Re:Reviews for Sweet Kingdom: Enchanted Princess

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Feb 20, 13 9:38 PM
Unless the makers of the delightful Royal Envoy series has changed their names this is most definitely not the same devs! And while it might have it's own merits as a game, I'm frankly shocked that BFG would distribute such a blantant rip-off! Unfortunately, it's happened all too often and BFG continues to be party to it. Some hard-working devs come up with something unique in the game world and before long it's been completely ripped off. I guess this happens with everything though and it's a sad reality in the world of products. This left an especially bad-taste in my mouth however as it's graphics were virtually identical to the Royal Envoy series (thought not quite as polished looking once you get playing) so it felt like it was deliberately meant to fool us gamers. I did demo it since I had no way to know it wasn't the devs I was expecting until I was already trying it. I didn't last long. It's confusing and not at all charming. Frankly, that's the devs own fault. They've tried to copy Royal Envoy so much that you expect it to be as good and fluid in it's gameplay and concept but it's just not. Won't waste my money on a dev that just rips off another better one.

Pixieydust
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Pixieydust on Feb 21, 13 11:37 PM
Is this really stolen from the makers of Royal Envoy? why haven't they had this be taken down? I like the game but if it is stolen...it is a lot alike the other game.

I am unsure about this

Pixiey

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Feb 22, 13 12:56 AM
i think most genres copy styles

HOGs/HOPA's are all exactly the same game play nowadays, Match 3, TM's- they all copy a successful formula and for us customers that is a good thing if we enjoy a certain game style.

This is the first game I have absolutely loved to pieces since Adelentado, Royal Envoy and MKFTP before that. Oh and Campgrounds too-

I hope for more games like this from all developers
I would pay CE prices for such.

HobGoblin2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by HobGoblin2 on Feb 22, 13 4:33 AM
If this game is a copy of Royal Envoy, then Royal Envoy is a copy of the Wonderburg game and it's a copy of the Build-a-lot game and Build-a-lot game it's a copy of Civilization game!
And I can tell you, inside this game is more similar to Farm Frenzy than RE!

Pixieydust
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Pixieydust on Feb 22, 13 10:09 PM
The sounds, buildings and other things are exactly the same....even where the chat bubbles are...it just seems like a knock off and I am just wondering if the developers are bothered by it.

I do not expect them to reinvent this type of game but it just seems strange that the same sound effects and such would be there.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Feb 22, 13 11:02 PM
pixelydust-

I noticed some of the sounds are the same- perhaps there is a library of sounds developers can buy and use, like hog graphics, clown fish, butterflies etc in hog scenes- that same belt you see in them all
you could write to the developers of the original game to ask them if their original work has been stolen- otherwise we would just be speculating

It is possible the team that made this worked on RE too.

Edited on 02/23/2013 at 6:30:59 AM PST

kszanz
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by kszanz on Feb 27, 13 12:25 PM
I absolutely loved Royal Envoy and played it more than once. When I played the trial on this game, I expected it to be a continuation of Royal Envoy or on that order. However, it is way, way, way more difficult. Royal Envoy was plenty challenging; but with perserverance, you could achieve gold on all levels. I honestly don't believe the average person could possibly do that on this game. I'm lucky I can meet the goals before dark on many of the levels. It is just way too hard. That is such a shame because I really, really, really love these types of games. Why do you have to keep trying to make them so difficult? It ruins the fun.

[Post New]by Stitchingmom on Mar 3, 13 11:45 PM
I really, really wanted to like this game. Sadly, I don't.

The graphics are incredibly tiny, and really hard on the eyes. The levels are unbelievably difficult, and I am a veteran of this kind of game. The amount of clicking is insane. Also, it is impossible to tell from the map how you did on each level. On many levels it still said "Best time 0:00" after I finished them, so I went back to re-do them thinking I'd done something wrong.

I'll stick with Royal Envoy, MKFTP, and the New Yankee games.

xdolphine
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

A lot like Royal Envoy

[Post New]by xdolphine on Mar 5, 13 8:00 PM
This game looks a lot like Royal Envoy, but not a bad thing, I mean, how many games we will find truly original these days?

I like this sweet game, easy to play.

The only minus only its super-long tutorial, I know I can switch it off, but I need tutorial, but please make it shorter to read.

4 's from me by the way

lucyb24
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by lucyb24 on Mar 11, 13 11:35 AM
Am I playing a different game from everyone else? This game is HARD HARD HARD. I've played similar games and never had this much trouble. Either I'm doing something really wrong or you guys are super genius players. I cannot even come remotely close to finishing before the timer. Yes, you can still continue afterwards but the goals are to me, are ridiculous. I'm really close to deleting this thing. I'm at level 14 and I just want to groan knowing the timer ran out and I have 250 in money and need to get to 10000 and still haven't built all my buildings. Just too much work and no fun I'm finding.

[Post New]by PhaedrasPhantasy on Mar 14, 13 2:13 AM
I'm with lucyb24 100%. I adore TM's, but this one is way over the top with the difficulty in later levels. I've played it all the way through about 6 or 7 times now, and can get all the way to level 30 now gold, (only with the help of the WRITTEN part of the video walk thru someone here posted in youtube. Thank you!) You make it look so easy, but no matter how many times I try, sometimes to the point of screaming, I just miss some of them no matter how hard I try. Takes the fun out of it for me, let me tell you, when I have to get up and walk away from something that's supposed to be enjoyable. Royal Envoy it is NOT! Not even close. This game should have been named "Let's Saw some Wood" Good Grief. That right there absolutely ruined the entire game for me. 10,000 wood for one troll, then you had to have another 15k for 5 towers, cutting it at 800 pieces at a time (better than the 400 at a time in the early levels, but still you cannot get anything else done for that) And then the dang 200 pies you had to buy at 50,000 dollars per 50 pies after you'd used the only viable product to trade for ....hmmm, what was it now, oh yes, WOOD!!!! About drove me insane. I really don't think 9 workers had to saw 25,000 logs in 15 minutes back in the kingdom my ancestors hailed from, lol. We'd never have made it this far if we had. Otherwise the game is VERY cute, and with a little longer to get through the levels, or less dang wood to saw, or less towers to build, or SOMETHING, I do believe it would be a surefire winner all around, even for a non logger like myself. I don't mind a challenge, wouldn't like any game without one, but his one just pushes things a bit far.....and MY 5 to 27 year old relatives would be in tears around level 16, or earlier, trust me. And could you make a GIANT RED X where those towers go for us on the backside of 40, please? I think I could make gold time if I could find where the heck they go what with everything else that's flopping up in the way so you can't see anything. Thanks!!!!

Edited on 03/14/2013 at 2:17:42 AM PST

[Post New]by sateku_1975 on Mar 14, 13 12:51 PM
So far (just finished level 23) I like this game a lot. Sure, it is difficult to achieve gold and I have replayed some levels like crazy. I am almost amazed when I sometimes (rarely) do manage to get gold straight away. I love these types of games when they are well made and I want a good challenge (which is not the same as superduper-skilled fast clicking). Some of these games are a bit too easy, except for the final rounds. This is NOT one of those, believe me!

With that said there are some things that annoy me. There is a lot of clicking going on and sometimes I miss to collect stuff due to the screen being so full of info. I also very often forget to use the power-ups and they are really needed.

Also I dislike levels where I should collect enormous amounts of wood, and I have lots of money, but still need to go 400 pieces of wood a time (I understand this will increase later on, but so will the goals I assume...)

Nevertheless I love the donkeys and the need for a good strategy to solve the levels. I don't mind the replays so far, it is a addictive game and I can't stop playing once I start. I will update this review once I've finished the game.

Edited on 03/14/2013 at 12:52:22 PM PST

[Post New]by kraftypixie on Mar 16, 13 4:15 AM
I bought this game this past week. I, too, had thought it looked like Royal Envoy! I have searched on Big Fish for any game collections by this dev, but had no luck. Google did not turn up anything either...odd. On to the review!

I really really like the donkeys! There is just something fun about the animals building stuff while the humans run around collecting stuff. I play with the sound off, but that is more to concentrate than the music. I can't handle voices or background noise, but the music I did hear was actually pleasant. I love TM/Building games & this one is ranking right up near, if not at, my #1 spot. I like that it's easy to figure out what you're supposed to do & that you must try different strategies. It's harder than most TM games that I've played & I have used info on the forum here & video walk through on youtube. The colors were nicer in this, not so muddy as some. It did get rather hectic when you have to keep track of so many things at once. I have spent more than 2 days playing a level & I am just starting into the 30's. That's okay. I'd rather have a game last me weeks than mere hours.

The downsides are that you do have to keep track of several things at once. It's hard to keep concentration with so much going on on the screen. Beginners will likely give up if they don't understand what is expected. The games difficulty seems to vary from one level to another. I can spend days on one level & then the next level is completed in 5 minutes. I don't like the all or nothing of rewards. I prefer the 3 star system, other wise to me, it's you win or you lose. Who likes to lose? Not me!

That all being said, I would recommend this game for experienced TM game lovers. I am glad I bought it & hope to see more like it.

notdeadyet
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by notdeadyet on Mar 18, 13 12:07 PM
This is a great game but the strategy gets more complicated as you proceed.Level 37 is rather difficult but some one helpfully mailed instructions to shorten the process. The levels take longer to do as you go along so plan a time when you won't be interrupted. The game doesn't ave your progress in a level.I really like this game thoughI have arthritis in my hands but am still able to complete the levels.even if I don't get the gold.

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Mar 26, 13 11:06 AM
Just another clickfest.

psyche_
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by psyche_ on Apr 7, 13 1:43 PM
I've tried one or two time management games in the past, and never really been interested in them - I play the interactive/adventure/HOGs. However, I was bored and looking for a new game and saw this in the top 10 download games, which you don't often see with the time management games, so thought I'd give it a whirl. Was hooked in minutes and then couldn't stop! Considering I don't play these games, the tutorial was good enough to initiate me and I thought the graphics were sweet with no annoying call-outs/voiceovers.

I've since bought the two royal envoys, and whilst they are very similar, I found this one more mentally stimulating and enjoyed the fact there were so many different types of buildings and lots more goals to achieve within levels. I managed to get gold on all levels on my second run through (although I confess I restarted quite a few levels that I refused to be beat on!) - I found the key was often to start a level and figure out what the hidden / blocked goblins etc, held / wanted, then restart and really think about your strategy before your first click.

The only thing I wasn't keen on was the waiting, for example, when the donkeys were building the balloon - geez they're slow! and there's one level I really don't like, which is where you have to basically sit and wait out the whole level, but at the same time is nothing but a load of fast clicking! I liked the fact that I had to work things out to complete the levels - it wasn't just a case of having to repair more bridges/fight off more evil than the previous level. Here you had to work out how much money you needed to save to build a chain of buildings before you could demolish your current buildings - lots of thinking involved! Am definitely on the look out for something similar now

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Apr 16, 13 10:21 PM
So what if it has similarities to Royal Envoy and Farm Frenzy. I believe it to be unique in combining these two styles of play and if it is too close to either then a bit of competition is a good thing. Might get those Royal Envoy people pumping out some more games. (and it has been some time since a new Farm Frenzy appeared.)
I note at the end there is a suggestion of the wicked sister returning so possibly a Sweet Kingdom II which I will definitely buy.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Apr 18, 13 5:00 AM
Yeah, it's pretty much like Royal Envoy with about the same amount of clicking. Instead of rent, you're collecting resources. You have to really think about which buildings you need to produce the products that are required to finish the level. I had only played a couple of brief sessions after buying it as I got involved with other games, but I just finished level 20 with all suns (gold stars). I've not looked at a single hint or tip or walkthrough, so it's not impossible (at least up to where I've gotten). As a matter of fact, I've plowed through about 12 levels in 2 hours. You just have to use the noodle a bit, because frantic clicking and faulty logic won't cut it. In that way, it's very much like RE. Sometimes thinking outside the box or laterally may be required to get to your goal.
It is a bit annoying to cut that oh-so-expensive wood or trade for money at the market only to find you got distracted making pies and now it's disappearing because you forgot to click it. That's the only part of this game that really bothers me. At least you don't have to pick up the food you produce off the ground--it's automatically collected by your workers (kind of like the tax collectors in RE). And it'll wait till they get there.
One word of warning to those who might care about such things: one of the buildings is a distillery where you make cocktails from your fruit juice. Didn't bother me, but it kind of takes it out of the realm of stuff some people would want their kids to play.

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Apr 20, 13 2:33 PM
This was a fun game, but I tend to get bored with these kinds of TM games. First, I only buy TM games in which I can turn off the timer (yea, I know, not exactly the point of TM - but I find building games relaxing). This one is much like Farmer's Market, but after awhile I get a little bored and haven't finished the game as I'm really looking for something different from my TM games, I guess.

I much prefer the Be Rich series and still pop in and out of it very often (all these years later!) to play a couple of levels. I still find myself playing the levels differently which many games don't have the allowance for (to complete the level goals).

Maybe someday I'll go back and finish it but I'm a little worried that I won't remember what all I need to accomplish a cake, pie, etc.

Oh well, it provided a few day's enjoyment with a PC, so no great loss.

metmichallica
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,184 Posts

[Post New]by metmichallica on Jun 27, 13 9:44 PM
I liked this game and although it does remind you of the Royal Envoy series it is not. I like that you don't have to finish the game before the time ran out. I was slow on the levels so I would have not bet the game if you had to. I wouldn't have. Well worth the money.

Go to: