tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jul 7, 13 8:17 AM
Well, I finished the main game a little while ago and I have to say that I found it quite easy and well... predictable, like many other players did. But I think that the lack of challenge was compensated by the spectacular artwork and one of the most beautiful epilogues I have ever seen in a game. Some of you may find it kind of silly but the ending nearly brought tears to my eyes. It really moved me.
So, I guess I recommend this game especially while the offer is still on.
Take care all.

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 9:00:23 PM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 7, 13 11:24 AM
Longed-For Sequel To The Classic Horror HOPA, Dollhouse Story!

BASED ON DEMO

And it is a GENUINE sequel. It not only contains the UNIQUE FEATURES of DOLLHOUSE STORY including the DOLLHOUSE, the VOODOO DOLL sidekick, and our NEMESIS, the EVIL CLOWN, but it is a CONTINUATION of the STORY.

Again, you must confront the evil clown, tracking him into a surreal town peopled by wooden dolls. Best of all, that UNIQUELY CREEPY FEELING is here too, without it seeming like this is just a repetition of the previous game.

Finding the character dolls and placing them in the dollhouse allows you to piece together the disturbing truth in your battle to save your husband and daughter. It is the story of the dollhouse that is the essence of the series’ appeal I believe, so I’ll say no more about it, except that things are not always what they seem.

I really like the INTRO, even though the CUT SCENES are a little rough. It has just the right balance of INFO vs. MYSTERY. The game GRAPHICS are BEAUTIFULLY DRAWN & IMAGINATIVE, there’s lots of COLOUR and MOVEMENT. MUSIC is appropriate, and the VOICEOVERS are REALLY GOOD.

HO SCENES are CLEAR, COLOURFUL & well designed. The type is INTERACTIVE LIST & there is also at least one MULTIPLES OF, as well as almost-HOS like SPOT THE DIFFERENCE. There aren’t too many PUZZLES, but they are UNIQUE and INTERESTING and include PUZZLE BOARDS (according to the SCREEN SHOTS).

The ACTION is INVENTORY-DRIVEN, by which I mean, we are mostly finding an item, using it to get another, and so on to progress in the game. This component is a BIT TRICKY, but there is our helpful VOODOO friend who can clarify things (HINT), and we have an INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP that shows ACTIVE AREAS.

The BONUS CONTENT is the STANDARD GALLERY ITEMS, BONUS CHAPTER & STRATEGY GUIDE. An annoying thing about the demo is that we weren’t given even a glimpse of that material. Some may be a bit disappointed with the lack of ‘bling’, but this game packs such a punch I don’t think it’s necessary to add extras.

Those of you who have not played the original game will find it is not necessary for enjoying this game, but it is an EXCELLENT GAME, structured similarly, and I highly recommend it. It is one of my ALL-TIME FAVOURITES.

I recommend this game!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 7, 13 2:59 PM
Hope everyone had a great weekend! Well, I'm about to fall off the boat (not the wagon) again and purchase my 2nd CE this week! Yes, I have sworn off CE games, but I think I need this one. I have the first Stray Souls and really liked that one.

Graphics and game play are very nice. Like the voice overs and really nice sound FX. Haven't used the map yet, but the hint system is very helpful and fills quickly (faster than the 30 seconds it says it does). Games are very easy so far. HOGs are not bad (only ran across 2 during demo)...needs more HOGs.

I really, really do not care for the SG at all. I don't like just pictures, give me written instructions and a picture of the most important instruction only, not every little step. Too many pictures just make a mess and this one is definitely a mess. Very disappointing. As I said, the hint system is very helpful.

This game is not all that challenging, but keeps you entertained and sort of picks up where the first one left off. The clown is really creepy, and I like clowns. It would greatly benefit from a little something extra, like morphing objects, or finding something special along the way. If it weren't for the special this weekend, I probably would have waited for the SE, but I am purchasing this one to add to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jul 7, 13 6:13 PM
I just bought this CE & I am LOVIN IT!!!!! I do not want it to end!!!!!

BFFirefly
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by BFFirefly on Jul 8, 13 9:12 AM
I've been away visiting family for a week and returned home yesterday after driving in white knuckles rain all day. After settling in and seeing what BF had to offer, I chose the Stray Souls demo. I must say after my demo was up I had to purchase it, especially with the sale going on.

As some have stated the game isn't overly long nor is it hard but I still enjoyed it immensely. After being on the road all day with the driving maniacs, it was a nice enjoyable game that I hated to end. Nothing like playing a game during a storm with lightening with an in your face pop up creep factor. The graphics on this one were great and the bonus chapter was a nice addition as a prequel explanation to the actual game. Not being one for morphing objects and achievements because I get too caught up in the game and miss most of them, I didn't particularly care that they weren't included as part of the CE. In my opinion the fun and relax factors were just what I needed and wanted last night and this game fit the bill.

My only regret is the sale today includes all the games that I already have in my collection but hopefully someone else will benefit and love this series too.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jul 8, 13 2:08 PM
The only thing I was unhappy about is that during the whole demo, there were only 2 HO's and no MO's...

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 9, 13 3:36 AM
Apparently my original review is TOO LONG for the forums. Oh well.

I loved the demo from beginning to end. The story was brilliant and the gameplay was simple, however I will be waiting for the SE.

See my ACTUAL review on the game page.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jul 10, 13 5:35 PM
Love the bonus chapter....completely explains the story & how it all began.....2 thumbs up!!!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 11, 13 12:23 PM
Based on completed main game:

Although this game is far from perfect I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. First, I will admit that I am somewhat afraid of clowns. So I found this game intriguing from almost the beginning.

I also have a fondness for those little knit toys and when I saw one I hoped that it would be an integral part of the game. He is and he's awfully cute and I wish I had one like him.

I was sad during certain parts. I don't think I have ever had a game touch me as this one did. Perhaps part of it is because the characters are so life-like. The graphics are top-notch, the voice-overs good and in synch with lip movements...it made it seem real to me, like a good book that I become involved in and sorry to see end.

Speaking of endings, there are a lot of devs that should take notice of the ending of this game. It has a real ending that actually takes a bit of time; it's like the ending to a movie, not an abrupt two-second announcement that one has succeeded while the credits are already rolling. The storyline is not unique but is presented in a way which makes it interesting. There are a lot of places to explore and a lot of things to see. I loved that!

Some of the puzzles are easy but some take a little thinking and I did skip a couple towards the end, probably because I was getting tired but still wanting so much to know what happened. I know I can play them again and I will as these are good puzzles and fun. I'm not big on puzzles; I often find them frustrating because of some brain damage. But the puzzles in this game (and I am including the HOS with puzzles) are intriguing. I'm going to beat that puzzle with the bride and groom one of these days!

I didn't use the Hint button but hints were displayed every once in awhile. I have mixed feelings about that.

The SG consists of pictures, some of which were so small that I could not see them. I almost had to get out a magnifying glass. I think the SG was sloppy and put together without much thought. People can read, devs.; at least most of us who play these games. Please don't insult our intelligence by an inferior SG.

I bought the CE because of a sale. I don't recommend the CE because of the SG, no achievements, no morphing objects. I haven't played the bonus game but I doubt it is worth twice the price of a SE.

Overall I recommend this game highly and am looking forward to playing the next.

Cherry

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 12:29:59 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 11, 13 5:05 PM
yes, we really did enjoy playing the game and was a little let down on the length of it. but other than that is a great game..................doug & lisa=====

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jul 13, 13 11:03 AM
I agree with all of the positive reviewers... loved the game. Great artwork/graphics. The backgrounds were really interesting and great look.

The only negative of the game that the bonus play was very very short. Besides that I really enjoyed playing this game.

Happy game day to all...

teeka57
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by teeka57 on Jul 14, 13 4:48 AM
Sniet wrote:28 minutes played, nice to play, but what is a hidden object game without hidden object scenes? An adventure game?

Sorry, no buy for me :-(

I played 45 mins and came across one hidden object game... I agree with you!

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jul 16, 13 1:16 PM
Very good mystery game. Excellent, clear graphics.

Didn't care for the Strategy Guide, just being pictures. Would rather have had both writing and pictures.

For those that purchase the SE version, you will get a proper ending to the game. The Bonus Game covers the plane crash, etc.

With the CE version, you get to replay the mini games, as many times as you want along with the other extras.

The music fit the story and did not become irritating.

At some future date, I will play the "Stray Souls" games again, because the games are well done and interesting.

[Post New]by biggbogg35 on Jul 20, 13 11:27 PM
I loved it i played the demo and go t it immediately the next day +++++ stars one thing i dont understand qt the. End of thee 1st sam turned back into human so where did the clown come from and it said that the machine released a demon but it didnt the clowwn killed sams parents releasing the demons FROM THE BOX!!!!!!!! apart from that i loved it

Starblader
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by Starblader on Jul 22, 13 3:21 PM
I really loved the game and hope there is another one. I also liked how this game switched characters and brought back the old dollhouse from the first one. I like how you had to get a button for the new doll that helps you through the game.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 2, 13 9:46 AM
I'm just catching up with my unplayed games, and had saved this one for last. Should have played it first. Great game but would have waited for the SE f I thought I would live long enough for the release. Try it, you just might like it.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Nov 11, 13 10:28 PM
Finished, I enjoyed this very much, just enough hog , story and games.

Go to: