Re:Reviews for Off the Record: Linden Shades Collector's Edition

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jun 8, 13 12:20 PM
Great game...yummy long, collectables coming out your ears, HOG-yes, but pleasantly so.
I think this developer group should be pretty proud of themselves..
graphic- all over the place, one shot grainey, one shot crsytal clear, one shot 3Dish, you never knew..and I think the blending of different styles keeps the interest up. Think a museum..you can only look at so many Monet and your eyes cross..need some Rembrant in there to waken your senses up. Well, this game did the same. I never knew what the heck was coming next.
I think the red cloaked dude was done with humor. No snakes destroying the world,, no soul sucking out monsters..just playing on childrens fears..which we all still have.

(honestly..arent there certain dark corners in your house that you avoid at night?)

What this game did not have..happily, was glitches. Thank God !Well, thank Eipix!
What is also fun is watching the developers muck around making their creation..

So, Ill let others be more specific about what the game has and doesnt have...this one is major worth an hour of your time. It took up my whole afternoon. Love it.
kris

debzzzzy
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by debzzzzy on Jun 8, 13 12:23 PM
oasis53 wrote:OK guys..who decided this was a CE game??? LOLOLOL..what a joke

Hi Fishies

Ss all but I totally agree with you oasis.

In my mind it was very amateurish .

Played 20 mins and that was enough. Shame really could have been a good game as I did like the story line.

Did not flow and far to many HOS. Definitely not CE material. Just wondered is this a new developer?

Just my opinion.

Deb

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jun 8, 13 12:44 PM
A very strange storyline, but I did enjoy the game. I never found the strategy guide but never needed it since the hints tell you exactly what to do and where to go. I wouldn't buy the CE....never use the "extras" so I will put it on my SE list for future purchase.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 8, 13 2:25 PM
Hmm, not too sure about this one. Graphics aren't bad, but nothing special, and a bit old school (the red guy looks like a kids drawing of a red ghost). Game play is nice. Music was very annoying and not at all helpful to the story line or scenery, so had to turn it way down. HOGs are fairly clean and items are very easy to find. Didn't care for the placement or the set up of the SG, very plain and very cryptic. Hint is helpful and fills quickly.

There are a lot of achievements in this one and a lot of items to find (not sure what they do for you, but you find them anyway). This game is quite simple and there is no challenge at all. It is a nice game for a beginner, or someone who just needs to spend a credit or lose it. I do not see that this game is CE worthy at all. Not sure I would even spend a credit for it either. This one just did nothing for me and I had no desire to buy it to see what happens.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jun 8, 13 2:35 PM
The story begins as your editor asks you to do him a favor and follow up on one of his old assignments. He requests that you investigate old reports of a bloody-red boogeyman who was terrorizing children at the Linden Shades Orphanage. You return to the now abandoned orphanage to see what you can dig up, and it is not too long before you begin to believe that something was indeed going on at Linden Shades. Can you find out what is behind the mystery of Linden Shades?

The game uses live actors for the cut scenes. The graphics are good and consist of a blend of hand drawn and computerized artwork. The soundtrack is okay but the “music” in the HOPs drove me nuts. There is a repetitive piano-key tune that is extremely annoying and creates the impression a timer in the HOPs, even though they are untimed. Eventually, I had to turn the music off to save my sanity. In fact many of the sound effects were just over the top annoying, like the tractor in the barn that would not turn off.

Your diary is located on the bottom left of your screen where you see the typewriter. Inside the diary is your strategy guide. Your interactive map is on the lower right next to the inkwell that serves as your hint button. As I progressed through the game I was irritated that the typewriter and inkwell areas took up so much space and intruded into the gameplay area. Many times I accidentally clicked on them because they were in the way.

The interactive hidden object scenes are referred to as HOPs in the game since they all include some minor puzzle action. You will find a lot of HOPs in the game but they are well done and the items are not too difficult to find. The puzzles are a lot of fun and probably the best thing about the game (aside from the interesting storyline). The puzzles are not too difficult and some are easy but I really enjoyed the “mechanics.”

During the game you need to find bonus items: 12 letters, 16 toys, and 37 crayons. Many times I found them by accident when I was looking for other items so it was a surprise when the dialog box would pop up and let me know I found 1 of something. There are also 20 achievements to be earned, so if you like achievements – here you go.

Other extras include replay of HOPs and puzzles. Bonus HOPs are also included along with the bonus game. Aside from those we have the standard extras that I never bother with such as artwork, and music. IMHO, coupled with the achievements, bonus items, and the fact that I can replay the puzzles

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jun 8, 13 6:03 PM
I am not writing review this time - everything I would say has been said in much better way. Sometimes you come up with a loser but Live & Learn!

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Calicohorse on Jun 8, 13 7:15 PM
Hi Everybody,
The details have been well reported by Shorenuf, et al. It's a good game, but not great, voiceovers on the tapes are really good and I like the 3 sets of collectibles to gather, there's lots to do as others have mentioned, the music or SFX is not distracting. The only downsides for me are the artwork (I prefer the more arty, steampunky atmospheric style) and its being far too easy. I wouldn't say it was developed with kids in mind, 'cause it is a bit spooky for kid-kids, just really unchallenging. Although some of the games were fun, they were not difficult and it's a bit heavy on the HOS for my taste. It's a no-buy for me, which is fine. There have been a lot of good games to buy recently; I've never had so many in my game manager before! Cheers,

Edited on 06/08/2013 at 7:16:19 PM PST

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jun 8, 13 8:51 PM
This had a rather old feel to it. Dated graphics. Not terrible, just OK. Positives, at least for me, are good voiceovers, 3 levels of difficulty that can be changed during the game, and a lockable inventory. HOP scenes were not difficult, although the print could have been a bit larger. Puzzles were very easy, but Lordy, Lordy, please spare me any more "spot the differences" for 5 year olds. As always, to this who like it, enjoy!

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 8, 13 11:34 PM
Having now finished the game, I can truthfully stand by my initial review. I was entertained, the HOs were even pleasant short diversions, the puzzles were all doable (except I really don't know exactly how I solved the one with 3 paint cans; maybe when I've had some sleep I will replay it from the bonus puzzles ), I liked the quirky artwork -- all told, it was fun!

The core game has a definitive ending. The bonus game is a new story about the orphanage. For those who like achievements, the do not follow into the bonus chapter, so the SE would suffice. Then again, for another 2 bucks…

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 9, 13 7:27 AM
WOW WOW WOW! This is out of the world good. The graphics is cinematic class and good storyline and easy to mid difficult (But I didnt skip any mini puzzles )

I dont see a strategy guide, but hint will pt u to that map location quite neat, interactive map too! I played in casual/easy mode and hints recharged quickly. Easy HOS too, interactive items within HOS

LOVE LOVE LOVE

[Post New]by KowboyKrazi on Jun 9, 13 4:22 PM
This game was a great lazy Sunday afternoon game. Didn't hurt my head yet was entertaining and in my humble opinion, quite clever in some scenes/areas. Will definitely play again cause................don't forget the crayons like I did!!!

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jun 10, 13 2:16 PM
just finished the demo for this game and i am on the fence. will only buy the CE with a BOGOF sale... otherwise, will wait for the SE and use a pcc.

i played on "insane" mode" and used the hint once fairly early in the game to see how long the refill is since it doesn't say in the description of that mode... it's so slow that it was only about 3/4 refilled by the time the demo ended! so, i'm guessing that you get only 2-3 hints in the whole game on "insane". it's kinda like taking the hint button away completely, but not quite! you can, however, change modes in the middle of the game, so that's helpful if you get stuck.

can't comment on the map or SG as i didn't use either of them.

i found the story interesting, liked the use of live actors at the beginning and also liked the cassette tapes with more of the story.

the graphics were a strange mix of hand-drawn and almost-photo. the almost-photo seemed flat in comparison to the hand-drawn.

i got very tired of the same music for every HOS i came across. had to turn it down during the HOS and then turn it back up for the tapes. and, i refuse to call them HOPs since there really wasn't much puzzling about them. but they were simple enough and there was one per scene as far as i played, with no repeats so far... so that's a plus.

i enjoyed the puzzles, for the most part. they weren't that difficult but were interesting.

one major peeve:
on "insane" mode, in the "spot the differences" mosaic puzzle on the garage door... i was down to the last "difference" and as i looked for it.... it HIGHLIGHTED IT! it GAVE me the answer! i could not believe my eyes, so before i clicked it, i watched.... and it was not my imagination or eyes playing tricks on me... it was TELLING me the answer!
NOT COOL, devs! the hint button takes 45 minutes to refill... and then you give me the answer to a puzzle?? yup, that's insane, but the wrong kind of insane.

one other peeve: you do NOT use a wet towel to remove a hot light bulb! if the water's cold enough, the bulb will shatter... or, if you have to hold the bulb too long before climbing down off the table, you'll burn your hand! that's why we don't soak down our potholders before picking up a blazing hot cast iron skillet!
DRY TOWEL, devs!

anyway, peeves aside, this wasn't a bad game for the genre, but i'll wait for a better sale or for the SE.

JMHO. try it for yourself to see if you like it!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 10, 13 7:41 PM
game finished, and we were completed let down by this game. Definitely nothing to be considered a CE. The graphics are not to up to date . The scenes are dark and they look like scenes from some projects. There are a ton of HOG scenes in this game. So, to us, all the HOG scenes made the game boring. The music is NOT that good. SO DO NOT play with music on. we think it lacks the quality of a CE. we rate it a 2 .5 out of 5 stars.----------------------doug & lisa.....................................

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jun 11, 13 12:04 PM
Based on completed game and yes there will be spoilers****
Basically everyone else did a complete outline of the game, but wanted to state that there are definitely 3 collectibles: crayons, letters, and toys. Imagine that trying to find toys in an abandoned orphanage. ANYWAY, the initial scene that sets everything up, so you are suppose to get some sort of feel for the game, such as setting, time, theme, etc. really set it up for failure and I'll tell you why. When you start messing around with kids, whether its just scaring them, abducting them, or whatever, then you've hit the bottom as far as I'm concerned. The only thing the description of this game said was that the kids were drawing bloody red ghosts. I suppose that should have been a clue right there, but it's just wrong. There are so many other really great games out there without having to put children in it. I realize it's just a game, but did you save the children? NO! Look at Ricky he's grown and all these kids are also. So what did you really accomplish? OH yea, found a gold mine to reopen an orphanage that was haunted by thieves. Good Grief. I write stuff better than that.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 13, 13 6:58 AM
we were not that impressed with the game, . we will give the game a 2.5 out of 5 . so always try the demo before you buy.-----------doug & lisa----------------------------

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 16, 13 2:46 PM
Could be a good game... love the cut scenes and live acting.

But since Big Fish says the reviews are forwarded to the devs....

Dear Devs,

Here is why I am NOT buying your game:

Difficulty levels... let ME customize my style of play. I do not want sparkles or active areas to be indicated. I want to click around, explore and find them on my own. I do, however, want them to be indicated on the map when I click on it. You don't allow that, it's all or nothing with you. I also want fast hint/skip refills, better yet, NO refill time at all. I may not use them at all and then reach a spot where I need a couple hints in a row. Don't force me to sit bored starting at the screen waiting. Let me click hints when I want. (For the expert choices what's the difference anyway? If someone doesn't want a hint, don't click it. Simple as that.)

Extra content... Once I pay you for the game these items are MINE. Don't force me to finish the game first because once I'm done I don't care anymore. I want to set wallpaper, listen to music, look at artwork WHILE I PLAY. Total immersion. And worse don't force me to finish the "bonus" game first! What if I don't want to finish it? What if I don't like the bonus game? Then I have paid for nothing. ALSO... let us at least have a peek of what is included instead of the big obnoxious locks. It's like what if you walked into Target and the sales guy said "Nope you can't even LOOK at the clothes before you buy them let alone try them on. It's red and a size 7 that's all you need to know." Ridiculous right?! Well that is EXACTLY what you are doing by locking them in the demo. Remember the demo is your sales pitch to me... make it good so I WANT to give you my hard earned money.

Graphics... the cut scenes are great... the other graphics a little sloppy. I'd prefer higher quality. And what is with the total black NOTHINGNESS that is between while things load?! That's sloppy. I almost thought the game had crashed and turned it off... a couple more seconds and I would have which is a lost sale for you. Optimize your graphics for faster loading or at least give me a loading screen so I know it's working.

So it's your choice... you can say "It's OUR game and we'll program it any way we please so deal with it"... and eventually you'll go out of business. Or you can recognize that I am your customer and if you want my money you'll need to give me reasons to give it to you...

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 16, 13 2:52 PM
Cont: ran out of room

One more thing... do NOT NOT NOT give me a screen saying "for best experience play with sound"... I know that. And it's my choice. If I want to play with sound (and I do) then I will... but I don't want an "in your face" screen telling me to play with sound. That has to be one of the most annoying things I've seen in a game so far.

It looks like a good game... but due to the above if I play it will be when I get it for a $2.99 sale or with a freebie code. And the premise and live acting means it would have been almost a sure sale for me. When you turn off someone who is already programmed and in the mode to buy then you are clearly doing something wrong.

ETA: You know what? I think I figured out what is off about this game... it's like two different games pasted together!! There's the cut scenes, acting, jump map etc... which are all wonderful. Then it's like they took that and pasted it onto a dated old graphics style game from a few years back. That's totally the feel I get.

Edited on 06/17/2013 at 10:25:48 PM PST

cirig
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cirig on Jun 17, 13 12:53 AM
I really liked a few things about this game: The ability to jump quickly between locations using the map, the map itself, the graphics (I'm surprised so many people thought they were just OK or not very good) and the little extras like the cassette tapes and the achievements. Unfortunately, the game also has some major problems (at least for me): It's not at all as scary as it seemed it would be, the ending is just plain wimpy and the bonus game has nothing going for it. If you want it, I'd recommend you buy the SE on sale, the CE just isn't worth it.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 18, 13 11:45 AM
I never even tried the demo of this, until BF had the BOGO sale, this will teach me never to judge a book by it's cover, the game was totally different, from what I expected, going by the name of the game .
Before doing the demo I read, JustTheFacts, review of the game, and it was so well done, It got me excited to try it, with all of the collectables and lots of H0 scenes, and achivements, I already knew I was going to enjoy this one .

My favorite part was collecting the crayons, letter's and toys, at the end I was missing 2 toys, and 6 crayons, and 1 letter, so the next time I replay this, I'll be sure to have my eye's peeled to the screen .
This game was VERY different, which I liked, you never knew what scene or person, would show up next ...the characters were done well IMHO, even if they were a bit odd ..lol.
What I didn't understand is why the game said, play with the sound on, that same piano melody, REALLY got on my last nerve, and I usually never complain about sound effects, or music...Shhhesh that has to go .
Besides that negative, I did enjoy the rest of the game, loved all of the interactive H0 scenes, and I liked how the games main page was set up, with the ladybug..to cute .
For paying nothing for this game, buy 1 get 1, I really got a lot of FUN and entertainment, playing this one, corny hillbilly's and all .
I also ENJOYED the credits, so glad there was a pause button, getting to learn about the developers and their team, IMHO was VERY interesting !
First time I've ever seen that, so thanks developers, the only thing I would change is the music loop, other than that , great job (^ ..cheers .

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jun 22, 13 1:41 AM
Eipix Games, I will remember this developer's name.

Really fun game with nice graphics, beautiful rooms, good story that starts off paranormal but not everything is as it seems... live action movies, great bonus chapter.

Also fun and very diverse minigames/puzzles, and interactive HOS.

Lots of collectables throughout the game like crayons, which were the hardest to find, and toys and letters; good achievements (managed to get them all in one playthrough!)

Enjoyed the making-of video, looks like fun working with you guys!

Go to: