A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Lore Mysteries: The Hunt for Truth technical issues here only

[Post New]by A1psyko on Feb 3, 13 1:10 PM
I downloaded the game with no problem. Now it won't play, locks up my computer. I tried all the wonderful suggestions above. Didn't work. My concern is the tech responses that they can play the games with no problems and the problems must be ours. When submitting an issue, after trying to work through the problems as suggested by you, still getting the same problem. I have an issue with customers being told basically "sorry, I am not having the problem so it must be you". Those words were not exact but the underlying response is the same. I usually check the technical issues before trying a game. If there are positive responses I will continue, but the responses listed in this area for this game will prevent me from purchasing. This is actually the most negative responses I have run across at BFG, disappointing. I am sure this comment will be "blocked" because it sounds negative but I really like BFG and can usually work through the problems.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Feb 3, 13 3:34 PM
The demo is playing fine so far but when I checked the journal for the first time, it shows events numbered to where I am in the game but does not allow me to see the first pages. I haven't needed to consult it and have been using just the task list so far but wanted to see what was written in the journal. Events are numbered starting from 2 and 4 so it looks like other things are already in there that I haven't read yet but now I can't get to the earlier notes. The journal completely fills the edges of my screen so I can't see whether there's a back or forward arrow at the corners. Anyone else having this problem? Do I need to change my resolution or something? I've never needed to do that for any of the 100+ games I already own so for a new game like this, the devs should have handled that problem themselves.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Feb 3, 13 4:26 PM
Okay, I found that the only way I can flip the pages of the journal is to change to widescreen view. This doesn't bother me as much but I wonder why I have to do it at all in order to see the whole journal. My computer is eight years old and this is the first game I've ever had to play in widescreen mode. All the other games automatically load in fullscreen and I've been able to see everything. This is the first one that doesn't. So now I have to play with the black bars at the top and bottom and it just doesn't feel the same. I don't feel like I'm immersed in the gameplay and feel as if I'm reading a picture book instead. I do like the vividness of the colors and the animations are top notch, especially when the horse and carriage are in motion, so there are things that I do appreciate about this game but I agree that it's mostly all HO scenes one after the other. But I'm not liking having to stay in widescreen mode. I guess I could switch back and forth from playing in fullscreen and switching to widescreen when I want to read through the journal pages.

newbe5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by newbe5 on Feb 3, 13 6:25 PM
I had no problems downloading the game and I would have bought it but for one thing no sound any ideas?

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Feb 4, 13 3:15 AM
Heya Fishies,

I'm so sorry to see all the problems you are experiencing!

A1psyko - I'm sorry that one of our responses upset you. As our means to give tech advise via the Forum is limited, we have to resort to the information that is given in our help articles. Every now and then we will try to see if we encounter the problem here in the office, especially when we see more Fishies having the same problems. This is not meant to point the finger at anyone but to make sure that we don't overlook any possibilities. In many cases when we encounter games not playing though we experienced that a small update can often help to fix the problem or at least relax the situation a little. When we make such a suggestion you usually will also see us advising to contact our dedicated Tech Support as this way the problem can be look into closer as they will also be able to identify if the problem is directly with the game or not.

FishyFemale - That is indeed a bit odd, especially since it seems that your computer has no problems with other games. As you mention that it is a bit dated by now though it could be that some of the software you have installed could do with an update as especially newer games require more and more performance for a computer to run properly. You can always check if that's the case by following the steps here. It's also always a good idea to make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements for a game as you could experience problems otherwise.

newbe5 - When a single game doesn't have any sound but all other programs and games run fine, it could help to uninstall and reinstall the game as it could be that some of the sound files were damaged upon installation.

If this doesn’t help, our Technical Support will be more than happy to have a further look at this with you so you can enjoy your game again! To get help faster it would be a great help if you could include a Dr. Felix report. You can contact them 24/7 by clicking on the green envelope at the top-right of this page. On the next page you can find the Contact Us link on the bottom-left.

I hope this helps!

bfgBiwa

csmith116
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by csmith116 on Feb 5, 13 6:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Working on them now. Windows 8 doesn't have a place I can go to to update drivers, etc. There also no longer shows how to do a Windows automatic update. I will keep working at it.
Also, I tried to send a tech note but oops on that one too. Time to let Dr. Felix help (again).
Bessie Mae

bfgIzara wrote:Hey Fishies!

Thanks for letting us know about those issues! If you'd like to try some troubleshooting steps for those freezing and slow game issues I would first check for any <a href="http://www.bigfishgames.com/help/index.html?rn=158">video card driver updates</a>. This is one of the pieces that helps the game to run properly.

NancySusan: That screen size issue may mean that the resolution is not set correctly for the game. Please check <a href="http://www.bigfishgames.com/help/index.html?rn=537">here</a> for instructions on trying those adjustments.

Thanks for posting the message, csmith116! Usually that message indicates that the <a href="http://www.bigfishgames.com/help/index.html?rn=158">video card driver</a> needs to be updated. You're welcome to try those steps on your own (click on the blue text for instructions), but I would also definitely share that message with <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/144284.page>Tech Support</a> so they can offer some specific troubleshooting steps for you.

Best of luck!

bfgIzara

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Feb 7, 13 9:38 AM
Hey csmith116,

There should definitely be a way to check for updated drivers on the Windows 8 system! If you've still had trouble with the game or issues contacting Tech Support just click here to submit a support ticket via email. Also, if you're a Big Fish Game Club member you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

I hope this is helpful and keeping my fins crossed that this gets sorted out quickly for you!

bfgIzara

Edited on 02/07/2013 at 9:39:10 AM PST

Go to: