Re:Reviews for Chronicles of Vida: The Story of the Missing Princess

[Post New]by heatherington on May 21, 13 3:35 PM
This is no buy for me. I noticed that they put "turn voices off" in the options. Gee wonder why they did that. The hidden object scenes were very difficult to see the items. I had to use the hint multiple times, which is a good thing they filled quickly. Didn't like it, they fancied it up too much. If they had left it alone and done it like all the other games we are use to I might have bought it. But they went too far in the realms of poetic license, which normally there is nothing wrong with except when it comes to a hidden object adventure game. Don't mess with those. We've been playing these games too long to put up with too much change.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on May 21, 13 3:48 PM
This game is just what it says an HO game.............

BAD POINTS

1 sluggish between scenes
2 very small items in HO's
3 need to find the sweet spot for the items
4 when you lighten the scenes gets blurry.........

OTHERWISE I WOULD OF BOUGHT THE GAME..............CAUSE LOTS OF HO'S THATS WHAT HO'S SHOULD BE ADVENTURE SHOULD BE ADVENTURE................ BUT CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE..........

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on May 21, 13 4:00 PM
I really thought I was going to like this game, but alas, it turned out to be just annoying. When will the devs realize that repetitive sounds (howling, owls hooting, etc.) are just plain aggravating. I had to turn off the sound, it was driving me nuts. The entire H0 scene was accompanied by those awful noises. And the blurry graphics! I don't think eyestrain is fun at all. I really thought the were-ferret was cute, but he can't carry the rest of the game, it's just bad.

elijah5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,225 Posts

[Post New]by elijah5 on May 21, 13 5:37 PM
Well, even though I have downloaded the game to play the demo, guess I will remove and not even bother playing after reading reviews and tech thread. I will just wait a couple of more days for Dark Parables 5.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 21, 13 7:24 PM
I bought the game. I've been playing on and off all day and I'm quite entertained by it. There is a lot of dialogue - I like that.

The graphics are quite good in my opinion. I have a new computer with a lot of RAM so the pauses between scenes are minimal. There is a very nice jump map with tasks listed for scenes.

I'm enjoying this game and it seems as though it will be quite long.

Thanks, devs and BFG for this fun SE.

Edited on 05/21/2013 at 7:25:23 PM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on May 21, 13 8:07 PM
This game should have been great, but wasn't.

The HO scenes are blurry and have odd sections of very bright or full shadow. I tried a couple of display settings but nothing really helped. And there are tons of them. Way to many for my taste.

Then there's the background noises. The hooting or whatever it was in the beginning scenes just about drove me bonkers. A short drive...but still.

The ferret is cute but he never shuts up. Plus I couldn't seem to click through much of his dialogue. So I'd have to wait for him to finish before I could click whatever he was talking about. If you are going to have a chatterbox in the game, make his dialogue clickable so people like me can zip past. I can read a whole lot faster than he talks and waiting around for him to finish had me grinding my teeth. (Somewhere, my dentist is cringing and doesn't know why!)

I only found a couple of simple puzzles before giving up on the game so I don't know if they get better as the game progresses.

I did like having achievements to get but they were pretty basic and I knew I'd get them all just by normally playing the game.

I also liked having the extra stars to find for hints. Until I realized you can only hold 1 at a time. Since I never use hints, what good does this do me? If I could have at least collected them and then received an achievement for doing so (and for not using them) that would have added to the challenge of the game.

I also didn't like how many hints Mr. Chattypants gave me in his dialogue. I play on hard mode all the time and I don't want any clues unless I specifically ask for them.

On paper, this game has it all. Cute companion, lots to do, extra stars to find for hints, achievements - it's got it all. But it's only good on paper. In reality, it's a definite No Buy for me.

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on May 21, 13 9:12 PM
17” laptop running Win 8, 36 bit, 5.46 GB RAM. Played in Easy mode, using the custom cursor.

Warning: changes to the Gauss apply to your whole computer, and don’t revert back when you exit.

I found the ending completely confusing. Is it a happy ending or a “to be continued”?

In the demo, it seemed like there were way too many HOS, but that improved vastly. They also got easier for me as I got used to their style.

I found the HOS pretty good – challenging without “cheating.” Yes, there were a few objects that were hard to click on, but the point of the custom cursor was always on the object somewhere. I used the hint a lot (and am grateful that it reloaded so quickly), but always found that the objects were quite obvious. In other words, If I hadn't been so impatient, I would have found them eventually.

The objects were pretty much the right size, not changed to impossible sizes to make hiding them easier. Plus the greater majority of them fit in with the Victorian period. There weren't any cell phones or motorcycles, etc.

No click penalty; no timer.

I didn’t find the dialogue as bad as some; I enjoyed the accents. And the dialogue boxes can be clicked through except the ones across the top of the screen. But I could do the next thing while they were going on. I did wish I could click through the cutscenes. Sometimes clicking worked like a "skip" button.

There were a couple of minor translation problems. Most were easy to figure out, but one was still in the original language (spoiler): “Cezve” turns out to be a kind of coffeepot.

I like the music. (I don’t always. I often just mute my sound, and play Bach or something on my radio.)

I thought the graphics were great. The background artwork was gorgous. It wasn’t truly animated – but I greatly prefer picture-by-picture GIFs to the rubbery people & oddly moving animation produced by cheap CGI.

Though it's annoying to super advanced players, I found the sparkles good. I don’t have to hover my cursor around every pixel in the scene to find the active areas. And if I left something I needed behind, the sparkles stayed on until I found it.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on May 21, 13 10:37 PM
saphhire wrote:This game is just what it says an HO game.............

BAD POINTS

1 sluggish between scenes
2 very small items in HO's
3 need to find the sweet spot for the items
4 when you lighten the scenes gets blurry.........

OTHERWISE I WOULD OF BOUGHT THE GAME..............CAUSE LOTS OF HO'S THATS WHAT HO'S SHOULD BE ADVENTURE SHOULD BE ADVENTURE................ BUT CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE..........

When you say hidden object games should just be hidden object scenes, not adventure and adventure lovers should stick with adventure games. I know this arguement has been talked over before, but again I will say it. I personally don't like the large file adventure games like Nancy Drew or Syberia and love adventure/lite games (which are listed under hidden object games) that are either all adventure/lite or heavy on the adventure and light on the hidden objects or fun interactive hidden object scenes and reverse hidden object scenes, etc. I am certainly not opposed to there being this type of game or others that are mostly hidden objects scenes for those who love this type, but not sure why some are opposed to there being the type I love best. Hopefully they can make games to please all of our tastes.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on May 22, 13 5:07 AM
I did the demo and quite enjoyed the game. I am planning on getting it with a pcc. I didn't experience any lag time or black screens at all. The HOS sort of had a dreamy quality to them. It made it a little blurry, but I didn't mind them. A few reviewers mentioned background sounds. Were there any? I didn't notice any sounds. I must of totally tuned them out.

The banter between Vida and the were-ferret sort of reminded me of another game (one I just played last month) where Brunhilda and Demon also bantered back and forth.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on May 22, 13 6:39 PM
Wow what a turkey.....very annoying voice, graphics and reminds me of something I would have bought 10 years ago. Not a buy for me. I really can't stand games that you can't lock in the inventory

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 22, 13 8:42 PM
Great Graphics, good storyline, talkative, cutesy ferret. Female heroine (since I am also female, I like).

Cursor is a bit insensitive when switching from inventory to scenery, can be hair tearing, its either my graphics card is somewhat old or maybe I shld try using system cursor instead of game cursor, not sure whether others had same issues?

Very talkative ferret, can be a bit irriating, but he does offer great help in informing u whats need to be done. Wonderful map with interactive ability to jump to areas that require tasks to be completed and hint is not a direct pt system, it showed a map with the stuff that is needed for that area. Took a while to get used to, coz the items showed on the map are kinda of small and odd shapes, rather I would prefer also text mode (for older eyes) of items required.

I dont know why, but even the 1st puzzle that involves turning the rings, I thought I had that right, somehow it wasnt and I could not figure out whats wrong. I tried like 3x and gave up at the end. Anyone any suggestions or any experience rgds this mini puzzle issue. I skipped this ring puzzle

BUY

tyyllls
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tyyllls on May 26, 13 9:37 AM
I am really liking this game- lots of HOS- some of the hidden objects are difficult to see, but not impossible- makes the hidden object scenes challenging. I love that you can hover over an item in your inventory with the map pulled up and it will glow on the map where you use it! The dialogue amuses me- gives humor to the game. Easy mode does have lots of sparkles, but I switched to easy after I got stuck a couple of times. This game has it's challenges tho- not super easy by any means, even with the sparkles. There are achievements also. There are lots of negative reviews, but I say give it a good tryout- it's becoming one of my favorites!!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 26, 13 5:42 PM

For me, this game set a new record.

Thirty (30) seconds. That's how long I played. Then it was Exit, Uninstall, Done.

Couldn't take it after the ferret (and I like ferrets) spoke. The game screamed "eight year old" which I am not.

Sorry, not for me.

xsupvr14
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by xsupvr14 on Jun 3, 13 10:27 PM
I loved this game. I had gotten so tired of the "dark themes" that so many of the games nowadays seem to have. The banter between Vida and the ferret was really entertaining to me. It did seem to be a bit sluggish between scenes but it was tolerable. Maybe a few less HOS might have been a bit better, but all in all I feel it was well worth my time and money. I loved the accents on the voiceovers.

[Post New]by WoundedFaerie on Jun 14, 13 10:17 PM
I'm with all of the above negative comments about this game , but what I found most annoying was that cucoo sound all through the demo. After a few minutes I muted it and was still frustrated with the blurry graphics in the HO games I stopped with more than 30 minutes left to the demo.

peach23
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by peach23 on Jul 2, 13 9:34 PM
I found the game to be very slow loading, whether traveling from one area to another, or going in/out of the HOScenes. Also, when collecting hidden objects, clicking had to be VERY, VERY precise. As in, while trying to pick up a Roman Numeral 12 (XII), I clicked BETWEEN the letters - right on top of the item, but between the letters, and the game would NOT pick it up until I clicked exactly on top of one of the letters. I had similar problems picking up small items like safety pins - you had to click on the large head end of the pin, or it didn't work.

Luckily, the hints were endlessly helpful. However, the ferret was rather annoying, and as some other people said, the chit-chat back and forth seemed excessive.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 7, 13 8:15 PM
This could have been a good game, but a lousy hint system and dark HOGs with blurry graphics put the kibosh on it. The helper? character is a cute ferret who does nothing except talk with the protagonist and slow down the game. Definitely a big disappointment to me. As always, a game with a free sample should be tried for yourself.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 3, 13 4:30 AM
I just finished the whole game and give it a very positive review. It makes you think and since one of the achievements is not using hints, I didn't, but did peek in the game forums for help when I was stuck.

I grew very fond of Vida & Black. I wouldn't mind going on another adventure with them both.

sunshine

Go to: