biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Reviews for Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by biomix on May 11, 13 10:28 AM
Very surprised to see that so many did not like this game.
As soon as it opened up I thought WOW!!! I love the graphics. They are so clear. I love that it plays a little slow. The music is perfect for the game. The '2' arrows don't bother me at all. I love having to collect the coins. That makes the game so much fun. They jump map is great if you need it. The easy puzzles so far is fine by me. Not pulling the hair out of my head. The ho's are interactive and clear. It's all good!!
I never buy CE's so I will wait for the SE but I really love this game and it's a definite buy for me!!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 11, 13 10:31 AM

This is an excellent game, not sure why there are some bad reviews. Full disclosure: I beta'd this game a while back.

Let me clear one thing up: There are NOT "two cursors." There is only one cursor. There are navigational arrows to help you navigate from one place to another. Many games have these.

The drawing is stunningly beautiful, if somewhat dark. As someone noted, the brightness is adjustable.

Yes, the coins can be a little difficult to find, especially if you are used to playing easy games. But they are bright gold in a dark game. And the map helps you to locate them if you get stuck.

As far as the gameplay, I did not experience any slowness on my 5 year old PC. Voice overs are well done. Game has the "feel" of the days of pirates.

MINOR CONS:
1. The opening scene is sort of scrollable, this is not readily apparent.
2. The name Van Der Decken has also been used in other games (at least one I can think of).
3. The wife Elizabeth is drawn without eyes, I suppose because she's a ghost, but it takes away from her character.

This is well worth the half price sale. Enjoy!

Five stars for Mercy of the Gallows

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 11, 13 10:52 AM
Another game bites the dust. Should have quit after 30 min but stuck it out. Dark and dreary and hints don't give you any clues. It was going around and around and then having to find coins that was just too much for me. It certainly wasn't an CE.. No buy here..

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on May 11, 13 12:17 PM
The game love story is intriguing and I want to know how it plays out. It's kind of an old school graphic type game with the same slowness. The double arrows are directional arrows as far as I could tell. I was playing the game and time ran out looking for six more coins for second box and was glad to hear there is an SG and a map for the coins (which I didn't see either) but I didn't check on the menu label.

Love/hate type of game - you'll either love this type of older play or not. Had there been a member's 50% sale I would have purchased the game today. Since there wasn't one I'll wait for a sale or the SE.

Found no occult items in an hour of play and the mini-games are challenging at times. Need directions on some.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on May 11, 13 1:04 PM
I agree with the (apparently) minority here. This game is a true beauty! Is it different from other games from our regular host of devs? Yes. Is it a complete breath of fresh air from some of the (regular) line-up of the devs who have given us some extremely stale, repetitive, and flat out-boring games lately (which is just bad mannERS, if you know what I mean...)? Absolutely.

Sure, the "slowness" of getting items into your inventory might irritate some but frankly I think I adds a sort of casualness to the game. Actually, the whole game as a sense of ease to it, which I find great. As for the loading issues or slow cursors, I have had NONE of those problems. My PC is going on 2 years, wasn't top of the line when I bought it, and it has run every single game from BFG without fail. So, I don't know what to tell those who say they have those problems...

People have complained that the game is too hard because it's not always easy to see things. Is it "too dark" in some areas? Maybe. But what is it you want? Items & objectives to be handed to you on a silver platter? Complain about the easiness of games, get a challenging game, still complain... I don't get it...

In my opinion, the coin collecting is a nice twist to the Hidden Object game. The map is jumpable, notes current objectives and which areas still have coins to find. Very nice. And frankly, the areas with coins left in it is NO different than games that highlight within their maps the "Beyond Objects" or Morphing objects that are left to find. So, what's the big deal?

The music is great. Varied & "period" for the game. The voice overs are some of the best I've heard in a long, long time. The graphics have a very detailed quality about them, and you even get to learn a bit about how people lived (especially how they treated pirates) via beautifully unrolled scrolls of paper that highlight a particular area once you've clicked on it.

All in all, I'm liking this one. For those on the fence to even download it, don't let the such negative reviews dissuade you. Try it for yourself. You may agree with those downvoted reviews, or you may find you actually enjoy the game despite them... Plus, at least it's not another "standard" & run-of-the-mill haunted abandoned asylum, creepy inherited mansion, missing grandfather/father/uncle, or experiments-gone-horribly-horribly-wrong game.

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 1:34:57 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 11, 13 1:43 PM
All in all, I'll probably end up buying this game. Not too bad and I'm desperae for a decent game to kill time. HOWEVER, Does BF actually think their members do not do math? The 50% off sale is for non-members. Members actually get a little less than 30% if you use the savings over the price.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on May 11, 13 1:55 PM
LOVE this game, best for me in months! Beautiful, clear, lifelike graphics, great voice overs, interesting storyline. Lots of ground to cover but navigation is easy, not as predictable as many of the new games. Super, great job developers!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 11, 13 2:09 PM
"Yoda" Games! May the force be with you! Say hello to Luke Skywalker for me. They are not new to those who think they are a new dev. We have had games from them before. And, for those of you who are having problems with playing this game, it is because they are on the cutting edge of game technology and your computer may not be able to handle the newer technology. Absolutey LOVE this game, devs! The graphics are crisp. The puzzles are not terribly hard. My only complaint is that I like them a little more challenging, but this game should appeal to the general players on this site. I am also surprised by the negative comments. Are you serious? We have definitely had worse games on this site and to me, much worse than this one. Go figure. I like the newest feature (which available on action games) which is the ability to slide your cursor and change the scenery. I have not seen this on any other game on this site as yet. Yes, it is a little darker than other games, but to me, it is definitely worth the half off sale price. Ghosts, ghosts, ghosts! I now have two ghostly games to play with one from another dev.

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 2:11:32 PM PST

sondown
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sondown on May 11, 13 5:30 PM
I read reviews this am and played - decided to buy and quite glad I did. Had 2 game credits but prefered to pay the 9.99. This game was oddly interesting - the setting is realistic, yet our players appear cartoonish in pictures. Regardless, it was a decent length for the main game - maybe 3+ hours - will play the bonus tomorrow. I did like the story - I figured Isabella was probably a pirate early on. Her husband 'hated' pirates and treated them horribly, yet they married. B/C of her sympathy for her fellow pirates she got sick and died leaving her husband a wimp. If she had just put her foot down, they may have lived happily ever after. Instead and despite her history, Cap William tortured the pirates when he should have been sensitive. He made his bed - If I were Isabella I would not want to be reunited in death - I'd want him in Davy Jones' locker with syphilis!
I know there were bad reviews from some of my fellow gamers, but for me, it made for a fun afternoon and I look forward to finishing the bonus game tomorrow. Now I would like to add this: If you are addicted to these games, but money is tight, do not buy this - wait for the SE. Walk away: clean your house, walk your dog, etc. You will be fine!

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on May 11, 13 5:47 PM
Tundei wrote:LOVE this game, best for me in months! Beautiful, clear, lifelike graphics, great voice overs, interesting storyline. Lots of ground to cover but navigation is easy, not as predictable as many of the new games. Super, great job developers!

I totally agree. Beautiful game and fun!
Audrey

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on May 11, 13 10:16 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game!

I did not have the issue with dual arrows, as I played the Mac version and we do not have a custom cursor. Which I actually liked! I felt it added to the difficulty level of the game, especially when looking for coins, the cursor never changed to a grabbing hand . Plus, without that second directional arrow I would have been a lot more frustrated with trying to move about with just a tiny arrow for a cursor. I also did not seem to have the lag time between scenes, although I thought it did take a little too long to add items to inventory or to put instructions for puzzles up on the screen.
I cannot understand the complaints about the graphics, I thought they were beautiful! The settings were absolutely stunning! Which amused me since the character drawings were very cartoonish. I was particularly impressed with all the little details. And one quality which I particularly like – when you click on an object in a scene, even if you can’t use it, the game makes a comment about it. I prefer that, it makes me feel like I’m on a tour. Also, I found it very interesting, if you look at the concept art in the “Extras”, (Possible SPOILER: that the Captain’s home, and some of the items in it, was based on an actual location!)
The voice acting was superb for once.
Playing on “Normal” mode, the main game took just over 3 hours and the bonus game took just under an hour and a half, giving almost 5 hours of game play for me, which is about average for CEs.
There was puzzle to HOS ratio. Not too many HOS to irritate me, but just when I was thinking “A good HOS might be nice right about now” there it was!
I was very appreciative of the interactive/jump map, which showed you not only where you were, what locations still had active sections but also if there were still any coins to find in a scene.
I never used the “Hint” button so can’t comment on that (no, not even on the coins!) And about those coins, I simply did not have the same level of frustration with finding the coins. Yes, some of them were very difficult and on more than one occasion I found myself clicking all over just trying to find that last one! But it truly didn’t bother me, it just felt like another level of challenge. I was able to find all of the coins (even without the “Hint”) with the help of the chest – it told me whether I had completed all of the coins in a scene...

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on May 11, 13 10:19 PM
...or not. As soon as I arrived in a scene I would do the coin hunt first, saving the other game play for last!
The bonus game, while fun, had my least favorite attribute – the completely worthless “green slime”. I have no idea why they included that, it added nothing to your knowledge nor did it assist you in any way – except that you had to “reveal” it in some places to be able to progress in the game. Again – worthless.
The story was intriguing up to a point, but once you figured out the “mystery”, which occurs well before the end of the game, it lost a bit of its appeal.
The “move backward” mechanic was far too easily triggered when searching the lower portions of a scene. I found myself accidentally backing out of a scene on multiple occasions!

All in all, I feel very comfortable with recommending this game - especially with the sale! Happy Mother's Day all you mommies out there!

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 10:20:21 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 12, 13 5:25 AM
Another great CE, interactive map, easy play through, coins to collect, fun mini puzzles, hint that show u where r the coins, its on the map as well, but mostly invisible.

great graphics, fill my 26" screen very well. Wonderful, BUY

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on May 12, 13 11:06 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game. The story had me from the start.

It is not a difficult game. The "Map" allows you to jump from spot-to-spot and indicates whether or not any action is available to be performed.

You have to collect "Gold Coins" in order to open "Chests". Most of the coins are not that difficult to find. When in doubt, check the Strategy Guide; they are all identified.
One thing that is nice, is that the "Gold Coins' Collection Chest" will not close until you have picked up all of the coins in specific areas. Also, coins "still to be gathered" are indicated on the map.

Give this game a chance, you might enjoy it also.

[Post New]by jfmorrissette on May 13, 13 7:54 AM
One of the best games after a long drought.

Beautiful visually, very creative in all respects and, finally a story that has allure.
Please give us more of this kind of quality, Big Fish.

Am tired of third rate games that are posted as CE's.
And especially tired of vampires, menacing crows, evil females and vapid story lines.

Have more respect for your members and you would not need to offer endless specials and sales that leave little to buy despite your enticements.

Wakame
Catfish
Catfish
1,584 Posts

[Post New]by Wakame on May 13, 13 10:47 AM
Well... I'm glad I tried, bought and finished this game before I looked at the reviews!

This is a lovely game, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

One of the best points for me was the gentle soothing Scottish lilt of the narrator. I could have listened to him all day.

The game play was unusual, which I considered a bonus. The puzzles were on the whole refreshingly different, and finding the coins was a real challenge ( the map was a great help in spotting where I had missed some).

The bonus chapter had a different feel to the main game; which made it more intriguing.

My only gripe would be the music - which was lovely and reflected the period setting - but at one stage ( upstairs in the castle) two 'tracks' seemed to be playing simultaneously ( one instrumental, the other a female voice) and the resulting sound was rather grating. I adjusted the music to nothing after that, so I don't know if that was just a temporary glitch.

On the whole though, a most enjoyable game ( especially at half price).

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on May 13, 13 3:48 PM
I absolutely love, Love, LOVED this game!! The draw is for me was that it IS different than most of the tripe we've been offered here of late!

The story line was different, as was the game play.... Yes, it was a slower pace than what we are used to, but that is not a bad thing, nor is it a good reason to not recommend this game. I thoroughly enjoyed finding the coins and found that task to be more fun than finding morphing objects. I really liked that the Jump Map (LOVE a jump map!!) showed where coins were located. I made it a game within a game to find all the coins in a scene, check the map to see if I got them all, then re-search if I didn't. After I found them all, I then played the scene. For me, it was great fun!!

I did have a glitch, which I posted in the technical difficulties forum, but I resolved my issue with an uninstall and reinstall. A little irritating, but I was so willing to do it as I enjoyed the game so much.

I look forward to MORE games from this developer and hope they don't change a thing!!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 13, 13 8:27 PM
I like it so far. Good story, good graphics, good game play. The CE is only $6.99 and it's extra punch Monday. So it's a buy for me, and I get 4 punches.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on May 13, 13 8:40 PM
I guess I am also in the minority. This is a wonderful game. Beautiful graphics that at times just blew me away with the clarity and lovely rooms and other scenes. The game is fun with lots of puzzles and the challenge of finding needed coins and plenty of hog games. I really don't want to have to wait until tomorrow to keep working on it to the finish, but dinner is calling! Seriously try it you might like it!!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on May 13, 13 10:47 PM
This was a really great game. Lots of puzzles and hogs. Nothing real hard and had a strategy guide attached. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The game did be.gin working a little slow half way into it, so I just rebooted and everything was okay. the bonus game was fun also. Good luck

Go to: