Reviews for Druid Kingdom

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Reviews for Druid Kingdom

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 25, 13 4:27 PM
i think they were trying too hard with this one! the goals are moderately achievable in the time allowed in the first several levels, but there is way too much other stuff going on...

1 - the "tutorial" sorceress keeps popping up throughout the levels without really giving much clear advice... i don't know about you, but when it's a race against the clock to chop that wood and build that bridge it's not the time to be handing out advice about upgrades i can't even *look at* until i finish the "episode"

2 - what was the deal with the two characters having a running dialogue in the middle of a level... one guy's running one way, one guy's running the other, but they're having a chat? and i really did *not* catch a thing they said because i was focused on that whole chopping down trees and building bridges thing

3 - on top of all the people coming and going and talking while i'm trying to rebuild this kingdom single-handedly... there are also mushrooms popping up and butterflies flying around that i have to deal with - ???

if i had the worst case of ADD anywhere and was just a touch oblivious to the cat in the real world who is also going after that butterfly, i might be able to handle this, but... i'm just a regular human with a totally insane cat and i KNOW this game is not for me!

good luck to those of you who can handle this, because it looks really cute and i would love to see how the story turns out!

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Jun 25, 13 7:45 PM
I have to agree with everyone else. I play and love these games all the time. This dev is one of my favorites. I don't mind that the worker has to go back to the cottage every time and I don't mind that we can't chain tasks. The timer though is ridiculous. Even buying every power-up continuously throughout the game you can't get gold. I'm only on 1.6! And they expect me to have time for extra stuff? And what's with the shamrocks that appear for a split second then go away?

No buy for me, probably not even as a DD.

Edited on 06/25/2013 at 8:00:09 PM PST

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Jun 25, 13 10:46 PM
I love these kinds of games, and I'm used to them having timers and not getting the gold medal on most levels. All I ask is to be allowed to finish the level and move on, the medals don't matter to me. But at least the games usually let you continue when the timer runs out. This one just tells you the time has run out and makes you replay the level.

Add to that not being able to queue tasks and you get one of the most frustrating of these types of games that I've ever played.

I'm going back to play Viking Saga again to get the taste of this one out of my mouth. Now there's a perfect example of this type of game - the devs of Druid's Kingdom should try playing Viking Saga to see how great a game like these can really be if it's programmed right!

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Jun 25, 13 11:22 PM
I've only played about 15 mins of the demo - and i totally agree with all the "negatives" that everyone else has posted. Not sure I've achieved "gold" on any level. Does the timer continue to run while they are trying to give you hints/instructions that you need to dismiss?

I do enjoy having challenging levels, but you should be able to get gold in the first few levels, especially when they are interrupting you with directions and dialogs.

I think the most frustrating thing was not being able to chain actions. That just gets in the way of trying to think ahead and plan out what you want to do when you have to wait until the little guy gets back home before you can issue the next action.

I will finish out the demo just to see if there's anything to draw me in and erase the impact of the negatives, but I suspect this will be a no buy for me.

kim0530
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by kim0530 on Jun 26, 13 1:16 AM
This is the first time I had miss feelings about a game.. On one hand, I do like the story line and the the challenge along with the fantastic graphics BUT on the other hand since there is no relax mode I'm having problems beating the clock (also the clock goes fast). The 60 min demo, I was still on level 1. My computer is not great and there are times I just want to relax. I enjoy both ways, I want a good challenge but other times I just want to sit back and relax and enjoy the story line. Then to top of everything else, If you don't beat the clock, you have to start over and that can be annoying especially when you are an elderly person or if you have a cheap computer.

NZBloke
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by NZBloke on Jun 26, 13 1:36 AM
Yes I know I have no spare workers, I am telling you what to do next! Please bring in chain tasks!!!!!

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Jun 26, 13 2:31 AM
Wow. The reviews are so bad on this I'm not even going to consider trying it till the Developers (hopefully) do an updated version to deal with the suggestions of their players.

nelly153
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by nelly153 on Jun 26, 13 3:36 AM
sateku_1975 wrote:I totally agree with previous posts. To sum it up:

1) Timer is extremely unforgiving
2) No chaining of tasks
3) Unclear goals

Especially number 2 is really preventing me from enjoying this game as I thought I would when seeing the cute and gorgeous graphics. I am not in any mood to keep on clicking on tasks at the perfect point in time, just to barely miss the gold if I miss the click by a fraction of a second. And since it seems like you also should click on other stuff in various sub-tasks, I just know my frustration levels would go nuts after a while, I was already frustrated at level 2!

I like to chain tasks and formulate various strategies in my TM-games, especially if they have a difficult time limit like this one. Here it seems like there is only one way out and that is to click fast and exact or wait for the tedious gatheing of power-ups...

No buy for me - unfortunately.

Exactly my thoughts on the game. A shame as it could be great but ...!

I like to get gold and I like to replay a couple of times to work out the best strategy but even in first few levels found it too hard to get the gold timings

I got very frustrated and really don't like not being able to chain tasks.

Sorry but dev's need to rethink this before it becomes a purchase for me

Edited on 06/26/2013 at 3:40:20 AM PST

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Jun 26, 13 4:09 AM
Total miss!

I agree with many people on this! I got silver on levels 2-9 & I am an experienced tm player. Lack of multitasking is a definite minus! If you don't complete a level on time, you do have to do it again. I had to drag my feet a bit to run the timer out, but really?

Come on devs! EVERY game should have multitasking & options that make it so even a child can play. Well, except for those gross scary games....creepy is not my thing.

The great graphics made me think this would be a great pay attention to during commercials kinda game, but mostly it's frustrating. Losing your elder customers is not a great idea.

Casual gaming means casual gaming...not bursting an artery willing the character to go faster!

[Post New]by mrsssync0r on Jun 26, 13 9:48 AM
I am more than a little disappointed having just about figured out how the game works and managed to achieve gold on all but the final level that there is only 30 levels. That's way to short... hopefully more will 'come soon' as promised but do feel a little shortchanged for my coupon.

skydad
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by skydad on Jun 26, 13 12:51 PM
This is a great game for trying to get gold. Just finished Viking Saga on hard and it was incredibly simple. To me Gold should be very difficult and this game lives up to that standard. Great game!

skydad
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by skydad on Jun 26, 13 12:53 PM
nelly153 wrote:

2) No chaining of tasks
3) Unclear goals

Especially number 2 is really preventing me from enjoying this game as I thought I would when seeing the cute and gorgeous graphics. I am not in any mood to keep on clicking on tasks at the perfect point in time, just to barely miss the gold if I miss the click by a fraction of a second. And since it seems like you also should click on other stuff in various sub-tasks, I just know my frustration levels would go nuts after a while, I was already frustrated at level 2!

I like to chain tasks and formulate various strategies in my TM-games, especially if they have a difficult time limit like this one. Here it seems like there is only one way out and that is to click fast and exact or wait for the tedious gatheing of power-ups...

I like to get gold and I like to replay a couple of times to work out the best strategy but even in first few levels found it too hard to get the gold timings

This is the whole point of GOLD - accomplishing something most do not. This game is refreshing in that Gold is very difficult. Just finished Viking Saga on hard and it was a joke. You could make countless mistakes on a level and still make gold with ease. If you like to get gold - earn it the old fashion way - - work hard for it.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jun 26, 13 3:24 PM
OMG there's a growing number of people who like building game with no TM element at all? Please don't take out all the fun from all the games and continue caring for those of us who really love both building and TM... Thank you.

Well, that was a reply to one of the comments I just read in this thread.
Just downloaded the 1 hour trial, on my way to check it out, hope I'll like it, as this is my perhaps next purchase.. yes.

Thank you for great building & TM games

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jun 26, 13 5:35 PM
skydad wrote:
nelly153 wrote:

2) No chaining of tasks
3) Unclear goals

This is the whole point of GOLD - accomplishing something most do not. This game is refreshing in that Gold is very difficult. Just finished Viking Saga on hard and it was a joke. You could make countless mistakes on a level and still make gold with ease. If you like to get gold - earn it the old fashion way - - work hard for it.

actually gold is impossible in later levels witout buying the powerups from the store...and they cost way too much,,,have been playing for a week and still dont have all of them at the 1st level

[Post New]by TheLadyNala on Jun 27, 13 8:13 AM
The game had so much going for it I figured I'd buy and go back to replay levels I missed. Unfortunately, I did not realize I could not move forward if I did not complete a level in time. After replaying the same level 6 times with no success I've given up. When you replay a level you do not get the crystals back that you used for power ups. I wish I had not jumped the gun and purchased this game. Timer is a huge fail for me. I'm going to delete.

DoobieBear
Flounder
Flounder
2,169 Posts

[Post New]by DoobieBear on Jun 27, 13 8:54 AM
There is a purchase in the store that allows you to chain the tasks. Not sure if people noticed this since it also took me awhile to realize it.

The timer really is extremely fast. I think if the devs had allowed an extension after the bronze (and not given out diamonds for going over the bronze) then that would have helped sell the game since most people (including me) like to just enjoy it at times rather than be rushed to complete a level just to advance the story.

It would be really nice if the devs gave us an improved update to incorporate some of these issues that most definitely would help their game to sell to many more people. If they don't then I really, really hope they will in the sequel.

Other than those issues it really is a cute game and I did enjoy it even if I only got bronze. Makes it extremely hard to purchase items in the store though so I never got to check out anything but the chain tasks and the farm and wood shops.

I really like the idea of trying to get the extra stuff which is really cute, but there's just no way I can enjoy it like it deserves to be enjoyed with the demanding timer it has.

Please devs....give us some extra time or at least allow us to continue the game with no diamonds after the bronze time ends. Thank you!

Tiffling
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Tiffling on Jun 27, 13 11:31 AM
I bought it and am very disapointed in the game for all the reasons stated. I have all the MY Kingdom games and had no problem getting gold on any level but this game is impossible!!!

Tiff

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jun 27, 13 3:32 PM
the devs announced they are doing a update with a relaxed mode, no pay to go to next chapter,,, and some other issues

strilf
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by strilf on Jun 27, 13 5:12 PM
Downloaded, played to check if it worked, bought.

I like the game, and I absolutely ADORE about half of the music. (The other half is just ok, nothing special, but not bad either.)

However, I have the same issues as a lot of other people, the timer is impossible. Also, the look of the game, the menu, the options button, etc, gave me a sort of niggling, familiar feeling. It was not until I had almost completed the game, that I realized what it was: The whole game, and the menu in particular have the feeling of a tablet game modified for PC use. And after checking the local app provider, it turns out I was right. I suddenly get the feeling (without owning the game for my tablet), that the gems needed for various things, are a purchasable option in the tablet game, and while it MIGHT make sense on the tablet (although I dislike it, it's a sneaky way of getting more money out of people), using that system where you have to purchase everything on a PC game, just doesn't work for me. I've half a mind of deleting this game now.

Devs, you've made GREAT PC games in the past, I, also, am a big fan of MKFTP. I think it's a good idea that you try to expand your customer base, by creating games for other platforms too. But could you PLEASE keep those 2 separate? I play an AWFUL lot of games, both on PC and tablet, and some of them works fine on both. This doesn't. It might do, if you took the whole "tablet feel" away from it, but in general, I think it's a rubbish idea to take a game and just modify it slightly for another platform. That's just cheating.

Edited on 06/27/2013 at 5:16:27 PM PST

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Jun 27, 13 8:12 PM
bella81762 wrote:the devs announced they are doing a update with a relaxed mode, no pay to go to next chapter,,, and some other issues

This is good news! I was enjoying the game, but I get bored/frustrated if I have to repeat a level multiple times to get gold. There's a fine line between challenging and tedious and I fear this one would become tedious as it currently is.

Go to: