mheil
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Manor: A Hidden Object Mystery - iOS

[Post New]by mheil on Aug 23, 13 8:05 PM
I've played it for almost 15 minutes and probably won't be playing it again. I am playing it on a PC with a 17-inch screen. I had such a problem identifying the objects as they were just too small even at this size. I have no idea as to the purpose. It was to be a hidden object game, and it seems to be just like Farmville. Not my idea of a good time, but thanks for the opportunity to try it.

[Post New]by liliaapolline on Aug 24, 13 1:09 PM
Totally agree, actually also rather boring, don't call these "free games" when you have to purchase silver/gold to play on. Dreadful stuck it out for 20 minutes then deleted the thing.

Kimhaz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Kimhaz on Aug 25, 13 6:45 AM
I received my invite only yesterday, downloaded it, played for about an hour but am now about to delete it. I wanted to like the game; I really did but games shouldn't be this much hard work. A challenging game is what I want - this is something totally different.

Why make the scenes so dark that it becomes almost impossible to find the hidden objects before the multiplier returns to x1, even when you plan your 'route' ahead of clicking?

Why would I want to replay the same scenes/HO puzzles over and over again, simply to prevent me having to spend my hard earned real cash?

And, please, BFG, do you take us for fools when calling the game free? You know it is almost impossible to progress without paying real money. The game, therefore, is anything but free! I'm not a fan of 'Farmville' or any other 'build your own...' games, so I'm disappointed that Dark Manor was sold to me as a HOG.(I'd call it more of a greedy PIG, actually, snuffling for truffles, i.e. my money.) I wouldn't have downloaded it, had I known beforehand.

daphnegirl
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by daphnegirl on Aug 25, 13 5:07 PM
Hiyo,

First of all let me say that I'm really enjoying many aspects of this game -- I really dig the "doing up" of my manor grounds! Plus I think the game is very beautiful; I have no problems seeing anything in the HO scenes, and it's really cool how much you can zoom in on all the details of the nifty things you purchase for your grounds (I'm on an iPad). And I really dig the cleverness of many of the animations. (hello, Tesla coil!) and I think the HO scenes are beautifully rendered.

However, I do have some complaints/suggestions.

I would have to agree that I was unpleasantly surprised when I bought a piece of land (the one with the conservatory building thingie) for ~$135k silver only to see the other one (with the circus) which had been the same price, suddenly increase to $520k! Similar increases happened for "regular" plots of land ($33k, then $66k, now $120k).

Now, I have to admit to being new to this kind of game, so maybe that's how things happen; if so, well, there it is. And I wasn't around for the big gold vs silver valuation change but I must admit it sounds a little skeevy.

That said, I am actually playing the game in a fairly enjoyable manner WITHOUT spending actual cash-money, though there are periods where I need to wait quite a while to build up energy or for things to appear. But that's fine with me because it prods me to get on with my real life! And the delayed gratification kind of makes things more fun; anticipation and all that.

I'd like it if it were easier to add Game Center friends more easily, and also if there was a way to delete friends who seem to be inactive or whose mansions are simply uninteresting to me. Or maybe a way to rearrange one's friends so that those you interact with most are at the top? And I'd like some way to keep track of who's sent me gifts; I have to keep a list of "owes" elsewhere since I only have a few available to gift back.

And as for the decorations of the grounds, it would be really nice if all of the items had at least some kind of "nighttime" element to them -- currently there are some things that, when placed, look fine in the sunshine but at night just look like a missing tooth. I don't mean that everything has to shine out like a shaft of gold in the darkness, but a little limning of the edges of trees, for example, with a little ectoplasm would be lovely!

Daphnegirl@Ambrosia

Edited on 08/25/2013 at 5:13:32 PM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,933 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Aug 27, 13 12:44 AM
Items are so small. and some scenes are very dark. This game is not my cup of tea. Not only that I was afraid to go anywhere because I don't want to buy gold or anything else. Seriously why don't you all get us some quality games we can use our punch card credits on? Good luck BFG but I think this game is a real dud.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Aug 27, 13 2:59 AM
Free???? I don't know why these are called free to play when they are anything but! I don't like this game at all, don't like the graphics and I find it too confusing....don't know why these free to play games even exist, they are horrible....wouldn't pay 2 cents on this or any other one....big mistake to create these games, imo.....

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,542 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Manor: A Hidden Object Mystery

[Post New]by govols2 on Aug 27, 13 7:15 AM
Review for pc

Just played a few minutes on this game. Reminds me a bit of the Grim Reaper free to play game.

You play a room or section several times. Each section you complete takes some of your energy . You complete tasks. When tasks are completed you can earn money or energy . Game money is used to buy upgrades for the manor. Each upgrade takes some time to build. You can use real money to speed that up but it is not necessary. After each upgrade is completed you earn juju which increases your ranking and energy. I did not find the objects too small. Some were a little hard to see because they blended a bit but not any harder than other HOG scenes in games on pc.

You can connect with FB to add friends but again it is not necessary. Although it may be one of the tasks later on. I am not sure if there is another way to add friends or not. I believe there must be a way to add them since according to other comments you must be online to play this game. This game is not listed in their online section however.

As with other free to play games this is not something you play in one sitting . You play for a little bit at a time and wait for energy to increase before playing again.

I wish there was voiceovers but there is not.The music is barely heard and there is very little sound at all.

For those that enjoyed Grim Reaper and Found I would suggest giving it a try. It is free if you want it to be. Pay attention to any popups and you won't be charged real money unless you agree to it.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
416 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 27, 13 7:59 PM
its quite a delightful game, full of stuff to buy, decorate to your hearts content, etc. Cursor movement can be a bit clumsy, but great graphics, cant shift the paths (bummer).

Not for me though, I dont like this sort of social networking thingy games
But its free, so those who enjoy good for u!

[Post New]by Sp4rrow on Aug 31, 13 10:49 AM
I am done with this game. It's a shame, because I was really enjoying it, but it is just too expensive to play. At my level, to expand my grounds, is 1,400 gold ... That's $150 bucks! Really?? Do you SERIOUSLY expect me to pay that?!

No thanks. I'll go back to playing games that don't deplete my bank account faster than the government.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 2, 13 11:44 AM
When you said it was I thought it was free but as you get into it you need to use a credit card buy these items free. So I will pass on this since there is no ending & the money mounts quickly. I will stick the regular games of HO.

Not Pleased At ALL - you are just in for the money!!!!!!

PTBT
Catfish
Catfish
1,601 Posts

[Post New]by PTBT on Sep 2, 13 3:44 PM
So sorry to see that some of you are not enjoying the game. There are a number of us who have been playing the game for a few months now and really enjoy it. I have a manor on both my iPad and my laptop, so have both versions. The iOS version on the iPad is more fun to play because the PC version needs you to use a mouse. I have found that the mouse is much less responsive than a touchscreen.

As far as purchasing, the only thing you can purchase with real money is gold, the silver is earned through playing the game and many of the items can be bought using that silver. You also can earn gold by playing every day - on the 5th day you get a bar of gold - spinning after completing a scene, and earning the achievements listed when you click on the skull icon. So in reality you don't HAVE to use real money, it just takes longer!

MtnLady
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by MtnLady on Sep 5, 13 6:18 AM
For some reason I can't change my manor's name I won't erase the original name, it just will start with the blinking cursor, then all I can add is maybe 3 letters then cuts off. Why can't I erase the original name, then type in a name I like please?

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 6, 13 6:29 PM
My review consists of two (2) words - What tha?????

feenix

[Post New]by Creepycrawler on Sep 6, 13 9:39 PM
Love this game. I have two credits but am tired of the same old games and have not used my credits yet. I like the FB aspect too. Please make more like this one!!! Also love, love MCF games!

PTBT
Catfish
Catfish
1,601 Posts

[Post New]by PTBT on Sep 7, 13 8:48 AM
@MtnLady, the manor name is 26 characters long. You need to backspace to erase the old name and then type in your new name.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 12, 13 8:44 PM
i "played" this for about 10 minutes and it took me a further 10 minutes to figure out how to exit the "game" most definitely not for me!!!!!

pcpat923
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

A VETERAN GAMER'S REVIEW ON GAME ISSUES

[Post New]by pcpat923 on Sep 17, 13 12:58 PM
Gifting limits are very poor for a game this size and with so many BFG and FB members. There is no incentive that I can see and entails a lot of writing as I was jotting down who gifted me in order to reciprocate. Remember, gamers are typically detail oriented and not being able to gift in return is extremely frustrating no matter how you try and gloss over the issue.

Since writing became too tedious and time-consuming and the game is supposed to be fun, I changed my strategy that when a player sends me a gift, I do not accept unless I can gift in return. I am now reading that this strategy may negatively affect the gift-giver's ability to send more gifts? What to do?

With so many neighbors, I am now writing more each day to reciprocate fairly--only NINE each 24 hours. I am determined to be fair to those who gift to me even if that means I won't be receiving more and more gifts! Simply refuse to have the attitude of whatever and will only play the game when I can fairly return gifts.

I just don't understand this policy. BFG is known for their generosity and yet, when it comes to Dark Manor, the generosity is no where to be found. Have been playing since day one when released and still only have NINE allowable gifts?!?!

Also, a few directions would have been great at the onset of the game. When I purchased something with gold and saw the message "summon for gold", I hit the summon button thinking the gold would be coming in---not going out. Otherwise, would have never hit the summon button.

I am a veteran gamer and can't shake the feeling that some of these "ooops" are purposefully done to enrich somebody. Players certainly do not benefit from making mistakes. Also, game has frozen at times when I clicked to play a HO scene and, of course, the 15 points were lost. Cannot do a lot of playing with 50 points anyhow so to lose 15 is huge.

I played the game and initially purchased gold to show my support for BFG as they have been good to me with free game coupons and sales. However, I earn these special perks by making purchases and spending good, hard-earned money.

This game could have been great, however, Developers have placed too many restrictions and, thus, inhibit any real growth. Seriously, HO gamers would be screaming if newly released BFG games had the same dark screens and the same tiny hard-to-find objects that are presented in Dark Manor's gameplay. Not everyone has youthful eyes even with a magnifier!

[Post New]by Photocrazy on Sep 18, 13 7:52 PM
In windows you can zoom in then grab and drag the screen around, you can then see the small stuff. You have to zoom out to see some items.

I won't be continuing as I am not going to pay real money to buy pictures of stuff to put on a picture of a yard, it amazes me how many people waste money to do so.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Sep 29, 13 6:22 AM
Roxnsilver wrote:The graphics are stunning and game play was great for a few days, then it seems that expanding land becomes exponentially more expensive and game rewards are not compensated the same. I did not receive the 50 gold coins that others have claimed today, silver and experience seem to disappear or not rewarded, and the only way to get enough silver to build on my property to proceed with HO puzzles was to invite my FB friends to join. I have read that this is in Beta stages yet but this seems to be another free game that is going to break my wallet to play. I hope this is not going to be the direction that Big Fish is going with its HO games, I have been a loyal fan but playing "Found" has taught me not to get hooked on this game type, I prefer to know what it is going to cost me upfront to play with some sort of regularity and have fun.

For you and others who hope that Big Fish is NOT going to be going this "Free-To-Play" (FTP) way with its HO games from now on, my suggestion is this: Don't download them at all... or if you do download and play them, don't spent a penny of real money on them! The more real money they get from you on these FTP games, the more BFG is encouraged to release additional games of that kind. If no money comes in from the FTP's, we'd quickly see them disappear.

Just a thought....

Classicaljazz

[Post New]by NurseKarla on Oct 2, 13 10:45 AM
I have enjoyed this game since it was first made available. The upgrades of 10/1 are INCREDIBLE! Thank you SO much for the new Social options. Seriously... it's like you thought of everything that could make this awesome game even better!

Go to: