gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 21, 13 3:17 PM
REVIEW ON FINISHED GAMEPLAY

Very pleasant elephant game – great sharp graphics (and recently they haven’t always been like that especially in HOS) nice variety of hardness in puzzles, achievements and collectables. The hallowed legend is about Hel – a mythological being and as it’s Nordic – expect lots of ice and snow. As I don’t know any of this fable I have no idea how many fables are mixed up or how ‘true’ it is. The plot is told through your helper the raven (whose voice is excellent) as well as some, but not many live actors and some more ‘static’ cutscenes. Taking comments about lip synch not matching, here they don’t speak but go into static non moving lips dialogue boxes.

The story was nice enough but a bit too much of Hel for my liking as I never warm (pardon the pun) to creatures/ice queens/witches like that, it’s not my favourite storyline but I did like the people side of it.

Gameplay is exactly the same as elephant’s usual – black bar tips on hardcore, map tips, change mode during play, never repeating HOS, not that many of HOS and no random click penalty.

I do wish the black bar tips they would disable in hardcore but they rarely if ever do, sometimes it’s more noticeable than others and here it is.

HOS (hidden object scenes)

They have two different types of HOS. One was the typical interactive list type and the other was the same kind as in the MCF latest games – the small fragment of a scene and you have to find the scene and put the fragment back into it. While I don’t mind the latter if there isn’t much of it – it was on the formulaic too much side for me – find all of them in a set which activates the fire book to melt ice throughout the game. There were 12 list HOS and 7 sets of the small picture type. I appreciate it was something a bit different (for them) but coupled with the list type and a lot of find “2” parts of items throughout the game, it felt slightly more HOS heavy in the balance of puzzle/hos ratio and it’s not my favourite kind. I did appreciate they were back to the bright, sharp colourful scenes that sometimes they don’t have.

to be continued

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 3:19:15 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 21, 13 3:18 PM
continued

11 Puzzles
(has skip button)

Sometimes they give us very simple puzzles and while some weren’t hard and very straightforward to do, some of them have a nice facelift to them and a couple I was at for a while. While gameplay wasn’t hard (especially if you use map with those tips) because the puzzles weren’t so simple it didn’t feel as easy which was good. Put that with the harder to see collectables (I think one in each scene) it was a nice laid back game for me.

Reading all this – nice puzzles, great graphics, it all sounds wonderful but if you only buy the occasional HOPA, this isn’t the first one that would come to mind – the must have, it’s more of a nice to have. I don’t know why, I just wasn’t enthralled with it but then again, do you have to be with every game?

There was a scene at the very end and I thought the imagination and thought that went into was so clever – so whimisical that if they brought more of that throughout the game, it would have risen this game up to the wow type level of gameplay.

CE extras

Achievements (these are hidden and the game won’t tell you what they are but I thought I did get them all but now checking I'm not sure I did but ones I did were (no skips, no hints on HOS)
22 Collectables
Music
Screensavers
Concept art
Bonus game
SG

Bonus play

4 puzzles, 4 list HOS (no small picture type hos)

It was a bonus (not needed to finish the main story and was a 100% complete ‘bonus’ story) plot, everything tied up in SE main game. *You are helping Hel to get back to her own realm - typical nice enough plot* Most of it was in old area – slightly changed – more ice etc. About 4 locations were new. It was along the samelines of the main game, quality was there. It took me 1hr 20 mins but 15 mins (? ) must have been in one puzzle. While it was pleasant enough bonus plots and gameplay on it’s own rarely excite me, it’s the ‘trappings’ of the CEs that make me want it.

I will say that the previous Hallowed legend extras (achievements) were in the SE, so I’d say wait and see or get it in a sale.

Very pleasant game, just not jumping up and down about it.
Time 4hrs 20 mins (at least 30 mins were on 2 puzzles) playing hardcore
Bonus another 1hr 20 mins (15 on one puzzle?)

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 3:47:21 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Feb 21, 13 3:24 PM
This is an Elephant Game and as usual has good graphics and game play. Unfortunately it seems as though they just mailed this one in. It doesn't seem to have the innovations that distinguished this developer. Fortunately it will make a great SE game. Since I am on a strict budget I will wait to purchase it.
I would suggest you try it for your self. I like it.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Feb 21, 13 3:27 PM
just finished the demo and will not buy the CE and will have to decide again when the SE comes out.

reasons:
i like to be challenged. i play these games to *think*. to stretch the aging grey matter. so, i play on hardcore with elephant games, but it doesn't help much. their description of hardcore is for those who "are eager to play with no help at all" yet right in the first scene, when i click on the pond, it says "this water is not safe to drink, but heating some up might be useful". come ON... how is that not a hint? beyond a hint... it's TELLING me what to do! and i already have a "tip" in the fire zoom-in that it can be used for heating something. good grief! this is HARDCORE?

and then there's the little things... like the "hidden compartment" on the first aid bag... where you can SEE a zipper (broken, of course... )

elephant, you're putting out games WAY TOO OFTEN. why don't you put out fewer and make them more ORIGINAL instead of just a rehash of every game that came before it? and use the *hardcore* mode to challenge us?

so, on the plus side, i might buy this as an SE because i *do* enjoy your graphics and i like that you've added live actors to some of the cutscenes. feels more like a real story. i also like that your games are usually of a good length without a bonus chapter. i think i have every one of your older games... and i looked forward to the new ones that came out! "oh BOY, another elephant game is here!"

but lately, not so much. lately it's more like "wow, another one ALREADY?"

so, until you stop just churning out games like this one and last 4 or 5 (or more... lost count...!) i won't be buying anymore of your CEs and possibly not your SEs, either.

a little thought and originality, please! i mean really, HOW many times have we seen the broken zipper?
and, either fixed it with a real zipper pull or a safety pin... or a paperclip?

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 5:06:09 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 21, 13 3:42 PM
This review is based on the full trial period.

I own both earlier Hallowed Legends games, played them entirely, and I liked them both.

However this one was disappointing.

Most every new game these days has good drawings and decent hidden object scenes and mini-games. This game has that as well. For me, what sets a game apart is the story. Ship of Bones is just lacking the elements that make a good story. The title Ship of Bones conjures up images of pirates and sailing ships, or at least a haunted ship. But the setting for this is in a town. So that was disappointing.

Nothing really wrong with the gameplay, it just did not catch my interest. There is a task where you have to match the pictures on "runes" to tiny, tiny areas of different locations. I did not care for that either.

Perhaps it gets better later in the game, but I do not see enough so far to make a purchase.

Two and 1/2 stars out of five.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 21, 13 4:44 PM
Wow, Elephant did it again. I have the other two Hallowed Legends games and really liked them...this one does not disappoint. As usual, exceptional graphics and game play. Nice SG, which lists all of the chapters in the story (a huge plus). Very nice and helpful hint system (fairly fast recovery).

Not a lot of voice overs, but what they have is very nice. Clean, clear and easy to find HOG items. Games are not difficult, but take a little thought on some. The bird is sort of fun to use (no real explanation of who he is yet). I like the need to find extra items in a game. It makes it more interesting and not just a walk through of HOGs and games to play.

The story line is not new, but well done. I like the combination of real people and animated people and things. Nice break for a change. Didn't care for the "bad woman," too freaky and weird looking. Actually a bit over-done.

Anyway, I must have this added to my trilogy, so a definite buy for me. Just no sure yet if I want to buy the CE or wait for the SE. Haven't been too impressed with the "bonus" chapters lately. Besides, I have way too many game credits that need to be used very soon. How about some really nice SE games for awhile. I'm sure the top devs can come up with a few.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Feb 21, 13 5:21 PM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Sorry, but it's not the little Dumbo sort of game I adored.

1) Thanks to Valdy, I know now that there are goblins - how did you find that? I clicked twice on unknown objects, which disappeared immediately, and I was announced that I found a morphing object. I left it, because I really didn't know what to search.

2) The screens were zoomed back (may be to make more space), but my eyes hurt to click on such mini-tiny objects around, especially in the HOS, in which I found (with hint of course) several objects blended in the background (black on black and dark).

3) The map lack the ! sign (actions to complete), although in the map appears one in the instruction). That forces me to lurk around, unless I use the hint (thanks god it's still excellent help).

4) May be the graphics are good, but it lacks the "wow" factor, which appeared in their recent games.

Positive change: in the first HOS I saw the title "skip" - but didn't find it on the forecoming HOS's. Pity, because it will be accepted gladly by the Adventurers, and the "too many HOS" complaint will stop. (yay!).

No buy for me.
#3 Yes that annoyed me too. Explained how it worked...........but alas it did not work!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 21, 13 11:46 PM
dancemom1 wrote:Wow, Elephant did it again. I have the other two Hallowed Legends games and really liked them...this one does not disappoint. As usual, exceptional graphics and game play. Nice SG, which lists all of the chapters in the story (a huge plus). Very nice and helpful hint system (fairly fast recovery).

Not a lot of voice overs, but what they have is very nice. Clean, clear and easy to find HOG items. Games are not difficult, but take a little thought on some. The bird is sort of fun to use (no real explanation of who he is yet). I like the need to find extra items in a game. It makes it more interesting and not just a walk through of HOGs and games to play.

The story line is not new, but well done. I like the combination of real people and animated people and things. Nice break for a change.

I hope you don't mind my quoting a selection of your review dancemom1, but it sums up the basic information about this delightful game as far as I am concerned.
I also agree with others that are concerned about the maybe formulaic games from Elephant lately - but I think we have been spoilt by their erstwhile excellence and are expecting more. There are in fact some new ideas in this one for their games (finding the requests for the Book for instance (OK done in BFG games but not Elephant)) and the humour of our Raven helper is a lot of fun.
Cheers

Edited on 02/22/2013 at 8:55:16 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Feb 22, 13 4:30 AM
OMG! Are u sure BFG is selling game? They are now selling a movie in a game, or is it a game movie?!!! YES, its that GOOD! REALLY u are hooked too? (no pun intended). But psstt....BFG is offering the series at TWO NINETY NINE thats ($2.99)!!!

Still undecided? Really u had seen better? 10years down the road, developers will come out with VR movie game for adventure HOS. U are sure u want to wait till then?! Fishes have abt ...gasp...mostly short lives, a lot of us scales that itch quite a lot, especially when something this GOOD, this real 3D LIVE MOVIE look-a-like game came across our attentione.

HOOKED, LINE, SINKER, BUY BUY BUY

[Post New]by KowboyKrazi on Feb 23, 13 12:02 PM
Oh my, as much as I LOVE EG, this one I deleted after buying, nuff said. One of the pro reviewers has mentioned "to and fro", and there is so much to-ing and fro-ing in this game I wore out three pairs of sneakers in the time I played. The HO were tiny (out comes the magnifier) and other than the helpful crow, I was decidedly disappointed in this game. I usually will buy an EG game without trying, not so any more.

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Feb 23, 13 6:41 PM
I had fun on the hour trial ! So I decided to buy it... it kind of went down hill from there, try it for your self you may like it more than I . I am confused and constantly have to look in the SG for directions . I loved Hallowed Legends Templar , that one I played over many times . Just wish this one was more like that

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Feb 24, 13 9:08 AM
i enjoyed this game, so when the SE comes out i will buy keep up the good work dev's this game is outstanding, thank you for all your hard work and time graphics are beautiful and sounds are nice..thx BF for this awesome game ..

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Feb 25, 13 1:21 AM
I have just finished the game and thoroughly enjoyed it, there were some fresh ideas,and as usual the art work is superb.

DLO's is right we all expect too much from some Devs and I think this was a delightful game.There didn't have to be too much leg work as the map took you to each location, if you chose to play it that way.

Loved it

Linda

gheudi
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by gheudi on Feb 27, 13 11:44 AM
Am I finally losing it? I just started playing this game and I swear I've played it before!? The plane crash, the injured man, bandages, woman in white, restoring the photo.... Is there another game with the same beginning?

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 27, 13 3:30 PM
Another great game with fantastic graphics and animations. As always with any games the mini games drove me nuts and I had to actually use the SG to complete the one on the columns in the temple which had NO skip button...I still don't know how I finally did that one...just mostly guessing. The other mini game instructions could be quite confusing so I usually just waited for the very quick Skip to refresh.

HOS were interesting and somewhat easy. The Hint refreshed quickly which is always nice. This game really needed and did have an excellent jump map...couldn't have done the game without it. The curser was a bit "jerky" which made some of the finer points of the game difficult...was a bit irritating.

Game seems a little long...just on the edge of getting a little boring. Ending was OK, but seemed a bit of a let down after such an involved game. There are achievements if that is your thing and I think there were little animals you had to collect, but I only did if I happened to accidentally click on one...not sure what they were for.

Story was a bit bland but gameplay was good. Loved the rasty crow! Bonus game did not have anything to do with the main game, just an interesting addition. It was somewhat long for a bonus game. All in all I enjoyed the game but was glad when it was over. I give this a 4 out of 5. Can't beat those graphics!

Edited on 02/27/2013 at 3:31:22 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 28, 13 7:07 PM
Just finished playing the main and bonus games and enjoyed both very much. Unlike the fishies that don't like sparkles or the hints tell you too much, or any other thing that might make gameplay easier, I totally love!! There are the "hardcore" players and the "easy going" players and I am in the latter catagory!! There just can't be enough sparkles for me!! I thought the mini-games were both easy and some challenging and some I didn't have a clue!! The graphics were very nice, and the story really creepy (loved that!!). I thought it rather original in some ways and didn't get tired of the story or bored. I ,also, love Elephant games and was not disappointed in this one. I had a good time!!

feenix

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Mar 2, 13 11:52 AM
finished. Great graphics. I liked the crow Hamlet.

makewecasa
Clownfish
Clownfish
878 Posts

[Post New]by makewecasa on Mar 4, 13 8:32 PM
I love this game. It has added some really fun differences. I hope Elephant ignores all the requests to slow down on their games. This fishy can't get enough.

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Mar 4, 13 9:32 PM
This game was okay. It kept me occupied on a long Sunday afternoon and despite the fact that it's from Elephant, it didn't have the wow factor I've come to expect from them. I do like the finding the goblins in each screen (darn! I missed one!) but don't feel compelled to play it again to find them all. Finished the bonus game tonight and felt like I was just slogging through it. I did love the maze puzzle though - I love mazes and this was innovative. Although I turned off "special effects", it made my computer sound like a jet engine which is always a turn off for me. Sorry Elephant, maybe next one...

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Mar 9, 13 11:18 AM
grannyq wrote:
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Sorry, but it's not the little Dumbo sort of game I adored.

1) Thanks to Valdy, I know now that there are goblins - how did you find that? I clicked twice on unknown objects, which disappeared immediately, and I was announced that I found a morphing object. I left it, because I really didn't know what to search.

2) The screens were zoomed back (may be to make more space), but my eyes hurt to click on such mini-tiny objects around, especially in the HOS, in which I found (with hint of course) several objects blended in the background (black on black and dark).

3) The map lack the ! sign (actions to complete), although in the map appears one in the instruction). That forces me to lurk around, unless I use the hint (thanks god it's still excellent help).

4) May be the graphics are good, but it lacks the "wow" factor, which appeared in their recent games.

Positive change: in the first HOS I saw the title "skip" - but didn't find it on the forecoming HOS's. Pity, because it will be accepted gladly by the Adventurers, and the "too many HOS" complaint will stop. (yay!).

No buy for me.
#3 Yes that annoyed me too. Explained how it worked...........but alas it did not work!

"Actions to complete" were denoted on the map by the location shown in color - in other words, if there was an action to complete in that location then the location (scene) was colored, if not then it was black and white. The "!" was down by the hint button and, when clicked, showed the current objective. Obviously, this wasn't the best way to design the map since it's not easy to figure out for many people.

ETA: I finished the game (inc bonus) and it was excellent. The best Elephant has done since Nutcracker Stories.

Edited on 03/26/2013 at 2:31:11 PM PST

Go to: