Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

Re:Reviews for Castle: Never Judge a Book by Its Cover

[Post New]by Micha1234 on May 5, 13 7:05 AM
Cromaxgal wrote:I might play the 60 minutes but it's pretty boring and drab and as much as I love the TV show, the characters aren't pretty or handsome enough and they made Castle too thin. Ha Ha. No buy for me.

yep, same here. Found it plain boring....lasted 15 minutes, that's all I could take.

audreydi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by audreydi on May 5, 13 1:16 PM
Love love, love this game no walkthrough needed at all, just use hint to forward what you may have missed,if your like me that needs a walkthrough for every game.71 years hard to see and saw clearly this is a great game,well done Devs.More more more please.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 5, 13 3:53 PM

I'm in the USA but never saw this show.

Game is ok, clues and evidence are left with some coherence to a real crime story.

Hidden object scenes are fairly easy, while the puzzles are more difficult (or should I say more time consuming). Nothing really new puzzle-wise. Memory types, rotating levers (ugh!), shape matching etc.

Music sounds like 80's elevator music, annoying after a while.

If you like realistic crime-type games you will probably like this one.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on May 5, 13 4:36 PM
An interesting game. On the order of the "Women's Murder Club" and "Murder She Wrote". I am enjoying the game, but I cannot stand the repetitive music.

Clear graphics, have to read "voices" and junk-pile HO scenes. This game could have been much better with "actual" voices.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on May 5, 13 7:17 PM
It is one of my favorite shows. I more than likely will buy, just because it's Castle. I have a lot of games still to play. CE and SE, so I will wait for a little while before buying.
I found the game to be slow paced. I didn't feel like I had to rush. I think it is another great game for a rainy weekend.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 6, 13 5:21 AM
surprising good for a non CE, mini puzzles can be hair tearing, and mostly I skipped. I hate those lights switch on and other lights affect whatever lights that were already switched on games.

Storyline is interesting, and interactive HOS. No spoken dialogue its all written, bummer. Worth a stamp!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 6, 13 12:52 PM
Loved it. No bells/whistles/morphs. Just a good solid game.

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on May 6, 13 1:53 PM
Just reading the widely varied reviews of this game, and felt I should add my few cents' worth. Okay, I could have waited a day, and gotten it for half price, plus an extra punch. On the other hand, I couldn't have gotten it at all, since my computer's acting up, and I can't download anything. But I couldn't have waited! I was so excited to see
Castle as a game! I watch very little TV, only a few series, and this is pretty much my favorite. Of course, my judgment is affected by being a fan of the show, but I think they did a great job. Not done yet, but enjoying several features. Not too many HOG scenes, (yay) and they're somewhat interactive. I like the puzzles; don't care what others say. It didn't occur to me to ask about a walkthrough; the hint system is more than adequate, as is the interactive map, which also tells you where to go next. I was initially disappointed at lack of voiceovers, but realized it would be worse to have non-original cast voices. The story, a tad grisly, but true to the show's pattern, would make a decent episode. Wouldn't it be fun if they did it?

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 6, 13 8:31 PM
A 5 out of 5 in my book...totally enjoyed this fun, fresh game. HOS were easy and different. Puzzles as usual, were a nightmare for me, and there were a lot of them. Some were easy but most didn't even make sense, so I was thankful for a fast skip button. Puzzle lovers will like this one. Excellent transporter map!

Story was unique, but there was quite a bit of dialog, but you could skip it. Interogation was fun. Like the characters. Many things to do. Just the right length...clear crisp graphics....not a disappointing thing about it although I did get a little confused by all the characters.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 7, 13 1:47 AM
I am a huge fan of Castle and was hoping to like this game. However, I agree there's nothing new or unique about this game. But there are a lot of great games that offer nothing new other than the story line. All good stories require a great hook. This story doesn't have even a poor one. Fortunately, the conversations are skippable or the tedium would be unbearable. Even the HOGs and puzzles are boring.

One star for bright, clear graphics.

Edited on 05/07/2013 at 1:59:11 AM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 7, 13 4:52 PM
O.K., finished the game, read all the comments and reviews by fellow fishies, and I agree with everybody!! (Just kidding), but I think all aspects of this game have been covered. I do like the TV series, I didn't like alot of the mini-games (the putting together the computer - are you kidding me??), the phone mini-game that just didn't work, I could go on and on about how annoying they were. The HOS were easy, no problem there, the music was fairly annoying especially the semi-Techno stuff (yuch) and just to address the comment about Castle being too thin -he was thin the first couple seasons if you look the old ones up, then he sort of "blossomed"!! The story line was good, and game play very long, but I agree with the back and forth stuff getting ridiculous objects, that no way in real life would you ever use that way - I know, its a game!!! But still!! Anyway, I had a pretty good time, didn't cost me anything and I was impressed by how much the characters looked like themselves!

feenix

Okay Game, But Not Great

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on May 8, 13 1:40 AM
This is a review of the entire game. Just for the record, I never even heard of the TV show.

This game was okay for me, but not great. I don't like HOS and the ones in this game were slightly annoying, but not that bad. The problem for me was the puzzles and mini-games. I usually try not to skip them, but I skipped the majority of them in this game. They were too tedious and unenjoyable for me.

The interactive map was nice and it showed where actions were available, but it just transported you to general areas and not individual scenes. So if you see there is a task to do on the map and you click on the area, it takes you to a new area, but there might be 4 to 5 scenes in that area. You then have to figure out in which scene or scenes there are tasks available.

The graphics were nice and the sounds were okay, but I didn't like the music. But for me, the biggest problem with this game was the incessant dialogue between the characters. First, I like voiceovers and this game did not have them. I didn't count, but I estimate that there was over 500 lines of dialogue between the characters, if not more. After a short time, I stopped reading it. Every time dialogue came, I just clicked away to get rid of it in a few seconds. I estimate that if you took the time to read all the dialogue, it would add about an hour of playing time to the game.

Then there was a Storyboard with Victims, Suspects, Witnesses, and Evidence. Sounds nice, but it was absolutely useless. I thought that at the end of the game, you would have to solve something using those clues; but you don't! It's just there to look at, but it's not used for anything. There was a phone that rang periodically that was a nice touch to get messages from your colleagues.

The game was pretty long and took me about 5-6 hours to complete.

For me, the game was okay, but it wasn't great. So I recommend this game with reservations and give it one thumb up and one thumb down. I rate this game a 6 out of 10.

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 1:46:14 AM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 8, 13 12:56 PM
This review is based on playing the entire game. I have never watched the TV show.

This was a very enjoyable game for me. The highlight of the game for me was the various puzzle mini-games. They actually made you think and work out how to solve them. A lot of puzzles in games are so easy that they aren’t worth playing. The ones in this game were a refreshing change. I played the game a second time and made video solutions of the puzzles and posted them on youtube.

I liked that in the hidden object scenes you could look at a list and silhouettes and go back and forth between the two types of lists. There were also interactive objects in most of the HOS which is always a pleasant added twist.

The hint system along with the interactive map, make it easy to move through the game without a walkthrough. It was a little too easy sometimes. The map would always let you know if there was still something to do in a location. And if you hit the hint button the game would practically play itself.

It was a good mystery story with lots of twists and suspects. Voiceovers would have been nice but the dialogues gave the game a feel of reading a mystery story.

The length of the game is very good. It has 5 chapters with the 5th chapter being slightly shorter than the other four.

I used a punch card credit on this game and it was well worth it. Lots of people say there are not enough games to use their PCC’s on, so this is a good one, especially for that. For a Standard Edition game I would rate it 8 of 10.

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 1:01:46 PM PST

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on May 8, 13 3:31 PM
I'm a huge fan of the TV series, so the bantering back and forth between Beckett and Castle was nothing new to me and could be read very quickly, as I could finish their sentences by knowing them both so well through the series. I was a little bummed at first that there were no voice overs, but as one person posted, it would have been unbearable to have had to listen to voices that were not the authentic Beckett and Castle.

For a regular game... this was pretty good and was very long play (in my humble opinion). It was a great break from all the CEs I've been playing lately and it was nice to use rather than lose a free game because of no gaming options in my genre of preference.

It is not as sophisticated as the CEs we are used to, but they did a darn good job with it with regard to the map and hint system. The graphics were wonderful and the HOS were crisp and easy to see. Items were well hidden, not drawn so darned tiny that I had to get out my magnifying glass. I did find the music annoying after a bit, but no problem... I just turned it off!

This game was a hidden gem, so glad I found it and will happily purchase Castle games in the future.

I highly recommend this one!!

[Post New]by purplehatlady on May 11, 13 4:50 AM
I really really enjoyed this game it held my attention, and I played it to the end because well no excuse - great graphics, good story line i have never played this type of game before - are there any more? or is this just a one off. Thanks to all the fishies on this review page its down to you that I bought this game
many thanks the purplehatlady
ps please dont remove my reply just because I use punctuation marks its the way I was taught!

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on May 11, 13 1:30 PM
To each his own! I loved it. And it was nothing like the Murder She Wrote games. This one had a good story and our favorite characters and delightful puzzles. It was also nice and long. No vampires, monsters, gloom and gore! This one made my Top 10 this year.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 18, 13 7:03 AM
we loving this game , we did not realize it was after a TV series. it reminds us of the first nancy drew games. we give it a 3.5 out of 5 .-------------------------------------------doug & lisa.................

[Post New]by Underthebridge on May 18, 13 10:58 AM
Played the demo..fairly good game, I would say a 7/10...I just think it is funny how you need a stool to reach a cabinet, but not to install a light bulb.. .I find this happens in most games.. ...other than that lots of conversation that I skipped(since there were really no clues needed from talking) ... there is a jump map that tells you if you have a task or not, so I skipped all the dialog..even if I owned the game I still wouldn't read all that...but I did enjoy the game as I LOVE the show...I just wish on TV, Castle would take that damn shirt off...

[Post New]by EagleWolf on May 20, 13 8:59 AM
WOW! I just finished this game and it is one of the best I have played in a very long time (besides The Princess Case: A Royal Scoop). I give it a 10 or 20! This game kept my interest from start to finish, is much much better than the James Patterson series and was a lot of fun.

I am so tired of the dark ones (Hidden Object) that keep coming and coming in long lines of negativity and not so fun games. I have thought of just plain giving up on Big Fish Games after trying a long string of this type. But I see reviews from others who feel the same way, so I keep hope alive that there will be a good mixture each week. I know lots of folks like games that have terror and twisted minds and all manner of mahem and weirdness. Just like some people like the same in movies. But I really want to enjoy and relax with quality themes. Yes, there are murders in Castle Never Judge...but it is not focused on the macabre or
making you sit in terror of what happens next...

The Castle game is supposed to have another one behind this...I hope it is soon.
I have started playing the games I bought that are sweeter, nicer fun types and finding something a little lacking in comparison, but better than the current fare.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 20, 13 4:00 PM
I think if you are a fan of mystery then you will probably like this game. I always like to try and figure things out before they tell me who the culprit is. Anyway, it was a nice relaxing pace. No sense of urgency, or super difficult puzzles. Jump map, always a plus and not too many HOS either. Most of the time the item you need is in a different location than where you are, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that difficult, but definitely enjoyable.

Go to: