Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by NancySusan on Apr 27, 13 7:23 AM
Well, I wasn't exactly bored, but between the fact this has nothing to do with Poe's Masque of the Red Death (and isn't it good that there is apparently no copyright problem with a long-dead author, because this is soooo not Poe), clothing has little to do with any particular era in the 19th century (top hats for day wear in the latter part of the 19th century? no; the guard was actually wearing armor on his torso, the starving woman in a non-descript long dress from no time at all), the carriage is from some mythical perhaps 16th-18th century???, anyway not the 19th, the politics of the so-called French village have nothing to do with the actual era (whatever that's supposed to be), pretty predictable gameplay, no morphing objects, not very interesting collectibles (okay, the kitten is cute, but not necessary to the game)..... Thank you to ERS for filling my new widescreen, but I keep remembering far clearer graphics in earlier games from this developer. I used almost no hints in HOS's, and I don't remember skipping any mini-games, which must be a record for me. I mostly used the hint button out of the HOS's and only now and then. As others have said, the only really interesting thing is who is the greater villain, but come on, one is a bad, greedy authority, one kills out of hand. That's a choice? Passing on this one.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 27, 13 8:14 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Have to agree with cbtx, twins, barbee and cathy; I got so bored with this game I didn't even finish the demo. It's all just the same old ERS package played a dozen times before. Yes the graphics are lovely and now I get widescreen coverage it does make the game far more attractive. But that isn't enough; there really is no challenge to these games. Even in advanced mode it was so simple to follow, the cat could have played it by him/herself.

Taking photos to use as wallpapers? No thanks. I never keep any game wallpapers; I like the one I use (Titanic) and have no desire to change it. Fortunately you can skip this slightly tedious aspect of the game. I don't know about playing with the cat since I just ignored all attempts to get me to go to the office. I've never seen the point of adding this to a game anyway.

It's unlikely I'll get even the SE of this game. Not challenging or different enough for me.

Me too. And I loved the first 3 EAP games.

LuckyKK
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyKK on Apr 27, 13 7:17 PM
I really like this game. I like the cute little kitty. It's adorable ! Plus the fact that I get to interact with it, evidently by finding it toys, is so cute. I really like interactive maps and I like the wallpapers also, so that's another plus for this game. I'll have to definitely buy it, even if it would just be the SE, so I can get back to helping Dupin.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Apr 29, 13 1:25 PM
I love ERS games and will be getting this one too....waiting for the SE though.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Apr 30, 13 12:17 PM
I absolutely LOVED this game!! All the usual bells and whistles, great graphics and voice overs, everything every EAP game ever was.

My only frustration was that some games could be reset, while others could not. I got to the very end of the bonus and lost one trophy because of this.

Well, okay... two frustrations... photography was tedious as well.

All that said, I can't wait for the NEXT EAP adventure and will purchase sight unseen, as they are always very adventurous and have VERY long play... I'll certainly be replaying this one!!

10/10

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 30, 13 2:09 PM
Possible Spoiler

Even with it's flaws, this is a great game. I would like the option of playing both endings without having to replay the entire game. I mistakenly got the scale backwards, so the game would not let me arrest the mayor, but forced me to arrest the Masque. Would have been nice to go back and rectify the mistake without replaying the entire game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 1, 13 2:14 PM
we love the game, have all of them. . Love the graphics, the storyline, the puzzles, and the HOG scenes. we recopmmend this game to all HOS lovers... we give it a 4 out of 5 what a great game. ----------------------doug & lisa.......................

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 2, 13 10:27 AM
Good grief, these Dark Tales can be confusing and frustrating starting off with that useless transporter map. Why? why is this map even there? It is only useful if you KNOW where you want to go next. With as many scenes as there are in these games you need a map that gives you some clue as to what and where you may need to go next and get you there with out click, click, click. Thank goodness the hint recharages quickly as it is your only means of efficiently moving around.

The journal, as all journals is useless....why bother? I truly love these games and the detective is a total delight to look at..too bad he isn't real. , BUT you spend time running around trying to find one little piece and then running back. Your inventory gets so big you forget what the pieces are for and where they go.....

Music is a delight...love that French style. Found that you need to really make sure you place objects EXACTLY where they need to go or things don't work and the curser can be a bit laggy and clumbsy...which adds to the frustration. Graphics and annimations are terrific as usual and game is clear and crisp.

Mini games are either really easy peasy or a nightmare. I sometimes wonder what the developers are smoking when they put together some of these games. The skip refreshes very quickly if you need to skip some as I did....the games are either easy, tedious or just don't make sense. HOS are different, varied and entertaining.

Has other dumb things like taking pictures, collecting these little objects...none of this matters to me and I find it a waste of time. I thought taking pictures might make the map work better but it doesn't. I did enjoy the "scale of justice" and the idea that you make the decision whether who is really guilty or not....that was fun.

Storyline if great and voiceovers nice and appropriate. All in all a good game if you can get beyond some of the frustrations.

Bonus game is a joke...not reallly sure why it is even there so you won't lose anything if you wait for the CE. All in all, I still give this game a 3.5 out of 5...and I will continue to buy them even though I know I'm into a ride of frustration!

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on May 7, 13 7:00 PM
I was so bored by the time I got to the end I didn't care a bit who was the bad guy. I just picked one and went with it. I've given up on the bonus game because I'm tired of it. I love Poe, and I generally like these games, but could they *please* have something (anything!) to do with the stories??? I really would appreciate more authenticity.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on May 8, 13 12:31 AM
Beautiful game with gorgeous locations and lots of detail with lots of puzzles and minigames. Quite a lenghty game too, though I forgot how long it took me to finish.
The cat was very cute to play with, and collecting all the trophies was cool too. Very smart idea with the justice scales and choosing the suspect (of course I chose the mayor; he was the bad guy, like all politicians )

Lots of extras and I especially loved the ''workshop'', seeing the young people behind the game, that was nice of them .

MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLent on May 10, 13 1:45 PM
This is the best game yet! I love this developer! You go guys and gals!

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by Jerry99 on May 19, 13 10:03 AM
This was a very good game and I recommend it to anyone. The graphics were excellent. ERS does a great job with clear and well drawn graphics. Good HOGs.
Hint system was excellent, did not even need a walkthrough or strategy guide.

The collectors edition added a lot to the game and I would recommend getting the collectors edition.
The mini games were very good, not too difficult but not too easy.

Overall I would recommend this game.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 25, 13 10:39 AM
Another great Dark Tales... I agree with all of the positive reviews.. Great graphics and art design. Love the voices. Very disappointed in the length of the bonus chapter, very very short and I am a slow player. Hope they do not use that photo of each area that you have to take so many steps to complete one picture and if you miss one it isnt on your map.

Will be on the look out for their next game. Love these devs..

Happy game day

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 7:27 AM
Be Still My Heart, We Have An Office

BONUS CONTENT REVIEW + NOTES ON MAIN GAME

Yes, it’s true, the kind and charming detective M. DUPIN (and the team at ERS) has, in this our fifth case together, granted us an OFFICE. And the official title of BEST FRIEND (study your office walls).

And what would an office be without TROPHIES, AWARDS, AND FRAMED CERTIFICATES. Yup. We have ACHIEVEMENTS! And a KITTEN! The kitten is truly awesome, don’t forget to play with him. And keep an eye out for his COLLECTIBLE TOYS (only a few) throughout the game.

These are the FIRST TREATS for the COLLECTORS EDITION. There is also of course (big breath):

12 WALLPAPERS, 15 CONCEPT ART SHOTS, 4 MUSICTRACKS, 4 SCREENSAVERS, 9 MOVIES, 30 BEHIND THE SCENES SHOTS, 14 REPLAYABLE HOs, 20 REPLAYABLE MINI-GAMES!

Plus, the in-game STRATEGY GUIDE & BONUS CHAPTER.

The BONUS CHAPTER

This took me roughly 1 HOUR 15 MIN, but I SKIPPED a puzzle or two. It is NOT NEEDED for the MAIN STORY, it is an epilogue offering a peculiar TWIST IN THE TALE. Personally, I found this chapter’s STORY & ENDING CONFUSING. I probably should have paid more attention to names and faces in the main game.

It covers NEW AREAS, PUZZLES & HOS almost exclusively, but some of the characters are the same. There are EXTRA KITTEN ITEMS to COLLECT & ACHIEVEMENTS for this chapter alone, but to SEE THEM & THE OFFICE you must START again on the MAIN GAME.

If you find yourself just a little bit IN LOVE with DUPIN then the CE BONUS CHAPTER is ESSENTIAL.

As for the GAME ITSELF? I won’t go into detail about the MAIN GAME, because if you have found me, you have waded through dozens of reviews already.

For me, the STORY automatically makes this a MUST HAVE. It appears that it’s going to be more thought provoking than most. Not only are politics an integral part of the investigation, YOU have to DECIDE who is GUILTY at the end of the game. This is an aspect of the game that MAY be for CE players EXCLUSIVELY, but I don’t think so.

GAMEPLAY & PRODUCTION QUALITY is CLASSIC ERS. Hand drawn water colour GRAPHICS, SEVERAL TYPES of HOS. EASY PUZZLES.

I recommend this game!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jun 7, 13 7:19 PM
mar39 wrote:I was so bored by the time I got to the end I didn't care a bit who was the bad guy. I just picked one and went with it. I've given up on the bonus game because I'm tired of it.

Same here. I think this was my last ERS game period.

[Post New]by katherinebruce on Jun 9, 13 8:28 PM
Don't know how many others spotted it, but I'm convinced the noticed the Tenth Doctor's sonic screwdriver and the Journal of Impossible Things in one of the hidden objects scenes in the extra story. Anyone else spot it?

[Post New]by Ekaterina1232 on Aug 28, 13 1:05 PM
I loved this game! It is my favourite of the Dark Tales series and one of my favourites hidden objects games at all.
I liked the story, the bonus chapter in the CE (which let you have the correct ending for the game: if you play attention the hints to the real bad guy are in the main game yet), the office, the trophies, the camera, the puzzles.
And of course I loved Dupin , really looking forward to play another game with him.

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Nov 26, 13 1:20 PM
Finished playing and loved it. I've always loved all the Edgar Allan Poe games and this did not disappoint. It was lots of fun. Got frustrated at a few points, but nothing bad.

Go to: