Re:Reviews for European Mystery: Scent of Desire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 17, 13 4:02 AM
So Good, But Not Comfortable With The Look Of This One

BASED ON DEMO ONLY

This game, despite its very many good points just sits wrong with me. There is something in the way the graphics are done that harks back to an older style of game. One where the artists go for realism, but it doesn’t quite come off. Visuals are very important to me, so I won’t be buying the CE. I expect I’ll get around to the SE eventually.

Which is a shame, because the one thing I like more than good graphics in a game is a good story. And I think this has that. Heading into a plague-infected Paris in search of a serial killer is interesting enough, but then add the way the victims died. In broad daylight, and with every last sip of moisture drained from their bodies. Intriguing. Then, who is that guy who keeps trying to kill me?

And even that’s not all the unique offerings from this game. As well, we get to track down scents and combine them using unique tools. The other good points have all been mentioned by other reviewers.

The demo took me exactly 58 minutes, and I’m guessing this game is of a reasonable length. The difficulty level and HO/Puzzle mix were about right. I found the achievements fun and the collectibles just the right amount of hidden. (I liked the x idea too). But..., as a CE,

I don’t recommend this game!

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Mar 17, 13 12:47 PM
As for me, I am enjoying the game very much. The developers did a fine job.

The graphics IMO fit the mood of the story, and are beautiful. The game plays very smooth, and I'm enjoying the story. I really love this game, and hope to see more from this developer in the future.

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!

Edited on 03/17/2013 at 8:02:12 PM PST

HtwoO
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by HtwoO on Mar 17, 13 10:02 PM
Interesting reviews. I'm about in the middle of this game, and wonder if anyone knows if there are a set number of the hidden flour-de-lis per scene, or is it random. I feel like tearing my hair out if I think I'm missing any in any one scene after I've found one. Finding them is more challenging to me than the actual game. I played the Otherworld Spring game and was shocked that I'd missed any of those tiny fairies.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 18, 13 8:40 AM
This was a 5 out of 5 game for me. I totally enjoyed every minute. A long game with a great deal of things to do. I really enjoyed collecting the scents and making th e potions...what fun although it took me awhile to realize I had to watch the potion box in the bottom right to know when it was ready.

HOS were interactive and fun...several contained a lot of things to find, but they were not hard to locate. Mini games were OK...but I'm not a mini game lover however some were easy and fun and others I just couldn't get to work as the instructions were not always real clear or complete.

The skip and hint refreshed very quickly which kept the game moving. The transporter map was fantastic! One of the best. There are achievements for achievement lovers and little things behind "X" to find...but I only found 11 and that was by accident since I don't look for those things.

Graphics and animations were terrific and the voice overs were great...loved the detective and his wry sense of humor. Cut scenes were informative and quick...no drawn out or frequent scenes like other games.

Bonus game brings the main game to a close, but the main game concludes adequately. Journal is useless and I didn't need to use the strategy guide at all as all the game's elements ease you through.

Really, I could not find a thing bad to say about this game. One of the best I've played and highly recommend. You do get your moneys worth here.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Mar 18, 13 1:47 PM
Enjoyed this game a lot.. ..a nice change and many things to do.. .this is on my list to buy in the future...thank you

Edited on 03/18/2013 at 1:48:44 PM PST

[Post New]by avecsi on Mar 19, 13 1:14 AM
I'm liking this game, though it's not my absolute favorite.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Mar 19, 13 6:09 PM
I feel this game was OK. The graphics were great but the I felt like I wanted the game to end so I could start a new one. There was not a thing wrong with the game so I have no idea why I felt like that. Well, maybe otheres will feel differently. Ok then, off to start a new game!!! YEAAAAAAA

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 23, 13 12:52 PM
I am truly enjoying this game. Yes, the graphics are a little blurry, but not so that it ruins the game. And I may be in the minority, but I like the story, finding the hidden lily symbols, collecting and then mixing the scents, and while the characters are just a bit "wooden", they are interesting.
This is not Soaring City or Nutcracker, but it is a good game. I have set a screen saver(I like that we can do that at the beginning of the game), and I found myself engrossed and am looking forward to continuing the game tonight when I have time.
A for me!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Mar 25, 13 9:33 AM
we give the game a 2.5 out of 5 stars. the game is an average game.---------------------------doug & lisa

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 30, 13 4:11 PM
I certainly enjoyed this game. You get an interactive map, which is always a plus. Achievements, which are found differently than any other game I've played , the bonus chapter, and the usual 3 modes of play, wall paper, music, concept art, mini-games, and videos. You also have the option of turning off the interactive map if you want to. I did not find any trouble with blurred graphics, or anything like that. I rather liked the fact that you had a portable alchemist's lab and had to capture different scents and make elixirs for certain things. To me that was a nice addition. You also had to figure out what to do in the seemingly HOS scenes, which was also a nice touch. Although this game added a lot of different features, I did not find the puzzles difficult, although some you have 3 stages of the puzzle. The bonus chapter was sort of short, which was nice for me, since usually I've had enough of the game where I don't usually play the bonus game. I found it different, but good. And honestly I had no problem with story line, or the "dead bodies"...it's not as bad as some I've played, believe me. But if that kind of thing bothers you, don't play it. It was a nice change from the games I've been playing.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Apr 10, 13 8:45 PM
I really did enjoy playing this game for the most part, but I don't know what was worse....labeling Isaac Newton as an alchemist or crediting Shakespeare with Poe's "The Raven". I don't expect the developers to be spot-on with all their timelines and facts, but I thought those two were really "out there".

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on May 27, 13 6:45 PM
Kinda disappointed with all of the negative reviews. I thought this game was good! It wasn't one of those "wow - loved it" games but it was fun.

The graphics were good as well as the storyline and music. It was fun looking for all of the Xs to click on to get the fleur-de-lis's. Also, as you played the game, you were awarded with achievements. Nice!

The Hint button (always important to me) was very helpful. Another nice touch was an interactive map which not only allowed you to jump from scene to scene, but also had gold fleur-de-lis icons which indicated if something could be done there.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 4, 14 11:00 PM
Based on the Demo

The soundtrack for this game is superb, hauntingly beautiful. The voiceovers are very well done. The graphics and visuals are beautiful, amazing.

The storyline is interesting: young women are disappearing all over the countryside, bodies are turning up completely dehydrated. There is a story within a story because there is a plague in addition to the strange disappearances. The Detective is called in to solve the mysteries.

The hidden object scenes are not too easy, not too hard, very entertaining and interactive. The mini puzzles are great. They are all interesting and a lot of fun ranging from easy to moderately hard.

You get an interactive map that is very handy, a journal, and a scent catcher you use to find scents and make perfumes from them.

It is a very interesting multi faceted game.
It was an immediate buy for me

Go to: