mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Reviews for Final Cut: Encore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mamajay on Jul 12, 13 10:56 PM
With such a 'mixed bag' of reviews here, I wasn't sure at first if I would even bother trialling the game! However, I remembered that after finally trialling Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen, I enjoyed it so much that I bought the SE version (can't remember now why I didn't get the CE). So, I decided to give this one a go, and I am very glad I did.

All the 'usual suspects' have already being mentioned by Valdy et al, so I will just say that I really like looking for special items - they might be hard to find, and I usually miss some, but I like to think of it as good exercise for my eyes, lol.

I have finished the main game, the bonus chapter (which I thought was very well done), and played the Special Adventure (for want of a better word) - it was a lot of fun, and quite informative. I think someone mentioned reading the credits, and they were right - the Eipix team have a great sense of humour.

I would say the main game took me roughly 5 to 6 hours and maybe an hour (perhaps longer) for the bonus chapter. The SG worked well when I needed it, the hint system also works well, and gives you the choice of jumping to a new scene if you need to, without running to and fro

It does take a little while to get the hang of the changing viewpoint, but after a while it gets easier to cope with (and understand). About the only thing that irked me a bit, was the black screen between changing scenes - but luckily they never lasted too long.

I was able to do most of the puzzles, but sometimes had to click the Skip button to help me finish

The voices are very well done, and the music is very nice - I loved listening to it

Devs - Well Done!!

Jen

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jul 13, 13 6:13 AM
Very good game! I remember the first "silver screen", I liked a lot, but I think this one is even better, higher quality, as far as graphics, better minigames and puzzles, and more variety of tasks, and locations! If a recall well, also in "silver screen" there was the match 3, alternative to HOG, but I am not sure if there were the achievements as well as in this one, which gives you a hint of smile! Very good SG, hint system and interactive map, including collection of filmcuts and morphing objcts! I To me is a 5 game worth the C E!

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jul 13, 13 6:56 PM
After finishing the main game, I'll say it was enjoyable but wasn't as good as the first one.

I LOVED the first one, so much so that I bought the CE after buying the SE because I wanted to play the bonus chapter, something I rarely do. I was very disappointed by the bonus chapter in the first game.

The storyline is a continuation of the first game and the bad guy is obvious from the beginning. But as someone already mentioned, I don't play these for high literature or an enthralling story. Someone also mentioned a lot of cutscenes and dialogue but I don't think so. The dialogue was cheesy and over the top, in my opinion. At one point, someone says, "it's all written here in this top secret file." I also thought the voice actors, with the exception of your character, were terrible. But not terrible enough to make the game unenjoyable, just enough for you to laugh and/or roll your eyes.

The gameplay is good. I played on expert and really liked its settings. You can still skip puzzles (important feature) and the black bar tips appear but give no hints. A nicer feature than other games that disable them entirely.

I didn't play a single HOS, instead played the Match 3 puzzles. This means you'll miss out on a lot of achievements so you'll have to decide what's more important to you. They weren't too hard or too easy. I looked forward to them, rather than groan at another HOS.

The puzzles were good. The first one with the lights had me tearing my hair out but I finally got all the lights on, only to discover I needed to turn the lights off. Highlight to read the spoiler of how I managed to solve that puzzle: I pressed reset and it was extremely obvious what lights to press. Some puzzles were new-ish (to me) or a newer take on an old game (i.e., Towers of Hanoi). The only puzzle I didn't like was the incredibly easy, time consuming, no strategy required mahjong puzzles (I should add, I like mahjong puzzles).

cont'd.....

Edited on 07/13/2013 at 7:08:40 PM PST

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jul 13, 13 7:07 PM
cont'd....

The adventure aspect was pretty good. You never had too many inventory items and sometimes you used them right away, some you kept for awhile. As well, it wasn't always obvious where to use them. Although the game world is huge with lots of areas to explore, sometimes there was only one or two things to find/do in a room so maybe fewer areas with more stuff in them would have been better. I felt that way about the Dorian Gray game that was out last year. Huge world, one thing to do per room.

I turned the music off so I don't know how that was but the ambiance was fine. I did find it odd that there was no sound during some (all?) of the cutscenes. The game took place in the 40s and the scenes were in colour so I don't think it was an homage to silent film. I kept thinking my laptop was working funny.

Like the first one, there are three types of collectibles. Highlight for spoiler: morphing items, film strips and clovers. Another spoiler about collectibles: the map shows what scenes still have a film strip to find. I liked that they were different amounts of collectibles, meaning they were harder to find because some weren't in every scene so you had to remember. I won't play a game like this without collectibles so having three different kinds to find is a huge plus.

There is a bonus "game" in the Extras where you visit the game maker's studio and see pictures of the staff (the women are ridiculously gorgeous). You can read an interview with the producer (again thought it weird there was no sound) which was really enjoyable.

I doubt I'll play the bonus chapter. Nothing against the game, I rarely play them. I'm usually happy the game is done and I just don't feel like starting another story in a shorter mode.

Sorry, this was very long. I rarely write reviews but I'm procrastinating on doing something else so here we are

Edited on 07/13/2013 at 7:07:51 PM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 14, 13 5:55 AM
Another Cinematic Blockbuster

BASED ON DEMO

The first Final Cut game was a spectacular TRIBUTE to the ART of CINEMATOGRAPHY. Despite graphics that to my eye are not as high quality, this game is NO LESS a work of art. And MORE FUN. There are more exciting things happening and lots of interesting LOCATIONS.

The ARTWORK is still VERY GOOD, but it seems a little less seamless and a little more fuzzy. All of it seems to be in the right time period, and looks very AUTHENTIC.

The MUSIC is DRAMATIC and can catch you unawares. It made me jump a couple of times.

This game picks up the STORY a year after the events of the first. Our crazy half-sister, who tried to kill us last time, has ESCAPED from the asylum, and we can only assume we are again in danger. Luckily, Dad’s old friend the General is there to whisk us off to the safety of the nearby ARMY BASE.

But really WEIRD STUFF starts happening even before we’re through the gates, and we crash just outside of them. The GENERAL is unconscious and we go off looking for help. Soon the HALLUCINATIONS that caused the accident start again. But now we discover their SOURCE. An apparently ordinary FILM PROJECTOR. If you’ve played the other game, you’ll know immediately where this is going. If not, you’ll soon catch up.

I prefer the GAMEPLAY of this one over Final Cut 1. It is EASIER on the old brain cells. HO SCENES are INTERACTIVE LIST, or you can try your hand at MATCH 3 instead. All the objects are CLEAR & LARGE, and the scenes not overly cluttered.

The PUZZLES so far I have found REASONABLY EASY, and include ones that I’ve seen before but only in other games by this developer.

The ADVENTURE is logical, but interesting. It is made TRICKY by a wonderful trick I love to see. Remember those HALLUCINATIONS? Well, once we learn how to shut them down, we have 2 VISUAL OPTIONS for each LOCATION. The ability to use items from one to the other greatly increases the complexity (and interest) of the GAMEPLAY.

COLLECTIBLES include MORPHING OBJECTS, film strips, and lucky clovers. There are also ACHIEVEMENTS. Other CE EXTRAS are wallpapers, music, SG, Bonus Game, replayable HOs and puzzles, and a “special bonus chapter”, which is secret.

This is another PREMIUM QUALITY game from this developer.

I recommend this game!

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jul 14, 13 6:58 PM
I have to say I was a little chary with this game at first but while I was playing it I realized I was wrong. This game is really a good one, in my opinion surpasses the first and definitely deserves the CE title as it has many extra features.
If you manage to find all the film strips, it has other collectibles also, you'll be able to play a bonus little game, which I thought it was funny, there is a bonus secret chapter which I found hilarious and once more watching the credits is a delightful experience. It's not only the great sense of humor these people have that makes you laugh but the self sarcasm as well. They're unbelievable!
Bravo Eipix once again!

Edited on 08/20/2013 at 9:47:52 AM PST

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Jul 16, 13 10:24 PM
WOW! Best in a long time!
Morphing objects
film strips
clovers
achievements
quirky secret game

LOVED IT! have not played the bonus yet...GREAT JOB DEV's!!!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jul 18, 13 2:38 PM
Loved this game. I agree with all of the positive reviewers. Great graphics, voices were good and the storyline kept me addicted to keep playing. I would definitely give this game a try.

Loved how long this game was I feel like I got my monies worth on this CE.

Happy gaming

jaxxgirl
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jaxxgirl on Jul 19, 13 8:09 PM
Count me as one of those who LOVED this game.

I thought it was well done in every aspect, and never before have I literally "laughed out loud" reading the credits.

Looking forward to more from this group.

[Post New]by jenovatrix on Jul 19, 13 10:19 PM
I got this for free with game credits, I don't buy CE normally. I really liked the first Final Cut so this one was a must for me. I found the whole 'switching worlds' concept a little odd at first but once it's explained it's not too weird. I've read stories with more unbelievable premises than this The Eipix studio 'tour' was adorable. I think I might have a tiny crush on Vladimir, you can't not love a guy with a sense of humor who likes cats!

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Jul 19, 13 10:24 PM
I too really enjoyed the game, and I'm very glad that I bought the CE. The Bonus game was well done, in my opinion, because it tied everything together. I also enjoyed the use of real actors, as well as the tour of Eipix. The morphing of cats to people was awesome! Changing from 'real time' into 'movie mode' was unique and enjoyable. The only problem that I encountered was that the full screen cut off the sides of the game so I wasn't seeing the entire scene. I've never noticed that before with other games. I usually forget about the extras, like the morphing objects, because I get caught up in the storyline and game play. Great and creative work, Devs, and thank you, BF!

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Jul 23, 13 7:24 AM
great game, great fun and great value for money, well done to the developers, they made an excellent game

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 27, 13 5:10 PM
Didn't quite finishe the Demo. I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I didn't like the graphics, the story didn't "grab" me and all in all a no buy for me. I have the first one, and was quite entertained, but this one is a pass for me.

feenix

Eucritta
Minnow
Minnow
204 Posts

[Post New]by Eucritta on Jul 28, 13 12:40 PM
Based on complete game incl. bonus bits.

This is - IMHO - an excellent game. There's lots to do, as others have pointed out, but even better there's lots of story, and it's both suspenseful and tight - I was kept guessing who to trust, and by the conclusion of the bonus game (which really is supplementary, and not just another chapter) there are no obvious loose ends. I found the conclusions satisfying, too, both of them, but the bonus game's ending is also a bit heartwarming, which I really didn't expect even though, in retrospect, there'd been some clues.

All in all, it was a lot like reading a good mystery novel, with the added pleasure of things to do and puzzles to solve along the way. And a quick visit to the writers, which was amusing - nice to finally see some faces to put to names, and I liked the cats too.

Best casual game I've played this year to date, hands down.

skippystwin
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by skippystwin on Oct 15, 13 3:31 PM
I really liked this game. Very innovative. Kept my attention. I liked all the screen play. The clip at the end was really funny - cats, cats. I've played all the other games by this developer and can't wait for the next one.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Nov 24, 13 2:03 PM
LOVED the game; I was totally charmed by the beautiful graphics and obvious love of art deco artwork and era, great fun story, love the live actors...etc(and all the cats...lololol! )

Others have given very comprehensive reviews, so I just want to add my enthusiastic two thumbs up!

Looking forward to the next final cuts game!!!

PS To those who didn't bother to view the credits; DO!!!
Don't miss the studio tour, either....lol

Quickie
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Quickie on Feb 20, 14 6:47 PM
I hope all CE buyers watched the Secret Eipix chapter. Too, too funny! Good looking Vlad and cats. Previous was not a spoiler.

Go to: