mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mst3kr on Mar 21, 13 4:51 PM
Based on my experience with this game, I must've played a different game from many of the other fishies (and their positive reviews)!

Played for 30 minutes on the hardest level before demo ran out.

It's a been there, done that plot. Ancient [evil] relative released from magical bond that now you must return to order. No map, half-hearted voice overs, very few sound effects for items & whatnot, and just a blah feeling to the game. The most offensive part of the game were the graphics. They are unbelievably grainy, dated, and ugly. No beauty to them, at all. I was not engaged to the plot or game at all... The puzzles were the only thing half-way decent, and that's being generous.

This felt like it was transported from the 90's, or slapped together so fast the glue hadn't even had time to dry. And the results show.

Mediocre gameplay, horrendous graphics, & substandard plot. To each their own, but for me it's a no buy, no way, no how.

out of

Edited on 03/21/2013 at 4:53:51 PM PST

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dippydebby on Mar 21, 13 5:04 PM
Sorry, but I hated this game. It was boring, slow and stilted. The cursor had a mind of its own, and I felt the need to go to bed.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 21, 13 6:46 PM
Maybe I'm dumb, but the puzzles were hard for me.

Liked the hidden object scenes.

Music was kind of monotonous.

Story not new, could have used more voice actors.

A little different than the usual games. I'll probably wait for the SE.

ETA: widescreen is "letterbox" style, i.e. black bars top and bottom, which I don't care for.

Edited on 03/23/2013 at 6:08:36 PM PST

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Mar 21, 13 6:59 PM
Based on the completed demo, I think I can safely say this is just a routine, run of the mill HO-studded game with no new wrinkles. Is there such a thing as a new wrinkle? I have lots of old ones....

Good points:
--- Graphics throughout the story are average, but the HO scenes are clear and bright for the most part, not junky, and interesting to look at
--- Game play involves switching from dark/evil to bright/modern settings which is fairly amusing
--- Some HOs are actually anti-HOs where we place objects within the scene
--- One of the HOs is a Rube Goldberg-type machine that is fun and eye-catching
--- Music is repetitive but unobtrusive
--- Game play is Mac-friendly
--- There are some amusing moments e.g. giving a topiary dog a bone
--- During regular game play, the hint button opens a window showing where the next object or clue can be found
--- Map not needed because play area is fairly small at least during demo

Not so good points:
--- Familiar story with escaping demons and evil-looking old man - not sure about him since I was too annoyed and uninterested to listen to what he had to say
--- Puzzles didn't interest me at all so I skipped four out of about 8 of them

I'm on the fence about this game. I'm not interested in CE extras, just in the idea of extended game play, so would be interested in knowing how long the whole game takes to play. The last game I completed took less than 3 1/2 hours and less is not more when it comes to computer games.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Mar 22, 13 6:47 AM
this is definitely well worth game to collect and BFG is offering 50%! Clear graphics, some dark scary elements. Fun HOS, 2 modes, the text and place the object into its intended place. Fun mini puzzles, (i skipped the chest game).

Good storyline and easy game play.

DONT WAIT! Collect now!

[Post New]by els11011 on Mar 22, 13 7:19 AM
Wow what a great game, half way through and absolutely loving it. Some games grab you straight away and this was one of those. Love the put the objects back hidden object scenes and the changing rooms. There is plenty to do and while like others, I would have preferred a map, I'm not having any difficulty finding my way around. Can't wait to try the other two games now!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Mar 22, 13 10:13 AM
Since I loved the first two games in the series, I purchased this game without the demo. It is a long game with a good storyline. This game uses the same mechanism as the previous two games of changing light to dark and vice versa to change the time period. It is almost like having two games in one.

The graphics are good but as someone else mentioned the music is a bit monotonous. I realize this review is buried way down in the thread but if I had it to do over, I would not purchase the CE. The game seems OVERLY long and drawn out simply because there is no interactive map. Trust me when I say that if any game ever needed a jumpable map it is this one. Because of all the to and fro to do this then go all the way back and do that, the game has become very boring.

Aside from my frustration of no interactive map, the game is good and has excellent puzzles. I love puzzles and found many of them to be difficult. I even liked the different type of HOS and would have like to have more of those added to the game.

My recommendation is to wait for the SE on this game because without a map, it's not worth the price. I am at the point where I am not sure if I even want to finish the game because there is just too much walking about with way too many places to go.

Although I am enjoying the storyline all I can say is please, please end.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Mar 22, 13 2:38 PM
Nilosh wrote:I am glad that the series has continued and while I still do favor the first game, this one offers an interesting storyline. The graphics are good, voice-overs are few and the only game feature is your journal.

Personally the highlight of this game are the Hidden Object Scenes, they are varied and I especially love the ones where you need to place items back into the scene. Other than that, I still will stick to my guns and say that a CE game should offer more extras like morphing objects, collectables and achievements. Some may not find these extras interesting but in my opinion, its what seperates a SE game from a CE. As I never use screen savers or use any of the wallpapers, there just seems no point to spending money on extras that I have no use for.

Still a very interesting game with some interesting puzzles that are entertaining. I think that it really comes down to a matter of personal budgets and I personally will hold on to the extra cash for something that I can really sink my teeth into.

Nilosh, I couldn't agree more. I like this game, and will leave it in my GM to remind me to buy the SE. (bolding mine)

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Mar 22, 13 3:24 PM
I don't have time to go back and read every single review to see where this came from. In my first read through of the reviews, I seem to recall that someone mentioned the game had very limited areas to explore. I have completed the game and there were at least 17 different areas that came into play (I tried to recall all and might have forgotten a couple). You had to visit every single one many times throughout the game.

I didn't become overly confused with lack of a map, but I make my own notes as I'm playing. I enjoyed the game and like the fact that I can replay the puzzles. I have not played the bonus.

Edited on 03/22/2013 at 3:38:05 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Mar 22, 13 9:27 PM
I assume I am almost finished with the main game, but I have come to a problem with finding an object that I need. Having said that, I really am into this game!! Most of the mini-games were do able, some just annoying and monotonous (as in almost every game!). I think the graphics are terrific, the story very good (not totally original, but still interesting) and I keep forgetting to mention this in my reviews, but I LOVE games with elevators!! I don't know why, but I love the sensation of seeing the scenery going up or down. I'm sure Freud would have an explanation for that (!!) - like I don't know which way is up or something!! ANYWAY, to get back to the game, it is a beautiful game, and I have been up to this point, enjoying it very much. I have the other two games in this series. And I actually found some of the HOS enjoyable!! Yes, I said enjoyable, and this is from someone who really detests having to do HOS. Some of the HOS, the objects are very small, and the scenes dark, but for the most part, they are quite nice!!. I will complete my review upon completion of the game.

feenix

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 23, 13 3:41 AM
I could have liked this game, after all I did buy it on sale, but I really think it is one of the most annoying games I have ever played. It is one of those that you have to backtrack all over the place to get one item that you need elsewhere, and when you get 'elsewhere' you have to go someplace else to get something else that you need and so on and so on, and after awhile, to me anyway, it just becomes so annoying, and unfulfilling, that I just quit. It could have been a great game, all the pieces are there, but dang it, I feel like they are just keeping me busy, running back and forth, hither and yon, and here and there...whereas, they could have have really interesting game play that actually moves the story ahead. And I find that elevator, and the row boat tedious, as I know that I am only on them again to get one item, and then back to where I was, and then back and forth again. And this one is full of mundane items, like hammers, and saws, and one of these, and a part of that, and run back here and go there, and I am not doing it anymore. This is one of the few that I will keep on hand, and play for a couple of minutes, and may never finish, and wind up just removing it because the annoyance factor far outweighs the good. IMHO!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 23, 13 5:51 AM
Drop dead gorgous. Seriously this game has it all..amazing graphics, nice yummy story, a gazillion places to go (loved flying on Pegasys), every successful trick of the trade is in this one but with clarity, taste and depth.
The ONLY thing I was a wee frustrated about was having too close a relationship with the hint button, perhaps a map? But even with the hint button one has to think and go..no WHERE is that.. how do I get there.
MAgnificent game. MAybe the best.
kris

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 23, 13 7:08 AM
This was an extreamly enjoyable and very long game to play. Graphics and annimations were absolutely amazing. I could sit and watch them forever. HOS were very different, some like I've never seen. Mini games were certainly doable as I did a few, but since I am not a mini game fan, I did skip a lot of them since I just don't have the patience to work at them. However, they were unique. One type I really dislike and there were a few here, are the kind where you have to punch different keys or close all drawers or whatever to win the game...I find those outrageously tedious. Mini game lovers will enjoy this game.

Skip and Hint recharge, but are not instant...you have to do some waiting. I found I didn't have to use them much until I got close to the ending.

Big drawback for me in this terrific game was the fact THERE WAS NO MAP! You have to do an amazing amount of running around and a transporter map was simply a neccesity. The lack of one made this game very tiresome. A good memory helps too as there are a lot of scene changes and they are hard to keep track of. This is another area the transporter map would have been helpful.

I didn't use the strategy guide or the journal, but the hint did show you a picture of where you needed to go next, if you could remember where that was! Got tired of having to take elevators, rafts and cable cars....

With the exception of the above named items I would certainly reccommend this game...you do get your money's worth. I havent' played the bonus game yet as the main game was quite long. So, for what I've played I give this a 4- out of 5...mostly because of the drawbacks mentioned. Have fun! Interesting story with good voice overs and the music was good, although I didn't turn it down now and then!

Additional comments: Just finished the bonus game...this game so badly needs a transporter map...good grief. The hint helps, but you still have to remember where it is it shows you to go. This makes the game very frustrating and "not fun"...the bonus game has a lot of this moving around. Glad it was over.

Edited on 03/26/2013 at 7:48:31 AM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Mar 23, 13 10:24 PM
O.K., did finish the game and I did have to lol at some of the reviews re: elevators (which I love!), rafts,etc. But I must say, if ever a game needed a map, it was this one. I TOTALLY agree with WolfenRaindancer and all the rest about the constant back and forth. If I have one big complaint about this game, it's that. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Devs, if you have any mercy on us gamers, make a map!!!! Ofcourse, it has to be one where you can jump or its a moot point. I only played the main game at this point, because of what I just mentioned. These old bones are tired of all the back and forth - very aggravating and pointless. Having said that, I did enjoy this game and thank you to the "fishie" that helped me find what I needed - I have PM'd you. Where would we be without these forums????!!!!

feenix

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Mar 24, 13 2:09 AM
This is not worthy of a CE. Where are achievements, collectables, all the extras?! Not even a single wallpaper? Or have I missed something?

However, I like the graphics and gameplay, so I will get the SE when it arrives.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 24, 13 3:20 PM
First off, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The graphics were gorgeous, the gameplay was fun, the puzzles were do-able, and the hog scenes were creative. This being said, I could easily have waited for the SE knowing what I know now. The bonus chapter, while being fun, was not intrinsic to the main game. It was not, however, worth the extra money to upgrade to a CE. I didn't even notice the lack of wallpaper, collectibless, or achievements, as these are non entities for me.
In conclusion and IMHO, Great game, but should have been done as an SE

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Mar 25, 13 5:23 AM
Very good game! A lot things to solve and do, nice graphics and artwork, very smart puzzles and minigames, engenious concept! Definetly a 9/10 on this one!

Edited on 03/25/2013 at 5:24:31 AM PST

LuckyKK
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyKK on Mar 25, 13 9:13 PM
I really like this game. I also couldn't take advantage of the special to be able to buy the other 2 games cheaper, because I already own them. Plus, the CE is a NO BUY for me because I for one like all of the extras that come with a CE. I don't know how long this game is, but since it doesn't have wallpaper, and doesn't even show any extras at all, to me it's not worth a CE price. I'll buy the SE when it becomes available. I was going to buy the CE today to get an extra punch, but under the circumstances, no deal.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 10, 13 11:53 PM
Personally, I liked this game. Story line was okay, but playing the game non stop to completion was fun. Didn't have problems putting objects back into a scene, basically because it was sort of logical. And for once, I really didn't feel the need for a map, since you're on an island, there were only a few places to go. Not like you are tracking through a city, or countryside. Puzzles were not difficult because usually when you have a puzzle piece in the right spot, it highlights that piece. If you did not grow up, ahem, or still don't play tetris, then I can see where some frustration could happen, but that was only a couple of puzzles. The music was not irritating, the graphics were great, and I only had black bars on the very edges of my w/s on the left and right, not top and bottom. The only drawback on the CE were the extra's. Um, where exactly were the extra's? Replay the mini games, look at the SG which you could do at any point during the game, and a bonus chapter. I would have liked to see achievements, or collectibles. But that is really the only negative thing I have to say about this game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 27, 13 11:14 AM
we recommend this game to the game lovers that are a little experienced, it will confuse you if you don't pay attention. give it a 3.5 out of 5 . you MUST read and follow the scene, because you will get lost.---------------------------------doug & lisa------------------

Go to: