mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Nothing to Get Excited About

[Post New]by mrssharon on May 7, 13 9:45 AM
I played 28 minutes of the demo and stopped. First of all because I was stuck (that almost never happens to me) and second I couldn't stay awake.

The music was very soft and lulling, although I did find it appropriate for the atmosphere of the story.

The graphics were not very good, in my opinion. Colors were nice, but not enough to make the graphics better.

The cursor was erratic and dragged a lot. Hard to click the OK when you received an item.

The hint outside of HOS was totally useless. I went from scene to scene and always got the "nothing to do here" message. So that begs the question, if not here, then where? No walkthrough or guide makes it difficult to progress.

All in all, if you don't get stuck it may be an okay game, just not for me.

Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace

[Post New]by mctann on May 7, 13 10:43 AM
I guess that I jumped the gun so to speak, by purchasing this game following the demo. I too thought that the game looked extremely interesting, great graphics, and just a little challenging. However, now that I've purchased the game and tried working through it on my own, I've found several areas that I simply cannot progress past. After seeking out a little help, I've discovered that there are multiple users that are experiencing various difficulties with this game and there is no assistance to accomplish tasks throughout the game. I have to ask, where is the walkthrough, BFG? I'm not one that uses walkthroughs on a regular basis. In fact, that aren't many games that I require this level of help with, but this game happens to be one of them. The "Hint" button does not seem to be of much help at all. I'm to the point that I'm really very fed-up trying to work through the multiple "stumps" in this game. Sadly, without the help of a walkthrough, I'm afraid that I cannot recommend this game to anyone.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 7, 13 10:45 AM
Played 20 min and it was enough for me to decide that it won't be a buy for me. Nothing new or exciting and just don't need another game like this.

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on May 7, 13 11:26 AM
I am really amazed by the positive comments on this game! I am by no means an expert, but I hated this game. It seemed so old fashioned, the only animation I saw in the Demo was the Zzzzzzz's from the Prince! Hated it. with a passion:

[Post New]by cde456 on May 7, 13 11:57 AM
Do NOT buy this game! It is beautiful to play but there is no walkthrough. This means that when you get stuck, you have to stop. The "help" button only says there is nothing more to do but does not tell you where to go next. And I am at the point where each room I enter says there is nothing more to do. So frustrating. I wanted a "pretty" game rather than all the macabre ones we get. Too bad.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on May 7, 13 2:03 PM
I like pretty settings, not mental hospitals and dungeons. However, the poor hint system and click penalties were enough to change my mind. If I want to play a game about a princess named Sophia who awakens from a magical slumber in a beautiful palace, I'll just replay Awakening.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on May 7, 13 2:04 PM
I must be spoiled by the newer games. This doesn't have accommodations for the wider screen and I don't like the accent. The hint button is fast but it doesn't give you many hints and all it says is 'there's nothing to be done here now' so it's not directing you to where you need to go next. Not worth spending money on even if it were on sale.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on May 7, 13 4:12 PM
wow.....this had potential to be a great game....if not for the lack of hints and getting stuck so early in the game...in the room with the sleeping prince, the hint button points to the lamp but when I click everywhere, nothing happens...can't go any further....no buy for me....not unless they come up with a walkthrough.....

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on May 7, 13 4:55 PM
I did not enjoy the part of the demo I played. It may be attractive, but it quickly goes to boring. This is an absolute no buy for me.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 7, 13 4:56 PM
Looked at it quickly due to time constraints. A definite "won't buy" even with a coupon. I would never play this game. I am certain this is a new dev probably from some Slavic country trying to get a start in the business. They are off to a good start, but this is a low budget game lacking many of the elements needed to make it a great game. Not having the time, I do not waste it on inferior games. For an SE is it okay and is still better than many of the SE's on this site. And....I am so sick of royalty, castles as much as I am sick of vampires! Maybe in Europe royalty is a "big deal" , but not here in the U.S. Can't any of the European devs come up with better ideas than dark, dreary castles and rundown buildings with vampires, kings, queens, princesses, werewolves? Well you get the idea. How about space? Anyone ever thought about a game dealing with other planets? Then again, we will probably still get the vampire, werewolves, queens, princesses there as well. And, how about leaving France devs? Geesh, think of all the other countries you could cover in your games? If I see any more games about France, I believe I will develop mal de mer.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 8, 13 12:18 AM
Pickles77 wrote:wow.....this had potential to be a great game....if not for the lack of hints and getting stuck so early in the game...in the room with the sleeping prince, the hint button points to the lamp but when I click everywhere, nothing happens...can't go any further....no buy for me....not unless they come up with a walkthrough.....

Pickles, the Hint button pointed at the lamp for me too. There is nothing. That's a glitch. When you leave the room and come back in, there will either be a HOS somewhere else inside that room or the Hint button will point at the right object to look at - can't remember now which it was.

--- --- ---

sunnyglow wrote:If I see any more games about France, I believe I will develop mal de mer.

You will develop sea sickness if you see one more game that plays in France? Hmmm... interesting. I think someone watched too many Hercule Poirot films.

--- --- ---

A very helpful fishie told me that when you are downstairs in the hall by the big entrance door, there is an exit to the LEFT, where the statues are. I never saw that one coming. I was able to go right, but my cursor failed to show me the way left.

And why DIDN'T the cursor show me that I would be able to go left, as it's done in every other HOG? Instead telling me there is nothing here.

I have the feeling this is a very old game, which has been polished a little by adding a partly interactive map.

Although I didn't think that the graphics were all that bad, they certainly looked old-fashioned to me. And since the HOS are all just straight forward ones, it's another indication that this is an older game. Same goes for the hint button, which doesn't tell you enough outside of the HOS.

[Post New]by monstious on May 8, 13 1:26 AM
I usually don't write reviews. However, this game has gotten me so frustrated that I have to say something. At first the game was enjoyable and interesting. However, once you get stuck and need a pointer you start to find that the hint button is useless. You are constantly going in circles trying to find things. Not only am I frustrated, I have a headache trying to figure out what the heck I am supposed to do. Not having a walk through is a big negative for this game. If the hint button was more helpful then it would be alright. After playing the game for the past 3 hours, I am now stuck with one item in my inventory and nothing I can do. After looking in the forum it seems that almost everyone is stuck at this part (birdfeeder, water element, etc). I really want to finish this game. But without any helpful hints or help this game is going in the trash.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on May 8, 13 2:03 AM
Thanks a bunch, Valdy! I retraced my steps and found that I completely missed a room, I guess it was the bathroom where I got the soap, etc and used it on the prince, lo and behold, when I went back in the room once more, there was a hidden object scene! You know, I think I just might get this game in spite of what I said, it sure is a challenge! But there seems to be an answer for everything, just have to find it and I do love the graphics, quite pretty

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on May 8, 13 2:53 AM
The game is not so dynamic, but the architecture and the bright colors got me to buy it, even if there are boring points here and there, however the artwork is awsome, and it deserve a recognition, the story is interesting and makes you keep playing the game, nice puzzles and minigames! 4

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on May 8, 13 6:53 AM
the worst game of the year yet!the programming work is more than bad!the cursor is the same in active area and in area where there is just something said by the woman!and in the whole game!and stay actives all game long!the fire starts in chimney in bath room,but in zoomed view,it is not!and all the same all along!i can't write here the great number of these mistakes!devs,you have to refound your game from beginning!it would have a good potential,but is totally spoiled by the neglected programming!

queenjanis
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by queenjanis on May 8, 13 7:58 AM
JaggerTheHutt wrote:Nice game so far. Makes a change from all the plain HOGs. Very pretty artwork and the scenes aren't too cluttered. So far there's no tiny objects straining my poor old eyes.

I'm trying it out now, I do like the game. I like the transportable map, but I can't seem to find anything, I need a few more hints, but overall it's a very good game. I think people will enjoy it.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 8, 13 8:16 AM
I actually like this game, but this game needs a walkthrough. The hint is USELESS! IT kept pointing to the mirror, when there is NO interactive needs whatsoever. What an idiot. I got a crystal ball, a razor, whatever nots I forgot

I went to the garden, went inside hall, bedroom, bathroom, guest room, click hint and it said "There is nothing here, explore somewhere" What the hxxx, where!!!??? Its supposed to hint, but be cryptic!!

Interactive map is good, graphics is good, game play can be so hair tearing as the cursor kept going away from u. I wanted to do something in an inventory area, eg, fix the horn on the unicorn, and when I zoom in and try to place my cursor into the inventory box, instead it zoom out again!!! What the hxx, and I had to try like 2x before getting it correct.

Same with the guest bedroom, I found a window handle, and wanted to fix it into the window. I tried LHS, failed, try RHS also failed, try 2x and this time succeed. Must pt exactly LHS of the window #@%$&^*

I will wait for the walkthrough, skipping it at the moment, too frustrating, even though its a good game and with good storyline

PS: All the game play I mentioned, I got it from 1 hr trial, so download and see for yourself, no spoilers coz I didnt buy the game. U shld be able to do some inventory items like me during this trial and anyone found the issue with how to resolve a "running" cursor let me know

mavethrave
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by mavethrave on May 8, 13 2:45 PM
WARNING!!! This game has problems. I, like so many others am at the point where nothing works right and you can't finish the game. The help feature is useless. With so many people reporting the same problem, the game should be pulled until the developer fixes it and anyone who bought it should get a refund. Buyer beware, I hate it that I paid for it and can't finish it because of the problems with the game itself.

moondances
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by moondances on May 8, 13 3:35 PM
I'm hoping the developers read these reviews bcz I enjoyed the game (just played demo)-The only thing I had a problem with was how touchy the game was-I would try placing an inventory item, but when it didn't work, I went on only to realize later that the item should have worked in that spot-Upon returning and clicking over and over, the item would suddenly 'fit'-A walk through would have at least let me know I had the right item in the right spot-I will probably purchase this game later (BFG, you've had too many great sales lately-My wallet is complaining )

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 8, 13 5:02 PM

This is hands down one of the dumbest games ever made.

I don't care to speak to a gyroscoped-faced hooded being. (Huh?)

Also too "girlie" for my tastes. Sorry.

Only plus, plays in widescreen in Windows, . Artwork was very bright and colorful, but the blurriness was disturbing. Music too repetitive. Objects given strange names ("rosette" was not what I imagined).

Go to: