Re:Reviews for Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 7, 13 1:38 PM
Another great game from ELEPHANT.. I love the voice, sounds like a pirate.. and the graphic's are so good, along with the music. Puzzles are fun to play and story is too. It has a map and tasks are listed you need to do at that location Who could forget about the flaming bird.. Wow... Just love it and will give this one a 5 out of 5 stars.. I couldn't wait until I finished the trial to buy it.. Think I have a problem?

Edited on 02/07/2013 at 1:39:49 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 7, 13 4:11 PM
I agree with NancySusan's review. Also there is a point where you have to clean off cobwebs and the tool you must use is a big floor broom. Really? If you actually used that you would knock everything onto the floor.

Even though the voice over is well done, having a villian behind a mask takes something away from his character.

A plus: Keys turn without the extra click (or clicks as with some developers)

With all that, still not a bad game, but not worth the CE price for me.

Three stars out of five

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Feb 7, 13 4:19 PM
Review after playing demo (casual) - I quite like this game!

Good story line. Graphics - the usual beautiful, sharp ones from this developer. Voices - very fitting, especially the "pirate". Music - seems to fit the story but I really don't use the speakers throughout a game...just to hear how they sound in the beginning few minutes of demo. The puzzles haven't been overly difficult thus far. The H0 scenes are quite nice and a bit interactive. It is good to see most items "fit" the time period and the game...no cell phones, etc.

Possible spoiler: The collectibles are quite easy to find.

It is not hard (so far) to remember where something is needed once you find it a few scenes further. I didn't look at the SG so cannot comment on its helpfulness. The hint button works well - I used it once just to see. It hasn't been needed much so far. I like the map although when I checked it, it showed nothing anywhere to be done but actually there was.

I had no glitches - technical or otherwise.

I was ready to move right on when the demo suddenly ended! Arghhhh!

This is absolutely a must-have for me...but not sure as CE or SE.

Beautiful game!!!!

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Feb 7, 13 5:00 PM
i might buy this as an SE, but certainly not as a CE and it's mainly because i am getting very tired of the same formula. no thinking necessary. i played the demo on hardcore and still i get the black bar hints and tips when i click on something. i really wish devs would give us a mode to play that is *truly* "hardcore". other than the lack of sparkles (i HATE sparkles! LOL) there really isn't much difference that i can see between the easiest mode and the hardest. sure, i can't skip puzzles in the hardest, but i almost never skip them anyway.

elephant games used to be cutting edge and i looked forward to every new game. now, they are much like the other, also very prolific, developer whose games i seldom buy anymore because i'm SO tired of the formula.

i will say that it's a plus that elephant seems to change the music for every game and sometimes the graphics are a little different and that does help. however, like others, i am peeved by the anachronisms (most notably in the demo was the bank's night deposit box!) and even more peeved by the fact that each and every task is the same, game to game. find the glass cutter because anything else would break something behind the glass. find the hands to the clock... find the screwdriver, find the knife/sword (oh wait, it's too dull... sharpen it.) and then, after using it, it disappears from my inventory... and behold! right in the next scene, i need something sharp once again! why was i not allowed to keep my nice sharp knife? now, i have to find another one? boo.

so, i'll give this game three out of five, only for the music and lovely scenery. as for game mechanics and the OVERLY easy... and abundant... HOSs, there go your two stars.

please, elephant! some of us like to THINK... not just enjoy the scenery! give us a mode where there is a true choice to make the game more challenging.

and, i know that based on the reviews for the second "nightmare adventures" that just came out, some fishies will complain "oh, this is too HARD!" but there ARE some us out there who LOVE those games with NO hand-holding.

chimeras holds my hand and is too formulaic. i'll put it in my "i'm on the fence" folder. might use a PCC that's getting ready to expire, but i certainly won't shovel out the bucks for the CE.

Edited on 02/07/2013 at 5:01:41 PM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Feb 7, 13 5:21 PM
Honey Hush ! Now this is what I'm talking about ! This game is off the hook wicked fun and gorgeous to boot ! Let me tell you the next time I attend a town festival I'm keeping my peepers on high alert because it's very obvious this dude is ticked off big time and he is hell bent on getting his revenge and he doesn't care who he has to take in order to get it. Somebody somewhere in this quaint little town ticked this guy off and in a big way. This is one creepy wicked looking dude and I love his coat he has on it's long and it just flows in the wind. Yep you might want to think twice about spending your vacation in this not so quaint little town. We all know every town has it's secrets and in this town their secret has been unleashed and is determined to take this town and the people who wronged him down. I always knew musician's were not to be toyed with and this dude is living proof.

Holy Catfish what can I say except this game is simply one huge piece of awesomeness ! Elephant is proving they are a force to be reckoned with and could very well take over if they wanted to. This developer is forever churning out flawless and awesome games and for me this one is their best yet.

I love the direction they took with the graphics this time around and I hope this is the direction they plan on keeping I absolutely love love love these graphics they are the hand drawn kind and they are so detailed and the colors are so bold it is a feast for the eyes. The story is dead on the voice overs are very well done. Honestly this game is absolutely flawless one of their best yet. I was totally lost in this game when I played the demo and just in awe of the beauty of the artwork.

There are collectibles cards and animals. The hos are absolutely gorgeous and interactive. The puzzles so far have been really cool not hard which is good. The hint button works in and out of the hos and as always with this dev. the hint system is very helpful. For me this is truly a work of art and very worthy of the ce title as all of this dev's games are. This developer is so full passion when they create games and this one just oozes it. It's so easy to tell that this developer loves what they do. Give the demo a try it's so worth it. Thank you Elephant for all the passion and beauty and thank you Big Fish for another adventure. Have fun everybody !

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Feb 7, 13 11:02 PM
Seemed like a game I would really like, but could not get far into it since the cursor moved so sluggishly and it took so much time up, that I did not get to finish the trial portion when my time was up. I would have bought it and gotten the four game credits but this problem really got in the way of enjoying the game. Maybe they will fix it by the time they get out the SE version

Edited on 02/07/2013 at 11:03:34 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 8, 13 12:30 AM
I did go ahead and buy it, since it was available at the sale price, and I didn't have any problems. Of course I did make sure when I got to the boat that I got every thing I could, so I didn't hit the block, thanks to those who shared the problem. I thought it was a good game, long and involving, which I really like. Story was interesting with a twist that I wasn't expecting. Music fit, and it was just fun to play and just challenging enough that I didn't get frustrated. Hint system is so good, I didn't have to use the guide hardly at all. I think this is one of the better ones that have come out lately, and I really enjoyed it. Bonus game was good too, and I am saving the bonus puzzles to do later on after sleep. I appreciate that extra. I usually don't replay those that are just repeats of puzzles, mini games or HOS that we already did in the main game. So something different is nice. And it is a beautiful game, as well

Edited on 02/08/2013 at 12:31:37 AM PST

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Feb 8, 13 7:39 AM
I feel sorry because usually I really love Elephant Games, own most of their releases and consider them as CE-worthy in general since we get so much more from them than the average developer offers nowadays.

But in this case I have to agree with almost everything CathyCatfish pointed out.
I don't mind if a plot has been done over and over again if the game itself is well done and has some kind of a special twist. Chimeras doesn't seem to show anything extraordinary, and yes, I'm also more than tired of looking for screwdrivers, clockhands etc (I'm surprised there was no need to find a crowbar yet, but I definitely would be if this didn't happen later on).
I admit this concern is negligible and doesn't spoil any fun - if there is real fun. But I agree again: I'm in need of more challenge in the games I'm supposed to spend time and money on. Unfortunately, this happens rarely. Maybe I'm too experienced, have too much practice.
Maybe on sale?!

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Feb 8, 13 3:20 PM
This looks like another beautiful offering from this developer and I am excited. I just have one question if some fishes can help me. I am not very far into the game and have had 3 HOG's so far darn it. I am not a big fan of HOG's especially a lot of them in 1 game. Can someone tell me are there a lot in this game ? Also if you can recommend games with more puzzles and less HOG that would be lovely.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Feb 8, 13 5:10 PM
Another CE worth having. Easy puzzles, game play. Interactive map with indicative buttons, green for "all done" and (was it blue?) for some outstanding tasks

Colorful graphics, good storyline. Some "scary" creatures, dark story.

20% was for one day only and its over but you can still buy and accumulate the stamps for other games

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Feb 8, 13 6:29 PM
I might buy it as a SE but I've already played 15 minutes and am super annoyed with so MANY cutscenes.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Feb 9, 13 2:41 AM
I enjoyed the game in a kind of 'relaxed, can't be bothered thinking too much' mood. It is everything you expect from Elephant Studios - an animal companion to help you out, collectibles that morph (though only 10 in this one), great teleport map (although it wasn't always accurate in this game), nice graphics and a good, long bonus play (which I always enjoy from these developers).

I counted 12 H0S and 11 Puzzles in the main game and 3 H0S and 4 Puzzles in the bonus, but I may be out by one or two because I had to replay (see below).

I would have given this game 4 1/2 stars on the front review page if it wasn't for the boat scene bug. I won't give a spoiler here, but it is not an insurmountable problem and can be avoided if played in one particular way. The instructions are contained in posts in other threads on this forum. I also encountered another glitch with the dynamite which stopped the Hint button from moving on on my first play through (no great deal breaker for me, though).

All in all, another enjoyable game from this developer if you can look past some glitches not normally associated with this studio.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Feb 9, 13 10:09 PM
RasmusB. I'm with you going bankrupt with some recent games. Dogs sitting may not pay for all I've bought, but then I need something to do while sitting and dogs are sleeping most of the day while their owners are gone. I think I have to have this game after 10 min. of trying it! Oh well, life is shorter at 78

sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by sollys on Feb 10, 13 5:43 AM
The game downloaded quickly and ran smoothly. Really good game. Waiting on SE to buy.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 10, 13 7:33 AM
nice game but i will wait for the se or maybe a sale

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Feb 10, 13 12:22 PM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS GAME!! Widescreen, NO SPARKLES (in advanced mode), and a highly functional jump map!!! This was a long play game that I WILL play again in the future. I like HOS, and did not find them overly easy or hard, and didn't at all mind that there were a lot of them.

For me, this is just about as perfect as it gets with one exception (minor) that I will post in the technical issues thread.

I loved the bonus game, long play, lots to do and lent to the original story line.!! AWESOME job, developers!! Keep them coming!! I highly recommend this game!!

Twikey
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Twikey on Feb 11, 13 10:59 AM
One of the best games I've tried for a while, lots of HOG fast hint recharging, interesting story rather sad but still great graphics, what more can you ask for and the hints are so great with the map that I didn't need to use the SG, could have waited to buy it cheaper but I know what I like straight away and it was a buy for me, enjoy it.

tangawarra
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by tangawarra on Feb 12, 13 8:50 AM
banshee10 wrote:, and yes, I'm also more than tired of looking for screwdrivers, clockhands etc (I'm surprised there was no need to find a crowbar yet, but I definitely would be if this didn't happen later on).
I admit this concern is negligible and doesn't spoil any fun - if there is real fun. But I agree again: I'm in need of more challenge in the games I'm supposed to spend time and money on. Unfortunately, this happens rarely. Maybe I'm too experienced, have too much practice.

I have to agree. I usually love games by Elephant, so I just went ahead and bought it. Boy what a dissapointment. The HOS and the puzzles are quite easy and I HATE having to look for the same kind of tool over and over again.

Why not keep the first knife and screwdriver? Why do have to look for more of the same? Everytime I encountered something screwed to the wall I thought "I had a screwdriver - why the *** do have to look for another one" Is this just so we have to come back to some stuff later instead of taking it right away? I hate this kind of needlessly and artificiallly drawn out playing.

I will probably not even finish playing this one and rather play the Nutcracker again.
I wish I hadn't bought this.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

"Reviews for Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition "

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Feb 14, 13 8:18 AM
wow!! GREAT game! GREAT visuals, crystal clear graphics, awesome animations and sounds. LOVE the music and the main theme song, with that voice! Great voice talents! Fun puzzles/minigames, fun to look for animals, cards and more.

Excellent adventure! Now playing bonus chapter; there is much to do, it seems long!

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Feb 16, 13 7:10 PM
Finished playing the game and I can say that this is one CE that is definitely worth the price!

Beautiful crisp artwork, suitable and non-annoying music. The voice-overs were extremely well-done, especially Nigel's which was very memorable both for his accent and the gruff tone - such a change of pace from the generic voices of other games. The pacing of the game was very good; it wasn't top heavy with either HO's or puzzles, they were well-spread throughout the game so that they didn't happen one on top of the other. The HO's seemed to occur just when I was in the mood to play one, and they were well-drawn, clear, interactive and interesting to look at.

One of the things that I pay attention to in games are the secondary sound effects - the little sounds that occur when you click on an item in a hidden object game, for example. Whoever designed the sound scheme for this game put some thought into the sound effects and did a very good job with them, from the hissing disappearance of items to the clinking sounds when bottles were placed on a surface. These sounds might seem inconsequential, but they add to the completeness of a scene.

I enjoyed the storyline and the bonus game fleshed out the ending and made it more complete (and was of a nice length, too).

The bonus content gave you a lot: bonus game, wallpapers, concept art, downloadable music, an organ grinder music game, access to the cards, a puzzle game involving the bestiary, a reveal of the morphing animals in the game (I managed to find 7 of the 10 while playing the game), etc. There was enough there that I got a sense of value for my money.

Between this game and its earlier Christmas Stories: Nutcracker game, Elephant Games has really raised the HOPA bar regarding what these games can (and should) be like. I would definitely recommend this game.

Go to: