Re:Reviews for Rooms of Memory

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Sep 14, 13 9:45 AM
I played for a while, and it seems all you do is go to the same HO scene again and again, then go to another HO and do it again and again. Some of the objects show only a small piece of themselves.

Between that and the constant "buy this" or "invite friends" this game is the antithesis of what I like.

EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EweJoy on Sep 17, 13 4:14 PM
If it gets to the point where I would have to spend money to play then I will, sadly, have to quit. But for now, I'm taking it slowly and playing within the limits of the rewards that can be earned by playing and have enjoyed the game but especially the people.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Sep 17, 13 5:48 PM
Totally agree with Spiritgamer and especially Fortunatus....terrible game.....there is nothing that I liked about it, too busy and am not willing to pay an arm and a leg to keep playing games such as this one.....too bad that BFG is going this way.....I certainly won't be playing these free to play games, which they are not.....way too confusing and costly.....sorry...

Mrsdayrow
Guppy
Guppy
182 Posts

[Post New]by Mrsdayrow on Sep 18, 13 4:48 PM
I like ROM very much. I think fixing the "getting neighbors" thing really helped a lot of people (myself included) want to stay with the game. This game is the most costly game I play on BF and because I enjoy it so much I will continue to play, but also I will continue to look for ways to be thrifty as I play this game. If that means not advancing as fast as others I can live with that.
Just hearing the sounds of this game makes me happy. Coming into the cellar in Daylight mode is almost like putting on a comfy old flannel shirt. I guess 'comforting' is the word I am looking for.
I really don't think the developers of this game intended for it to be stressing. But I can see how it could be to some people who LETthemselves get stressed over things they can control. And since I am the controller/player here, I will not let this game to that to me. I will sip my hazelnut flavored coffee and explore away.
I think this game just might be a keeper, if it doesn't get too costly.

GamerCouple
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by GamerCouple on Sep 22, 13 1:04 PM
I like this game overall. I'd give it three stars out of five.

RoM is a hidden-object game that has you searching "rooms" on a large estate for special objects. The game assigns you quests, like "search the study at night." Doing these searches costs "energy" (when you run out of memory, you're done until the energy recharges); they earn you experience points as well as ingame currency that let you purchase some things. Leveling allows you to access more rooms in the estate to search for more things. You also slowly earn "gems," which are a currency that allows you to purchase more energy and objects to complete quests; you can also purchase gems with real money.

The awesome:

* The art is simply stunning. Beautiful high-definition gorgeous screens in all places. Whoever did this art deserves awards. It's almost distracting. Game has a fullscreen mode. Music is evocative and not annoying at all. It can be disabled.

* I think for a freemium game it recharges about as fast as one might expect. If you need a game you can play whenever, wherever, this isn't going to be your thing, but between recharges and the frequently-awarded fast-recharge items, I haven't felt frustrated by the recharge rate.

* The screens alternate "modes," like "daylight mode," which is just a normal screen, "shadow mode," which has you looking for silhouettes instead of words, and others. It's refreshing.

* Leveling happens about as often as I think it should.

The not awesome:

* After about level 8, quests are irritatingly difficult. I've got a whole line of quests running down my screen that I don't want to or can't fulfill.

* Ghosts constantly hijack rooms and can only be chased off by buying objects to exorcise them (or earning these objects, but good luck with that).

* Obviously, buying the objects only happens with "gems." In fact you can only buy most items with gems, though some are buyable with the money you earn ingame. I think the balance with ghosts and how expensive items cost (both with gems and ingame currency) is really off here.

* I really, *REALLY* hate "jumbled word" mode. Changing modes is freakishly expensive, however. This dislike may just annoy me enough to quit playing.

Otherwise: great game, will support financially if balance is fixed and hated modes can be avoided more easily. (I'm lvl 12)

[Post New]by SpecialDeb on Sep 23, 13 10:49 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:
Miniatures1 wrote:Sorry to see Big Fish going this way these games can be quite costly!

I'm disappointed in games that lead you on with Free play and then nickel and dime you to death in order to keep going. If this is the new norm for BFG then I'll go somewhere else. They aren't the only fish in the sea. I'd rather just pay for a game and be done with it.

[Post New]by SpecialDeb on Sep 23, 13 11:05 PM
i AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! I started playing this game and really did enjoy it, HOWEVER, the game will nickel and dime you to death .... seriously! I made it to lvl 13 and now I can no longer play because I would have to "buy" a serious amount of gems/diamonds in order to get rid of the ghosts and get the items I need to fufill the quests. There's also a lack of instructions.
DON'T PLAY THIS GAME!!!! It is very addictive and like any addiction it is also very very expensive!!!!! I spent $5 - thought the gems would last HA! They were gone in just a few minutes of play. Forget that-I may try to keep playing but you won't get anymore of my money
Sorry Big Fish but you'll only lose money with this gig

DuffyPoo222
Minnow
Minnow
239 Posts

[Post New]by DuffyPoo222 on Sep 30, 13 12:18 AM
I've been playing ROM for a month or so. Quite enjoyable at first; now, not so much.

After finally saving up enough 'stuff' to open the Hobbit Hut, imagine, to my surprise, that it would close again in 3 days and I would have to start saving up 'stuff' again. Same with the Ifrit Palace.

I was thrilled to be able to finally add neighbours (apart from trying to get some radomly) but now that is overwhelming as well. I have 40 neighbours, and it takes close to 30 mins to visit/gift them all. Also, with so many neighbours who want help with feeding critters, when I try to help it freezes my game and I have to exit and start again. The same happens when I try to select a daily challenge.

My biggest frustration, though, is the quests. Search the Library in night mode and find (enter item here). So I search the room, three times, to get to the night mode only to search and not receive the item I need for the quest. So, if I have the energy, I continue to search the room, through all the modes to get back to night mode, search AGAIN, and still NOT get the item. It is tedious and BORING.

Needless to say, I'm getting close to the end of my gameplay with ROM.

[Post New]by Ruchikunal on Sep 30, 13 3:23 PM
i love playing this game and enjoying it a lot but whenever i go for battle or fight it is not working so very disappointed with this.

GamerCouple
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by GamerCouple on Oct 23, 13 4:16 PM
I wrote my review a month ago and wanted to update it a little. The stuff I liked before, I still like, but I'm still finding the balance of gems to "stuff you have to buy to meet the quests' deadlines" way off. I'm reluctant to buy gems because I know from experience how fast they go. Ghosts and other weird beasties seem to happen way too often, necessitating either a really stressful search or else the purchase of items to get rid of them (and these are weirdly expensive, of course). I'm fairly high level now, so clearly there's enough charm in the title to maintain my interest, but I'm having to blow off and ignore the time-delineated quests to make it happen. I think the only way someone can really enjoy this game is if s/he's rich or else doesn't care at all about time limits on quests and doesn't feel the need to play constantly.

I've got to say: the whole concept of "energy" annoys me mightily and always has. You'd think a game would want players to play a lot. But even at my level, a max load of energy blows pretty quickly. I find it an artificial constraint. You don't want me to play a whole lot? Fine... I won't.

missmoose
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by missmoose on Nov 10, 13 2:23 PM
When I first started playing this game (i think it was about 2 months ago, not sure, though), I was also outraged with the fact that it's announced as a free game, but they expect to sell you game money and game gems for real money, and the articles mto be bought ingame (either with "coins", the game currency, or with gems) are exorbitant, to say the least.
I liked the game, though, so I kept playing to see how far I could go without investing real money.
Well, today I turned level 100, and never bought a single coin or gem for real money. That's to say it's totally possible to enjoy the game and level up without investing your hard-earned income in the virtual currency of the game.
In the beginning, when the energy bar is fairly small and goes empty pretty quickly, it was sometimes a bit frustrating.
But by reading the forum one can learn the ways of the game, like, for instance, the Strong Talisman, which can be bought by game coins and restores the energy 40% faster, also it lasts for 12 hours, which is pretty good.
Every day one gets 5 diamonds free of charge, by day change time. Also by searching the dragon mazes one can get coins, items and more diamonds.
Even a VIP membership can be bought by saving the diamonds one earns ingame. It's the best investment for the diamonds, by the way. After I did I improved quite a lot and leveled way faster.
Another very important aspect of this game is the community, or neighborhood. One needs neighbors. By visiting the neighbor's places we get coins and xp. By helping the creatures on friend's places we get more coins and xp and once in a while one energy point. By helping the neighbors to feed their dragons also get coins and xp. And pretty much everything we do in the game gives coins and xp as rewards, and in some cases items too. Neighbors gift each other daily, and there are daily 100 gifts one is granted - free of any charge - to give his neighbors.
The people in the game and in the forum are super nice and friendly and it's really enjoyable to interact with them. They are also very helpful, and one can't really level or enjoy the game without neighbors, lots of them, the more the merrier.
On the negative side of the game, are the numerous glitches and the parts that don't work on Big Fish, like the battles.
Yet despite of the frustrating parts we're all still here and having fun. Hopefully they will fix the problems sooner rather than later. (a little bit of wishful thinking can't harm.

missmoose
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by missmoose on Dec 11, 13 1:16 PM
Elle,

in lower levels because i had few energy and the ghosts used to make me lose time (thus having to repeat the serch and thus wasting energy) i used the artifacts to chase them away (phial of darkness and whatever the other is called, can't remember right now).
add me if you want (my neighbor code is: QGFE6N), so i can help you with some pieces for the artifacts, but i probably don't have all of them in surplus, you'll still have to search for the rest on your own.

kiki5621
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by kiki5621 on Dec 20, 13 10:05 AM
Very intricate game, good graphics. Combination of Hidden Object and Adventure game. Like the social aspects of the game: friending neighbors, gifts to and from neighbors, points for visiting and helping creatures.

Big problems with game freezes and losing points or energy due to game freezes.

[Post New]by suzieqsw on Dec 22, 13 1:47 AM
I personally love this game, for those of you who say it gets costly, if you're willing to wait your energy will refresh and also the lottery spin occurs daily, so you have a chance to win gems, energy, pearls, artifact charges, and pearls as well as a chance to win the jackpot. My only complaint for this game is that the wizard battles don't always connect, I might get a match for a duel, but after the rock, scissors, paper choosing, sometimes it hangs and never completes the loading, so I'm stuck closing out the game and restarting and losing the pearls it cost me to enter the competition, while not a big problem yet, it gets very frustrating.

But overall, I love it..

GypsyQueen1
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by GypsyQueen1 on Feb 16, 14 6:54 PM
I've been playing this game for several months now and have made it to level 425. Overall I think this game could be great but there are still way too many glitches - battles and duels freeze continuously so when you are given a task that includes any sort of magicians battle you might as well give it up. I haven't been able to move forward in the game for over a month due to the freezing battles, if you use the in game mail you will have to refresh as the game freezes, it freezes when you are trying to feed your neighbors dragons and you have to refresh, they still haven't made it compatible with explorer and it freezes in firefox as well. If they could fix these things the game would be awesome because the premise is very good.

Crow12000
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by Crow12000 on Apr 16, 14 8:07 AM
I'm a new player and I'm loving this game. I found it a bit frustrating at first due to the low energy level and the amount of gems needed to buy any item. However, once I went to the forum and read up on the gaming tips and advice that other players had posted and got some great neighbors I really got into it.

I think the graphics are fantastic and it's a good mix of explore/puzzle options. I find the ghosts and room changes challenging and really that's what I'm looking for in a game a good challenge.

I think the key for getting into the game as a new player is to not try to do all the quests and challenges on offer but to focus on learning the game and gaining experience. Since there are players of all levels playing I think it's great that they offer different challenges and quests to keep them playing.

I also don't mind running out of energy at times as I can then go and do other things with my day and come back later and play again. I love the fact that the game evolves and is not a rush to the finish.

If you want to be able to play for hours and "complete" a game you should probably buy one of the many hidden object games that are single player.

Yunice
Minnow
Minnow
278 Posts

[Post New]by Yunice on Apr 28, 14 4:30 PM
This is one of my favourite games on Big Fish. I'll just do a quick 1-10 scale review on the various components of this game.

Content: 9 - I am level 51 at the time of this review. So far, I have not felt any moment of boredom yet. Looking at the levels of some of my neighbours, which go as high as close to 400, I would say that there must be a lot of content in this game, otherwise I do not think anyone would endeavour until levels like that! I also like the part that there is always some kind of "offer" event that pushes up the entertainment meter in this game, though I must admit that it can be quite difficult to achieve some of those when a person is just starting out in the game. It took me about 40 levels before I could actually try to even complete one of those events. I guess it could be due to me being slow(didn't know about that famous wiki then) at learning when I started out.

Graphics: 9 - Beautiful graphics and some of the items actually pose some kind of challenge with the great blending into the background. It really takes one with very keen eyesight to find some of the stuff! Always good to have some challenge in any game!

Gameplay: 7 - This is the part which I am not super satisfied with. I am not sure if this is happening to many or not, but there are many instances where the game freezes up with the spinning portal after competitions, especially if the said competitions consists of 3-4 players. I have also noticed that it is impossible to send gifts via typing the name of a specific player on the full screen mode, well, for me, at least. I have to minimize my screen every time in order to do so. Letterbox in-game also seems to have some glitches where my game gets messed up after sending out a letter to someone.

Overall: 8 - I will probably review this part again in future if any of the examples I have mentioned above under the gameplay category gets fixed eventually. Keeping my fingers crossed!

All that being said, I think this is an awesome game with a wonderful community where many are willing to help one another out when it comes to answering queries, dragon feeding and the sending of gifts. I would not have been able to progress much without some of the nice people who have been willingly giving me all kinds of help when I needed some. I also think it is amazing that this game is still so popular despite it being out for quite some time; cannot say the same for most other games of the same genre.

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
430 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on May 22, 14 11:00 AM
I enjoy the game. I don't spend all day on it and have never spent any real money on it. I'm at level 46. Using the competitions and helping/visiting friends, helps to level up faster and gives me coins that I can use for tools to advance. I like the fact that the items to search change frequently and there are constantly new buildings to search as you get coins and complete tasks.

The frustration is that every time there are more than two people in a competition it crashes the page after the competition is done (rarely doesn't) and sometimes crashes before beginning. Can't play duels at all, they always crash before starting. And there doesn't seem to be any interest in the game developers fixing this problem.

[Post New]by mygirls1816 on Aug 19, 14 12:55 PM
Hello out there am I to understand correctly that some of the games will be going to download or buying them, if so then bigfish is just doing what another popular game site has done, limited online free play, you either have to download for a limited time of play or you have to buy. I'm not one to spend money on any game period they should leave well enough alone if they want to make more money I'm sure they can come up with more ways than that heck they came up with this site.

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Aug 21, 14 12:48 PM
mygirls1816 wrote:Hello out there am I to understand correctly that some of the games will be going to download or buying them, if so then bigfish is just doing what another popular game site has done, limited online free play, you either have to download for a limited time of play or you have to buy. I'm not one to spend money on any game period they should leave well enough alone if they want to make more money I'm sure they can come up with more ways than that heck they came up with this site.
You don't have to pay for anything to play this game. The online free play is limited, but really only at first. The more levels you get under your belt the more free play time you get. I haven't paid for energy to play this game since about the first week, when I didn't know any better and thought I had to pay for energy.

Edited on 08/21/2014 at 1:09:44 PM PST

Go to: