Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

Re:9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek

[Post New]by Sept24 on Aug 4, 13 10:00 PM
I loved the demo, but agree that waiting till Monday for the extra punch just makes sense. I'm another who hates, hates, hates spiders, but can usually deal with them in a game, altho I sometimes get really freaked out by the fact that they have them crawling across and around in the background sort of on the screen and that is awful and I wish they wouldn't do that. Snakes, no big deal. I can't wait to continue on with this game, I thought it was unique and really a fun game.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 4, 13 11:40 PM
Glad to help sprattie.

I'm actually totally phobic of snakes in RL, and unfortunately have had too many experiences involving them (rural Australia, can't avoid 'em), but this game while it has a few was not really creepy with them.

As long as they're not hanging down from the tree tops, and crawling around by the dozen in front of me I can usually handle them in a game.

These ones are more realistic, say, than the ones in 1000 Doors 3, but not as bad as some games (which is why I rated them medium creepy in my review), but mostly it's references to them and amusing stuff like the mayor's speech.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 5, 13 12:52 AM
Well, I tried the demo, and it is thoroughly CREEPY. And the snake in front of the garage was pretty realistic looking to me. {shudder} It took me a while to figure out what to do, because I was afraid to click on it - the snake. I probably don't want to go in that museum...

Nevertheless, I will get the game on the Monday double punch deal, along with Amphora and maybe another. I have to spend some expiring coupons. It really is a very good game aside from the snake theme. And it isn't all that easy, IMHO. The HOS are easy, and the puzzles not too hard. But I'm playing in the hardest mode, with NO sparkles, and finding all the stuff is a challenge.

Is anyone else having problems with the VOs skipping? I'm glad there are subtitles!

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Aug 5, 13 8:58 AM
I just finished this game and I absolutely loved it! Was a bit dubious at first with the question box parts but quickly got over that. It is scary, fun and the snakes did not bother me a bit. Did find myself trying to hurry to save people and was so sorry when I hit the end. I would recommend this game highly.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 5, 13 4:31 PM
Have really loved all of the games from Artifex Mundi and this
is no exception. Made myself wait until today to get the
bonus punch, ran my necessary errands and jumped in to
play. Have just emerged after completing in one sitting,
and I do mean ONE; no drinks, no snacks, no lunch!

Interesting story, good map, great hint system, fun
voiceovers and a brand new concept with what Caput
refers to as question box parts. Took a bit of getting used
to, but turned out to be fun.

Happy to report that while the ending is very satisfying,
it definitely is setting us up for a sequel and I can't wait.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 6, 13 12:00 AM
phatkhat wrote:Is anyone else having problems with the VOs skipping? I'm glad there are subtitles!

I have no problemssssss with the voicesssss in this game. There is no VO sssssskipping with my version.

--- --- ---

Sssssuper game !! But there is more than just the odd sssssnake here and there. And they are live onessssss....

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 6, 13 10:52 AM
I've completed the game, snakes alive!! and although it was fun while it lasted, it was a shortie for sure - lasted me just under 4 hours with no puzzle skips or running in the halls. I got the feeling that the writers ran out of steam and just ended the game right there... with the promise of a sequel. I was all ready to be grossed out further by the stumpy Sheriff - thinking maybe we'd even find his arm, or get to see him try out his prosthesis/implant/regrown limb. Maybe that'll be in the sequel. Don't know why he creeped me out so much!

The HOs were very easy and tame. Too bad we didn't have the "finished an HO scene in 30 seconds" achievements here. I'd have earned that one for sure. The puzzles were fun but again very, very easy. I liked the clue-solving idea with the reconstructed crime scenes, but it was all done for us, with no challenge but to wait for the story to tell itself.

I was a bit shocked at the terrible level of English grammar in the game. "I seen that" is just a ridiculous oversight - no one who's finished kindergarten says that. The non-verb "gonna" also makes me flinch, wince and blanch.

Bit of a spoiler here:

As usual, the interesting characters were the baddies, and the good guys just cyphers. Helen? Not much to her at all. The green-shirted role-shifting Owen was... not much, didn't even want to tell his side of the story at the end. What's with that?

Someone on the BF forum gives, I think, little piggies or something, to rank games. I think I'll give this one 3 valves out of 5 - I'd give it a 4, but we already had to find 2 valves during the course of the game and that was 2 too many. Oh dear, here's Sprattie, campaigning against valves again.

Oh well, it was a fun game while it lasted and certainly worth the free credit I spent on it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 6, 13 6:30 PM
I have finished the game as well, and loved it.

Did anyone else notice that the same HOS were used in different locations? There was one in a certain place (can't remember now where), and when I went into the Mausoleum and opened the stone coffin, the exact same HOS came up.

On other occasions, the HOS were slightly different, but the same objects had been added.

On the whole, I enjoyed doing the HOS in this game, because the items were large, the graphics were clear and clean, and it was easy (for me) to find all the hidden objects without having to use a hint.

I do hope the developers who made this game (in connection with Artifex Mundi) will do more of the same. Someone here mentioned that it was an "old" game. It was not. The game played in the 1950s, and the colours and graphics, I thought, gave just the right notion that you were in that time period.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 7, 13 9:30 PM
Valdy wrote:

Did anyone else notice that the same HOS were used in different locations? There was one in a certain place (can't remember now where), and when I went into the Mausoleum and opened the stone coffin, the exact same HOS came up.

I noticed that, too. I think that H0 was of the main character's friend's suitcase, so I just told myself that someone moved it. LoL. It was very odd to see the same scene in a very different area.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 8, 13 2:20 AM
Imberis wrote:I noticed that, too. I think that H0 was of the main character's friend's suitcase, so I just told myself that someone moved it. LoL. It was very odd to see the same scene in a very different area.

Aha !! Eagle-Eyes will be our name from this day forward. (insert an eagle's eye here)

Yes, I think you are right and it was the one in the suitcase - it was pretty much at the beginning. When I saw the duplicate HOS, I thought: what a lazy bunch, just adding the same HOS at a later time in the game. LOL

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 8, 13 4:49 PM
Valdy wrote:
Imberis wrote:I noticed that, too. I think that H0 was of the main character's friend's suitcase, so I just told myself that someone moved it. LoL. It was very odd to see the same scene in a very different area.

Aha !! Eagle-Eyes will be our name from this day forward. (insert an eagle's eye here)

Yes, I think you are right and it was the one in the suitcase - it was pretty much at the beginning. When I saw the duplicate HOS, I thought: what a lazy bunch, just adding the same HOS at a later time in the game. LOL

Hahaha! I did think it was sort of a copy-and-paste kind of a job. It was weird how the scene was laid out exactly the same as it was in the hotel. It drives me crazy having to do the same scene several times, let alone the same one in a different location!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Aug 8, 13 5:06 PM
Imberis wrote:
Valdy wrote:

Hahaha! I did think it was sort of a copy-and-paste kind of a job. It was weird how the scene was laid out exactly the same as it was in the hotel. It drives me crazy having to do the same scene several times, let alone the same one in a different location!

That scene threw me for a loop, too, until I thought about it. Then I realized that it was the friend's suitcase and the hotel keeper (whose name I forgot) did move it.

Remember in the beginning when he saw that you had the suitcase and threw you out of the room so he "could clean it"? He realised that evidence of Helen was left in the room, after he denied that she'd been there. He wouldn't let you see the guest register, either, because her and Joe's names were there. So, he took the suitcase and other items and hid them in his stash in the crypt before letting you back into the room. So, you were right, Imberis.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 8, 13 6:00 PM
Hmmm... that could be the reason, Burf90. If that was the case, I wish we would have been made aware of it. When whatshername opened the lid of the coffin, she should have said to herself: "oh... there is Helen's suitcase". Then it would have made more sense seeing double.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Aug 8, 13 6:04 PM
Valdy wrote:Hmmm... that could be the reason, Burf90. If that was the case, I wish we would have been made aware of it. When whatshername opened the lid of the coffin, she should have said to herself: "oh... there is Helen's suitcase". Then it would have made more sense seeing double.

That would have been a much better way to handle it. I thought I was losing my mind - and I don't have all that far to go to lose it...

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 9, 13 2:49 PM
burf90 wrote:
Valdy wrote:Hmmm... that could be the reason, Burf90. If that was the case, I wish we would have been made aware of it. When whatshername opened the lid of the coffin, she should have said to herself: "oh... there is Helen's suitcase". Then it would have made more sense seeing double.

That would have been a much better way to handle it. I thought I was losing my mind - and I don't have all that far to go to lose it...

LoL! They definitely should have made a little mention or something so it didn't look so odd.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Aug 9, 13 8:49 PM
Howdy folks!! Just a friendly reminder to label your posts as spoilers, or white out text that may contain spoilers. I see an awful lot of spoilers in the posts in this thread, SPOILERS: Mostly about characters like Black (the hotel keeper) but most especially about the Mayor. Some folks may not have played the game yet, or not yet finished it, and might not want the fun of discovering these things for themselves to be ruined! (Not me, though, I've already completed it.)

Thank you so much!!

[Post New]by sparrowdj on Aug 31, 13 8:07 PM
Can someone please tell me where to find the match or something to light the candle in the fortune teller area? I cannot find it. Thank you.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Sep 1, 13 2:07 PM
I'm not sure this is what you are refering to but in a HOG that I played (that needed candles lit) there was a box of matches on the table. I clicked on it and got a lit match.

Go to: