lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

Re:Reviews for Calavera: Day of the Dead Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 23, 13 10:46 PM
weird guide that also act as help, interactive map, interactive HOS, a bit frustrating mini puzzles, great 3D graphics, lots of collectibles, skulls, posters etc

Great storyline, easy to play through scenery, esp with help from the map

HOS has become a stable jelly mould, developers just creating more of the same. But I still LOVE IT

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 24, 13 1:01 AM
I really, really did not like it!!
Check out my review on the page for more details, but I found it SO boring! The story was dull and the Guide's voice annoyed the living daylights out of me!!

muttmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
534 Posts

[Post New]by muttmom on Jun 25, 13 2:19 PM
My ? to Miss Lisa (hope I got that right) Why pigs and not fish? There's the Carp for
a real bad game. The whale for a really great game (such as a Whale of a game)
Just wondering. It is a pond sponsored by Big Fish.

123train
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by 123train on Jun 25, 13 10:51 PM
Absolutely Loved this game. Can't stop playing. The story, characters, music graphics all are Fabulous. And the humor is great too. It's a 10 out of 10 for me.

Charkez64
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Charkez64 on Jun 26, 13 2:05 PM
I just finished the extra part of this game and I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. Lots of collectibles and a different take on the mini-games, I found the graphics bright and easy to see especially after some of the dark and grainy ones we've had recently. I also found the music very appropriate, though I know some turn it off, it adds a lot to the game to me if the music fits.

Thanks to all our regular reviewers whose opinions I value. Just looking at this game I wasn't at all tempted to try, but after reading how much fun it was I had to see for myself. And as usual, I soon found why it got good reviews. I think the developers did a great job with this game and hope to see more from them in the future.

Eucritta
Minnow
Minnow
204 Posts

[Post New]by Eucritta on Jun 30, 13 10:30 AM
Now I've completed the game ....

There's a lot to like about this one: it's engaging, colorful, visually entertaining, and long. The mini-puzzles are nicely adapted to the theme, and not too difficult - the only ones I had trouble with were a few requiring more hand-to-eye coordination than I could muster these past couple of days. There's a helper character who also provides hints, and he's a little annoying at times, but not too bad - and I appreciated that the notebook could at times provide first-level hints, for those times I just needed a nudge. And it was really very nice to have a game set in something other than a generic European setting, or based in European folklore.

I also deeply appreciated the print-and-fold papercraft feelies provided in the extras. Gave me warm glow of nostalgia.

There are also some things that are just ... so-so. It's a bit old-fashioned and occasionally clunky. There are some spots where regions register to the cursor as 'active' but aren't yet, and that's definitely annoying. And then, while the main game does have a satisfactory ending, the bonus play is actually the last chapter, not a side or backstory. This always leaves me feeling a bit cheated.

But, finally ... there are things I definitely do not like, not one bit, not at all, when I came to them: and the worst of these is, there's a puzzle that requires you (if you don't skip it, as I did) to engage in a cockfight. I'm sorry, devs, but that's just unacceptable. There's also other cruelty to animals. Fantastical cartoon or not, it's just not something I want or appreciate, and because of it I very much doubt I'll ever replay the game.

Others' mileage may vary, of course.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jun 30, 13 2:09 PM
The game had a different story to it, and the "book" had some laughable comments.

I agree with you Eucritta, I did not care for the "cockfight" either. I played it and won, but the only reason I played it was to make sure I completed all of the mini games in order to get the "achievement".

This game had some different mini games to it. Some were enjoyable, and some left a lot to be desired.

Will I play this game again, maybe. It does not rate as high as many of the other games that I have played.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Jun 30, 13 6:30 PM
Unbelievable imagination!!!! Game was great fun. could be very difficult at times, but on that can be played over and maybe better the second time. Good luck and enjoy the graphics and surprise game and hidden objects. all very amusing.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jul 2, 13 1:16 AM
I really enjoyed this fun game with its charming graphics, sounds, excellent music and quirky humor and characters. It has 26 collectables, skulls, that has its own reward when you click the skulls. And achievements, of which one was pretty difficult and may require a second playthrough. Nice minigames/puzzles that are almost arcade-like and the Guide book was funny.

Excellent Mexican-themed land-of-the-dead adventure

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Jul 4, 13 8:26 AM
muttmom wrote:My ? to Miss Lisa (hope I got that right) Why pigs and not fish? .

I'm not Miss Lisa, but the obvious answer is because the acronym for Hidden Object Game is HOG.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 4, 13 9:45 PM
Just finished playing the Demo - don't know if I will buy the game or not. I wasn't crazy about anything I have seen so far. Didn't particularly like the graphcs ( I seem to be in the minority here). They seemed so cartoonish. The story is nothing new. And the one mini-game I have come across is just another aggravating try your patience thing. I may buy this game at some point, but not now!!

feenix

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jul 12, 13 7:41 PM
i somehow missed demoing this game when it first game out and i'm glad i finally noticed!

i REALLY liked this game! i liked the talking guide book (dry wit is the best!) and i liked collecting the skulls. i'm going to have to start at the beginning when i buy this game (waiting for a BPM or a nice sale on CEs soon... ) because just as the cutscene started to take me away from the train station, i saw another skull i missed and couldn't click it... and couldn't go back to get it!

i didn't use the hint, SG or map and i played in the middle difficulty so i wouldn't lose my chance at a hint or skip if needed. there were still sparkles over the HOS, but that doesn't bug me because i can usually figure out where the HOS are because they usually look like junkpiles before they become junkpile HOS!

there was some thinking involved and i liked that! i also liked the puzzles as they were somewhat different from the norm. i don't usually like timed or arcade style puzzles, but the ones i encountered in the demo were very well done.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 19, 13 7:54 AM
this is a GREAT game-

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 19, 13 7:56 AM
We rate this game 5 out of 5 . it has a good story and plot and is fun to play. if you like HOS games, this one is for you.------------doug & lisa......................

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jul 21, 13 4:27 PM
I absolutely LOVED the main game and played it all the way through without having to use the SG. Most awesome jump map as there was much back and forth going on. I always knew where I was to go and the map was MOST helpful in saving me time getting there. This was a VERY long playing game and I can't say enough how much fun I had playing it!!

BUT!!!...

The bonus game was a wreck!! Very limited game play areas that didn't make sense to me and I could barely do a thing without consulting the SG!! Very obvious the main game and the bonus were developed by different teams. I really don't think the bonus lent anything to the story line and that it was pretty lame.

I TOTALLY recommend this game as a SE, the CE was a waste of my time and money, but hey, you decide... different strokes for different folks!!!

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Jul 22, 13 3:34 PM
I echo others' positive remarks.......I enjoyed the game, especially the humor. I do have a general comment for all dev's though......... get a good translator!!! You may think you have one.......fire them and find a real one!! I'm OK with errors in dialogue, but the mislabeling of objects in the HOS is really annoying (not just in this game.... it's just this one put me over the top and had to say something). Are you listening, devs???

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 25, 13 8:51 PM
This was a good game, but it definitely needed the map. I must have worn out 15 pairs of sneakers. . After a while I almost forgot what I was trying to do originally. Try it

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 28, 13 6:33 PM
I just finished. I really enjoyed this game!

Go to: