ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Dimensions: City of Ash Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Jun 1, 13 5:17 PM
I Beta Tested this game and it seems to be almost a year ago. I am sure it was not that long, but the waiting for it made it seem longer. I really enjoyed the test. I haven't played it yet, but I will buy it. I have all the other CE in this series, so it is a no brainer for this little fish.
I hope all that do buy it will enjoy it.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jun 1, 13 5:42 PM
I purchased the other Dark Dimension games and really enjoyed them. This one? Not even close. Played this one on the hardest level and was done with the demo in just under 20 minutes. The gameplay is "laggy", the puzzles seemed to have been designed for a kindergartener they are so easy, the graphics are blah to blurry, and the voice overs are standard. The HO's were a mix of standard 'find 'n click' and interactive. Nothing about this game was even remotely challenging. Did I mention that I played the demo for only 20 minutes before it ended? Simpler than simple...

The story line was mildly interesting. Sorta reminded me of the first Silent Hill movie, what with all the smoke, fire, & ash all around. But an interesting storyline doesn't and can't make up for mediocre & boring gameplay...

Very disappointing considering the other games in the series.

out of

Edited on 06/01/2013 at 5:51:52 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 2, 13 5:17 AM
The intergrated strategy guide is supposed to be there, but I just dont see it. Interactive map is there and HOS is puzzle (interactive style), great graphics, good storyline. CE is always worth the while to purchase, but some BFG members are saying cookie cutter, its begining to feel that way too!

But its still relatively easy HOS as well as puzzles, I skipped the volcano mini puzzles, just couldnt get it right and couldnt find the strategy guide, maybe its somewhere. SOMEONE PLS tell me where is ze guide?

I like interactive map also had like icons to indicate tasks and a diary to help u remember things as well.

LOVE IT!

findlaybears
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by findlaybears on Jun 2, 13 5:38 AM
lym_1609, the guide is located in the upper left side of the screen-pretty much at the very top. I think it just says GUIDE in a red box?.

ruadhan
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Jun 3, 13 6:04 AM
Pleasantly surprised by this one; I had played the previous two Dark Dimensions games but didn't think I would be particularly intrigued by this. I have just finished the demo and I'm going to buy the game.

I like the artwork; the voiceovers and music are unobtrusive, and paced fast enough that you're not left waiting for the slow. reading. of. the. text. to. finish until the game continues. Nothing extravagantly different from the usual HOG type, but the inclusion of an interactive map (so you can click and return to the scene without having to backtrack manually) is a nice touch. Also, the graphics are bright enough and the objects are large enough that you won't strain your eyes trying to find tiny clues in a shadowy, dark background.

I can't speak as to what extras are included or if they're worth it, but I would recommend this game for beginners to intermediate level players (advanced or those wanting a challenge might find it too easy).

Though I have to say, the plot reminds me irresistibly of this quote from "The Lord of the Rings":

'The Dwarves tell no tale; but even as mithril was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction: they delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled, Durin's Bane."

:-)

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jun 3, 13 7:31 AM
I was really looking forward to this one. When I saw that less than a week after its release, it wasn't in the top 10 downloads, I thought something might be amiss with this one. Dark Dimensions City of Fog is a favorite of mine, and I have replayed it a couple of times. This one, I think misses the mark. I do like having a good map, and 3 levels of difficulty from which to choose. Collectables are always a plus too. But it doesn't grab me enough to get the CE. You never know what a game is going to be like when games are in a series. some get better, others you wish they'd just give it a rest. Dark Dimensions seems to be headed for the "give it a rest" pile. I'll retrial when the SE comes out, and maybe purchase on a Monday, if the good people at Big Fish continue the bonus punch Monday deals. Enjoy!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 7, 13 2:45 PM
I beta tested this game, too, and loved it then and am loving it now. I love my home state, and had the distinct privilege of living here in the 1950's (yeah, I'm old!). We were one of those "Sunday drive" families and I'm having no trouble imaging stumbling on a great town like this one back then. I've already set my screensaver for the game, and am settling down to explore the town and it's inhabitants.
This is a great game, and well worth the cost of a CE. Especially for us old-timers!

I just finished the game, and it was a tad short, but I still loved it. The graphics were perfect, and there was just the right amount of spookiness.

But I have one question for the developers. Why, oh why. is there a lighthouse in a mountain town?

Edited on 06/08/2013 at 2:03:44 PM PST

kpacoma
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by kpacoma on Jun 10, 13 6:36 AM
I think it's some joke!!!! How can this game be CE? How can this game be in TOP 10? It's some big mistake!!!! The game so bad, boring and stupid! I can't believe my eyes when I played in game! This is the worst series of games DD

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 16, 13 2:04 AM
I'm not sure... I have to think on this one. I love that they used an actor for the girl. But there are a lot of careless mistakes and annoying contrivances to create game play where really none exists... turns what should be fun game play into busy work to keep the player occupied.

This could be a spoiler but it's pretty mild and happens in the first few minutes... For example... you need a screwdriver but the graphic is of a flat head and the screws are Phillips. So why couldn't they be bothered to make them match? Now granted you COULD in real life make a flat head work on Phillips but it's hard and if the screwdriver is larger than the screws it won't work... and even if it's smaller it's hard. So assuming they intended it to be that way (and I don't think they did, I actually think it was laziness on their part) but giving them the benefit of the doubt then WHY exactly did we need to find a hammer to smash a window... a hammer we got through a long convoluted process that began with finding a large board that could have smashed the exact same window probably just as easily as the hammer?!?! And really much easier than using a flat head screwdriver in a Phillips screw head.

See devs... gamers are SMART and we notice things. We want our games to be logical and we want to figure things out but we don't want to take ten steps to do something that could have been accomplished in two steps. We want creativity and originality in our games... we want to think and become engrossed in the story...

Also... for options... don't tie no click penalties to sparkles... some of us would like to explore on our own and yet we also don't want to be punished for clicking (it's a game... we are supposed to click!) so let us customize our difficulty choices.

Anyway... probably a no sale for me... maybe as a freebie coupon some day if I run out of other games to play.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 17, 13 2:43 PM
SO...glad I didn't miss this gem, I guess I am an odd ball, because I really enjoyed, playing this one .
BF had a BOGO sale, so I purchased this CE, along with Linden Shades: Off the Record, and LOVED them both !!
And I was totally surprised by how much I did enjoy the game play, the H0 scenes,
were VERY interactive, and well done, LOVED them, and there are NEVER to many for me, I am a H0G lover .
I enjoyed the puzzles as well, which was a surprise also, because I am not good with hard puzzles, so these were perfect IMHO .
I thought the flow of the game was also just right, and the story kept me engaged, wanting to know what was going to happen next .
But what I really liked was the scenery, the graphics and artwork, I thought was beautiful, the way the ashes, leaves etc were falling down, and how the lantern lit up, when you moused over it, these special little touches throughout the game, were nice.
Making the potion was a little tricky, but I finally got it ..lol.
The bonus game was FUN also, while I felt the game could have been longer, that is the only negative, I had with it.
I didn't expect to see so many negative comments on this one, so you owe it to yourself, to try it out, you might be surprised like I was, and TOTALLY enjoy a FUN adventure City of Ash is one I will replay, that is how much I enjoyed it .

Now I am going to see if there are any games I missed by these developers .
I am a fan of these games, job well done developers .

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 17, 13 11:51 PM
I nearly finished the game - quit when I was nearly done with the bonus game, because I just couldn't bare all those puzzles and HOS anymore.

If the graphics don't improve, I won't be buying another "Dark Dimensions" game. I never cared much for the graphics in this particular series, but since there are now so many games on offer that have crystal clear and clean graphics, I find them even worse than before.

Also, I am not a puzzle-type of person, and this game is shock-full with them - most of which I skipped. I kept stumbling over them around every corner; and HOS are also plentyful.

Story was OK, but I got really tired of the constant appearance of the black cloud or whatever it was. And those repetitive strange background noises were just too much.

Anyway, I got this game in this weekend's BOGOF, so I am not too upset that I didn't even want to finish the bonus game. Just need to breathe some fresh air after this claustrophobic game, and start on "Living Legends".

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 30, 13 10:40 AM
I was rather disappointed at how short it was. I bought it based on reviews and it didn't last very long after that and that was including the bonus.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jun 30, 13 7:53 PM
I played the 2 other Dark Dimensions games and liked them so I had to get this one too. The story isn't complete without the extra chapter in the CE. Unlike other reviewers here I found the artwork fine, the music good and available for download once the bonus content is unlocked. I must be frank, I liked the 2nd game in this series City of Wax to be much more creepy and entertaining. I didn't have a problem with the length, it took me a week to play it. What I had the most problem with is that the story line left too many unanswered questions. I didn't understand what this fire ghost was supposed to be and what the issue about the mine was. I hope they do more of these Dark Dimension games, but I hope they have a better story next time.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 10, 13 8:50 PM
Should have saved my money. Not a bad game but definitely not CE worthy. Should have waited for the SE and used a coupon

Edited on 07/10/2013 at 8:50:40 PM PST

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Oct 27, 13 6:49 AM
I thought I was going to enjoy the game but now wish I could give it back! The map was too tiny for my old eyes. I had to hoover over the rooms to see the green exclamation mark of where to go, but that was not the real let down. The real disappointment is that at the end of the bonus game I was not able to go back and redo puzzles and HOs. The bonus game did not unlock anything, it was just more of the same story line. I always buy CEs for the bonus features and the strategy guide in case I get stuck. Had I known that I would not be able to replay the puzzles, I would not have purchased the game at all. I really feel cheated. Also, I was not aware I had to gather the golden horses, but that is ok because I can just replay the game. Problem is that I will not replay this game again. This seemed like a quickie CE with no extra features and I don't like that. Is there any way to know before I purchase the game that there are no bonus features? I really feel tricked when I get a game with no bonus features.

[Post New]by MadMadRian on Mar 18, 14 3:12 AM
What an ABSOLUTE RIP-OFF for anyone who bought only the standard edition. Those missed half the game'??!! And the second half was far from quality gaming, the second half was confusing, a difficult story to follow and only possible to complete by using the map function to see what puzzles to complete next. Truly this game was designed to entice players to buy the exorbitantly priced collector's edition, and when purchased THAT version of the game was a blaring disappointment. BFG you should be ashamed to charge such a price for this game. Its quality is far beneath most of the CEs you promote and sell.

Shocked and disappointed,
madmadrian

Go to: