoyed it, but not enough to buy CE.
Puzzles very easy too.
Might get better with time....

[Post New]by GenevievePage on Jan 28, 13 12:23 PM

Oh yeah, this one has a lot going on.
A very good story , so much different than what I'm used to . That's why I decided to give it my first review . I just adore SF and I am happy to see that somebody went across the line and did something different , finally !
Thumbs up devs !
The graphics are beautiful , you're set in the ancient ruins while beautiful relaxing music is playing .
There are a lot of achievements to earn,which I personally love and collectables (butterflies & blimps) .
The story begins with a zeppelin ride and evil spirits attacking you and trying to get the ancient artifact that you just found, causing the blimp to crash into the "tree of life."
The HO's require some interaction such as putting the cheese on the mousetrap. There are also HO scenes where you have to find 12 hammers etc. I found that interesting .
The puzzles don't seem to be hard and they are ideal for us who like to enjoy while playing games . But you can skip those if desired of course .
You have a map that shows you where you have things to do and explore . Also there is a blimp indicator that stays gold until you find the blimp in that scene. Not too well hidden, but that's a plus for me cause I don't like to get frustrated in my free time .
I think you will become absorbed in this game , at least I did .
I wanted to discover what happened to the characters and was actually really surprised with were the game led in the end .
I guess you never know until you try it .
I didn't have any second thoughts about buying this game , primarily because it has an SF theme but I would recommend it to anyone who likes relaxing but still great fun games with interesting plot . And also not overthinking stuff , no headache just pure joy .

PS:I am wondering too when is the due date .
Try not to skip credits , you won't regret it .

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jan 28, 13 1:21 PM
amazing less creayed game. This one is CE level, truely is. It's lengthy, it's full of add-ons in the game, the plot line is good and I bought into the characters with the exception of the white witch mother..
Knowing that most of these games are created in the old soviet blocs (dating myself here), I have no trouble with lips and voices not jibing together. Russian doesn't lip sync to english well.
The game play was really thought out well. This crew of devs have really done their homework in what is edgy top of the line work.
The graphics were lovely, deep lusious colours..I think the artists had their way in this one.
The bonus was a little short, but fun nonetheless. I enjoyed the vdeos of the crew and how they put this together. SO, this CE content was well done.
Play it, enjoy it and buy how you are comfortable.
kris

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jan 28, 13 6:49 PM
I played through the demo but didn't find anything specular for a CE - there is NO way I would buy this as a CE let alone a SE. So it's a no-buy for me.

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on Jan 30, 13 3:35 AM
I lasted about 10 minutes as well -- the graphics are beautiful, the voice narration is good, but the HO game was childish and obvious, and the puzzles were either fiddly or just not intuitive to me. I didn't have a clear sense of what was expected of me to do next and when I figured it out, it seemed ridiculous and meaningless to the plot of the story. I just didn't sense I wasn't going to enjoy puzzle after puzzle like this, so I uninstalled. I am seeing more and more how important it is to come here and to trust the majority opinion of forum posters. A no-buy for me; it may be your cup of tea...

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jan 30, 13 7:18 AM
What a disappointment this game was! This is (I believe) from the devs who made "Final Cut", a fabulous game that I have played at least twice (might even be three times). The graphics here were sub-par; blurry, and with colors that made my eyes ache (not literally). The story was interesting enough, but kind of silly: really, evil red spirits and a "good wisp"? I suppose it's no sillier than many storylines, but it just didn't make me want to play it. The extras to be found (SPOILER: zeppelins and butterflies) were ridiculously simple to find, the latter item in particular really standing out in any scene in which it was to be found. The mini-games that I came across were equally simplistic - I was even able to solve the "jump everything and leave one behind" game in less than a minute, and trust me when I tell you, I am NOT good at those! The HO scenes were okay, but again, somewhat blurry. This is a real issue when one of the achievements is to clear all the HOs without a mis-click. If the artwork won't allow you to reliably tell what's what, that becomes more difficult. The last two HO scenes I played were both find 12 of 1 item - I really love those, and they started tilting the balance toward "buy".

All that said, I nearly persuaded myself to buy this in the 20% off sale, because I really am a sucker for achievements, but when I realized I had already gotten over one quarter of them during the demo, I decided I would just re-download "Final Cut" (and maybe "Dorian Gray" ) and save myself some money.

ETA: another big : you have to click on the "X" to exit the map, you can't just click outside of it. Lazy programming I think, because the detail scenes that you come across can be exited either way. And the map, while useful in that it shows where there are active areas, does not allow you to jump. In a game where I was already having trouble navigating, the jump feature would have been useful and appreciated.

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 7:21:57 AM PST

Ismene
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

[Post New]by Ismene on Jan 30, 13 10:36 AM
I've played 50 minutes of the demo.

It's not a challenging game, but the graphics were clear (on my laptop, it sounds like other people with other systems have had different results) and the music wasn't bad. Those of us who read faster than the voiceover actor can talk can click through dialogue sections -- always a plus for me.

HOG scenes appear to be randomized, which I like because it increases replay value. The map shows where you can currently act, but doesn't let you pop straight there.

People who complain about "all HOGs" being dark sorcery should at least demo this. I can't speak for the red and blue spirits yet, but most of the game seems to be SF/steampunk in feel rather than mystic.

It's a buy for me, but I don't want to start a new punch card this close to the end of the month so I'll probably wait until the weekend.

Boopala
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Boopala on Jan 31, 13 4:22 PM
I LOVED this game. It's been the first in a long while that was truly enjoyable to play. I only had to check the stradegy guide twice. I loved that the puzzles were different, but well thought out and it wasn't that you always had to do puzzles to get somewhere. Also, the graphics are awesome and the story line was great! I just played The Red Riding Hood Sisters CE and the graphics were awesome too, but this game surprassed in it's detail to getting you really involved without making it so either ridiculous or hard that you have no choice but to check the SG. I highly recommed it! Kudos to the staff that worked diligently on it to give us a GREAT GAME! I also enjoyed your video feeds of you doing your work, that's a first for me and not that I wouldn't want to hear you guys talking, cause I do like that, but the way you pulled it off, made it more enjoyable! I live with a lot of pain and these games a lifesaver at times, not to mention I appreciate all who spend their lives bringing a little bit of light into others and applaud you for it, the effort, the work and the way cool attitude about it all! So THANKS and looking forward to another one from you!

Boopala
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Boopala on Jan 31, 13 4:32 PM
I just read a few reviews and I wanted to say if you have trouble like with the color and whether it's grainy or not, I have personally found that it's not the game, sadly it's my computer. Just like, for whatever reason some games won't play in big screen mode, because is says I'm in window mode and if I'm not, it still does that or the game moves SOOO slow it's maddening. I found out that after I turned off my World Community grid for this other game, it helped a lot more, but that shouldn't be happening, period. In the end, I do believe it varies. Cause I saw a lot of color in this, not as much as others, but I think in some of the scenes, the backgrounds were deliberately like that, to not ditract so much. Just my humble opnion.

I will say that yes, there are a lot more games that seem more and more alike, but for me, if the story is good and the graphics and puzzles are fun, I can live with it! Plus main reason I get the CE's is to have the bonus play game. I've played over 10 games where I didn't and missed out on some fun Bonus games.

I think these guys will surprise us hopefully with more fun stuff to come.

Take care and good day to you all!
Tina

Boopala
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Boopala on Jan 31, 13 4:39 PM
I have to agree with Calsmon...........I REALLY like the games the let you jump or move to another place by the map, that should be standard, especially if you're in a game and going to so many different places. And yes the games were easier then some I've done and the ending was cool to play, but a little bit of let down. I have found that most of the endings in these games the final battles aren't what I was hoping for. But, I will say one of my biggest pet pieves (not in this game, but I get what your saying about having to hit the X to get out of the screen, I concur it shouldn't be necessary) is when you are in the Stradegy Guide, is when you go out and come back in and then your back home, instead of where you left off at. THAT IS A PAIN AND UTTERLY idiotic.

Thanks for listening.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jan 31, 13 5:51 PM

"It looks like just another self-important CE to me, very like any number of others, but a little sillier than most. Is it just me, or are these games getting more and more far-fetched? These developers seem to be having a credulity-straining contest, and it looks as if we are going to have several winners."

Wonderful! I couldn't have said it better myself, Timbermoon!

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 1, 13 1:05 AM
After playing some truly aweful games, I rather enjoyed this one. If you don't get a "nice" picture, or you have sound difficulties, it's not the game, it is your computer. I game ALOT, so I bought a system that can handle a 1.1GB download in less than 5 minutes. So don't hate the game because your computer can't handle it. Now I realize that not everyone has the same taste, however, when I download a 1GB game, I can expect it to have numerous cut scenes, dialogue, and last longer than normal 400GB to 700GB games. Having said that, it keeps track of your collectibles and lets you know when you have one in the scene you are in, which is the first game I have come across that does that, so YAY ! I always read the achievements before I play, so I know what I need to do. I did not find the need for the map to "jump" in this game, since a few clicks of the mouse and you are where you need to be. Never even looked at the map. Never looked at the SG. As far as the black hooded guy, initially its a red spirit, if you will, and only materializes for a few, then he is transformed to his normal self. It's not like he popped up throughout the game. I enjoyed this game and the story line. I did not feel as though I was schlepping through a game just to finish it. I wanted to find out what would happen next, what I would have to do next, and how it would end. I would not consider the HOS difficult, but in a long game, who wants to sit there and truly try to figure out what they are asking for? Sorry for those that didn't enjoy this game, but I certainly did and will probably play it again, which I normally don't do with other games.

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Feb 2, 13 4:48 AM
I have to say that in all my years of playing Big Fish games, this one has got to be my favorite! It was perfectly balanced as far as challenge goes. It wasn't too easy, and wasn't too hard. I love the little riddles at the end of the HOS to get the final item. I had no bugs in the game while playing. The length of the game was great! I can't say anything negative about it. Well done!!!

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Feb 2, 13 10:44 PM
I enjoyed this game so much that I played it twice, on the same day - mostly because I didn't get all the owls the first time around (I did on the second playthrough), but partly because it was fun to play. It's also a beautiful world, and I liked immersing myself in it.

I liked the riddles for the last item in the HO scenes. I had no difficulty at all with the HO scenes - no ridiculously teeny objects, or things that don't look like what they're supposed to be, or things rendered in really weird colors that blend in with other things.

Music is relaxing and atmospheric, and I liked it. Generally, the scenes are beautifully drawn - both the game scenes, and the vignettes in which the backstory is presented. The developers obviously took a lot of care with the artistic side of the game.

The puzzles were not terribly difficult, but I don't always want a "pull out my hair" game, especially after a long work week. I would say that this game is, in a way, more like an interactive story - and I tend to like games like that.

I might even play it again!

Go to: