Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Feb 4, 13 5:14 PM
It was so slow - I only played 6 minutes and was too irritated with the slowness. When I play games it's for relaxtion, not more irritation.

Edited on 02/06/2013 at 1:56:57 AM PST

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Feb 4, 13 10:39 PM
Cromaxgal,I didn't have any problems with speed.I wasn't sure when I first started to play,but I did quite enjoy the game.
There is mention on another post that their systems weren't up to date,perhaps your video card needs to be updated.I have had problems with 2 other games that ran slower than molasses.I still haven't found out why.You also didn't say if you were on a laptop or PC.

[Post New]by Butterflyshrimp on Feb 5, 13 12:29 AM
I thought this was an action adventure game. My mistake! It's an interesting game but the most frustrating game I've ever played, and the S..L..O..W..E..S..T! Honestly, everything about the game is very slow, including the voice overs. (Mainly the game is backtracking...endlessly) The fastest thing in this game was the hint button which mainly worked in HOS's. I made myself finish it (I thought...If there's a sequel I will glady "skip" it). I did have a few glitches (RE: In one HOS I clicked on an item from the left side of the scene & an item from the right side went into my inventory. Other places I was told I could not use an item when I knew I could). I've already unstalled the game & will never play it again. I had demoed the game before buying & hope everyone else does also. I normally won't say anything about a game if I don't like it, but in this game, felt I had to. If you like a long game where you have plenty of time to kill, lots of backtracking to the same few scenes & trying to figure out what to do next, IMO you would like this game. For me, I'm off for a fast paced adventure game. This just was not my kind of game but others might love it.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Feb 5, 13 6:23 AM
WOW! HOS with words or shapes, good storyline, interactive hidden HOS. Small objects though, but easy to play through. Quite a bit of forwards and backwards. Would be nicer with an interactive map.

Still fun to play and ok with a free stamp

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Feb 5, 13 12:15 PM
I really wanted to like this game. It just looked like it would be fun and not too stressful, an older type of game like the Murder She Wrote games. But it is not, unfortunately, that type of game. It's "clunky". That's the word that comes to mind in describing it. Just "clunky". Slow moving with lots of glitches in the cursor that are so annoying it stops all game play while you try to figure out what you are supposed to be picking up. In some scenes I just couldn't stand it any longer! I knew there had to be something I was supposed to be collecting to use later, but I couldn't get the cursor to turn into a hand. Later, when I returned to the same scene the cursor would work. Too much work for too little enjoyment, No buy for me.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 5, 13 3:46 PM
This review is based on the trial period.

PROS:
1. Graphics/drawings up to good, (not great) standards.
2. Story is interesting, even though not new (your skiing partner gets hurt and lost, you have to find her, she's being held somewhere by evil someone, etc.) Ski slopes reminded me of last Phantasmat game (which was a little better).
3. There are never too many objects in your inventory. When you get something, you use it almost immediately (a plus for me ).

CONS:
1. See tech issues thread - Brightness control.
2. Voice over - the woman's voice sounds almost bored, no expression as she speaks, and the volume is a little lower than normal.
3. Navigation arrows vary in location (right, left, down), just enough to be annoying.
4. While most object are used sensibly, in the demo one or two were not (IMHO).
5. You have to click on keys to turn them.

All in all seems like a decent to good game.

Three stars out of five

sackese
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by sackese on Feb 6, 13 9:47 AM
So far so good. But there is one annoying thing with the game. There is a humming noise all the time, which is annoying.

It is the background sounds because when I put down the sound for effects the humming also is reduced.

b4nu
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by b4nu on Feb 7, 13 10:07 AM
Fabulous game! Especially when I got it for free with a game credit. I agree it was frustrating at times, but when I finished it, I actually felt proud. I'm quick to complain when I feel a game is crappy, so it's only fair to post praise when it's due! A walkthrough would have been nice, as well as a map, but in my opinion this developer is definitely on the right track! )))))))))

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Feb 8, 13 12:41 PM
This is based on the full game!
I liked a game a lot, almost I didn't buy it, because I had the problem on the note outside the skilift. I uninstall and installed it, and it worked ! From there I never had any other tech. problem.
I felt some times frustated because of the lack of direction, the hint system worked when I remembered a certain task in some room.
I thanks a lot to J. H., who made a nice walkt. Without this, maybe I didn't finish it yet.
The Hanoi buildind puzzle, on the sewing machine in the room where Elizabeth laid down, was extremely challenging and tedious (IMHO)! I had to pass one by one the threads! I couldn't use the three poles, as always on this kind of puzzle.
Overall, it's a nice game for some new Devs. I'm looking forward for the 2nd. part, and I'm sure will be a more polished game!!!
Please, make the 2nd. end with more closure than this ending!
Thank you BF and ColorBrushStudio, good luck to your team !

ETA: I suggested to play this game in the same day, if not, could be you'll be lost in the story, at least it happened to me ! Excuse my English!

[Post New]by SIRSLIMMYEEL on Feb 8, 13 8:27 PM
I liked the music (PS I'd give them an "F" for spelling.)

Edited on 02/08/2013 at 8:29:34 PM PST

[Post New]by yellotxrosa on Feb 10, 13 12:38 AM
This is on the entire game!!!! Good show!!!! Do not normaly play without a little help from the forums but this was a WOW game. Had to use a lot of hunt and peck and yes the music was a little grateing on the nerves and a lot of things were not usual but there were no tec problems with what I download, was fustrated due to no real direction but once I got into the game, finished it on my own and with no real walk through except for the people on here, I felt I could do it again and will !!!! Looking forward the the next part. Congrats to the BF and the peop;e at ColorBrushStudios. I do not usualy put anything on the forums but had to give credit where credit was due on this one. I am a Hidden Object Game nut so its real hard for me to pick any games I do not like. Four big stars on this one.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 11, 13 6:57 AM
Had to stop playing, my irritation with the language was taking over my enjoyment of the game! I think I will go back in a few days and try to finish it. Hopefully I can *get over* the poor english, this has never happened to me before, for some reason this game just got under my skin........very strange. Not a bad game if the language had been fixed up...........

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Feb 26, 13 3:15 PM
I thought this game was one of the better ones for a SE. ..I don't mind going back and forth..if one is smart when you get an inventory item you need to go back and use it right away, as if you collect to many items you do forget where you need to go...what I do and it is helpful is if there isn't a map make your own with references that way you don't get so frustrated....or not. ...thank you and new dev's for this one...it was well worth the price... with games like this you will keep us coming....

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Feb 26, 13 3:24 PM
You folks talk about slowness...if you go to the chat area and talk with a live person on the feed and tell them they will direct you Dr. Felix and they will trouble shoot your problem.. ..they did it for me on this game...I told them I cleaned my cookies, emptied the recycle bin, rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled and I got fed up so that is what I did...JMO...

Edited on 02/26/2013 at 3:25:42 PM PST

BASED ON DEMO

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 5, 13 4:07 AM
BASED ON DEMO

One For The DD List

Story: You’re alone in a foreign snow-bound country, you friend has disappeared, and the only thing for you to do seems to try to reach the mysterious mansion, Manor Ardennes.

Developer: ?
Release Date: Feb 2013
Extras: Teddy bears? Did someone mention teddy bears?

It took me precisely one hour to complete the first chapter, which looks promising for the length of the game, as there are 7 chapters in all. The emphasis is on HOs, of which there are many. I have no problem with that – I like lots of HOs.

The difficulty I have in liking this game is the weather. That wind is already driving me nuts!

Seriously, I found I had no idea what to do next way too often for my tastes, and the game seemed to go very slow for me, perhaps for that reason. But, an hour and I still haven’t even started on my rescue mission?

I won’t rush to buy this one, but I might be grateful for a few snow scenes come our (downunder) summer, and am intrigued by teddy bear comments of another reviewer, so it goes on my Daily Deals list.

Game of the Year! [Part 1]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Mar 13, 13 12:33 AM
[Part 1 of 2]

This is a review of the entire game. I'll start out by saying I thought this game was utterly fantastic! This may have been the best game I have ever played here and I nominate it for Game of the Year! Although I loved the game, let me qualify my comments. Usually, when someone says it's the best game they've played, you expect that the game is innovative or offers something that has not been offered before. That is not the case with this game. Basically, the format, layout, and interface don't offer anything new and the game does not have all the features that some games have. When you first start the game, it will seem like many other games you've played. However, in the old days with arcade video games such as Breakout, Space Invaders, and Missile Command, the expression was: "Easy to Play, but Hard to Master." In other words, those games of the past didn't have great graphics and they were repetitive, but they were a load of fun to play. For me, that is the bottom line of any game. With this game, Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories, the bottom line for me was that the game was a ton of fun to play and it was very long, and that's what matters the most to me.

Now on to the details. The game has a standard interface with a Diary, Inventory Tray, Task List, and Hint icon. The Hints work both in HOS and the game itself. If you get the game after reading this review, you will have the updated version. There was one bug in the original version, which has now been fixed. I encountered absolutely no bugs or glitches in the updated game and it it performed flawlessly. It filled my 24" widescreen monitor and was not slow for me, but performed very quickly. The graphics were fine and so were the music and sound effects.

[Continued in Part 2]

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 1:01:43 AM PST

Game of the Year [Part 2]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Mar 13, 13 12:34 AM
[Part 2 of 2]

I don't like HOS and prefer pure Adventure games, but the HOS in this game did not bother me. There were only 23 HOS in the game (both word lists and silhouettes), there was no random click penalty, and the hint meter recharged quickly. I finished most HOS in 1.5 to 2 minutes. The puzzles were very enjoyable. Many of them were new puzzles instead of the same old puzzle types we've seen many times before. These novel puzzles were enjoyable and provided just the right amount of difficulty for me. Not too easy and not too difficult. The Skip button recharges quickly. There were also voice overs in the game, which I enjoyed, but the acting may have been a little off, and that just made me laugh, but I still enjoyed them.

For me, although most of the gameplay was not novel, it was the intangibles, variety, and length of the game that appealed to me. The developers took the best aspects of all the other games on the market and put them into this game. That's why I enjoyed it so much. You start out at a ski lodge and find a note from your friend who is in trouble, so you go look for her. You play the early game in a snow-covered environment and then travel to the mysterious manor to find your girlfriend. This is a totally different environment and adds variety to the game. Then you find the soul of a bride and have to fine 5 items for her, which then leads to the climax. There were so many different things to do in the game that there was never a dull moment. This is a Standard Edition (SE) and yet it took me over 10 hours to complete it! Ten hours of non-stop fun is why I enjoyed this game so much. When the game ends, it promises a sequel.

For the sequel, I recommend having a Collectors Edition, an interactive map, achievements, and a way to lock the inventory tray in the up position. I have taken 1/2 points off this game's rating for not having them.

I loved playing this game, I highly recommend it, and give it 2 thumbs up. I rate this game a 9.5 out of 10 and look forward to the sequel.

[End of Review]

Edited on 03/15/2013 at 1:39:51 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Mar 27, 13 5:51 PM
well thank --- that is finished! one of the most boring games i have ever played!!!!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 7, 13 12:09 AM
Just finished the demo and really enjoyed the old style of graphics and it was fun. I was ready to purchase and..... the brightness of the game changed the brightness of my pc.... I am not going to purchase this game!!!!! I dont like system changes unless notified.

Happy gaming for those of you who liked the game.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 27, 13 2:43 AM
Seems as though you either like it, or hate it. Personally I liked it. I admit I got a little frustrated trying to get the friggin ski slope to work, ahem...but after that everything was peachy. I personally did not encounter any "slow" game play, or cut scenes. I also basically muted the sound and music and just went from there. I wish there would have been at least an interactive map letting you know where actions were available, but then I had to remind myself this wasn't a CE. HOWEVER it is 2013, so an interactive map would have been nice. This game was copyrighted in 2013, so I am assuming it's new, but some things were a bit "dated". It certainly did not take away from the game play and for the most part, your diary sort of told you what you had to do next, as well as the task bar. Puzzles were easy and the hint/ skip button filled up pretty fast, or maybe I should say "thawed out" pretty fast. I liked it, but can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Go to: