admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Reviews for Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by admiral1133 on May 11, 13 3:24 PM
AWESOME GAME. Everything is good about this game, especially just when you think you have finished, there is more and more and more. Even the bonus game is fun. The HOGS are not hard and nothing is of a mini-size to find. I will play this again. The only negative is that some of the puzzles are random click the correct sequence, which is a total waste of time for me. I just pass on those, don't ever seem to be fun anyway. Thanks BF.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on May 11, 13 11:28 PM
A good, l-o-n-g game with an OK story. My only quibble is that response times are slow, e.g if there some kind of animation going on nothing else happens until it stops, which is a bit annoying in H0 scenes. But all in all one of the better ones.

[Post New]by x3t3rn1tyx on May 12, 13 4:25 PM
i don't get why so many people are complaining about this game, i know its a matter of taste but i particularly find the graphics very nice, the story really sucked me in(and this is a rare thing for hidden object games), i though that the cutscenes really added a more "adventure" style to it and the variety of gameplay and level of difficulty was very enjoyable so i would love to see a sequel for this game

just for my curiosity which games you guys think have better graphics than this one? actually i know just one: Angelica Weaver if they release a sequel with this quality of graphics and animations holy cow that would be fantastic

Edited on 05/12/2013 at 5:39:41 PM PST

nyknight55
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by nyknight55 on May 12, 13 7:42 PM
This the very best game in long time I have not enjoyed every aspect
of a game so much since MCF Dire grove fantastic !

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 13, 13 1:27 AM
I have to say that I rather enjoyed this game. I don't know if it's my system, or the particular graphics card I have, but there was nothing fuzzy or blurry on my screen. Everything was clear and very crisp. Graphics were beautifully done and I liked the story line. I don't think it always has to be about having a fast response time, or voice overs matching the characters. Sometimes you just have to sit back, relax, and enjoy a fantastic game where you visit different times and beautiful places. I certainly never played a game where I visited heaven or hell. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I just think this was an awesome game. Sorry for those who did not enjoy it.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on May 13, 13 12:02 PM
This is a definite must buy for me....BUT apparently the bonus chapter is necessary for closure on this one....so I will probably get the CE even though I don't use any of the "extras"....I hated that they did that because I loved the music, the graphics, the storyline, the puzzles and "having" to pay for a CE to "finish" the game is kind of souring.....

[Post New]by els11011 on May 14, 13 6:42 AM
nyknight55 wrote:This the very best game in long time I have not enjoyed every aspect
of a game so much since MCF Dire grove fantastic !

Totally concur with everything you said here. Love this game and Dire Grove was my all time favourite until jump maps and reverse hidden object scenes came into vogue. Now Dire Grove seems outdated lol. For those not wanting to try this game, I recommend you give it a go as this game gets better the further you go along. I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on May 15, 13 2:11 AM
What a great cinematic game with an epic soundtrack and a story of good and evil, Heaven and Hell (and the Gates of the two are really cool locations, it was fun to see the Purgatory part of this game) Excellent graphics, especially in the beginning, some beautiful scenes there with the trees waving in the wind..

Quite a long game too, it took me a while to complete; the bonus chapter was good, fun and long too. Loved the interactive ''put stuff back'' HO scenes, my favorite; and the puzzles were fun to play.

I enjoyed it.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on May 18, 13 10:44 AM
I liked the game with it's combination of adventure and HO Scenes. It had good artwork and a well done story. There is a map that shows areas that need attention and places indicated that allow for jumping from spot-to-spot. It was a nice long game.

POSSIBLE SPOILER -- THE ENDING:

Some people are complaining about the Ending. If you think about it, the game ends with the culprit getting away. The Bonus Chapter continues the story of how that person got away and whether that person was caught.

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 10:45:17 AM PST

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on May 19, 13 12:23 PM
For a game it was pretty decent ! The graphics were nice but some areas were just too dark. Storyline was ok and the mini games were also fairly easy, some were a job for the skip button. Overall it was a good weekend game...didn't like the ending though....all that effort for what ? Hope I didn't give away anything. oh, and the map..absolutely awesome, great feature !!

[Post New]by whirled_peas on May 19, 13 1:17 PM
This game provided enough entertainment to waste a Saturday evening/Sunday morning. HOS scenes were different enough to keep me interested, not too many puzzles (which is not necessarily a good thing) and they were a little too simple, however, it didn't make my computer sound like a jet engine and that's all I required at the time. I thought the animation and voice overs were not too bad at all with no lagging between scenes. Jumping map completed a reasonably good game overall, especially for a sale weekend.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 20, 13 3:30 PM
we really liked the game , we give it 5 stars out of 5 stars , we recommend this game to ALL. no matter what type of game you like, you will like this one.............................

Reviews for Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on May 23, 13 2:10 PM
I really enjoyed this game and one of my favorites of the year so far! It seems people either loved it or hated it. I liked the graphics, but can understand why some did not. They aren 't for everyone. However, for me they were great. The storyline was interesting and I wanted to follow it. There weren't too many HO's and there was a good mix of the difficulty of puzzles. I loved visiting the other worlds. It keeps the game from getting boring. I took hours and hours to complete and I played on the hardest difficulty. There is a jump map for those who like the convenience. The only down side was that you MUST do the bonus game in order to get an ending to the game. I have to say that really isn't fair and I was disappointed to see that. Don't see how they can sell as an SE without a proper finish. Otherwise, I would recommend to those who like a moderate challenge with few HO's.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on May 27, 13 12:07 AM
An excellent game. Goes to my top 10 list! Wonderful imagination, great graphics, A lot to do. Plenty of puzzles and hidden object scenes. I was never bored. Hint was terrific, never got lost. Interesting story line. So glad I bought it!!

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on May 27, 13 7:22 PM
Superb! Best in a long time!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 31, 13 12:02 PM
I agree with all of the positive reviewers. This was great CE.. Nice long game and the bonus in my opion was certainly worth the price..
Great storyline, graphics and artwork is on of the best I have played lately.

Happy game day

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jun 4, 13 7:47 PM
If you are looking for LONG game play, you have found it!! But beware, it is very tedious and boring. Long lag time between scenes and far too much running to and fro. THANK GOD for the jump map or I'd still be in chapter two!!

The HOS were obviously developed by multiple developers, and the quality of them really varied. Some were very well done and some were extremely amateurish. Go ahead and play, you'll readily discover this.

The main game ended very abruptly and for me would have been a cliff hanger if not for the bonus game to follow. The bonus game was of very good length, and eluded to a sequel which I will be loathe to play, but probably will since pickings are very slim to us who purchase every CE

I bought, I played, but I had no fun doing so. My time would have been better spent cleaning out my flowerbeds... Definitely try before you buy this.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 9, 13 2:42 AM
Yup, I’m Buying

BASED ON ONE HOUR DEMO

This one looks like a winner. Not extremely difficult, but it has atmosphere and visuals and a good mix of gameplay.

INTRO is a blast, and gets the adrenaline going straight away.

The STORY is a bit confusing at this stage, the gist of it seems to be, as a member of the Helsing family you are the only one who can track down stolen runes across a series of worlds. The runes are needed to keep the Portal to Evil closed. In the demo, I got to see the first of those worlds, which gave me a feeling of witches at the stake, although in fairness to the village, no stakes were in evidence.

There was also a very intriguing ghost I’d be interested to know more about.
It looks like a LONG GAME. I was halfway through the second chapter when the hour ran out and there are 10 CHAPTERS plus the BONUS. Definitely want to see the rest of this one.

The background SOUNDS & MUSIC were both CREEPY and religious, sounded like I was at a very solemn religious ceremony – one that might involve sacrifices!
The GRAPHICS were REALISM, VERY WELL DONE. Very CRISP, although a lot of DARKNESS as well. HOs were easy to find.

The HOS were few, but I visited them twice, once with an INTERACTIVE LIST and once to REPLACE OBJECTS.

There were also NOT MANY PUZZLES, what there were, were medium difficulty and some were ORIGINAL. Some of the puzzle instructions left me without a clue as to what to do, and the SG was NO HELP.

This game seems to be mostly ADVENTURE, and fairly EASY, and there is an INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP and DIRECTIONAL HINT as well.

There are 15 MESSAGES to COLLECT, but NO ACHIEVEMENTS.

BONUS CONTENT includes BONUS CHAPTER, WALLPAPERS, CONCEPT ART, 15 MINI-GAMES (from the game and some of them look like good fun), MUSIC.

Nothing much in there for me. If I can resist, I will wait for the SE on this one.

I recommend this game!

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Jun 11, 13 6:36 PM
Ever notice how later reviews are generally more favorable to a game then the early ones? These are folks who spent more time and really learn what the game has to offer then those who make a quick judgement? Maybe. Anyway, bought the CE on sale and enjoying it.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 16, 13 1:01 PM
NiceZombie wrote:What a great cinematic game with an epic soundtrack and a story of good and evil, Heaven and Hell (and the Gates of the two are really cool locations, it was fun to see the Purgatory part of this game) Excellent graphics, especially in the beginning, some beautiful scenes there with the trees waving in the wind..

Quite a long game too, it took me a while to complete; the bonus chapter was good, fun and long too. Loved the interactive ''put stuff back'' HO scenes, my favorite; and the puzzles were fun to play.

I e
njoyed it.

Totally agree

Go to: