[Post New]by shorenuf on Mar 13, 13 1:00 PM

Edited on 03/15/2013 at 4:50:44 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dreamscapes: The Sandman

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 13, 13 1:40 PM
shagwendy wrote:I own the Premium Edition of this game. It is great! Lots of menu options. Lots of achievements, Beholders, Diary pages, and Dream Catcher pieces to find. The hint button is a game in itself and also part of the Achievements for using it! This game is set in the Dreamworld so lots of neat scenery. It has chapters so there isn't a lot of backtracking and it's easy to play a chapter at a time and then come back. There are no HO scenes but otherwise it plays like a HOPA. It took me hours and hours and that's with no HOs(although looking for collectibles is sort of like that) and not much backtracking. I cannot recommend this game highly enough, it was the perfect game for me I can't believe they didn't offer the CE here, I still have a screensaver on my PC from this game. I'm glad I got it at the devs.

I got the Premium Edition as well, and agree with all that shagwendy has described. Excellent game.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Mar 13, 13 3:50 PM
Dreamscapes The Sandman is a very nice HOPA game without actual HO scenes. There is a lot to do and find and many puzzles to solve along the way. We also have achievements that can be earned as we progress on our journey to save Laura from the sandman.

The graphics in the game are excellent – very crisp and clear. Also when the game opened it did so in widescreen with no adjustments or buttons to tick to make it happen. The game has two modes of play – regular and expert. I played in regular mode and found some of the puzzles a bit difficult but that had to do more with my dexterity than brain power – lol. There are voice overs that are really good and believable. Overall the sound is quite good. Although the game seems initially a bit dreary, it is has a lot of color.

I found the story to be quite interesting and of good length. In all with just a few short breaks, it took me about six hours to complete. During the course of the story we get to meet Laura and her friend Tim, along with Laura’s “guardian” Benny, who I love. The game turned out to be quite surprising and I am looking forward to a sequel.

If you like adventure/puzzle games be sure to try this one.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 13, 13 5:02 PM
Nice graphics and game play. Music nice. Games simple. Very nice hint system and fills fairly quickly. Really liked the voice-overs (always a plus for me).

I like HOG's and I think this would have benefited from a few here and there. There just seems to be something missing. Not a challenging game at all, but okay.

Liked the little fuzzy animal. Not too sure about the "worms." Guess they have something to do with the CE version that we don't have. Liked the game, but prefer a combo game with HOG's. I'll have to think about this a bit. Didn't make me want to jump in and buy it, but it was a bit of fun.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

(Edited to fix typo)

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 5:10:26 PM PST

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Mar 13, 13 5:15 PM
Very nice interesting game. At first I was a bit torn if I would like it or not but after about 20 minutes, I got sucked in.
Thanks Playrix, who knew you would come out with an adventure game like this.
Everything good has already been mentioned by other fishies.
I just really enjoyed the imagination from these devs.
I got the paper mom by accident, wow, very creative, and shoo the fireflies into the bottle. Very neat.
Liked everything about this game, except it could have been a little longer.

I also liked that there are no HOGs. It was pure adventure.... and the eyes of the beholder...... too adorable. Some are extremely well hidden.

Truly enjoyed, but a little too short. Maybe I just did not want it to end?

Give it a chance, it's very good, not dark and eerie, but has it's moments of chills, due to the imagination of the devs. After all, it is a nightmare.....muuuhaahaaaa

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 13, 13 5:46 PM
A very nice game, Shaman. I am enjoying it and wish BF had purchased the CE. However, that said, it is more of an adventure game which is the type of game I personally enjoy very much. I also appreciate when the devs are acknowledge our support of their games. What a pleasant surprise! Thank you for noticing our input. Depending on the CE tomorrow, I am not sure I will purchase it. I am totally into this game, my noble devs. I am the Grumpy Cat on this website. Usually everyone gets annoyed with my comments. I can have quite an acidic pen and the BF Gestapo occasionally have to censor my remarks. Don't care because at least in the US we have free speech and I tell it how it is. I am not certain you had some previous games on this site. You are doing a wonderful job with this game and you are tops in my book with your concern for the customers and gamers on this site. Bravo!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 13, 13 5:59 PM
Ho hum, another game for the girls.

Developers:
A Cadillac hearse with a stick shift and a push button radio? What century is this?
A MAN IN A BLACK HOOD. You couldn't come up with anything else?

Too bad, lots of potential, story not interesting.

I tried, did not like.

sondown
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sondown on Mar 13, 13 6:09 PM
MM272 - You are missing out! Read your review (it was the 1st one - couldn't believe you were so critical). All I know is I played the demo as one of my doggies, loved it , bought it, and restarted as another one of my babies (rotation). I do not feel this is a 'dark' story. It is about dreams for for crying outy loud - sometimes they excite and sometimes they suck. I just love the the 'eyes' that we need to neutralize. This is a nice break from a HOG. Most of the puzzles are easy, with effort. A few I skipped and I am okay with it. I am at the halfway point and just want to say that this game is well worth the $, the game credit or coupon code.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Mar 13, 13 7:03 PM
Whew, I think I'm going to be able to use my time-limited free game code! I finished the demo and was not thoroughly bored or insulted for the whole hour. What a nice change.

Good stuff:

No HO scenes, that's great news.
Good voiceovers, no obvious grammatical or spelling errors in the text, no heavy music.
Little slimy hidden creatures to poke, uncover, and catch.
A compass that shows possible routes to take.
A collectible medallion to be completed as the game progresses.
Gremlins.
A few in jokes (something about a defective panel cover - "Did Russians install this?")
No HO scenes - did I mention that?

Less than good stuff:

Cartoony, washy graphics.
Very simple puzzles.
Searching for and using very ho hum objects like screwdriver, wrench, shovel in very predictable ways.
Same mysterious hooded man as in so many other games.

Hopefully the puzzles become a bit more sophisicated and challenging because I'm definitely buying this game.

[Post New]by floridagrannie on Mar 13, 13 7:47 PM
What a very interesting game. I really enjoyed playing. I did not find it "dark." I thought the graphics were just fine. I've come to the conclusion I like adventure-type games rather than HOG after HOG. This was a breath of fresh air. Thank you developers. This game was worth the price (at long last)! Will definitely look for the next game out by this devs. Oh, and I found the puzzles much more difficult than some of the more well-know game developers....and they were different. Well done!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Mar 13, 13 11:12 PM
I'm halfway through and quite surprised that this game is so short. It usually takes me a long time to complete games that other people say are short so this one must really be short - or was I just enjoying it so much that I lost track of time? I'm not sure how long I've been playing as I just jumped in and kept going.
OK; I have no idea how long this game really is.

Other than my confusion over the passage of time, I love this game! I love finding the little whatever they ares and the little furry creature who pops up in unexpected places. I'm one for creepy games (loved Redrum) and I would classify this as very slightly creepy although one part so far did creep me out a little bit as I still have a fear from my childhood.

The HINT Button recharges almost instantly; I like that. No HOS which is fine with me at this point as I have struggled through some really bad ones lately and need to give my poor eyes a rest.

The puzzles are almost too easy which I find strange as I am not good at puzzles at all and usually have to skip most of them. I've skipped one in this game so far because the way it played was making me rather nauseous.

This game is just fun, not too taxing on the grey cells and not too creepy. I'm hoping these devs continue in this line. I do love Gardenscapes (both of 'em; the garden is my screensaver) and have played each one several times.

One small point: the lip synching is way off and that bugs me. But that's a small issue. I'm enjoying myself and that's the whole point, isn't it? Kudos to the devs for this sweet little game and please make some more (and longer, too?)!

Addendum: After reading the other reviews I found out there is a CE and/or a Premium Edition that is not available at BF? What??? I would have happily saved up for a CE from these devs. I don't understand. Why it isn't offered? I feel kinda ripped off now and not too happy. C'mon BF! These devs are great! Please offer the premium games!!

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 11:26:11 PM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Mar 13, 13 11:15 PM
After playing the demo and reading the reviews and tech issues topic, I think I'll pass on this one for now. Most everyone is very enthusiastic, but there seem to be problems with play after purchase and download in some instances and that makes me leary Also, the lack of a walkthrough is a minus for me. The problem I ran into in the walkthrough was not addressed in the forum. Sounds like a great game, but I will wait to see how things develop.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Mar 14, 13 5:08 PM
For some reason I thought this was different than the picture - as it looks like a fairy in the picture, maybe it is, but I played about 10 minutes and it's too dark, won't be buying it.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 15, 13 4:43 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just swimming in to advise that I will be going ahead and making edits to a number of posts in this thread so we can keep this thread on topic, as per the post following the OP:

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

And in line with the the following Forum Rule:

Do not respond to or comment on posts or discussions that break the rules. Report the post or discussion to a moderator. Contributing, even to mention that something breaks the rules, keeps that discussion visible and aggravates the problem.

Now, back to discussing this great game!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 03/15/2013 at 5:47:57 AM PST

manysaying
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by manysaying on Mar 15, 13 10:30 AM
Thank you Big Fish and Developers for such a winner. As previous comments I agree with. One of the best. Yes caught myself smiling alot, scared a wee bit, not scared but a bit creepy. Must have a thing agains clowns. Voice overs perfect.
Thanks. Give this game a try for sure.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Mar 15, 13 3:30 PM
Just completed this AWESOME and very entertaining game, worth every penny and than some .
Seeing that there is going to be a sequal ..YAY , I just wanted to let the developers know, I'll be waiting ..SO PLEASE HURRY!!!!

I have never laughed so much, while playing a game before, Benny was just tooooo CUTE, don't know if it was his teeth, or his tongue, or his big eye's, probably all of the above, but he just hit a funny bone, I didn't know I had..lol.
And the beholders, WOE, just loved them, especially the red one's that had blood vessles attached..COOL, along with the flying ones and the spider one's, just could not get enough of those ..GREAT WORK!!!

This peice of work has game play, that I have never seen in other games, so kudo's for that as well.
I really just wanted to say that I hope the sequal gets here fast, but I enjoyed the game so much, that I got carried away again ...with all of the stuff that I just loved, about this amazing game.
DEVELOPERS...any idea ( hints )..as to how long we will have to wait ?

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Mar 15, 13 7:46 PM
I too, like many fishies here, LOVED this game. So many beholders to find! I thought the story was very intriguing, and the graphics were great.

The best thing is that there are no HOS! YAY!!!

Here's why some fishies think the game is short (IMO) - you didn't spend 3-5 minutes in an HOS 10 to 20 times trying to find the darn feather, screwdriver, flower, corkscrew, butterfly, frog, skull, bone, and all the other same old garbage that appears in them.

Here's why I like the story so much - read the paragraph above. I actually stayed interested in the story because I didn't spend so much time away from it in an HOS over and over and over again. In most games, when I finally exit an HOS, half the time I can't remember what I was doing or where I was going. I've been playing HOS for something like 8 years now and I'm bored out of my mind with those. I do play HOS (as there's not a lot of choice) and I do enjoy some, but not most, of them.

This is my kind of game and while I've always been a loyal fishie, I must admit that I purchased the premium version somewhere else based on the rave reviews here several nights ago. This is my kinda' game and I wanted the bonus chapter! Shame on you BF for not offering it. I would have gladly paid you 13.99 for it immediately based on the rave reviews and no HOS and I'm on a budget!

I loved the entire game - different dreams equals different scenery and different things to do. I didn't even mind picking up and using the usual screwdriver, shovel, etc. Will definitely be keeping this on my desktop so I can play it again and again. I played on casual mode (too distracted by multitasking) and finished it in a little over 3 hours and the bonus chapter was about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, if my calculations are correct.

The puzzles were pretty good, although I must admit that I did skip several that I usually don't care for.

My one problem is that it made my computer sound like a jet engine.

Please BF, try to find offer more adventure games with no HOS. I will be first in line as a purchaser. Thank you Shaman! I look forward to the sequel!

Edited on 03/15/2013 at 7:48:58 PM PST

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Mar 15, 13 9:28 PM
Great Game - Lots of challenges and the graphics were gorgeous. Kudos to devs for all the hard work that went into producing such a great game.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dreamscapes: The Sandman ~ have Phobias?

[Post New]by katbear50 on Mar 15, 13 9:32 PM
Am enjoying the game, was well worth my Credit.
However, for those with phobias, the 7th Chapter is simply titled "Snakes".

Go to: