bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side Of Notre Dame Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 20, 13 12:37 PM
As with the first 9 game, I found this one to also be a bit of a "stumbler". Mini games were at times easy and a lot of the time tedious with confusing instructions and I couldn't seem to get them to work so just skipped almost all of them. Not being a mini game fan, I found this very frustrating and a total waste of time...thank goodness the skip was a quick one. There were a number of mini games too. HOS were fine, crisp and clear and fairly easy with some interaction.

Graphics were good although the actual characters were a bit "stiff", slow and actually looked a bit stoned. Had to turn the music off and the voice overs could be annoying at times....a little too much over-acting and phony acents.

There was a fairly good jump map although at times it did not really show you where to go unless you had stumbled upon the scene by accident...then it would show on the map. Hint recharged quickly. Both were certainly needed to play this game.

I really got tired of little comments like "You think an enlightened one would know better" and "no calvary to call in this time"....those got really old and irritating.

Game was fairly long, but I certainly don't think this was CE quality by any means and would have been really upset if I had paid full price for it. The bonus game was a prequel (spelling?) to the main game so it was not an additive...in fact it was so short I don't think it even took me 1 hour...just mini game after mini game...very frustrating. Not the leasts bit into "achievements" they never made any sense to me...like "who cares".

All in all, I can only give this game a 2.5 out of 5...not a smooth, flowing game and I did feel a degree of frustration at times.

Edited on 02/20/2013 at 12:41:12 PM PST

boogweez
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,280 Posts

[Post New]by boogweez on Feb 23, 13 2:53 PM
Just finished. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy for the bonus play!!! Verrry short.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Feb 25, 13 1:41 PM
"Good music (was quite relieved it wasn't accordion !!!)"

The above quote is taken from Poutoule's review. I just listened to the vieo sample and I did detect accordion music, which I very much enjoyed. I guess that's because my mom used to play the accordion. I played the demo and, as others have said, the graphics are very good. The music, over all is very nice, too. The game-play is good but I haven't made up my mind about the game. I think I'll wait to check out the SE before I decide. I rarely do reviews anymore because so many of you write far better ones than I could ever do.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 28, 13 6:53 PM
I am in the process of trying to finish this game, and I say trying, only because, unlike every other reviewer, I have no idea what the heck I am doing!! This game makes no sense to me whatsoever. I have no idea what to do with the inventory items I'm getting, am absolutely clueless as to where to use them, and in general, totally lost!! I have been playing this type of game for YEARS, and I don't know what the problem is, but I really can't make heads or tails of this game. The graphics are beautiful, the music is very nice, and the story is O.K., but gameplay for me just isn't working! I will continue this game at another time and for now, find something else. Everyone else, continue to enjoy!!

feenix

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 3, 13 5:28 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It has achievements YAY! And I think one of the reasons you can't change mode of play while in process is because it would affect two of the achievements, since there are 3 modes of play. At any rate, I was not blown away by the characters, in a graphic sort of way. Locations and scenes were beautiful, but the people were cartoonish at best. There is a lot of going from place to place, but thankfully the map lets you get there very easily, so that was a plus. The story line kept me going, the achievements were a wonderful plus, and the ending was great! Even though there was a SG, I found I didn't have to use it, since the map basically told you where your objectives were, what was locked, and sort of guided you through it pretty easily. It's a great game!!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Aug 9, 13 7:29 PM
I bought this game in February and just played it :
I enjoyed it very much even though I ran out of patience with 2 of the mini-games and turned to the SG for help [ which it didn't ] But I finally figured them out and felt much better
I did not stop to consider that they were randomly generated and would have appreciated if that was mentioned where the SG shows how to solve them. After reading some of the posts I feel better knowing that I was not the only one having problem:/ I think all the mini's were good but like I said it would have helped to know about the randomness :/ & the instructions could have been a little clearer, IMHO.
The story, graphics, music & the gameplay were great and am happy to have completed it without hating it
It seems all too often we expect the games to almost do themselves and then complain about the 'handholding' and then get one that gives us a little grey-matter exercise and still be happy with it is nice
BTW, I really liked the transport map and used it throughout the whole game [I have a very poor sense of direction]
I give this wonderful game out of a possible 5

Go to: