Reviews for Viking Saga

NZBloke
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

Re:Reviews for Viking Saga

[Post New]by NZBloke on Jun 14, 13 5:38 AM
I agree about the commentary. Annoying. I don't need someone to tell me to start a level when I go to start a level.

nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Jun 14, 13 1:54 PM
Sorry, usually love games from this developer; however, for me it's "No No No!" Very cute and welcome concept; however, why give levels to accomplish when the main need is food and there's only 2 berry bushes?????? Nope, that doesn't work for me, sorry. Was really hoping this would be a refreshing change, and if it weren't for the lack of food resources, it would be a buy.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Jun 15, 13 3:00 AM
When I first started to play this game, was not sure I'd buy it because of the intensely irritating voices - they are just way too much. Also wasn't sure I liked the feature of constantly having to click on buildings to be fed, etc. - "not enough silver!".

But then I hit level 20. What a great Christmasy level! I am buying the game for that level alone. Love it.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jun 15, 13 1:54 PM
I'm not sure how to respond to much earlier review but would like to suggest to Koffie that she or he please give this game another try. I felt the same way when I first started playing but hung in there and figured there must be other ways to get the rare food and wood and realized they could be bought with the rent from houses if you already purchased these commodities. Now it is soooo fast and I am having a ball with this crazy game. I used to avoid time management games because they make me nervous but find myself getting through them. I am not sure which level I am now on but just about to leave the snowy areas and go into the mountains. I guess that is why they call them strategy games because you have to think them out before you act. Not one of my best qualities. I started out just clicking the two food sources over and over slowly and getting nowhere until I started to think about it. However if you really still hate TM games, A really fun game and long one too, is
The Promised Land, in my opinion. I have played that one many times and it is never quite the same because of the order of things each time. Just enjoy whatever type you play!

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Jun 16, 13 7:20 AM
nance91947 wrote:Sorry, usually love games from this developer; however, for me it's "No No No!" Very cute and welcome concept; however, why give levels to accomplish when the main need is food and there's only 2 berry bushes?????? Nope, that doesn't work for me, sorry. Was really hoping this would be a refreshing change, and if it weren't for the lack of food resources, it would be a buy.

There ARE other avenues to get food. Click on the middle tab and build a farm or a windmill. Hope you read this and decide to try again using other food resources that are available.

mom68
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by mom68 on Jun 16, 13 7:45 PM
I've played this game through 1 1/2 times now, and just cannot bring myself to like it. The game doesn't flow logically. I despise when there is snow blocking the view, or when night time blocks the view of the screen. I like the first section, where the view is mostly clear, but when I reach the icy section of the game, I just fall out of love fast with the story and the game play required. I'm a die hard TM fan, and have bought almost all of the TM games on BFG for years now...but this one just frustrates me.

And when I got to the level where I had to gather the sheep???? Forget about it! I almost contacted BFG to ask for my money back. [I didn't BTW]

Maybe one afternoon when I'm particularly pepped on caffeine, I'll take another stab at the game. I will forever skip the sheep gathering level, as there is no point in gathering sheep only to have the game repeatedly break the fences holding them.

I love TM games. I have a few I repeatedly go to again and again for enjoyment. And each game has it's own learning curve, which is part of the fun. But where is it fun to roam in blinding darkness or in a snow storm, or catch manic sheep? And the final level just took a ton of time and materials.

And the voices??? Goodness...whoever came up with the concept of having a whiny voice repeat itself over and over should be fired. Voices should only be heard when a user is clicking on something in error, and at the beginning and ending of the levels.

With a little planning TM games rule. When they are slapped together like this developer put this one together, then games such as these will receive these types of reviews. I like this developer as well. I have and do love many of their games. However, this game maker now makes me weary of purchasing their games before I fully vet them.

Thanks again to BFG for being the great game provider they are, and happy gaming Fishes!

IsisRising
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by IsisRising on Jun 16, 13 10:59 PM
[b]I am really enjoying this game!The characters are cute and the story lines are entertaining.Especially the Christmas theme.For a novice like me having an untimed game is good.You can play it timed if you wish.The sounds are funny and the music is good although repetitive.I strongly recommend it for everyone.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 17, 13 12:25 AM
Some of the levels are impossible to achieve gold. After playing them numerous times and looking at the videos, I've given up.

curlly62
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by curlly62 on Jun 18, 13 2:46 PM
I am really enjoying this game...have gotten to the levels with all the snow and it is very frustrating, trying to keep the fires lit so the houses keep producing silver. Taking me forever to get through this level. Could really use a walkthrough. Any idea when there might be one available??

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Jun 20, 13 6:54 PM
SPOILER ALERT -

The sheep level can be accomplished without having any earthquakes happen -

Demolish the wood bench and build a house - collect lots of gold (no sheep). Collect lots of food (about 150 units). Update Viking hut to have 4 workers. Then demolish the house and build the wood bench - collect wood (about 100 units). Make sure pens are secure. THEN start luring the sheep - I only used the left and right bowls, not the one in the middle. Was able to lure all necessary sheep, and had a great time!

Happy Gaming!

DanieJo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by DanieJo on Jun 21, 13 6:53 AM
I love this game! And I knew I would when I saw it was developed by ****. So much fun - if you love strategy/time management games such as Roads of Rome, etc. Very entertaining and well done. More, please!

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jun 21, 13 8:27 AM
Loving this game! Still in the middle of playing... and having so much fun! Thank you!!

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Jun 22, 13 1:17 PM
I have always enjoyed the viking saga games but this one is so darn slow it gets boring and annoying. I am quite disapointed in it and why do we need all the money when you cannot do anything with it,also food sources are super slow and not enough of them.
I agree that the voice over gets on your nerves after a while but I turned the sound of which does take away from the game somewhat.

It just seems they are churning these games out as fast as they can go and then wonder why we do not buy them.

Come on big fish I love your site but think a bit before sending out these games.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jun 22, 13 11:09 PM
I did the Beta test of this for the developer and while I liked the game well enough, it had problems then and has problems now. It does seem like they tried to make some of the changes that were suggested but there are still things I don't like.

One they fixed was the loading times between levels. On the Beta it took forever for levels to load and now it's a lot shorter.

I did mention the annoying voice but apparently the developer thought it was necessary. Personally I'm not crazy about being told repeatedly what to do but maybe some people like an audio cue that they need money or food or whatever.

IMO this game doesn't offer anything more than many of the other similar games already on the market. You gather resources, build things, upgrade a bunch and then complete silly tasks. Nothing new here.

I didn't mind having to click the farms and sawmills, etc to get resources and I love that you can chain tasks. I liked how fast moving the game felt and that you get a choice of bonuses early on in the game. There's lots to do and this one does seem clickier than some others but at least it's not boring.

One thing I didn't like in the Beta, that still appears to be in the game, is that time seems to keep counting down while you are chatting to people. This is unfair, IMO.

On the whole, it's not a bad game. It just doesn't stand out from the crowd. I'll probably buy it, but definitely not at full price.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Jun 23, 13 10:38 AM
Thanks to the reviews and some of the hints. I went back and checked the game. Found I was missing the instructions at the beginning for some reason so I deleted it and downloaded it again. Not sure if it was my server the first time that made it skip a couple of pages or what. Now i can play the game and it has become clear what all the money is for and how to obtain foods.
It has made the game so much easier and enjoyable. Still found the voice over irritating so turned sound of and have really taken of with it.

Thank you again for the tips and reviews I would have given up in frustration otherwise.

[Post New]by GameStudent on Jun 23, 13 5:37 PM
I can't believe that this game is not getting better reviews. I am loving it. I keep doing each level over until I have achieved gold but am struggling on the final Level 40. I'm getting close, so I'm going to keep trying. And when I do, I'm going right back and starting over. I loved Adelantado, Northern Tale and Island Tribe and to me, this one is right up there with those. I just can't get into the HOGs anymore - way too much of the same 'ol, same 'ol. These strategy games and great fun without being too taxing on my poor old brain.

[Post New]by igottapaydafish on Jun 30, 13 5:21 PM
This is exactly my type of game, BUT the voice over comments are close to being a deal breaker!! Very annoying. It is a good game but I just don't think this will be a buy for me.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jul 24, 13 8:28 PM
I bought the game a little over a month ago. Decided to review it because today I tried to pick it back up again & see where I had left off, try to jog my memory on what the game was like.

It took me to the last level of the game, which I will describe like this: I would say that based upon my expert level of playing TM games, the work/time/accomplishment requirements for that level were about 2 or even 3 times harder than anything that is realistic. It just .... it isn't.
I'm sure somebody out there can do it but the last level of the game is a bit ridiculously difficult to even get through.

I think some people - not everybody - would appreciate some challenge in their games. We definitely don't want goals to be too easy but when they get to be like, no way I need to turn this off & walk away from the computer!....that's a bit much.

OK but overall its a pretty decent game.

[Post New]by estrellaangela on Jul 26, 13 8:58 AM
I like this game,but when it getting to the darker parts,which might be a good part of game ,I cannot see anything.I am older and have eye problems.For me is not dark grey,it is realy black,in the middle of the game I have to give up.I am very sad about this.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Jul 28, 13 7:10 PM
This has been one of my favorites of the choices of TM games lately. Gives ROR a challenge! It isn't easy on many levels - had to replay several to get 3 stars. Agree that the sheep level was a killer - so frustrating!!! If you keep at it you will finish, but I only got 2 stars and am not sure I want to endure that again to try for more. Maybe another day. That's as far as I've gotten so far, but I really like this one!

Go to: