CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

Re:Reviews for Island of Death: Demons and Despair

[Post New]by CelticCoco on May 3, 13 6:58 PM
I played 15 minutes then got depressed and bored so came and read the reviews. Decided to give it another shot, couldn't get the mop, got bored and miss-clicked so missed the last screen just before the game ends with the buy now screen.

Opinion not changed. Too bad. Really is dark and depressing. I'm in So. Cal where it is in the 90's and fires all around, a little rain should be refreshing, but this is just not it. So sorry, devs, but this one just doesn't connect well.

Some points:
Don't call them zombies if they aren't; people are too familiar with zombies these days.
Lighten up the screen so we can see the objects.
Name the objects properly (a coin purse is not a wallet).
Have someone play and evaluate a beta version BEFORE releasing it.

Too many little things are not quite right with this one. Sorry. Not a buy for me. MAYBE a daily deal if I really needed one more punch credit.

CelticCoco

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on May 4, 13 6:05 PM
Despite an interesting beginning--I loved the opening storyboard, the hand-drawn graphics & lovely artwork--I met 7 hos in 30 min of playing.

That's a hos every 4 minutes! Way too many hos for me.

Not only that, every scene/transition brought a black screen & "loading" notice. That's absurd given my computer has 12 gigs! of ram & should easily transition absolutely unnoticeably. Some scenes stuttered too, so not smooth programming at all from my experiences.

Thus, while storyline intrigued me, I won't be going forward in this hos-fest. Maybe some others will like it though.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on May 5, 13 12:10 PM
Once again, another waste of a free game code. This game was awful !! Maybe if the hidden objects scenes were'nt so ghastly awful dark it would have at least been bearable. I HATE these games where things are just thrown around in TOTAL darkness, and you sit there repeatedly hitting the hint button just so you can move on ! On a scale of 1 to 5 I would rate this game 2.

karenmusik
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by karenmusik on May 17, 13 1:52 PM
Meh. When a game promotes "gloomy atmosphere" as a plus, that should tell you something. I might have spent my credit on it, except there is no map and I got really tired of jogging through the rain. Plus I'm getting really tired of saving idiot husbands/boyfriends. I seriously wondered if there was an option to fly out of there and bomb the island. The mispellings and poor translations were annoying, too. Maybe as a $2.99 game when I'm really desperate.

Volauvent
Manatee
Manatee
3,757 Posts

[Post New]by Volauvent on Jun 3, 13 12:30 PM
Yep, a coupon buy. Just had to have it, and am determined to finish it no matter how many times it crashes, which is a lot as you near the end.

I'm used to broccoli being cabbage and chairs being sofas. But when a big plastic star is referred to as a trunk and a desk is actually a plank and a butter dish turns out to be an oil can, well.... that's over the cliff and off the planet.

I guess I'm hooked because I can hardly wait to find out what other total nonsense these devs came up with before the game is over.

I would never recommend this game to anyone. It's illogical, poorly designed, crashy, and it just dawned on me that it was written over another game without being adequately proofed.

The game must have been thrown out there to cover payroll.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 14, 13 10:03 AM
I'd hate to be the Devs when (and if) they read these reviews!! I did finish the game, not because I was really enjoying myself, but just to see how they managed to get away. The misnaming of the objects in the HOS REALLY got to me. Several reviews have mentioned this and, come on, Devs, do some research on the English language if your going to create a game. A "desk" is a "board" ?? really??? and since when is a "butter dish" an "Oil can" Yuch!! And what the heck is a "sprat"???!!!! Way too much running back and forth in the rain, also. I'll probably catch one heck of a cold!! The cursor was constantly freezing up for a few seconds and got quite annoying after awhile. Also, if your going to have a hint button, it should point you in the right direction - my hint button was constantly pointing in the direction of the store and there was nothing to do! All in all, a fairly frustrating game, and I certainly wasn't laughing!!!

feenix

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jun 29, 13 5:12 PM
Has anyone else noticed that below the devs' name is the phrase "Playing Intelligence"?

Oh, what a mess! When is a "dall" a book? What the heck is a "dall" anyway? There might have been a picture of a doll in that book but if there was it was so tiny I couldn't find it. And when is a cupcake a pie?

I found three errors in the second HOS. I suspect this game will be full of them.

Wow, those red-eyed people sure look evil! It's a good thing they're afraid of water. Hydrophobic red-eyed infected zombie-like products of an experiment gone bad?

So these two people get married, fly off to an island, she falls asleep and he takes off on a jog? Am I missing something here?

Is this a spoof? Or are we supposed to take this game seriously? I think I got this one as a freebie so I'm going to play it but I have a feeling I'm going to be laughing. A lot. At least there's no mis-click penalty.

A butter dish is an oil can? Really? Oh my!!

Cherry

Addendum: "Gee, there's something under this amazingly small pile of leaves and my husband is infected but I DON'T FEEL LIKE DIGGING WITH MY BARE HANDS???? What kind of wife is she??

And what is an "asterix"?

Edited on 07/03/2013 at 7:06:45 PM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jul 22, 13 5:19 PM
i'm stuck even the hint button quit working. has freeze on me twice. will probably uninstall if I can't find what to do.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Aug 24, 13 8:23 AM
Actually, it's a good story. I did enjoy it, different than the usual witch seeking revenge on the lovers or stealing the child bit. The demon angle seemed totally superfluous, though. It was a good story about a rogue scientist who created a vaccine that went wrong, and then suddenly they throw a bunch of demons in that made no sense. I don't know what this obsession with demons all these developers have. Can't they just do rotten incompetent people? When I was growing up there were no demons in stories, and they were thrilling just the same. Guess it's just a sign of the times.

The big problem I had with the game (besides the demons and technical glitches, which meant at the end of the game I had to simply make sure each step loaded before going on to the next one - finally managed to get through the whole game) was the graphics. They were just too dark in too many areas, impossible to see.

I don't know why developers will keep insisting on putting in dark and too small objects in their HOG scenes when folks keep telling them those are deal breakers for them. You get halfway through a scene and finally give up and go for the hint, and it circles around this area that is practically pure black and seems to have nothing in it. That's no fun.

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Oct 23, 13 6:37 PM
Not a bad game, but sorely needed a tech editor to go over it before it was released. There are multiple items misnamed, such as a gear called an "asterisk," an oil can listed as a butter dish (item needed for inventory so considered this a huge error), and gems called a "stone amulet" then called "pebbles" in the mini game - just to name a few. There's even a place where you find part of a trunk and it says, "I need something heavy to break open this trunk" and this is long before you ever even know there's a trunk somewhere to be opened. There are also improbable situations such as having to use a key card to even leave your hotel room and a simple road barrier you could step around or over, but no, you have to find a key card. The hint system is also error ridden, sometimes taking you back to a place where you already completed an action and when you click where the help system says to do something, nothing is there to do or you don't have the right inventory item to do the step it wants you to do.

Edited on 10/23/2013 at 6:40:11 PM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 9, 14 9:48 PM
daisyduck352 wrote:What an awful game.. It sure was a blast from the past.. Now we can see how far the games have come and this one sure showed us that. Only lasted 10 min and knew it wasn't a game for me..

Same here. Awful.

Go to: