shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shripch on Feb 3, 13 10:13 PM
This is a beautifully crafted game with lovely graphics, a complicated and interesting story, just enough interactive HOS, and well designed puzzles. It's delightful, and I'm really enjoying it. Well worth the price for the CE!

trish999
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trish999 on Feb 3, 13 10:51 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say a few words about this game. I don't normally write reviews but wanted to on this one.

This game is awesome. The puzzles were a little on the easy side but I am glad they were because there were so many of them. It took me a little over 6 hours to complete the entire game including bonus. (No hints or skips, yay)

The HO's were few and super easy. I bet I didn't spend more than a couple of minutes on each one of them. I wish there had been more HO's but it didn't take away from the fun of the game.

I am definitely looking forward to the next sequel.

Well done developers on this fantastic game!!!!!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Feb 4, 13 3:55 AM
This is a lovely game from Boomzap, I would rate it medium difficulty, some of the puzzles were easy but a few were on the stressful side for me.

The main game took me 5 hours to play and the bonus 50 minutes

Thanks for always having achievements, Boomzap- the only reason for me to spend full CE price on a game.

I was a little disappointed by the "mature audience" warning as there was nothing different in this game or from others to warrant such a warning and it was a let down to find the same old fairy/monster game after expecting "more" or "different" and especially "mature"

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Feb 4, 13 4:45 AM
WOW another CE worth buying! Great graphics, beautifully rendered scenery. Easy to mid-difficult mini puzzles (whats with the puzzles that had all the symbols in Mrs whatever her's name house)? I just cant figure it out, but I also refused to look at strategy guide. Mini games are supposed to be easy to solve esp casual mode. And even if its difficult, it should be understandable. Whats with rotate to see the image. I rotated and NO images? Urggh....

But I had lots of fun, collectibles are fairies. I really dont know whether SG will have the locations of the fairies. I Dont use SG for CE whenever possible. Spoilt the fun otherwise

BUY

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Feb 4, 13 8:17 AM
Loved the first game and love this one....everything else has been said already. This is a MUST BUY and I will buy the Collector's edition on this one!! Once again the developer's have hit it out of the park!!

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Feb 4, 13 8:45 AM
Don't read this post, please. The review is based on the demo only.

I liked the first Otherworld because the story was interesting, the sceneries were beautifully drawn and the puzzles quite enjoyable.
Omens of Summer seems to continue both plot and game features (achievements, collecting fairies etc.) - as far as I can anticipate. I really appreciate that there are not too many HOS, and the few I've stumbled upon were pleasingly different from the usual stuff.
Unfortunately the mini games are very, very easy (though some of them quite original). I prefer puzzles with a little more brain teasing qualities.

I'm not overwhelmed, but this game is promising. I hope some fishies can give further information on the bonus game?! Not sure if I'd need this as a CE or if I'll wait for the SE. But I do know I will wait for a sale since the game did not grab me that much.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 4, 13 6:03 PM
I am in the minority, obviously (in more ways than one). I thought this was just awful. Now we're back to crows again, (CAW!) and a man in a hood.

Voice overs - were these meant to be so funny? These had me laughing out loud. And the dialog (Fool! I need your help crow!). Too much.

I could only stand ten minutes of the trial. FWIW, the drawing and animation was done well enough.

On my PC, the "widescreen" unfortunately had black bars top and bottom, also known as "letterbox." I did not care for that.

Definitely a game that would appeal more to the XX population. For me, not so much. As always, give it a try and see.

Two stars

Ivonova
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Ivonova on Feb 5, 13 11:04 AM
I usually just lurk and watch, but this game drew me into making a statement. GOOD. Very good. Very, very good. I was impressed. I seldom get pulled into a game and play to the exclusion of everything else. But this one did it. Of course, as soon as the face of Ms. Thomas was seen in the lighthouse, I knew...evil lurked in the heart of (wo)man. LOL, sorry, could not resist. Oops, did I just tell my age? Suffice it to say I can remember when we wrote our own games or played them off of cassette tapes. I know, I know. The stone ages. It has been fun to see how far we have come. Again, this was a very good game and I am impressed. Well done.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Feb 6, 13 10:10 AM
Oh dear! guess i must be the one who was not impressed with it at all.. The first game was enjoyable because there was the air of mystery about it and the graphics were outstanding but when that talking crow came on screen it turned me right of, also i do not think the graphics were up to the quality of the first game.

I admit I was eager to try the demo because of the first game and did try to get into the feel of it but after twenty minutes had to delete.
A no buy for me.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Feb 7, 13 7:23 PM
A really fun game. Lots of mini-games. Very tricky and you have to use your wits!!

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Feb 8, 13 12:44 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I didn't realize until I'd demoed it that it was a sequel. I remember playing the first 2 or 3 times as I loved that one too. This one had very few HOS (YAY!) and very intriguing and different puzzles (double YAY!) Also, what HOS there were, were interactive in a fun way. The game played smoothly and was a long game (this was good as I had an entire evening to kill). Played all but bonus chapter in just under 6 hours (and won an achievement for that). Played the bonus chapter this morning - it simply continues the story but doesn't wrap it up so there seems that there will be another sequel. Also, if anyone is weighing CE vs. waiting for SE - there's your info.

Thanks to cbtx for a great review - I count on yours as we definitely like the same sorts of games.

Edited on 02/08/2013 at 12:45:14 PM PST

pinkwitch12
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwitch12 on Feb 8, 13 4:29 PM
allow me to add my voice for a rave review of another great game in this duo which I pray becomes a series. Riveting and lovely artwork, and a sweet not too dark storyline. MCF this is not. Wow...loving that there were challenges but nothing too hard for older eyes to see. At no time did I find myself saying WTH is that tiny bit of HO thingy. Lots of help, got the CE without flinching after playing the first one. Must do both for best effect. Rated YAY For good gaming.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Feb 10, 13 3:10 AM
Just finished the whole CE (and got all achievements, yay!) and WOW what an EXCELLENT game!

Lovely charming visuals, sounds and music and a great story. The best part were the minigames/HO scenes, they were so unique, interactive and fun to do; really very well crafted. And so many of them. Some of them takes a bit to figure out what to do, but when you know, you can finish all without any skips!

Also loved finding all of the fairies, and the three portals with different characters and stories.

What can I say, I just love Boomzap games; they never fail to amaze me with their charming and fantastic crafted games. I cannot wait for their next game in the Otherworld series, and also the Botanica series, as I really loved that game as well

tangawarra
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by tangawarra on Feb 11, 13 7:40 AM
I loved the first Otherworld game, but this one was quite disappointing. It looks nice, but that's about it. It is WAY too short and WAY to easy. It took me under two hours to complete (excluding epilogue) in hardcore mode with no hints and only one look at the strategy guide.
I bought it because I liked the first one, but wouldn't buy it again. Total waste of money. There are lots of puzzles, which is something I usually like, but they are so so easy!
Also the story didn't make sense (you make a crown for the Nyx and suddenly he's okay with the disappearance of his daughter??) the villains were so not scary - unlike in the first one.
So, if you're on the lookout for something even a little challenging, give this one a miss.

asccsa
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by asccsa on Feb 13, 13 12:30 PM
VALDY, where are you ? I always watch your review to decide if I buy the game or not. Please give us some news.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Feb 16, 13 8:52 AM
i am among these who are not impressed at all and it seems to me this game is not so good as the first one;i agree with fishes who find it too easy,and i think it is not a fairy tale for mature,but for under 14!!!perhaps it is time to find another way to open padlocks than acid,and to put oil on rusty things to make them work!try and tell me if it works!!!!and i include all devs in the cristicism!sometimes i feel like somebody almost stupid when the game ask me things like that!and i don't like that feeling!

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Feb 17, 13 4:23 AM
blown away with the fun and the interesting puzzles. There is no explanation but those puzzles are sane enough that with thinking one can come up with what to do and that I enjoy and applaud. There are new and different puzzles that I have not seen before, so I do not understand those who complain that this is not fresh. The beauty of the graphics means that even the bad guys are beautifully rendered, no gross images here thank you like drooling ugly rabbits and guts hanging out bodies thanks for making it all interesting and beautiful. Some Hid obj are like strip malls, a jumble of dirt and ugliness, not so here. again thanks so this is a buy and I hope there will be more like it.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 18, 13 2:18 AM
I have no comprehension as to the fact that I was immediately hit with " Not suitable for ages under 14". I'm over an hour into the game and I have to tell you, I've played some sick, twisted games where I awake in a friggin sanitarium and I have to escape while helping others. So, unless there are mitigating circumstances unbeknown to me, I don't get it. The game is lovely! I was not bothered by the puzzles, and while there may be some games that some may consider too easy, sometimes it's nice to just sit back and play a game and not have to break a brain cell to figure out what to do next. Sometimes, just playing a game is enough for me. Beautiful graphics, lovely voice overs, not v. complicated, but at the same time it is compelling to find out what's going to happen next. Achievements, YAY! Collectibles, YAY! Boomzap, YAY! It's all good!! Heck my kids were playing "rated M for maturity, violence, blood, gore" games when they were like 11 ( different game system, not to be mentioned here, shhhhhh) People, lighten up and just enjoy the game for what it is. Having said that, I have yet to read reviews on ANY game where everyone liked it.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 18, 13 9:46 PM
So just finished the game and wanted to add a couple of things. < May include SPOILERS> This is the first game that I actually did not mind the whole portal idea. You jump in, do what you have to do, and jump out. 3 different locations and all very beautifully done!! I tell ya, if you don't have HD on your monitor, GET IT! At the end when you are having to fight and doing all of the puzzles, WOW, it was like I could just reach out and grab it for myself. EXCELLENT job!! I was not only captivated by the graphics, artwork, scenes, but also with the task at hand. Finished in about 4 hours, did not have any problems with finding objects, or the puzzles which were a little bit more innovative. Sure there was a slider puzzle, but the way they presented it was awesome. This is definately a game I will play again!! Thanks Boomzap and BF, loved it and impatiently waiting for a sequel!!

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Feb 21, 13 4:13 PM
I purchased this game on BOGO weekend and it was certainly worth the free price. Lovely graphics hooked me in, interesting characters (other than the little girl who was a cypher) including a scarecrow kept me playing, and a bit of plot helped too although the story didn't make sense sometimes.

The puzzles were amazingly simple, corny, and silly, like matching and simple tile pictures. This was definitely a child's game, the 14+ warning notwithstanding. One segment even involved clicking on pictures to tell a story. As I play on a Mac, I noticed a great inconsistency from one puzzle to another - one required me to drag my finger across the mouse pad for long periods of time, and the next just needed a light finger-tap to maneuver game pieces.

HOs were not headache-inducing but did, I have to admit, display very good grammar, spelling and punctuation. That has to be a first!! The devs knew what things were called! Wow! Game elements included the obligatory valve, hammer and saw, used in the usual way. Nothing new here at all.

The bonus game took about 75 minutes to complete. I had found 56 out of 60 hidden fairies during the main game, but they just disappeared once the bonus started. All in all this was just an average game with pretty pictures. I had missed the first game and, from what others have said in this forum, it sounds like a better choice, so maybe I will try the demo for that one.

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 4:14:55 PM PST

Go to: