tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek

[Post New]by tammytheo on Aug 6, 13 5:51 PM
I wasn't sure about this game so I decided to rely on comments, made by some experienced reviewers, that recommended it and I finally got it by using one of my punch card coupons. I must say that I haven't regret it and it is indeed a good game. Not the best game from Artifex Mundi of course but good enough for someone who wants a few hours of "investigating a mysterious case" gaming or wants to use a punch card coupon before it expires.

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 9:24:54 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 8, 13 7:18 PM
Okay, back from vacation and ready to catch up and play. What a surprising game. Yes, the characters are very cartoony, and the dialogue is quite silly, e.g. I think I need to get out of the car...really? The graphics are quite nice, clear and vibrant colors. Game play is very good. Nice voice overs, even the silly comments.

Very fast hint recovery. This hint system is very helpful, so you really don't need a walkthrough on this one. Lots of HOGs, but they fit this game. Very clean and easy to find objects. Games are not difficult but do take some thought to complete. Nice jump map (always helpful).

I finished the demo with 28 minutes of game play left, so don't know how short or long this one may be. This game is not extremely challenging, but it is different and I found it to be fun and a refreshing change from all the CE games we have had lately. No, it did not make me want to run right out and buy it, but as I said, it was fun, so I will use a credit to get this one.

I think this will appeal to all levels of players. It is pretty much a straight HOG, but sometimes you just need a game like this one. Off to buy and play....

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 9, 13 5:20 PM
Finshed playing the Demo - don't think I will buy yet. I certainly wasn't overly impressed with this game. Didn't like the graphics at all, too many HOS and the Mayor was acting very sssssusssssssssspicious! As other reviewers have mentioned, it is an easy game and on top of the other things mentioned above, I don't think I will be using a punch card credit on this one.

feenix

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 28, 13 3:20 PM
Apparently I am one of the few who thought this game was just plain wierd, short and ridiculous. I enjoyed the humor so some extent, but the whole story was odd. HOS were easy but I found the mini games annoying and skipped almost all. The hint and skip both refresh quick. The game was visually very dark which made it not a lot of fun....for me? Maybe a 2.5 out of 5 and that is being generous.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 31, 13 3:59 PM
Finished. Awesome game. no w/t needed.

[Post New]by iman2014 on Nov 7, 13 9:50 PM
i need to stop him i stop right there how can i pass this situation i have only in my inventory wir

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Feb 11, 14 9:43 PM
I pretty much enjoyed a different (sorta) story line but just couldn't really 'get into it'.
Reviewing the excellent reviews by others will give you a good idea about the game.
Although I like to have a back-up walkthrough to refer to I really found the hint system was adequate and also started in the middle difficulty mode and got to a point where I just wanted to finish it so I switched mid game to casual mode.....Sorry fellow Fishies, it just was not my kind of game but was well worth using a PCC on to see if I'll be looking for a sequel.
I'm giving it a out of a possible 5 mostly for a different storyline...
If you like 'Detective' games , please give it a try

CJ124
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by CJ124 on Apr 26, 14 10:46 AM
sassylassie wrote:From the makers of Nightmares of the Deep comes this gem. This game was awesome, absolutely awesome. I bought this game from the devs and I don't regret it in the least. I enjoyed this game from the beginning to the end.

Story: This investigator gets a call from her friend Helen who is a news reporter saying something weird is going on in the town of Serpent Creek and Helen needs her friend's help to get her out of dodge. As she arrives at the hotel, some alien looking dude hits her car and naturally wonders what that heck that was. Then the manager of the hotel is also acting strangely. After the investigator checks in she goes to her room and that same alien dude leaves her a note, "Don't drink the Mamba". The hotel manager comes into her room and asks what went on and gives the investigator a gate key and kicks her out of her room. She goes looking around and sees everyone is a zombie like state and the story continues...

Graphics: Awesome! This team does have a top notch art team.

Music: Beautifully done. I enjoyed the music. Fit the game just right and in fact I let the credits roll a little bit just to listen to it.

Mini Games: Not too hard or easy just right.

Hint System: Awesome. I didn't use it in the H0GS, but when I need it on the outside it was great. You don't need a walkthrough with this game.

Map: Jump map. This was very useful especially later on in the game.

Kudos again to this team for a job superbly done!

I Totally Agree with this take!

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jul 11, 14 11:17 AM
9 CLUES: THE SECRET OF SERPENT CREEK
I’ve Got a Secret…
...With the really high quality games that are available to us these days, this one doesn't measure up.

Part One of Two:
This game has been in my library for several months now. I don't remember buying it. I'm guessing it was a desperation move with a fast-expiring free coupon.

I played Serpent for about 2.5 hours on a MacBook Pro with Mavericks operating system. I'm not sure how much I completed. Well that's not true. I'm finished with it. No. I didn’t finish it. I’m finished with it. With my game-site review I gave this game three stars across the board. That puts me distinctly in the minority as only 13 of 75 posted reviews were less than 4. Side note: as proof of an inflated star-system, 5 out of 7 reviewers who gave 3 stars, including myself, didn’t recommend the game. An above average star rating didn’t earn a nod….This is why I think the forums are far more reliable than the game site reviews.

Fun Factor: Because I've played some great games recently, such as Fright and Cadenza, neither of which was perfect but both of which offered some very special features, 9 Clues suffers in comparison on every level. I couldn't stop thinking about that as I played and that robbed me of what little fun I was having. Objectively, even without suffering in comparison, 9 would not measure up.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY:
Sights: This is what suffers the most. The quality of the graphics is poor. Have you watched a tv show where the camera has a filter on it and as a result everything has gauze-like fuzziness to it? That's what everything looks like in this. It's surprising to me that this is from late 2013. It seems more like something from 2010.

Sounds: Better, technically, than the video quality. A couple of voice actors do their jobs admirably. The background music is suitably creepy.

To be continued

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jul 11, 14 11:21 AM
Secret of Serpent Creek
Part Two of Two:
LEVEL OF CHALLENGE:
Both the HOS (too many of them) and the mini-puzzles (not enough of them) are way too easy and present no challenge at all. The HOS, particularly, are downright bad. They're already not good to look at, as I mention above. Subtract from that anything resembling a challenge or clever disguise or sneaky "blending" of an item with other items and you're left with a 30 second HOS.

STORYLINE:
A paranormal PI is summoned to Serpent Creek. Her friend, a reporter, is scared out of her wits. I’m pretty sure the paranormal investigator investigates the paranormal. She is not herself paranormal. When the protagonist arrives her friend is missing. She's lied to by a hotel clerk who says he's never heard of her (even though her name is written in the hotel log). The friend, it turns out, is locked up in jail and missing an amulet, along with a few brain cells. That's about as far as I got.

The developers have added what they hope is an interesting "twist" to the game: a "trail" of clues. Something, I'm not sure what, queues up a segment wherein you move around a room searching for sparkles...NINE of them...and when you get to the epicenter of each of the sparkles you click on your mouse and the location is locked as a clue. After you find all nine, the heroine of the story walks you through these cluges. This twist is supposed to add gripping excitement. In fact it's a big bore. You learn nothing interesting as a consequence of this clue collection. It's just a gimmick. So this proves Mama’s point in Gypsy: if you haven't got the goods ya gotta have a gimmick.

My advice? Slither away from this. At risk of seeming dismissive of beginners, it's a very easy game and perhaps a good first game for a beginner. A pro of almost any level of experience should find this game too easy.

A note on the “fear factor”: I love finding a great, scary game. This is not it. I’m enormously frightened by snakes. These snakes are so unreal that they are laughable and not remotely scary. So if your motivation for purchasing this game is getting a good scare, you’re going to be disappointed.

Score: Ssssssss.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Jul 28, 14 10:00 PM
quite easy and simplistic but for $2.99 it was okay.

ivorybow
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by ivorybow on Aug 5, 14 1:20 PM
Very unusual game! After playing so many hidden object games over the years, as they are a favorite, I began to see the same story too often. This game captured my attention right away with the old school art and the highly unusual story. I played on medium difficulty. The puzzles were fun, not too hard, not too easy. It was a relaxing adventure, but a serious story, not really for young children. I recommend this game for it's unique story and style of artwork, and gritty characters. I especially enjoyed the hotel clerk...a really grimy guy.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Sep 24, 14 9:41 PM
I don't know if the demo was just very short or I was just so into it that it felt short but this is a game I certainly want to buy. Can't wait to find out what happens.

Just finished the game and I loved it. It certainly had the creep factor. It did have quite a few HOS but they weren't too hard so I didn't mind them. Now I'm off to play the other 9 clues game.

Edited on 04/05/2015 at 6:08:55 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 6, 14 4:54 PM
Based on completed game:

I bought this game a long time ago but just couldn't get into it although I love herpetology. Today I tried again and it was still hard but I kept playing and suddenly I was hooked.

There is nothing complicated or fancy about the game. There are no cutesy helpers, no + inventory items, no CE bling. HOS are really too simple, even with the slight interaction. But today I found it a relief to be able to find every object easily. Puzzles are also easy but I'm not good at puzzles and so I appreciated this.

It's the storyline that is so great. Where is your friend? Who do you trust? What is going on in this town? What do snakes have to do with anything?

The characterization is great and a big part of what appeals to me.

I also enjoy the "9 clues" part. I think that is quite clever on the part of the developers. I think there are now three in this series; "The Ward" or something like that is the latest if I am not mistaken.

It's not a long game. It's fun to play to fill up an afternoon.

Happy gaming!!

Go to: