Reviews for Laruaville

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

Re:Reviews for Laruaville

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Aug 15, 13 11:13 PM
I beta tested this and really disliked it. So I thought I'd try the "official" version to see if any of the things I totally hated had been changed/fixed. Nope. Same old stuff I saw in the demo.

First, the storyline. You're building a town for ghosts. Why? Have they never had a place to "live" in thousands of years of ghosthood? Has someone taken away their town or driven them out so that they have to start over? There is absolutely no backstory and no urgency to get the job done before the villain lowers the boom. The story could also have taken a turn where the ghosts won over the nearby living villagers so they wouldn't have to leave again, to make it more G-rated. That would at least have given kids the message that you don't have to hate someone just because he's different from you.

Second, the gameplay mechanics. The coins don't move. That is never, ever stated in the tutorial and it takes a lot of getting used to. You're not making matches using the coins, you have to make matches next to them. Hm. Then you have to figure out on the fly if you have coins that need water to put out the fire or coins that need to be got out from under vines or coins that need to be melted out of ice blocks or coins that need bombs to get them out of stone structures or what before you can start. No strategy, just click and hope for the best, because columns don't advance beyond coins.

Third, the speed at which the game progresses. You get so many obstacle types thrown at you at once you don't know which is which or what's coming next. At least let me play two or three levels with hot coins before you switch it up with bombs and it takes 15 more levels before I see a hot coin again.

Fourth, the rewards. You earn only the number of coins on a level. No bonuses. It's totally predictable how many levels it takes to get the next building. And they're no reward. The game just puts them wherever it wants to and there's no choice in style or color.

There are so many other good games out there with better graphics, better storyline, clearer gameplay and better rewards for your work. I'd recommend any of them in place of this one.

BBB10
Clownfish
Clownfish
715 Posts

[Post New]by BBB10 on Sep 14, 13 1:16 AM
_Angel_angel on Jul 30, 13 4:57 PM

Spinning coins are too much of a distraction.
Perhaps if they all spun all the time... but they just spin randomly, causing the eye to skip over to see what it is missing.

The coins don't travel down the board. This has a tendency to block moves that you would normally get.

Like I said, this game just doesn't do it for me.

Angel

Hi Angel,

What a great review! I totally agree with you! I thought it was just me! I love games that are bright and colourful! It's sad that there are so few of them! I don't like the ones that are haunting, dark and evil!! So I have to say that I also give it a

BBB10

Edited on 09/14/2013 at 1:23:54 AM PST

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 6, 13 3:26 PM
I don't know about other players, but I always have a 'wind-down' game. A simple game, just for fun, and not too taxing on the brain before bedtime.

Sometimes it's 'Jewel Quest' .. sometimes its 'Heroes of Hellas', and it used to be 'He Said She Said' (which I just adored, but can't play on Windows 7 some reason. I HATE Windows 7!)

Laruaville falls into this category. I LOVE it! I play it most days, and have since the day I bought it. It really cheers me up, I can't help it!

Lovely bright graphics, lots of levels, happy up-beat music, and mindless match3 fun. And I think i've completed that little town a dozen or more times.

I don't think there's any point in over analysing it, do you? Just enjoy it.It's a great little game.

Can't wait for Laruaville2.
There IS going to be a Laruaville 2, isn't there??
Jo

Go to: