CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

Re:Reviews for Empress of the Deep 3: Legacy of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Apr 11, 13 5:39 PM
Well, I have the 2nd game and loved it, but this one just isn't grabbing me. Download was less than 2 minutes.

Graphics are kinda washed over - not crisp as I prefer. The HOG scenes are one wash of color but hard to see individual objects. (for me) NOT pleased that I can't even see the bonus part - but if it's only concept art then I don't care. And the bonus game - if I wanted a match 3 then I would have downloaded one.

Not CE quality in my opinion. Too bad.

CelticCoco

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Apr 11, 13 5:42 PM
In the 40 minutes I played (as Anna), I encountered 3 HO scenes, 2 simple puzzles I could complete, one puzzle still missing parts, and a new character who sent me on a mission. I played the first two games and feel no connection with where Anna is at the moment.

All I know is with the 3rd HO scene I was already saying "No, not another one." (The hint button, BTW, is available in hardcore. Go figure. There are no achievements, so it may just save me when I no longer care about finding yet another useless item.)

But, no, I am not at all sure I will buy this game despite what might be long game play and a bonus match 3 game I was fascinated with it the first time. Now I see from other reviews that the game play isn't very long. One less tick for purchase.

Playing on a Mac, the game opened in wide screen.

Three annoyances…
1. I played the demo in Hardcore Mode -- total description: "No Hand holding!" Do not get your hopes up. Anna speaks everything she is thinking. Oddly, the first puzzle had a place to click for help, the second puzzle just posted the instructions. Neither puzzle needed any. The hint button was also active. 2. On the 2nd page of the journal there was a grammatical error. 3. The inventory does not lock. You must click on the word "inventory" to open it, click it again to close it. The down arrow will not appear over the inventory. You must also click a Close button where the diary sits, to close the diary.

This could confuse those unfamiliar with the first 2 Empress games…
Jacob is back. He gives the briefest synopsis of Anna's history. Not far into the game, the Blue Whale shows up. The only note from Anna on that: "Oh my friend the Blue Whale must have survived the destruction." There is also the briefest mention of the evil Twin's history. Not much to go on considering everything from the past seems to tie into this story. Ultimately, of course you could play this without any knowledge of the past. I certainly have no memory of a phoenix although he apparently played a pretty big role in the kingdom because "now he is old, this is his last mission."

Edited on 04/12/2013 at 12:28:17 AM PST

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Apr 12, 13 2:49 AM
tj1147 wrote:After playing about half of demo:

I just cannot seem to enjoy this game. There are so many cut scenes and so much talking. I clicked "no" for tutorial, but it is there anyway. I don't like the graphics as they just aren't sharp and clear. In the H0 scenes, so many items are very hard to find and I used the hint to move along after looking for what seemed like a long time. Puzzles...not so bad. I really haven't been able to get into the story either.

For me, this game is not nearly as good or as well done as the previous ones. I don't think I'll be buying it.

I agree about the tutorial, I even changed profile incase I'd ticked the yes box by mistake, I had'nt. I have played about 20 min. and it's driving me mad. It shows where to go and what to do. I thought that was what I was supposed to do.

I also have to agree with "shorenuf" on page two of this section of the forum;

QUOTE "I certainly have no memory of a phoenix although he apparently played a pretty big role in the kingdom because "now he is old, this is his last mission."

I don't remember it either. I also won't be buying a CE for a bonus game thats M3.
Very disappointed. Was looking for a nice long game for the weekend.

Edited on 04/12/2013 at 2:51:19 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Apr 12, 13 6:43 AM
This is not a very easy game and as it goes on with so MANY places to explore the CE version with strategy guide is really useful.

There is an interactive map but u had to get to a some sort of cat station to activate it. What a bummer and quite a stupid idea, instead of just having a straight forward map to players to jump around fast

Great graphics, too much irriating talking and great continuous storyline from last 2 series. WORTH IT! Mini puzzles are easy and hos are relatively easy too!

BUY

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Apr 12, 13 8:02 AM
I enjoyed the other games in this series. I will wait for the SE version of the game....the "bonus" is not such a bonus in my mind and the SG is just so so. Anna's yakkity yakking is a bore and the music does get boring and annoying after a while. I really wanted to love this one.....but this is a no go as far as a CE goes for me. Oh the map does not let you jump from one place to another...so that is another annoyance for me.

Edited on 04/12/2013 at 8:02:51 AM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Apr 12, 13 8:44 AM
I have not liked or enjoyed this series from the first and this last venture proved to be right on target. Number one, the graphics were poor, washed out and boring which made the Hidden object scenes difficult to complete without using the hint system a lot. Second....Anna's voice, as well as that narrator guy, were horrible, so bad they grinded on my nerves intensely, destroying the game for me anyway

This 'Empress' is like a nightmare and if I am going to play horrible games, I would at least enjoy a nightmare plot and scary scenes. So, ok, the scenes WERE scary but not in the way that would make a decent game. Sorry if this offends anyone but BF has had more than it's share lately of below par games and still is if this is the offering we can get for a CE price.

AS someone pointed out, It might be good as a DD but for me, not even that. I'd rather replay a BETTER game than pay CE price for what is a way below par game and muck my way through this mess.

Whew.......hate to be so down on something but just got to me, I guess. Delete my post if it bothers you. Here's hoping BF has better offerings in the future.

Sad grandma in OKC......... .

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by kpajak on Apr 12, 13 8:47 AM
Hi all, another disappointing game, ho's are too blurry,hard to see, hint system is horrible, sorry I wasted money.... oh well, next game will hopefully be better, Happy Gaming all!

caseypup
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by caseypup on Apr 12, 13 9:23 AM
I really enjoyed the first Empress of the Deep, thought the 2nd one was way too easy and a snoozefest, and unfortunately this one seems to be the same as the 2nd. A definite no buy for me.

[Post New]by baby_girl66 on Apr 12, 13 11:12 AM
I try this game for an hour and I loved it. Going to buy next month.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Apr 12, 13 8:47 PM
I loved the first installment, got the 2nd one CE as it's just so beautiful, but this one...NO WIDESCREEN?!!? I just can't believe it as the only dev I have this problem with is the bunny, not normally these guys. Environment/scenery is lovely, but if the only bonus material is a match 3 (which was in the last one also) then it's definitely a no-go for me. Sorry guys, I really wanted to love it.

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Apr 13, 13 7:54 AM
Although devs seem to have their own style when it comes to graphics, etc, as a customer, I expect that if you're doing a series in a game, you want to strive to make each one better than the last. I liked the second one in this series. Played the first one a few weeks back and thought what was i thinking when I bought this. Graphics were grainy and overall thought the second one was better than the first. So when I saw they made a third installment, I had expectations that they would have done things to make this one better than the first. I was wrong. Even though I like the sounds and music, the graphics seemed grainier than ever, the colors seemed muddy and I didn't like how it played. It just didn't seem to flow smoothly. Was really disappointed in this game and lasted only 15 minutes before leaving. Used to buy the games because I wanted to own the full collections, but have come to learn that sequel or not, if I don't like how it plays, I'm not going to invest the money. After all, I play these for fun and if I'm not having fun, then I need to rethink things through. Sorry devs. Could have been so much more than it turned out to be.

[Post New]by fritzfan85 on Apr 13, 13 10:50 AM
Did not like this game at all. I am sorry I bought it and did not even finish. Other than the odd technical issue with other games that have been cheerfully resolved by the awesome staff, this is my first real complaint with Big Fish Games.

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Apr 15, 13 1:03 AM
Well I liked it...and I didn't like it....

It was a nice storyline...easy to follow

The game design was beautiful

The music was nice...did not get annoying like some games I've played

The puzzles and HOS were solvable...only had to use HINT a few times

The journal got glitchy (pages were messed up/out of order/not there)

I never looked at the strategy guide but I hear it isn't much help

The map only lets you "see" what area to look at next (and isn't always right)...it doesn't let you jump locations and gets confusing to use

The bonus content is a huge let down...just a short extra game play that unlocks a M3 game and concept art...no wallpaper, screensaver, music, "real" bonus play, etc (also trying to click on the silver cats is really hard)

Overall I do like this game and am glad I bought it...will probably go back through all 3 in order again...I usually like the CE with the early access and extras (and didn't expect to see a third installment) but can't really say it was worth it (getting one of the others was nice but aside from that...)

All I'll say is to each their own...personally I like this game and the first two...I also hope this will continue on and give Anna a real chance to try and save Pandora and Jacob

I give it a 3.5/5 rating only because the CE extras are really nonexistent (tech stuff I can understand...and since the puzzles are solvable without the SG I was fine not using it)

Happy Playing!

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Apr 15, 13 2:54 AM
I have finished this game and won 4 trophies in Zem before I quit playing the M3 portion.

I enjoyed playing the game in spite of the stretched, grainy graphics.

I really enjoyed the music.

However, I will NEVER purchase another CE where one is expected to "win" the privilege of looking at what is already paid for.

The concept art that I "won" the right to see was very nice, but, I cannot even set it as wall paper!
It was not worth the effort of playing Zem just to look at it.

Relaxed is not relaxed IMO if you are rushed to make extra points or "beat" an adversary and that is the the way I felt while playing the M3 part of the game.

I don't regret purchasing the game for I did enjoy the main part very much and I learned a valuable lesson in what not to do in the future.

BK

Edited on 04/15/2013 at 2:55:08 AM PST

5Jodi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by 5Jodi on Apr 16, 13 10:05 PM
I really enjoy this game and love, love the voice overs - for me, it just adds to the game. And I don't mind going into 1 or another direction -- it's like being on an adventure and seeing what will happen next.

The second EOTD Song of the Blue Whale was the best for me! I played that game twice and I rarely ever play a game twice. All in all, I love the imaginative graphics, the beautiful HOS games, even the puzzles (so far, I have been able to complete each one). I am sold on these 3 Silverback games!

Waited a very long time for the 3rd game and am really enjoying the fantasy!!

aussie42pd
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by aussie42pd on Apr 18, 13 2:15 PM
Not very impressed with this game. Graphics not too terrific and the game is slow going. Only played for 15 minutes. Not my type of game. Not even worth a free credit.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 19, 13 10:48 PM
Apparently, you can't please everyone. BUT, I'm a happy camper. I enjoyed all three in the series and especially this last one. The map has sparkles, whenever you have something to do in that area. Instead of jumping, via map, there are these teleportation devices placed around the areas. Very nice and different. I didn't find it particularly difficult, but it definitely did not take anything away from the game play. The twin sister story was carried through out the series, so it seems logical that the third one would utilize the same theme. Overall it was fun to play, and it had a great ending.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Apr 23, 13 2:42 PM
Runs rather slow, too many cut scenes, no wide screen to accommodate wide monitors, which puts the game out of proportion. Then annoying voices, (I always turn off the music) HOG scene items are rather hard to find. Just not that much fun. Am passing, no buy for me.

griffgirl
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by griffgirl on Apr 24, 13 8:53 AM
I loved the first two so I bought this one. Did not like the ending as it didn't seem to end. I thought there was too much back and forth. The dialogue was slow and annoying. I didn't like that the cursor unusable during dialogue.

If there is another one I hope it is more like the first two.

[Post New]by jbduster on Apr 25, 13 12:18 AM
[b]What a waste of my money. Not even close to the same play time of 1 and 2. Way too short, not interesting, didn't make sense, nice graphics with hardly anything to do in each scene...confusing and hard to get around....Don't waste your money folks...MAJOR THUMBS DOWN....Bonus is a laugh.....waste...

Go to: