indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Re:Reviews for Maestro: Music from the Void Collector's Edition

[Post New]by indigobuni on Jan 31, 13 8:48 AM
Allow me to wake up long enough to comment on the newest version of Maestro. First game, yeah. Second one, um okay. Third one, wake me when it's over.

Sorry, ERS, but people are right. Same 'ol, same 'ol. There's nothing special or unique about this 3rd game in the series. If I do get it, I'll wait until the SE, so I can use a coupon.

My advice to ERS. Stop making so many sequels, take a look at some of the outstanding devs out there now (Elephant, Blue Tea, Boomzap), and come up with something new that will wow us. We're okay with sequels, but they should really be more outstanding than the previous one. Unfortunately, this one does not cut the grade.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 31, 13 9:37 AM
First, have we lost Valdy and cherbtoo?? Excellent reviewers.

Anyway...I have the first two games in this series and really enjoyed them. This one is more of the same, no new story. Nice graphics, although a bit grainy. Very nice game play. I like the HOGs, but you need to change them up a bit and not stay on the same "find this and use it to get that" idea. Gets boring real fast. Games were very simple, too simple.

As for the SG...Please people, make the type just plain type. This is very difficult to read, as it makes everything look very blurry and tires the eyes very quickly. If it weren't for the blurr, I would buy this in a heartbeat. Fancy type is NOT going to sell a game.

The game itself is almost too quiet, not much voice interaction or music build up to keep it going. Yes, I do like the voice overs, but this game needs "actors" that have some emotion in their voice to make it more believeable. Started off good, but went down hill with the next voice.

Because of the SG, I will have to think about this a while, so it will go into my puddle for maybe later. Because I have the other two games, I will probably purchase this one as well, but have to really think on it a few days. Do I really need the SG? Can my eyes put up with the blur long enough to finish the game? This game was not bad, but not exceptional either. Not really up to the usual ERS standards.

As always, try the game for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. It is okay to disagree with a review.

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Jan 31, 13 10:08 AM
Played 60 minutes in hard mode .

What should i say ? It's just too easy .

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 31, 13 10:15 AM
I love the maestro series, one of the best graphics and story lines ever, just like other series that no matter what, I have to have it when they come out because I already have collected the first ones.

This one idefinitelyly a buy for me without questions, I just have to have it, nothing else to add to here.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 31, 13 10:45 AM
indigobuni wrote:Allow me to wake up long enough to comment on the newest version of Maestro. First game, yeah. Second one, um okay. Third one, wake me when it's over.

Sorry, ERS, but people are right. Same 'ol, same 'ol. There's nothing special or unique about this 3rd game in the series. If I do get it, I'll wait until the SE, so I can use a coupon.

My advice to ERS. Stop making so many sequels, take a look at some of the outstanding devs out there now (Elephant, Blue Tea, Boomzap), and come up with something new that will wow us. We're okay with sequels, but they should really be more outstanding than the previous one. Unfortunately, this one does not cut the grade.

Totally agree. I absolutely loved The Void and the first couple of EA Poe series. But this one I deleted after 10 minutes. I agree we are totally ok with sequels. And I also agree that this developer has huge potential that I personally think they are not bothering using. Totally agree also with cbtx.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jan 31, 13 11:24 AM
Again, this game would impress anyone new to the ERS game play style.

3 modes of play, black bars disabled in hardest mode
collectibles -- new to ERS games
Nice artwork in the foggy ERS manner
Voice overs
Widescreen
Interactive silhouette based HOs
lots of puzzles/mini games
diary with tasks
Violin helper
No map (yet), perhaps none needed

I played the entire demo. Surprisingly, I was having a better time than in recent ERS offerings. Lots of tasks -- not all totally apparent without black bar info, but found items are used pretty quickly.

The story -- mysterious disappearance of 2 music students -- you are on the case to find Helga and Ludwig. The town has been invaded by strange clouds of skulls -- first task, find a way to keep them at bay. SPOILER: This was odd, I did find and use the item, which sits next to the hint button and glows when you can use it. That happened on the first appearance of the cloud, but not on the subsequent ones -- the cloud just left the scene.

This is happening at the Vienna School of music, where the two students were having a lesson. The teacher also seems to be missing. And, it's all connected to The Music of the Void.

The HOs are well done -- find and use items to find subsequent ones. If the game does not revert back to standard HOs (a complaint about the last ERS offering), then it's a nice change of pace.

I was disappointed when two early mini games had exactly the same mechanic, but continuing on, they were varied and somewhat clever.

CE extras… almost too many to list!
Repeat HOs and mini games
movies
Screensavers, wallpapers, music
bonus game play
July - December Calendar -- the Gold Bug game had January to June. If you did not get that game but have demo time left, you can have all the months!
OOPS! Never opened the Strategy Guide, so not sure how many chapters.

As mentioned above, there are collectables -- get them all and be treated to s0mething extra. I think this may be part of the core (SE) game.

I've passed on the last few ERS games, but I an tempted to buy this one.

Edited on 01/31/2013 at 3:58:21 PM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 31, 13 11:56 AM
Yet another game in a series from ERS; they certainly like producing sequels but I suppose it's easier, quicker and therefore more lucrative than coming up with a brand new game. It does seem a pity that they can't develop something that's fresh and not just churn out endless rehashes of previous games.

That being said, I did quite enjoy this demo. The puzzles were easy, the HOS a mix of standard searches and those little puzzles that ERS have become so fond of including lately, the graphics were sharp and colourful and I quite liked the violin music. The opening sequence narration was hilarious; far too over dramatic. The rest of the voices were reasonably well done.

I do wonder if ERS make all their games to fit square monitors; since some people are able to have the playing area fill their screens, I can only guess that perhaps their graphics cards compensate for this. Mine doesn't so I get either black bars or in this case, the artwork down the sides. But when devs like Boomzap, Elephant and Blue Tea make games that fill my w/s monitor, why can't ERS?

This game is what I would describe as comfortable; not hard to figure out what to do next, puzzles easy enough to solve, HOS items not impossible to find and for a nice change, collectibles that promise a surprise. And for now, comfortable is exactly what I need so I will buy this game. But come on ERS, enough of the sequels; make something new and surprise us.

_misschrissi_
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by _misschrissi_ on Jan 31, 13 12:56 PM
I am in the middle of playing another very recent ERS game, the latest in the Edgar Allan Poe series 'The Gold Bug', and (to me, anyway) the two games are so similar they could almost be the same game. Even some of the 'incidental' music is the same, and some of the sound effects (e.g. when picking items up) are the same. The graphics are incredibly similar too. I found myself just "going through the motions" in the demo, not getting particularly excited about anything, to be honest, because it's all been done before - and very recently, too . It feels like ERS have just taken the same background, music and effects from one game, changed the back story, and created another game out of it. I really wanted to like this enough to buy, as I need a new game to keep me occupied, but I won't be spending my hard-earned on this one, unfortunately. Maybe I'd buy it in a sale, but not at full price. Maybe I'm just getting to ERS-saturation point, who knows......

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 31, 13 2:42 PM
Another great game from the gamERS. I loved the first two games in the series and I am liking this one as well. Will purchase. I only wish they would update their music and background sounds. This is the same music from some of their other games. Also, graphics could be a little clearer. The story is interesting and the puzzles are great. To me, one of the background mixes sounds like people are chanting or moaning in the background. Very creepy. Could you please stop using that soundtrack in your game? Other than that, the games from this dev are remarkable.

Edited on 01/31/2013 at 2:45:31 PM PST

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Jan 31, 13 4:19 PM
After reading some of the reviews I thought I might use a PCC when this game comes out as a SE. But 30 minutes of testing showed me that it isn't even worth that to me.

I don't like this type of hidden object scene. I know many love them and I'm happy for those fishies but I just can't get my mind around them.

I too am annoyed that ERS doesn't make their games fill my monitor. I much prefer the games that do. Other developers manage to do it. My guess is that ERS doesn't because they have too many games far along in their assembly line and don't want to go back and change them.

I like the graphics but there is nothing unusual about them compared to previous ERS games.

Don't get me wrong, games don't have to be perfect to please me. I've been playing one all week where I've come across 3 errors so far and they just make me chuckle. If I think a game is good these little things don't matter. I'm just hoping that I don't get electrocuted before I finish.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 31, 13 5:12 PM
I own the first two Maestro games. There is no "continuation" in this game from the other games. This review is based on the trial version.

If you're not familiar with this series, its about playing music to summon or chase away "dark" spirits. In the other two games there was a semblance of a coherent plot. In this one, the spirits start attacking people in the town after a new student arrives. However, the spirits don't act consistently, sometimes they are terrifying and other times they are easily scared away.

PROS:
1. Well drawn as usual, what you expect from this developer.
2. Navigation is easy and clear.
3. Some Hidden object scenes are progressive, i.e. you have to find one object to locate the next, etc.
4. Game play is fairly easy, only one mini-game takes longer than a minute or two - (at least during the trial period).
5. There are voice overs which are ok, but see cons below.

CONS:
1. The game takes place in Vienna, Austria but all the characters speak perfect english without an accent, even the security guard.
2. As noted above, the game is rather easy, fast paced. I am concerned about game length.
3. Nothing new here really. Decent, but nothing stands out.

SPOILER: (possibly disturbing scene)
There is a scene where a man turns into ashes before your eyes, possible frightening for small children.

Two and 1/2 stars out of five.
1/2

Edited for spelling

Edited on 01/31/2013 at 5:15:44 PM PST

ozgenie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by ozgenie on Jan 31, 13 8:47 PM
I was really disappointed in this one. Compared to the earlier Maestro games this one was ridiculously easy. Not worth the cost of a collector's edition.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 31, 13 11:25 PM
I quit after playing the trial period about half way through because I just wasn't thrilled at all. This game is just a rehashing of the first Maestro games, and I don't feel like paying for a CE. Maybe as a SE using a free credit, but that's about all. Sorry, I'm just tired of this series and looking for innovation in my games now, like the Nutcracker and the Soaring City. Those games are worth the price of a CE!

[Post New]by Willita on Feb 1, 13 12:08 AM
Game over. - I love this kind of games, everyone has their preferences, and I like. - I have all the "Maestro" and all "Dark Tales", all I like, I enjoy playing them. -
One question, anyone know if there game after "The Phantom of the Opera"?
Excuse my English, I'm Spanish.
Regards.

Juego terminado.- Me encanta este tipo de juegos, cada uno tiene sus preferencias, y a mi me gustan.- Tengo todos los "Maestro" y todos los "Dark Tales", todos ellos me gustan, disfruto jugandolos.-
Una pregunta, alguien sabe si hay juego de continuacion de "El Fantasma de la Opera"?
Disculpad mi ingles, soy española.
Saludos

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Feb 1, 13 2:09 AM
Have finished the game and the bonus game on the middle level. I enjoyed, but I really do like the Maestro series, even though the puzzles are a bit on the easy side. I know ERS has a track record of short bonus games in their CRs, but wanted to let the pond know the "including a hefty bonus game and neat extras" promised does actually live up to hype. I'm neither superfast nor slow at the games, a little faster than average perhaps, and it took just shy of 2 hours to go through the bonus. There were plenty of puzzles and HOs, so I was quite satisfied. I think the CR is worth it since the bonus game: SPOILER does seem to wrap up the series nicely--for ERs, that is. You also find the remainder of your musical instruments in the bonus game and are able to play the extra with our favorite bony orchestra.END SPOILER

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Feb 1, 13 2:35 AM
Played 9 minutes of the demo and deleted it to buy. I have the other 2 games in the series. I like ERS games. I am not good with puzzles, but this is okay. So many say the puzzles are easy. Maybe this way I can figure out how to do them. It is snowing outside, maybe I am lucky and they call work off, and I can play my game.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 1, 13 5:56 AM
There are some really good reviews for this game, and interestingly, I agree with a lot of them, even when they disagree with one another. I have the SE of the second game in the series -- never played the first. I'm a singer, so I tend to like musical themes, I don't mind if a musical theme has been used before, including the ting-a-ling sound when you receive objects -- I find the familiarity of the sound kind of amusing and comforting. The game, for once, played quite well on my old computer, with a little slowness here and there. The story-line continues to some degree the themes of the last game, and yes, it is fairly easy to play (I only opened the SG to see what it had in it, and to check on what I was missing in one mini-game during the demo). I'm happy we're collecting objects, which I love to do. Is it the best ERS or any game out there? No. But it held my interest enough, was good enough to buy, so I did. I'll just add that I'm also an actor, and the opening voiceover was real scenery-chewing, and I agree that the later voiceovers are kind of mundane. One costume note to the developers: women in whenever this is set did not generally have sleeveless day wear -- I think this concerns the picture of Helga??? I think that was her name. Anyway, I've downloaded the game and will post and let people know what I think when I've finished it.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Feb 1, 13 6:01 AM
I LOVE the 2nd series as well. The storyline is so well thought out, its really really fants. The Maestro series are ALL related to music, 1st series: Music Of Death, 2nd this. EVEN the title are well thought out!

Yi-HE, its so good when u get a game whereby its obvious that the developers really spent the time AND effort to please the gamers and their fans.

BUY BUY BUY,

CE as well!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 1, 13 9:54 AM
I loved the game and it's another great game from the ERS Studios. Had great graphics and story continues on with the other Maestro series. The hints reload fast and voice overs great too. I only wish they would have a map, as I like it when they do. Give it 4 out 5 stars..

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Feb 1, 13 8:31 PM
I only played the demo, but it was such a drag!

In one word : boring.

Having played the previous two Maestro games, I expected this to be at least interesting (the first one was great, the second one so-so). But this...they're not even trying. It's the exact same story from the previous two, with new characters. I had my doubts with Notes of Life as to what exactly was happening with the series, since there seemed to be little advancement in the story, but never thought that they would essentially remake the same story again.

Given that it's a music-based game, there should at least be new music, but it sounds like they put the same soundtrack from the previous games. And the HOS...they're so easy and simple...you hardly have time to spend on it at all. The graphics aren't that great, either, but I would have given it a pass if the game was good.

Overall, really, really bad. Maybe the studio should end the series now, before it becomes ridiculous.

Go to: