edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 21, 13 5:56 AM
far from to be my top 10!gardening:no,no,no!not any interest hereand some flowers are earned as achievments(no skip=one more flower,no hint= one more flower!ETC)
i found the story so basic!graphics beautiful ,music repetitive,some puzzles well done but easy,too easyall in one i found it boring and childish too much for me
i have played beta for next MCF,yyyeeeehhhh!that's a game!
i'm waiting from ERS the second adventure game,but this one is average

onetoomany
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by onetoomany on Jun 21, 13 7:17 AM
So far I like The Curse of Vox CE gamERS. Love the "watercolor" effect since the beginning. The music is OK, if you don't like it, turn it off. Not a fan of never ending series, unless each game is a story in itself. I can handle SG to a point since he's the sustaining character and each title is a slightly different story. Only prob is I was wondering what happened to the undertaker character in the previous title. I was left hanging and figured whatever he knew would show up in this game. So far, nada. If the undertaker isn't resolved by the end of this game, no more Haunted Legends for me. I'm tired of ERS' never ending stories/series. That is the only thing negative about ERS games for me. The mini games/puzzles are do-able! I don't have to pull out my hair in frustration...and enjoying every aspect of this game. The last time I looked at the end of a game (Final Cinderella CE), I didn't see any BFG member names showing a higher ranking than me in the 'Achievements Dept'. So who cares if I'm not an expert and don't get a Ph.D at the end?
Please remember not all gamers are experts.

Some people write generic "too easy/boring/etc". game and in a condescending way. There are a couple of ERS adventure games that were too difficult for me, that I couldn't even get 1/4 to 1/2 way through....Penumbra and Reality Show. But I didn't review the games as "boring" even though they were because I couldn't play them. I wrote they were more adventure, puzzles were difficult, opening scene very realistic. When a game doesn't meet your needs, you can still write a review without putting down the dev or me. Or don't write anything. The games you're seeking are Adventure. If ERS becomes too difficult like other games on BFG, I won't have any to play.
I'm always happy to see an easy ERS H0g or Blue Tea FROG release, because I can play a game and enjoy! Yay!

To ERS:
Keep doing what you're doing especially in the fairytale/fantasy world. I play your H0S, FROGS, IH0GS for RELAXING and escaping the real world occasionally, ....I am a 'fairytale person'. ERS and Blue Tea are just perfect the way they are: difficulty level, graphics, etc and never fail in that genre. I can't wait for "The Doves" release!

Edited on 06/21/2013 at 7:51:47 AM PST

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not Sure this is CE Quality

[Post New]by mrssharon on Jun 21, 13 8:21 AM
Not sure this game is CE worthy. I have played a number of the others in this series and felt they were hard enough to earn a better rating than this game. I usually average the rating and this would actually be a 3.5, if that were possible.
The puzzles here were rather easy, as were the HOS. Nothing too exciting, in my opinion.

The graphics were good (and the same as the rest of the games in this series). The music was just a little different and I felt it did enhance the mood of the game.

However, for me, in order to purchase a CE, I really want a game where I can use my brain and solve harder puzzles. I also don't need the garden, which I am assuming is an "extra". The demo ended before I could do anything with it, so it may prove to be a nice addition, just have no way of knowing....

Try for yourselves, as always

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Jun 21, 13 10:38 AM
I've finished the game, it's better than the average ERS game. Graphics is nice. Unfortunately both the endings in normal and bonus game are abrupt. I enjoyed the "gardening" game but wish there was more to it than just watering.

Even though there wasn't a pet, there were a number of cute animals to save and help. Pls keep this to a minimum!

The puzzles are definitely harder. I had to skip 2, one of which is rotating tiles (ugh I hate these but did try for a long time) to form a dragon picture. This is the first time I had to skip puzzles in a ERS game and games by other devs such as Elephant I didn't have to hit the skip button.

I know some people complain of easy puzzles, but ERS in case you're reading this, please make it slightly easier, I like to get the achievement for not using a hint or skip.

Lilac13
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by Lilac13 on Jun 21, 13 12:29 PM
Having bought and enjoyed Bronze Horseman and Queen of Spades as SE's, I splurged and bought Undertaker as CE last fall. I enjoyed it and thought it was worth the CE price. Despite couple negative comments about this CE, I bought it. Wish I hadn't! Some of the game instructions were confusing and the SG did not help which is why I paid extra for the CE to get help! The bonus game is extremely short, the "extra" of planting flowers is LAME and BORING, like watching paint dry. As much as I love ERS games, this was an extreme let down and I feel ripped off. Try it and see for yourself.
2.5-3 stars at most.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 21, 13 2:47 PM

I was disappointed with this game, owning some of the other Haunted Legends.

As others have noted, there is way too much of SG (every scene), although we do get his name. To make it worse, the voiceover for him was not too good either.

Gameplay was quite ordinary in the demo. No "wow" factor.

The whole gardening thing I had no interest in. I never tried to do anything with it, and there is no point to it. It might have made sense if it was somehow tied to the story but if it was, somehow I missed it.

My opinion, a dud, but try and see.

dlcoyte
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by dlcoyte on Jun 21, 13 5:08 PM
LOVe ERS games and Love the Haunted Legends series... THIS NOT! the flower thing didnt even know if you had to do it or it was just for fun... Was NOT fun... waste of time and took away from the game... Now if you had just Hidden flowers to find in scenes I would have liked that... Go back to the way ERS fans liked... I always know that your games you work a few locations and then dont go back but this game I felt lost and all over the place...

Have never seen like 10 things in inventory, too much when it goes off the screen and you have to arrow back and forth and last but not least.....

Did Not Care for the Rings and using them so many times... Once would have been fun.. Possibly twice but it was too many times... Loved Queen of Spades.. had played that 4-5 times... This may not even finish... Not liking the setup At all... Sorry... Youre starting to lose me as a fan... I used to buy your games without even demoing because they were so good. Not they are ify.....

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 21, 13 9:58 PM
Hmmph...puzzle HOS, like first you find something, then interact with something else to get a 2nd pc of the hos item, etc, FUN FUN FUN

Great 3d rendering graphics, easy to play mini puzzles by itself or within a HOS (eg moving the plagues, arranging the wine bottles within a HOS)

Great storyline. That little guy is kinda of scary for me, u just dont know whether hes supposed to be evil or good or in-between

Great magical ingredients=great game

LOVE LOVE LOVE

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 22, 13 8:40 AM
Why do I keep buying CEs when they first come out rather than waiting for the "specials?" Yep, already got the other three. As usual, ERS has done it again with exceptional graphics and game play. Very nice voice overs. Games not difficult. I like the change up with the HOGs..very nice (play to see what I'm talking about). Music nice. Sound FX nice. Hint system is helpful but slow recovery. Nice SG, stays on last page when you leave and come back.

Minor dislikes. Yes, the creepy little guy is back. Didn't care for the location of the jump map, ledger and such. Everything was too cramped together and easy to hit the wrong item. Odd looking cat face. Looked like the cat from Alice in Wonderland...weird. Again, dev does not show all the chapters, so you can't guess how long the game is. ERS games are usually fairly long though.

All that being said, my time went quickly and even though I have sworn off CE games, I find the need to buy this one to see how it plays out. Besides, I want to add it to my HL collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 22, 13 4:53 PM
I am on the fence about this game. I usually like this series, but as others have said, too much of the evil little guy! He's everywhere! But I do like the puzzles, graphics, HOS, etc. I downloaded the trial and am not buying at this time, but maybe when a sale comes along...........

quizzly
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by quizzly on Jun 23, 13 3:12 AM
This is one of the games I will play a second time because I liked it and found it entertaining. It is done with so much love to detail and I have the impression that the developers tried hard to improve the features that were criticized in previous games. Well done folks!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jun 23, 13 11:32 AM
I really enjoyed this game....yes it is typical ERS but I still love their games. I will purchase the SE since CE's don't usually offer anything that I MUST have....

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Jun 23, 13 11:54 AM
I bought this game when the forum was down, and a sale was on. I didn't get the chance to read any reviews, but I did play the demo. I saw that is was ERS, and did like most ERS fans, I bought it. I had several moments of da ja vu, but with ERS games, you will. The poltergeists, and the garden "green thumb thing", is a waste of time. They are not achievements. If something doesn't tie into the game, leave it out. (like dressing up pets). However, I like looking for the rings, to make the necklace, now that is different. I know we want this developer to switch it up a bit, but, remember when people started complaining about MCF games, they came out with "Shadow Lake", and what a disappointment. No matter how predictable ERS has been, their games are fun to play, maybe not challenging, but beautiful, and fun.

Pros: it's ERS
Cons: the poltergeists should have been acheivements, (like morphing objects)
the map doesn't show areas where activity is needed
the garden, was like dressing up a pet (not necessary)
This will be a great SE, but not a CE

Edited on 06/23/2013 at 11:58:48 AM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 23, 13 4:05 PM
I found this game lovely. I liked how they had this beautiful estate, and it was pretty without a ton of spiders, (the snakes in the game are a water fountain and are more art deco than scary). I LIKE cute animals. I want the cat running around in this game!! You have a murder mystery, the main villain of the piece is claiming he didn't do it. ( I could have told you that just by watching the main intro, *spoiler* the guy is like two feet tall and he bonks someone on the head who is walking with a candlestick? * end spoiler* He shows up a lot in the game it is true. But as to being scary? Hardly. He seems more like an old grousy man! Greedy for the book, but not scary. If this had been a Nancy Drew Game he would have conked me half a dozen times if he was scary! I played the flower game. Okay it's not integral to the game. But it's fun. I got all my roses built up to all my flower pots. Then cut them and when I found the next type of flower was able to plant a roomful of those. So I am building up my gold for whatever comes. Yes it's completely optional. But I don't have to follow a bunch of ghosts around all the time I can take a nice trip over to the Garden and plant some flowers....AND THEY LIVE!!! LOL

Now if this had been real life they would have been gasping for water by the end of the day!

The game fills up my screen, the music can be turned off, but I didn't do it. I like the music in these games, but they are pretty much the same. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Meanwhile I got a few suspicions over who ACTUALLY conked the dead guy.....

but we will have to see.....

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 23, 13 6:05 PM
I agree that all ERS games are the same. All worth buying to me. I can't recall a clinker in the bunch. Just my opinion. If something works, keep tweeking it to make it better. ERS does this as well or better than most. Thanks Team

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jun 24, 13 10:13 AM
steve_san wrote:
I was disappointed with this game, owning some of the other Haunted Legends.

As others have noted, there is way too much of SG (every scene), although we do get his name. To make it worse, the voiceover for him was not too good either.

Gameplay was quite ordinary in the demo. No "wow" factor.

The whole gardening thing I had no interest in. I never tried to do anything with it, and there is no point to it. It might have made sense if it was somehow tied to the story but if it was, somehow I missed it.

My opinion, a dud, but try and see.

I agree with all of the above. Unfortunately, I bought the game and am stuck with it. I have no interest in playing it through. Poor choice on my part.

Faylyn

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Jun 24, 13 10:05 PM
Really just so-so for me. Never understood the garden thing. Bonus chapter was 'eh'. I should have waited for the SE.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jun 26, 13 7:09 PM
Just finished the demo and am not sorry the hour's over. I can only find a few things to list in the Good column:

- a few interesting puzzles
- the cat almost looks like a real cat
- the necklace concept was interesting and looked like it would become more involved as the game went on
- voiceovers were clear and comprehensible

Less than good:
- graphics were watercoloury and bland
- the HOs were washed out and poorly coloured e.g. the tomato was brownish-green
- the garden activity was so pointless I didn't look at it twice- it really belonged in a different kind of game

This is definitely not a buy for me, even as an SE.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jun 27, 13 9:12 AM
It's funny how some games play from one computer to another -- on my new HP windows 8, I had beautiful color for this game and great graphics. But I really found the garden thing deeply uninteresting (and I actually just bought some new, not virtual, plants and transplanted some others, so it's not that I hate plants, I hated the time consuming nature of the garden game). I have yet to figure out when this game is set, given the great 1930's car in the opening and the vaguely lateish 19th century clothing of the sister. Mostly, it felt like a great promise of a great game, but, ooops same old, same old, and I wasn't interested enough, although I stuck with the whole demo, hoping it would catch my interest. I also got to say -- making a little person the creepy, possibly bad guy, simply based on his size is kind of a no go. No buy for me. But boy, the color sure was pretty. sigh.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Jun 27, 13 12:35 PM
I'm proud to have finished the game. It was not an easy one, but enjoyed the challenges. I got into trouble by getting ahead of myself in the game then had to refer to strategic guide and retrace steps. A very clever game for anyone that would like a the challenge. Also started twice to really understand what the gist of it was. However fun enough to repeat the beginning.

Go to: