bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Feb 11, 13 5:30 PM
Hi Jonahsmomma and Kegggie,

I'm sorry you're both running into trouble with this game too.

It's definitely best for you to get in touch with our Tech Support Team so they can work with you directly on troubleshooting, or collect some information to help us investigate any bigger issues with this game.

You can contact them by clicking here to submit a support ticket via email. If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

Thank you so much!

bfgMonongahela

bsbagwell
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug technical issues here only

[Post New]by bsbagwell on Feb 19, 13 2:15 PM
I'm having the same error message and have run the diagnostic tool and everything. I am using a Dell Studio 17 and nothing helps. I am wondering how to get my money back for another game. This is frustrating. How do I get a refund or swap for another game. I've been a BF user for years and I've never had to ask for a refund. I've run the diagnostics and sent it in, but nothing helps. I would like a refund or another game of equal value. I used the buy one get one free to get this so who do I contact with regard to a refund or swap? I don't have anymore time to spend trying to fix the problem!

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Feb 20, 13 2:24 AM
Hi bsbagwell,

It is definitely best to get in touch with our Tech Support Team so they can figure out what's going on offer you the best solution, we don't want to leave you with a game that is not working. It would be great if you could take the time to run a Dr. Felix Diagnostic Report and send that over to our Tech Support Team here.

Best of luck.

bfgTokoro

petesmom2
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by petesmom2 on Feb 23, 13 1:59 PM
I reach into the chest in the little boat in the beginning of the game. There is a combination lock and when I unlock it and move the shell beneath it, it dumps me out of the game and back to my desktop.

Now, I am only "trying" the game, and I don't want to get too far into it if it has a lot of potential errors. I am finding that I am having many more technical issues with your games lately, and as a member for several years, this is disturbing. My computer is the same, but I have had to be given 3 free games within the past few months because I can't play them all the way through because of errors. Used to be that a tech would work with you to help you get through the bugs, but now it seems that they try one thing and give up, sending a free replacement game code. I'd much rather play the game all the way through.

So my question is, if I get through this problem at the beginning, are there many glitches in this game that can potentially get me once I get through the trial period and buy it? If I try to re-load the game, will I still have the same amount of time left on the trial? I'd rather see if I can get through the hour without any more errors before I purchase it.

Thanks so much for your help!
Nancy

petesmom2
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by petesmom2 on Feb 26, 13 8:35 AM
bsbagwell wrote:I'm having the same error message and have run the diagnostic tool and everything. I am using a Dell Studio 17 and nothing helps. I am wondering how to get my money back for another game. This is frustrating. How do I get a refund or swap for another game. I've been a BF user for years and I've never had to ask for a refund. I've run the diagnostics and sent it in, but nothing helps. I would like a refund or another game of equal value. I used the buy one get one free to get this so who do I contact with regard to a refund or swap? I don't have anymore time to spend trying to fix the problem!

Hi bsbagwell,

I totally agree, I, too have been a member for years and am getting very frustrated about game errors that keep you from being able to play them all the way to the end

To get your free game code, go to the green envelope to the right of the screen and click on we're here to help. The tech support person may be able to help you, but lately they seem to try only one thing and then give up and give you a free game If you're anything like me, you'd rather be able to finish the game, but at least you get a credit if you can't.

Good Luck, hope they can help!
petesmom2

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 27, 13 2:35 AM
Hi petesmom2,

Just to let you know, if you uninstall a trial game without using up the 60 minutes available and then you reinstall the game, that remaining trial time will be made available to you once more.

If you have concerns about how the game will play for you after purchasing, I would suggest running a Dr. Felix Diagnostic Report and then sending that over to our Tech Support Team.

As some newer games are quite sensitive, needing the most update to date drivers to perform correctly, having the team look at your set up with you will help identify any issues the game may have before you commit to a purchase.

Finally, I will be sure to pass your feedback along because we don't want to troubleshooting with folks for too long and this is why the replacement option is there, however, if we can fix something for you, we definitely want to strive for that option.

Hope this helps a bit,

bfgBaikal

Westel
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Westel on Mar 3, 13 6:50 PM
Just FYI, I originally purchased the CE version, but had so many problems, despite the fact that Tech Support said my computer was completely up to date and that I had followed all their suggestions, BFG happily refunded me for the game. However, I liked it so much (I have several other games like this one), I decided to get the regular version. I played almost all the way through until I tried to cut the bushes just outside the cave - bingo! error message and game shut down. I restarted it and it took me right back to where I was. Played a few minutes, then noticed my cursor was jerking over the screen and all the graphics started slowing down. I immediately exited the game, then restarted it. Ran perfectly right through the end.

My son is a programmer, and I can only imagine the headaches these glitches are causing the tech guys. But I have to say I have never received anything but the quickest response and kindest, most professional assistance. They're only human, folks, and they want these games fixed just as much as we do. But in the meantime, if you just can't hack the frustration, BFG has never failed to do the right thing, at least in my case. I'm sticking with them!

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 5, 13 4:11 AM
Hi Westel,

I am really pleased that you managed to get thorough this game eventually - thanks for sticking with it and I hope it was worth it!

I know it must have been frustrating to deal with this issues and I am just glad our Support Team were able to help.

If you ever need us just drop us a line and we will be happy to assist you.

Swim strong!

bfgBaikal

Westel
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Westel on Mar 5, 13 7:24 AM
It was worth it!! Customer service is everything!

[Post New]by rutnut on Mar 22, 13 10:54 AM
I am having trouble with The Gold Bug standard edition. I get to "Give the dirty glove to Arthur", but the glove is not overlaid with the paw print and Arthur just barks without giving me the oilcan.

Tom Laidlaw

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 2, 13 7:23 AM
I wish the game would let you skip the entire intro. It would not be so bad if I could play the game through but, like many other people here, I have to keep restarting (seven times so far this session and only about 2/3 through the game as I recall) and I'm very bored with having to sit through that intro until the tree shows up, along with the SKIP command. Sarcasm? Moi?

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 8, 13 10:00 PM
i too am getting the "access error violation " why is there not been a fix for this game??????

[Post New]by redpanda9 on Apr 23, 13 7:45 AM
Testing out this game - 3 crashes in 10 minutes. My system is totally up to date (I've checked). I have had no problems whatsoever playing lots of other ERS and other developers games and I've read all the comments above and certainly won't be buying this game.

7SlotFever
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by 7SlotFever on May 3, 13 6:21 AM
I too am getting access error violations. At least five so far and I have only entered the town.
I purchased the standard version. Win 7
So far, the game has been very enjoyable as far as the story and interaction goes. I read the story sometime back and am excited to play the game.

HOWEVER it appears as though NUMEROUS complaints about these issues have been posted in both the CE and SE sections of the forums and nothing has been done about it yet.

Like others, I too am frustrated with not being able to complete a game because of a technical glitch. This is (to the best of my memory) the THIRD game I have had problems with that prevent completion of the game. I don't WANT to have to call tech support, I WANT y'all to pay attention to what folks are saying and get it taken care of rather than waste my time on the phone and just cause me further frustration by making me jump through hoops to prove it's not my system that's at fault.

When this many people have problems, y'all at BF need to light a fire under the developers tail feathers, yank the slack out of their chain and make them get things straightened out post haste.

Edited on 05/03/2013 at 6:22:25 AM PST

7SlotFever
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by 7SlotFever on May 3, 13 2:12 PM
Update:

I checked my video drivers (AMD Radeon HD 6700M), they are current.
I tried running the program in Administrator mode and after walking away for an hour or so and leaving the game idle for an hour or so I came back to the error screen again.

I ran the Felix fix-a-flat utility and will send in my results.

[Post New]by phoenix_rising on May 11, 13 2:15 PM
keeps crashing with an error message also the dialogue keeps stuttering and it is hard to get out of this. very disappointing.

[Post New]by phoenix_rising on May 12, 13 11:31 AM
I did manage to finish the game with many error messages what stopped the game and had to start again. the dialogue stutters only with the "detective" and the others were ok. other wise a cool game. Hope this will be fix I know it is not my pc not going to make an issue about it, because I managed to finish it.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jun 3, 13 6:57 PM
I have a completely different problem. I am guessing I am about halfway done with the game. The first part played flawlessly. Now, whenever the characters speak, it gets stuck. It sounds like I am playing an old record with a scratch in it. Remember those? Before the days of CDs and cassettes? I can play all other ERS games and all other Dark Tales Poe games.

[Post New]by AmeeraRose on Oct 21, 13 12:38 PM
I am playing this game on my Apple iPod, and am stuck at trying to open the Elephant cabinet. I have the instructions, and have all elephants in position, but the turtle's mouth will not open. Help please !

teapotty2
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by teapotty2 on Nov 18, 13 8:35 PM
I have read through all the other tech probles and towards the end found the same complaint as mine

It is if all the dialogue has a stutter
Given that I have just started the game it is considerably frustrating

In addition I have purchased this as I have played the first 3 in the series and planned to play both this and the final 5th in the series

This adds to the frustration I have invested time in the prior series and Finances!

The following is a cut and paste from a prior post-er

"I have a completely different problem. I am guessing I am about halfway done with the game. The first part played flawlessly. Now, whenever the characters speak, it gets stuck. It sounds like I am playing an old record with a scratch in it. Remember those? Before the days of CDs and cassettes? I can play all other ERS games and all other Dark Tales Poe games. "

Go to: