tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jul 19, 13 1:10 AM
I finished the game a little while ago. Although it has some features that I usually don't like too much, like real characters instead of animated, I have to say it was really great, totally deserving the CE's title. A great addition to the previous "Mystery Trackers", maybe even the best of the series.
Since most has already been said, I'd like to add that I was really impressed with the way developers found, to give you the motive, after finishing the bonus chapter, to revisit and replay hidden object scenes and puzzles respectively, although you've already played them. I found it very imaginative.
Congrats to Elephant!

Edited on 07/19/2013 at 1:22:36 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jul 19, 13 3:08 AM
I am a fan of mystery trackers saga, but this one overlaps all of its! Great sound efxs, goergeous graphics, awsome minigames, bright and vivid colors, engaging story, good map and S G, 4 different levels of difficulties, I am playing in advance mode, achievements and pets, to whom you can purchase amenities and little rewards! It has all, so I certanly will get the CE, which (to my opinion) is among the top ten best games of this year, so far!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 19, 13 5:45 AM
This game never fails to amaze me, its just keeps getting better and more fun!

Again interactive map, lots of new stuff like fire, hynoptic ability. And interactive hos, fun mini puzzles. The hint is kinda of like me, slightly helpful and yet tutorial in nature also may be smirking in nature. I LOVE it, It goes "scientific research has shown that the best way to get coal into the train, is to use a shovel" (Sounds like a real me, quirky, slightly tangy in tone)

LOVE LOVE LOVE

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Jul 19, 13 1:15 PM
what happen to games like the first ravenhurst,and diregrove?

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jul 19, 13 2:04 PM
GLITCH ALERT- quite a few players along with me had an issue with the pyrotechnic burning hand remaining on the screen covering up part of the inventory. I only played the demo & as I was finishing a second burning hand appeared over the inventory!! It seems a lot of players really enjoyed the game but I fail to agree with their enthusiasm. The devs took great poet license with the story mixing continents (USA sheriff/bar with European castle/phonebox )& then throwing in the supernatural for good measure. I've found the supernatural/dead people/witches etc. story lines have become tedious, boring & redundant. There was also the usual junk pile HOG's & mini-puzzles with little or no direction. The graphics weren't too bad & the characters looked real enough but their mouths didn't move when they spoke. Until the glitch is fixed this is a definite NO BUY for me!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 19, 13 3:14 PM
Like all Mystery Trackers ganes it is good....very good! I played the hour demo and did use the SG, which I thought helpful, and the hints, which gives a written instruction of where to go and what to do next. Which is ok, but if you don't know where something is, like the display case, which I obviously didn't know, you can't go much further because you don't have all three fingerprints.

I must be really out of it allow the entire demo time to expire and still be looking for the display case. Other than that, everything about the game is terrific, music included. I definitely recommend this game and if I can swing it, I'll get it. Maybe they'll be a sale this week-end and I could save a ffew bucks.

So if someone woiuld PM me about this elusive display case, I might fork over the cash.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 19, 13 6:24 PM
On the bottom right hand side near the train station

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jul 20, 13 7:55 AM
Disclaimer: I finished the main game

As the fifth game in the series, I found it much better than Void and Four Aces (which I never finished, I hated it that much) but nowhere near as good as Raincliff or Black Isle.

I found this to be a very linear, short game. You mostly move forward in this game and if you backtrack, it's one or two scenes. Some might like this but I don't mind backtracking and moving about the game world. If I have to move back six scenes, at least give me things along the way to get or do. I really dislike linear games. There's a map but it doesn't matter since you're never wandering very far.

Your (lockable!!!!!) inventory is never overly full and you will often use these items soon after collecting them. Mainly because the game is so linear.

There are four games modes; I played on Detective mode. It has the usual Expert features but with the added difficulty of few black bar tips and your cursor doesn't change when you hover over things (I did see a magnifying glass). I enjoyed this feature because it makes the game incredibly difficult although it probably made the game longer (remember I found this game short). I was often guessing and unsure what to do next, which is a positive. I was stumped many times and used the guide a couple of times. And there were some red herrings (spoiler: after finally getting the key, I opened a drawer but it was too dark to see in. I figured I needed to power the flashlight but I was wrong. I liked that.)

The cutscenes were odd. Live actors were used however when you clicked to talk to them, their cutscenes consisted of a still frame and a voice-over. Why? I found it really off-putting.

The few puzzles had repeats and ones you see often. This was very disappointing as I prefer more puzzles to HOs, although to be fair, there weren't a lot of HOs and they were quick to complete. I'd prefer a Match 3 option.

I don't know the point of collecting Ducats since the game seemed to forget about them after the first hour. And it's not like I could buy anything for the game (at least I wasn't dressing a dog again).

The "collectibles" were not fun as I prefer morphing objects or frogs, etc. These were just as bad as Four Aces. I also don't know why I couldn't go to Achievements or the Store from the Menu options.

I would have enjoyed this more as a SE since it's short and there's not much in the way of collectibles.

Edited on 07/20/2013 at 8:14:32 AM PST

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jul 20, 13 12:59 PM

[Post New]by sollys on Jul 18, 13 7:01 AM

The download took 4 minutes. The game operated smoothly. It is a terrific game. Makes you think even with the strategy guide. I own the 4 previous Mystery Trackers which were all great playing and this 5th installment is no exception!!! I loved this game & all the cute animals. Elephant Games never have failed me before so I bought this game instantly!!!!!!!!!!

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Jul 21, 13 7:43 PM
Just finished. Really enjoyed it -- clever writing! Went on and on, too, plenty of play for the money. Nice long bonus chapter (NOT necessary for basic game, a separate story, for those considering the SE later). And then an extra activity after the bonus chapter. Whew!

I didn't care about the animals and REALLY didn't care about buying stuff for the dog or the hint frog. I wish the coins had been useful for something game related. I'm just not into this cutesy pet trend. Seriously.

Glad to see Elf again, but I miss him being part of the story and not just a tool. Maybe next game he could be put at risk again so we could rescue him ... again.

However, the art was beautiful, the game play was interesting, the voice acting was very good, the music was good.

I'm glad I bought it. Great game.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Jul 21, 13 7:49 PM
@ tophen: You're talking about Mystery Case Files games. Different game series from Mystery Trackers.

Molyz7
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Molyz7 on Jul 22, 13 12:23 AM
BronzeLady wrote:Others have commented on all the features in the game, so I making a comment on the game play itself. I think I just experienced the fastest hour of my life, or free trial, which ever we got. I rarely play a new game past 15 min. By then I know if I want to buy the game or not. But this time I was so engrossed in the game's activities that I had forgot to monitor the time and had timed out. The graphics are gorgeous and it's an exciting game to play.

One comment tho to the devs .. I hate having my name in all CAPS. I have never seen this subject addressed, so maybe I alone find this irritating. Thx for a gr8 game .. it's a def buy for me.

I hate my name in all CAPS too! As if I didn't know how to type it... Naw.

Also agree that this is a fantastic game, a definite buy for me too.

Swim safely fishies!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 22, 13 7:50 AM
sadly this is the only thread that's given to the DEV for feedback so here is my feedback to them on finished game

Dear Elephant...

If I apologise for commenting in reviews in the past about lip synch in live actors will you bring them back? Pretty please? I was trying to be positive in the comments thread but I hope you take all this as constructive criticism. I don't think the static cutscenes go with the live actors and I much prefer your usual cutscenes in the past games than this new type. You did mostly sort out the lip synch issues in the past (and it was always more the lips moving but no sound or vice versa than language differences). I adore the live actors that you're known for, as you do them the best, seamlessly interactive and they do go with your type of sharp graphics (other devs use faded hand drawn graphics that they don't go with but you don't thankfully.)

While I appreciate 2 different types of collectables I'd prefer one type of a lot of them and harder like raincliff and black aisle than 2 lots of really easy ones with not many to collect. 4 aces had more money and harder to get all the money than this.

Puzzles - can you please rehire the person who did the different type, good level of hardness in the first surface and your older games (after all they are called puzzles and should take some 'puzzling' to work out. Putting a skip button on a keypad with the code right next to it, I just don't get (who needs a skip button on that, it makes look like there are quite a few puzzles in this game when there aren't and the ones there are, have all been used often in your previous games or others and most so easy, it's boring.)

I like the amount of hos in this, well done, it would be good to see the inventory interactions back on them as well though.

I could do without all the gimmicks in the games - helper, abilities, annoying photo taking but I can look past all that if everything else is there. If the time spent with the photo taking was put into fleshing out the good plot more, I personally think it would have been better as I wanted more of morpheus or backstory.

tbc

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 22, 13 7:51 AM
continued

Apart from the abilities I did really enjoy the gameplay but I wasn't loving it, the game is nowhere near as good as raincliff (which I've just replayed last month) and black aisle and I overall enjoyed 4 aces more than this one although it's still good. Although thankfully far better than some of your recent games like chimera (so easy, OTT with creatures/chaacters and plot all over the place) and crystal slipper.

Maybe if the puzzles were harder the game would have taken longer as this is short for you.

As it's been so long since for my taste I've gotten a 5 star game from you (yes I'm mean with them I know) I was beginning to think it was me, a bit jaded, maybe I've grown past HOPAs as most devs think everyone want easy puzzles and a bit easy gameplay; but recently playing raincliff, and now playing the first surface I'm not, I just prefer those older style games. No gimmicks, animals, straightforward good gripping plot, and surface the perfect game - perfect level of hardness and interesting puzzles, not too hard but not easy either. Unique and different and not easy gameplay, it's still my all time favourite hopa.

I don't know why you are departing from the style and level of hardness etc from your classics, maybe those that want easy puzzles are the ones giving feedback but some of us like puzzles that you have to take time at - not just a couple of them, this isn't listed as a ihog but a hopa. Some of us like a bit harder puzzles and in fairness to others who don't, I'm just asking for the level in the first surface. I'd prefer all the puzzles to be more medium to medium/hard than to have most so easy and about 2 harder.

If you had live actors in all cutscenes (no static scenes - put more info into journal or letters etc), harder or more unique puzzles, harder and more collectables, fleshed out the plot more (and I did really like the plot) not have the abilities I'd have put this up there. But even though I enjoyed it, and I appreciated all the extras, sorry I just didn't feel it was as good as raincliff and black aisle. Good but not great. Still a lot better than half the drivel of other DEVS CEs.

Edited on 07/22/2013 at 7:59:21 AM PST

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Jul 22, 13 11:45 PM
BronzeLady wrote:Others have commented on all the features in the game, so I making a comment on the game play itself. I think I just experienced the fastest hour of my life, or free trial, which ever we got. I rarely play a new game past 15 min. By then I know if I want to buy the game or not. But this time I was so engrossed in the game's activities that I had forgot to monitor the time and had timed out. The graphics are gorgeous and it's an exciting game to play.

One comment tho to the devs .. I hate having my name in all CAPS. I have never seen this subject addressed, so maybe I alone find this irritating. Thx for a gr8 game .. it's a def buy for me.

I thought this was an excellent game too, I have been longing for a new Elephant game, but I also hate my name in CAPS, thought it was just me, It's a silly little thing but annoying.

Linda

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 26, 13 4:49 AM
We are loving this game . we got it and have been playing all day , now we cant wait to get back into the game . we give this game a 5 out of 5 . can not find a better game than this one.--
The graphics are GREAT - just the way we like them. the game is fun and interesting. -----doug & lisa-------------

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jul 29, 13 8:14 PM
I've always enjoyed these Mystery Tracker games...not the easiest in the world...a lot of things to remember to do, but that is what makes it fun. Not into achievements and all, but for those who like all those little things it has some fun things. Interesting HOS and mini games...fast hint and skip, great graphics and voice-overs...all the best. Game ends so the SE can stand alone if purchased.

Bonus game was a good length and interesting, but ended really dumb like the devs just got tired and quit....so that was not worth it (only drawback to the whole game).
5 out of 5 and would recommend it as an SE for sure.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 29, 13 8:35 PM
Hapless wrote:
BronzeLady wrote:(clipped)

I thought this was an excellent game too, I have been longing for a new Elephant game, but I also hate my name in CAPS, thought it was just me, It's a silly little thing but annoying.

Linda

Add me to those who get annoyed at having my game playing name in UPPERCASE.
I also have more respect for devs that enable two-word names with a space between them.

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Aug 2, 13 5:39 AM

This game has so many things going on at once and so many layers, that I have to stress that this is a game that cannot possibly be properly reviewed unless the entire game is completed.

The reason I say that is that after you finish the regular game, you still have far more to do.

Even after you finish the bonus game, you still have far more to do.

If one has played only the demo, there is so much about the game that they don't know and there is no way they can know what lies ahead.

I thought it was an incredible game; very different from the other Mystery Trackers. To all developers – this is how you take an age-old series and keep it fresh without losing what made the series great in the first place.

I can't imagine anyone not loving this game, and I don't hand out compliments easily on these boards.

I just loved this game and highly recommend it to my fellow fishies.

Edited on 08/02/2013 at 11:53:27 AM PST

[Post New]by georgi101 on Aug 12, 13 7:02 PM
this was a fantastic game beautiful grapics but what the heck the ending was so abrupt I could not believe it there is no end.......

Go to: