DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

Re:Untold History: Descendant of the Sun Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Jun 15, 13 7:54 AM
After playing the demo I didn't think this was a bad game. It did open up with bars but all I had to do was go into options and change the aspect ratio and problem solved easy enough. Graphics were not distorted in anyway in doing so on my monitor.
I liked that the ho scenes had more items in it making the search for items more challenging, but overall the demo was not challenging. I thought the voices and music were well done if your into oriental themed games. I have seen better graphics but I certainly would not consider the graphics in this game bad, just ok. Can't say much about the map as I don't use them and not sure this game really needs one from playing the demo. There were no morphing objects or collectibles from what I saw, but then again I don't find a use for those things so I wasn't looking...all I know is there was no dings or boxes popping up to distract the game and as long as that doesn't happen I don't care and a happy camper.
The only reason I will not be buying this game given the sale this weekend is I am not a big fan of oriental themed games. It's just a preference thing and most of the stories are just not to my liking. I hope others will at least try this game for themselves as ya never know, it just might be something you like.

~Demo downloaded and played smoothly without any problems~

Demo download/install time: 3 minutes
Browser: Explorer 10
PC-Window7/64
AMD Radeon HD 7570
Broadband internet
USA Customer (Indiana)

Edited on 06/15/2013 at 7:58:01 AM PST

sylmide
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sylmide on Jun 15, 13 7:55 AM
I too have just finished the demo, all twelve minutes of it. I did not get grabbed by anything about it. There were black bars on the side, but worse, it sat on top of the taskbar, couldn't even see the menu to get out so just clicked on the name on the taskbar. The writing in the SG was too small and it was too dark. Needless to say it is a no buy for me in either forms.I thought i would check the forum to see what others thought of it andd find that i have not got any of their games because the ones i tried i did not like, so at least i don't have to my already long list.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 15, 13 8:11 AM
anabel1566 wrote:What a disappointment this Saturday morning!!! I made it just about 30 minutes into the demo before boredom struck. The game appears very old. The graphics are terrible. Items are very small. The story is not at all gripping. Right from the get go, I knew this was not a buy for me : exiting to menu to view the strategy guide. And a hideous strategy guide to boot!!! It's like one big run on sentence. I feel that when you are paying "extra" for a game, you should get the "extras" that go with it. There are no extras here.

This game is definitely not CE worthy. I wouldn't even call it SE worthy. It's just not worthy at all.....I found it very boring and disappointing.

Everything you said. I totally agree with you. Definitely not CE worthy, or SE worthy. Very disappointing.

[Post New]by JirafaVanidosa on Jun 15, 13 8:17 AM
annita33 wrote:They are also the developers of Dark Hills of Cherai & The Dark Hills of Cherai: The Regal Scepter,

Thank you for the info Annita! I only played their game "Zodiac Prophecies: The Serpent Bearer" and liked it. Now I `m going to take a look at these games too.
As for today`s game, I like it and have bought it together with Frozen Beauty on the BOGOF sale.
Happy gaming all!

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 15, 13 8:26 AM
annita33 wrote:They are also the developers of Dark Hills of Cherai & The Dark Hills of Cherai: The Regal Scepter,

Really -- the first Dark Hills, at least when it was new, was an excellent SE -- innovative, play as 3 characters is what I best remember. The follow up was dismal in comparison. Seems their foray into HOPAs is going in the wrong direction. Especially jumping on the CE train with so little innovative game play content.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Jun 15, 13 9:14 AM
Terrible game. Just a note to the developers. You can not just add bonus game play and call a game a CE. We pay the higher price because we not only get the game sooner, but we get a quality game. Better luck next time.....

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Jun 15, 13 9:39 AM
sportygal2009 wrote:
I'll still have my seat on the minority bench however. I'm enjoying this game so far.

Move up there please and make room for me to join you on the minority bench. I am really enjoying this game, haven't had any of the problems people have mentioned with widescreen or with sound (the music is fabulous, I love it) and I am enjoying the storyline. I agree the Strategy Guide isn't the best I have ever seen (though it isn't the worst either) but I haven't had to use it yet so that hasn't bothered me, and I like the way the map allows me to jump straight to a particular location and also indicates locations where there are tasks to be completed.

This game makes a refreshing change from all the dark and gloomy offerings with constant heavy rain and thunder (I had to keep abandoning the latest 'Shiver' game after playing only about 10 or 15 minutes at a time, I couldn't take the constant bombardment for any longer than that) and the oriental setting is also a nice change from the usual American or European locations.

Edited on 06/15/2013 at 9:40:28 AM PST

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Jun 15, 13 10:47 AM
After playing long enough to get a feel for this game I found I like it. Don't understand why it has so many not liking it because it is not a bad game. The only question I had was what makes this a CE. For those who like knowing what others say about this game I think you should at least give the game a try. You might just find you do like it.

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jun 15, 13 12:48 PM
I did try clicking the aspect ratio to get full screen but that did not work. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

thanks

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jun 15, 13 6:07 PM
Is there any more room on the minority bench for me?? I am really liking this game, it is different and is a breath of fresh air, imo.. I love the hidden object scenes, sure, the font in the list is small, but I don't have an issue with it. I find the graphics colourful and clear and of course, I love oriental themes anyways. I am really quite surprised at some of the harsh comments, I guess it just goes to show how many different likes and dislikes there really are......Well, Developers, Kudos to you and a job well done! Thanks BFG, for bringing this little gem to the pond today! You can't please everyone

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 16, 13 1:02 AM
This dev also did A Gypsy's Tale: Tower of Secrets. I loved that one, and Dark Hills. Didn't know they also did Serpent Bearer - liked that one, too.

I'm joining y'all on the minority bench. As soon as I saw the bad reviews, I knew I had to try it. LOL, I'm just a contrarian, because my taste in games usually runs exactly opposite of everyone else's.

I really like this one! I think the graphics are fine, and I love the art. The characters are well drawn, and the voiceovers well done. AND I love the music. I like middle eastern and oriental music, so it's very nice for me.

I have not looked at either the map or strategy guide. Playing on hard mode. And I am NOT finding it all that easy. Not too many HOS, but they are well done, and not overly junky. There is a LOT to pick up, and you don't just use it right away. It is not totally linear. And there are a lot of things I need to find, and have not. The puzzles are not difficult, but were fun so far.

This is primarily an adventure game with HOS and puzzles. It hasn't been illogical so far. It has not got all the "bells and whistles" that most are looking for in a CE. And while I enjoy morphing objects, they don't make or break a game for me. I don't care about achievements, collectibles, or trophies. Meh. I'm glad there are no cute animals to dress and play with. Nor any "assistants" that never shut up.

The game has what I look for in a CE - bonus play. Period. Yeah, it probably would have done better as a SE, but it's fine as it is for me. And it's working fine. I've encountered several games that go square on a widescreen if you don't want the picture stretched. This one doesn't look bad full screen - some do. I'm running an old dual core AMD with XP SP3 on it, so the older or simpler games run great.

This is definitely a buy for me. (Gonna be an expensive weekend - another portal has Book of Unwritten Tales and the sequel Critter Chronicles on sale for $5.99 each. I have been waiting for BUT to go on sale for over a year, LOL.) With the BOGO, I will grab this one and Linden Shade, which I also liked better than most seemed to.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jun 16, 13 4:36 AM
I changed my mind. I finished the demo and was suprised that I like the game. It get better later in the game. I am glad that I bought the game.

[Post New]by ianbuttress on Jun 17, 13 10:24 AM
when it comes to open the bottle by drain ive seemed to have lost my hammer I picked up any ideas

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jun 25, 13 7:12 PM
I agree with most of the more experienced reviewers here and find this was a mildly interesting game. It's the last of my BOGO purchases and I wish I had played it first and gotten it over with. It had some truly beautiful graphics and landscapes - someone is a genius at winter skies - and the characters were colourful. The spoken and written dialogue was decent and for once I spotted NO mistakes, misspellings or grammatical horrors. The devs should get an award just for that.

The puzzles in the main game were fun and inventive and I completed almost all of them happily. I live for puzzles. The HOs were bearable and not too cluttered.

The bonus was mildly interesting but the puzzles were a slog. It took about an hour with several skips through puzzles that didn't have a reset button.

I guess in the end, the game is worth the BOGO price and kept me out of trouble for a few hours, and I'd recommend it only to those players who are crazy about puzzles and have unlimited time to spend on them.

[Post New]by leila777 on Jul 12, 13 9:25 PM
I absolutely love this game; I make jigsaws from the artwork in the best games, and this one has all kinds of gorgeous scenes, so that's many hours more from a game. The story is fantastic and really holds you, while the ambience is wonderful and immersive, my kind of game.

I'm not a puzzle person, and usually skip them or cheat automatically, so it's nice to hear the good things from puzzle fans too. The strategy guide doesn't hold your place for you when you leave the game, and no detailed puzzle guides, but skipping is easy. And great point about no grammatical errors, there seriously should be an award for that, it's so weird minimal literacy is missing from most, and fingernails on a chalkboard distracting.

Funny I'd recommend it highly for exactly the opposite reasons, puzzles are just in the way to me, besides visual ones. I'd love to see more like this, but usually am a contrarian too. I've hoped to see more away from Eurocentric locations forever too, although I love the few genuinely American ones that are good (note to developers, we're not that much like the British). Actually that's what I love about two of the games in the Shiver series, very Americana, after disappointments like Route66. I'm fussy, and have never finished/deleted some big sellers, but will replay favorites who knows how many times for years.

Edited on 07/12/2013 at 9:26:47 PM PST

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jul 13, 13 11:18 AM
leila777 wrote:

I've hoped to see more away from Eurocentric locations forever too, although I love the few genuinely American ones that are good (note to developers, we're not that much like the British).

Well said, leila777! As an entrenched and patriotic Canadian, I'd also like to see a game set here in remote and frozen Canuckistan - we're not that much like either the British OR the Americans!)

Maybe the largely Russian, Polish or Croatian game developers have never heard of Canada. It's certainly a puzzling place, appropriately enough!

Go to: