Edited on 02/18/2013 at 3:21:22 AM PST

findlaybears
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shadows: Price for Our Sins

[Post New]by findlaybears on Feb 17, 13 7:50 AM
Details after playing the completed game in Expert mode:

Please Note: For those who are sensitive to occult subject matter, the storyline, graphics, and some game play incorporate occult themes (spells, and rituals, graphics w/pentagrams, etc.). Music is also on the eerie side.

-2 Difficulty Modes: Casual and Expert.

-Options Menu includes volume control for Music/Sound Effects/Ambient Audio. There are choices for Screen Resolution, Fullscreen, Widescreen, and System Cursor.

-Diary can be found on the bottom right portion of the screen above the Hint button.

-There is a map located on the bottom right side above the Menu button. POSSIBLE SPOILER:You can use the map to transport from location to location and it also notifies you of available activities with a green and black exclamation point.

-Inventory bar does not lock.

-The game did fill my 19“ monitor screen.

-Hint button can be used for both HOS and game play. Hint button takes about 1 minute to reload in Expert mode (30 seconds in Casual).

-Most of the HOS are interactive and in junkpile form. There are about 18 original HOS. POSSIBLE SPOILER: Some had minigames included.
*There is no misclick penalty.

-Puzzles/Minigames can be skipped. It took about 1 minute to skip in Expert mode (30 seconds in Casual). POSSIBLE SPOILER: For help solving the puzzles, a Question Mark is located in the upper right corner.
*There are about 30 puzzles to complete.

-There are cut scenes throughout the game, but these can be skipped.

Genre: Supernational/Paranormal/Occult

Game length: I consider myself a slow to medium paced player, so it took me 6 hours 16 minutes to complete the game.

My opinions about the game:

*I played in Expert mode and there were sparkles for only finding the HOS.
*Graphics were fantastic!
*Music fit with the gameplay. Very creepy!
*Most of the puzzles were somewhat difficult, but there was help.
*Game length is long!

5 out of .

Edited on 02/17/2013 at 7:55:13 AM PST

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Feb 17, 13 4:24 PM
I found the game "clunky" and frustrating in the first few minutes. When she finally got the things to make the jack o lantern and found her friends at the party, it was pitch black with just voices a few minutes, not sure if it was a glitch or that was how it was supposed to be but that irritated me as well.
A no buy for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 17, 13 7:48 PM
Just got to this game today, busy weekend. After reading some of the reviews, I almost didn't even try the demo. However, I am one of those people who, if someone says it's good or not good, I try it and see for myself. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I really enjoyed the game.

Graphics are nothing special and a bit fuzzy, but the game play was good, music not bad, but I always turn it down low. No difficult games and HOGs were not bad either (some items a little hard to see, but on the whole okay). I do agree that I don't care for loud or odd noises when you find an item either, but that's one of the reasons I turn down the sound.

This game is not really challenging, but it is a little different with some different scenes (not the ususal ghosts and such) and it was fun for me. A nice game for a lazy day.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Feb 17, 13 11:56 PM
Did BFG just advertised One for One They did, they did, What are u waiting for, time's a wasting and I still have a game to Play!

Excuse the rip off line from "Kingdom for my princess". This is a WOW game, WOW graphics, easy to play mini puzzles, WOW inventory usage. WOW interactive HOS with mini-mini puzzles within HOS!

WOW for one for one!

WOW! BUY

[Post New]by HaroldPutter on Feb 18, 13 7:46 AM
Great story, beautiful graphics, HOG's and the mini-games are innovative without being brain-numbing, earn achievements ... no glitches. This is a buy for me.
Great game!

abbyD
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by abbyD on Feb 18, 13 2:17 PM
Cursor had that slow-motion clunkiness, even when I switched to normal cursor mode. I don't know what causes it, but it's a real annoyance.

My biggest complaint, though, is about knives. I am so tired of games where everytime you need a knife you need to find a new one. If it was in a couple of different places with some time in between, that would be one thing, but I only played 30 minutes and I already needed a 4th knife. (1 for vines on door, 1 for bat in flower bush, 1 for pumpkin, 1 for chair seat). Give me a break! No buy for me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 19, 13 2:35 PM
Found this to be a long and interesting game with a unique storyline. However, it can be confusing. If it was not for the jump map and a quick loading hint I don't know if I would have made it through...and I was working the casual mode. Game seemed to lag a bit when moving around or collecting things. Even some of the dialog was off.

Mini games were outrageously tedious and I didn't have the patience to play even one. I would start, but the time involved and things to do and confusing instructions were just too much for this player. I'm not a mini game fan anyway. Thank goodness for a fast skip refresh.

HOS were different and interactive and some times quite hard as there were items hidden and not a lot of clues as to where they were, even if you waited for the "sparkle", it wasn't always clear what to do.

Game moves all over the place, hence the need for the jump map. I felt it was a somewhat difficult game even in casual mode, but I did enjoy it. A lot of dialog, story telling and diary sheets. I listened to the story telling, skipped through the dialog quite quickly and never read the diary sheets or the journal. You wont' need a walkthrough if you use the hint and jump map...but it will be a challenge.

Graphics and artwork were very good, however not as crisp as I would have liked.

Hard to decide how to rate this. I will give it a 3- out of 5 only because of the tedious games and some difficulty in smooth movement of the story. Definately worth the money or game credit.

Edited on 02/19/2013 at 2:37:33 PM PST

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Feb 20, 13 4:22 PM
abbyD wrote:
My biggest complaint, though, is about knives. I am so tired of games where everytime you need a knife you need to find a new one. If it was in a couple of different places with some time in between, that would be one thing, but I only played 30 minutes and I already needed a 4th knife. (1 for vines on door, 1 for bat in flower bush, 1 for pumpkin, 1 for chair seat). Give me a break! No buy for me.

Same here! I am a logical person, and like the gameplay to follow logic as well. So why on Earth would I just drop my knife, ax, matches, crowbar, etc after just one use? Especially when I am "in danger"! And a simple burlap bag CAN be opened easily enough with the scythe (clumsy, but still...) or mirror or even my teeth, but no....find a knife or it stays shut! I can suspend my belief when it comes to supernatural stuff, but really hate this simple lack of logic on the part of devs everywhere. Trust me - it won't affect my enjoyment of the game to get to keep useful objects throughout the game, but it DOES frustrate me to have to replace items that can and should be used over and over again.

Any normal person who felt alone, frightened and in danger would be arming themselves with anything they came across - bat, knife, crowbar, brick - and not likely to discard such items with the first pinata or rosebush that presented itself. Yet, we're expected to fill our packs with rusty gears and odds and ends that "may be useful" at some later point while we drop the truly useful items along the wayside. There is no sense to this type of gameplay!

Sorry - one of my pet peeves......

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Feb 21, 13 3:52 PM
I found this game dull. As a rule, I am willing to give a new-to-me developer a lot of leeway. It was difficult to find images; the hint signals were indistinct; the movements of characters were dragging. If it is released again, I'll check it out. But for now, it's a no-go. Nehmah

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 3:52:55 PM PST

[Post New]by johnnybirdmc on Feb 21, 13 8:49 PM
bezzer how do u work the horse fan.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Feb 24, 13 9:06 AM
I wasn't sure about the game, but the longer I played, it got more interesting. Now I am stuck, my hint button quit working and the map does not work as well. I am at a stalemate, cannot proceed. I tried everything except install/reinstall, which I saw where some had done that and it didn't work. It needs an update. Hope the powers to be will fix it.

I made it as far as trying to find the telescope, that is when everything quit working.

RIHope08
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by RIHope08 on Feb 26, 13 6:27 AM
Micha1234 wrote:
ritchieprod wrote:I wanted to like this one, but there were too many irritating things about it. The story is good, but everything is very slow. The movies move slowly, the game responds slowly and makes the mini games tedious instead of fun. I liked the very nonchalant ghosts you encounter. No fright, just spirits in distress. The HO scenes had a puzzling interaction mode. Difficult to see a difference where something needs to be moved to see the object behind. It felt random and frustrating. This is a no buy for me. I didn't even finish the demo.

Same here. Just couldn't get into this game. Found the HOG scene interaction very annoying.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Mar 6, 13 8:55 AM
we find this game to be OK, if you just started playing HOS games, this one is for you. we give it a 2 out of 5 stars.---------doug & lisa

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Mar 6, 13 8:39 PM
I really enjoyed this game, it was differant.

TeresaRollen
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,896 Posts

[Post New]by TeresaRollen on Mar 12, 13 6:12 PM
I was liking this game until I found that it shown me where the objects were in the hidden object scene without me asking for a hint. Don't really want to play the Difficult mode but does it have the sparkles within the hidden object scene showing you where everything is? What is the point in playing the game????

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Mar 17, 13 3:00 PM
I must have missed this game. When did it come out. A buy for me.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Apr 2, 13 1:38 PM
Well, despite my agreement with a lot of the comments, including why oh why do we need to get the same objects in different scenes, weird language usage, etc., and one of my own as a U.S. person -- pumpkins grow orange, you don't paint them orange (head shake), I am using the sale today to get this game. If I have other comments, I'll make them later.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 25, 13 8:36 PM
not the best, but, not the worst game i have ever played

Go to: