cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 27, 13 9:13 PM
This is a nice enough game with an interesting story, good enough graphics, and some interesting puzzles (that are "different"). And, after the beta test that so many seem to have gotten, I thought there might be some improvements. But, not to be----it looks pretty much the same.

-The cut scenes are awful----they look like what you used to see in old adventure games last decade.
-There is too much hand-holding via the text and the voice overs. Stating and restating the obvious.
-The music is almost non existent, and made me wonder if the sound was even on.
-The map cannot be used for movement (as is being done so often now).
-Hints and skips take too long.

So, it's an ok game, but has too many things about it that keep it from CE pricing for me. I thought about getting it during the sale, but think I'll wait for the SE (and then maybe get it with a Monday double punch! )

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Apr 28, 13 12:20 AM
Janeypat wrote:oh I envy you fishies who could download and play - me stuck on 13 hours and 47%) is it really worth it or should i just give up again - oh who needs wallpaper soundtracks etc -can we have the option to buy -don't think anyone will with a CE think they would all want faster download speeds - but don't hold your breath - you could die waiting

Yes Janeypat, it is a very good game as per some of the reviews here and on the main game review page. The best of the game is past the intro demo where it really takes off. Just depends on if you like the regular games and what they offer or if you like more challenging games that involve more gameplay and involvement of the gamer with new and different stuff. Depending on your preference in those areas will determine whether or not if it's for you in that respect

ETA...Just finished entire game and bonus play...worth every penny and played from start to finish perfectly

Edited on 04/28/2013 at 5:01:25 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Apr 28, 13 5:32 AM
With more puzzles than HOS, scary storyline, WOW graphics, life like scenery, collectibles (scorpio), this game is for keeps. Its a CE tood!

Did I mentioned that BFG is having a sale? YES, YES, YES,

Highly recommended get your free stamps and used them on other CE series during this bundleful sale period

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Apr 28, 13 9:48 AM
There are so many reviews posted already that I don't need to get into the technical stuff but I want to give my game rating so here goes.

For those of you who have been craving something more in games and want a real challenge, you have just stumbled upon one of the most difficult HOPA games offered recently. I consider myself an expert and I struggled. This is not one of those games that you complete in an afternoon but more like a week of intense play to really solve the game. I love puzzles and we certainly have them with this game.

I am not sure I would recommend this game for beginners as it is one tough game. A beginner might spend most of the time in the strategy guide in order to find out what to do. I admit I even peeked at it when I was stuck and had absolutely no idea of what to do next. There is a hint system that also will lead you in the right direction when lost.

All in all, this is an absolutely excellent game that will keep you on your toes and maybe even provide a little brain burn. Since I had seen the beta of the game, I went ahead and purchased it outright since I knew what to expect. I believe it is certainly worth the money and with a weekend sale it is an absolute value and a must to have in your game library.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Apr 28, 13 10:08 AM
I know all the good and bad things have been said already, so can I just say, if you like a bit of a challenge with your puzzles, buy this game!
I found them a little tricky sometimes, and skipped only one after a long frustrating trial and error.....(the puzzle was one I NEVER get in other games!!! )
It was a refreshing change to not have your hand held for the entire time, or to be so obscure you are continually checking the strat, guide!!!!(I did have to check a couple of things though......... )

Edited on 04/28/2013 at 10:09:27 AM PST

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Apr 28, 13 1:41 PM
I really loved this game! A jumping map would have been nice, but it was definitely easy to navigate. Not too many HOS and most were interactive - would have liked more of a certain kind that you see in the beginning (only 2 that I remember). The puzzles had a unique take and were intriguing. Very nice graphics and I really like that the whole thing doesn't happen in one place (like a house, a hospital, etc. like most games). I can't wait to play it again. Bought it without demoing based on the fabulous reviews - even without cbtx's! - and the great sale this weekend, ! Always love finding extra items (scorpions - not a spoiler - the game tells you). All in all, a really great game that lasted a long time.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Apr 29, 13 3:23 AM
I have beta tested this game back on February, and I found it really interesting and entertaning, thou a bit creepy! I had not tech issue while playing the beta, neither with the demo version, it's a really good game, with very good graphics and cleaver minigames, definetly a buy!

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Apr 29, 13 4:51 AM
Just finished the game. Enjoyed the main game. But, for me, the bonus was just okay. It followed the storyline of the main game, but the main part was tied up nicely enough to stand on its own. (Odd sentence, I know, but I don't want to give away any of the story.)

I would recommend the SE to anyone trying to decide between CE and SE.

just my two cents

Jorie

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Apr 29, 13 12:21 PM
I will probably purchase this as the SE version. I did enjoy the game and the music wasn't annoying, the graphics were clear and the puzzles were difficult enough without being too difficult (except for the balls which I skipped for time's sake playing the demo). I enjoyed the scenes where you use the hidden objects and inventory items. I don't usually buy the CE anyway but the SG was pretty good too.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Apr 30, 13 4:33 PM
Just finished the main game and bonus play, for the developers first IHOPA, they really deserve a lot of credit .

For all of those fishie's wanting harder game play, and puzzles...You got it with this game .
For something different, I did enjoy playing this one, and with the sale it was a good deal, had I paid full price though, I would have been disappointed, because the bonus play for me was to short, hopefully in future games these developers will make the bonus longer .
Also for me, there were times when I had an item, that in real life, I would have been able to use, but the game wouldn't let me, so that was a bit frustrating at times .
Besides those 2 negatives, I thought the developers did an excellent job, for their first IHOPA .
Even though it was harder than normal, it still didn't take me long to complete, the main game and the bonus.
I did like the H0 games, and collecting the scorpions, and at first it was hard to get a good flow, but once I got further into the game, it got a lot better.I LOVED the hint system used, first time seeing this system in a game, very helpful, if needed.
So for those of you affraid of getting stuck, no need to worry, click on the hint, and it will show you were to go with arrows, and circle the item in your inventory to use, in that area.
I think if these developers tweek a few things, ( skip button fill faster, longer bonus content )...in future games, they have a BRIGHT career ahead of them .
I hate that puzzle with the 3 black balls on one side and 3 white balls on the other, and you have to get them to either side, by jumping over each other, its an old game, but I never liked it, that is why I would like a faster skip button .
The player should be able to decide, if they want to skip, or not, so making us sit there and wait, will not change anything .

Try this one and decide if it is for you or not, its worth a shot, IMHO .

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 1, 13 12:38 AM
Just finished the game, took me about 3 1/2 hours. I really enjoyed the puzzles and figuring out what to do next, but it just didn't wow me over. The story line was a bit off, for me. Meaning continuity of the situation. One minute your at your bosses house, next minute your at a Mayan pyramid, just not a logical progression for me. Then it all ends up with her asking was it just a dream....um, nope. The one part that made me laugh, which is always a good thing, was catching the mongoose. Parts that I did not find relevant were things like getting the right amount of "swing" if you will, when you are hammering the key to straighten it out. I felt like I was playing a golf game. Little things like that were sort of not necessary. Oh and attacking the guards at the end...nope, didn't have any fun with that either. It almost felt like they tried to put some arcade gaming into this..i.e. the shooting gallery, popping balloons with darts...just felt like I was wasting time doing those sort of things. BUT, if ya like that kind of thing, then this is the game for you.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on May 1, 13 10:08 PM
For me this game is a 10/10. I'm loving the story, the puzzles, the IHOS, and those great little scorpions. I read the other reviews and realize that not all games please everyone, so when in doubt, take advantage of the free trial. I did and I was hooked,
This game is different enough that I don't get that creepy " hmm, where did I see that before" feeling. Bravo to the developers!

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on May 2, 13 10:36 PM
cbtx wrote:
-The cut scenes are awful----they look like what you used to see in old adventure games last decade.
-There is too much hand-holding via the text and the voice overs. Stating and restating the obvious.
-The music is almost non existent, and made me wonder if the sound was even on.
-The map cannot be used for movement (as is being done so often now).
-Hints and skips take too long.

Perfectly put!
I do applaud this new developers game however I found the constant bouncing up and down and up and down of the inventory dock to be annoying as heck and the voice overs were horrendous, I would love to know what is so very hard about them - I have bought dozens and oodles of games here and I can maybe name FIVE that had decent voice overs. I detest being "talked" to like I'm a 5 year old child.

I bought this on sale and if I hadn't, I would be really upset. Graphics are very great but I am tired of running all over the place or waiting for the hint to refill just to figure out what I'm to do, maybe I'm having a Stupid Day or something but this game is just too much work...could have been wonderful with a few user friendly changes (jump map! Lock inventory! less black bars stating the obvious! )

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on May 4, 13 9:42 PM
For ME, this game was very disjointed and was difficult to play.. It didn't pull me in at all and I found the tasks to be quite tedious.

I REALLY hate that when I chose a level of difficulty based on ****NO**** sparkles, sparkles are everywhere. Developers really need to correct this... it's a bate and switch deal and does NOT make me happy...

I have the first two of this series and found this one to be seriously lacking in so many ways.. especially the map which was NOT helpful at all. I nearly wore out my sneakers on this game.

The hint system was irritating.... it takes you to the EXACT task you are to perform... not to the general location... too much help, in my opinion.

Please try before you buy this one... I think it's a little awkward, don't really recommend it and will definitely not replay it.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on May 4, 13 11:38 PM
I'm glad people are so honest with their reviewes. I've been looking for another CE game to play after just finishing an excellent game (Shiver: Moonlit Grove) and wanted something to match. With this one, I was on the fence. I do like the interactive scenes and am a fan of puzzles; so will sit and wait for the SE to come out and then reconsider.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on May 5, 13 8:32 AM
This game was just ok for me. The story-line was blehhh. Cheesy really. I was hurrying to end the game so I can play another one instead. I did buy the CE & wished I would have waited. OH WELL!

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on May 10, 13 8:17 PM
"EEEEK" Alert
For those of you extra sensitive to the "S" Words,
and/or Sudden Shocks,
then this may not be your cup of tea....just sayin
kat
=^,,^=

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on May 12, 13 7:05 PM
I enjoyed the demo. Aside from the lady voice, I thought it was different. Loved the interactive 'hog' games. Will def. buy when SE.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 12, 13 11:53 PM
Well, I want to like this game but I can't say I'm enjoying playing it. The puzzles are either so easy that they can be solved in 15 seconds or so difficult (for me) that I can't figure them out. The SG gives the wrong solution for one puzzle that I managed to solve anyway, but c'mon! Wasn't the SG checked?

The Hints are over-done. Please, if I need a hint I need a hint - not for you to take my hand, lead me to the exact room or building to which I need to go and then point out the object in my Inventory and the device or structure to put it on. Why don't you play the game for me? Oh, I forgot. You can't get the solution for at least one puzzle correct.

Yes, I'm cranky because the last game I played was fantastic and creepy and so far this game is nothing but a dud - with one exception and that is the interactive HOS that aren't really HOS but you have to do a lot of stuff to get the item. So far I have completed two of those and at first I thought it would be awful but it's fun!

Unfortunately that does not make up for the rest of this game.

Addendum: I continued "playing" and am even more disgusted with this game. As far as I can tell, the fishing puzzle is impossible to win unless the player has a very expensive gaming computer. I only have a fairly expensive gaming computer and so I was forced to skip this game. I am not happy.

Edited on 05/13/2013 at 2:48:48 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 16, 13 7:07 AM
yes, we give this game a 4.5 star out of 5 star, it had some great puzzles and it was fun to play. it is a very long game and it is a GOOD storyline.........................................doug & lisa--------------

Go to: