cujo126
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

Re:Reviews for Detective Agency 3: Ghost Painting

[Post New]by cujo126 on Jun 3, 13 3:57 PM
I have read a lot of negative reviews of this game but I liked it..i didn't think it was dark at all and the play was smooth..that being said it was short I have already finished it..but got it for a pcc..so was worth that price and got 2 Monday punches to boot..

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Jun 3, 13 4:56 PM
cujo126 wrote:I have read a lot of negative reviews of this game but I liked it..i didn't think it was dark at all and the play was smooth..that being said it was short I have already finished it..but got it for a pcc..so was worth that price and got 2 Monday punches to boot..

For the price of a PCC it was worth it. Although the game is short by todays standards, it was worth the credit. Probably wouldn't by at full price or 2.99.

That said I did enjoy the game.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 4, 13 2:49 AM
I love this game, great graphics, puzzle HOS, and lots of area to explore. But without interactive map and walkthrough its tough. I skipped the pipe mini game as well as the mini game with using magnets to raise the balls, No matter what I tried I just couldnt get any balls to move at all. Perhaps there was a specific sequence??

Its just as good with the 2 series. Hints recharged decently.

Can someone pls tell me how to solve the mini game with the magnets?

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 4, 13 3:23 PM
this game is NOT up to PAR............ , so we will pass on this one and not play it, .......................doug & lisa..................

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Jun 5, 13 9:07 AM
I didn't have any problems with the game being too dark--it was quite clear. What wasn't "clear" was what I was supposed to do with the objects. Just the stove required several hint hits. Its hard to figure out what they want you to do. No go for me.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jun 5, 13 10:02 PM
Still have 39 minutes left to play but am already bored. It filled my 22 inch widescreen, but just so bad - dark, a hodgepodge of styles from cartoonish to realistic. The ghost kid makes me nuts. Boring. And the sound is so bad - I never have to turn mine up, this one is horrible! Well, I am not interested in this one. Sorry.

CelticCoco

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Jun 11, 13 9:21 PM
Shriek! Way too convoluted for my taste. Gave me a headache. I am a true HOG devotee but not this one!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jun 13, 13 1:08 PM
I just finished this game and enjoyed it. I agree it was quite dark but I didn't have any problems with the HOG's. They showed up nicely for me. I enjoyed going into the paintings and fixing things. The hint system was very helpful and recharged quickly. The downside was very sparce instructions for mini-games. I too gave up on the magnets. The game didn't make sense. The columns didn't have the same number of balls as the pattern and I couldn't figure out how to get them into other columns. The magnets were also hard to place. I don't think I passed on any of the other mini games.

The story didn't make a lot of sense and it had a cliffhanger ending. It seemed they were trying to incorperate Phantasmat with the game where we had to fix the paintings. I can't remember the name. This was subpar to both of those games.

All in all I liked it and am glad I used a free game credit on it.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 23, 13 9:50 AM
Well, almost lost another credit. I used it on this game at the last minute. Glad I did. Not really a bad game. Worth looking at for yourself.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 27, 13 12:40 PM

I agree with those who gave positive reviews for this game and don't understand the complaints, especially on the main reviews: this is a good little game and technically speaking, for me at least, it filled my wide screen monitor completely and the graphics were clear and realistic. The atmosphere was appropriately spooky and not overly dramatic... a nice change from the same ole same ole busily embellished graphics and scenes so common now in almost every casual game that comes along.

Overall, a nice little detective mystery and pleasantly eerie diversion for a rainy afternoon or dark of night.

I will definitely purchase this adventure(ish)-heavy game (ie. it requires you to "work" a little to figure out the game scenarios as the mystery evolves.

Thanks !

eta: I suspect a few of the 'newer' games may have copied the format of some aspects of the game and not vice-versa.

Edited on 06/27/2013 at 12:43:54 PM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 4, 14 4:20 AM
So frustrating

Well...it was better than the first one, which I played before playing this to get a feel for changes and improvements. (What happened to DA2 by the way?)Have discovered it now, via Community as it didn't turn up on Search

Graphics are certainly better and it feels more up-to-date, there is a decent story line but, a couple of times I saw pick-ups but, when I selected the first one, the window closed. Thereafter the hint kept sending me back to the lantern near the gate, but no action to perform.

Just found I was going in circles and became very frustrated so will not be getting this daily deal :-((

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 4, 14 1:14 PM
Agree with the negative reviews & don't understand where any of the positive reviews came from.

Poorly drawn graphics that look like they were drawn by a, not very good, 1st yr art student. Definitely NOT up to date but more on the cartoonish side.

Story drags along, ever so s l o w l y, with way too much needless back & forth.

Music is awful & repeats & repeats ad nauseum.

No voice overs & a lot of dialogue. The sparkly journal becomes annoying VERY quickly. Also, BF & devs need to do better quality control when using so much dialogue. The grammar & HO translation is just plain awful.

HO & mini games are the usual variety though the mini games could have used better instructions.
All in all I can't think of one redeeming factor for this game except for the ability to hit the DELETE button!!!

Go to: