mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 10, 13 8:43 AM
Valdy wrote:
mhatfie wrote:. This game is Wunderbar. Love

After playing for just 20 minutes I knew I had to have this game. The scenery is beautiful, ( I'm partial to European locales as I spent many years of my life travelling to Europe.) The graphics are clear and sharp. Love the mechanical Bird (Mathew). Love the Dollhouse mini game. Love the Hos where you find one item and replace it to get another, and even liked finding the bugs (even though I hate bugs). This game doesn't seem to be as long as Thursday's CE but I know it will be a lot more fun. Danke Schon for this great game.

LOL I speak German so I understand what they are saying. It's quite funny.

And apart from the constant "Thanks Matthew. Together we will finish this in no time", which really doesn't need to be said every time birdy does something for me, I am loving this game. Very nicely done, very unique.

I don't mind the bugs, they are not real, just metal. And like you, I am loving everything about this game.

I agree that is probably the only thing that gets to be annoying after a while, but with a game this good, I am overlooking it LOL.
I know many words in German as my Mom was European and we spoke French and Italian. She lived in Bavaria for many years and knew some German. Called me Fraulein Maria a lot. (from sound of Music) LOL. (sorry didn't mean to get off topic from the game)

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Aug 10, 13 9:08 AM
I always think I am capable of making up my own mind, even though I love reading reviews and comments to see if others feel similar about the game. I think this time I have really been swayed by all the good reviews and comments here in this section. I often try the games out as soon as they come after midnight and sometimes I admit I am a little sleepy when I wait too late to play. I liked it, but just couldn't decide if I really needed to buy another CE or if I could wait. I did love the setting, the snow and the dollhouse mini game too. I too think this developer is a favorite of mine. With this sale I'm buying for sure and I'm not going to worry if it isn't super long as I am not a fast player and with a game like this that is so nice to look at as well as fun to play, I just take my time. Also, I am another who is sincerely phobic about bugs, especially spiders, but mechanical ones don't really faze me because they just don't have fuzzy spiders legs etc. how can you get excited without all that.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Aug 10, 13 9:51 AM
I've not been a fan of the Clockwork Tales in the past but after playing the demo maybe I need to give them a second look. I will admit the graphics are always excellent but I don't have much interest in putting mechanical things together. But this one seems very entertaining and bought it but d/l could take forever. 1.2 G took 5 hours to d/l on Thursday. The server personnel are now flipping coins to see who has to answer my calls.

Really glad to know Ms. Valdy is a lady, now I know how to address her. Her "comments" about games are invaluable and influence my decision on purchase.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 10, 13 10:08 AM
I'm surprised that with the good reviews in this thread, the first two reviews in the front page only received 2 stars each. The "other" site gives this game 5 stars. Tastes, tastes, lol!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 10, 13 12:01 PM
I'm probably going to get a slap on the hand from a mod for this but I get so annoyed when I see bad reviews from [Removed by Moderator] that announce they only played for 15 minutes. I don't feel that's enough time to have played to give a review. Anyone that announces that they played for that short of time should have their reviews removed. Grrr

Edited on 08/26/2013 at 4:15:28 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 10, 13 12:40 PM
I played the demo in expert mode without skipping any scenes and without using any hints and I still have 24 minutes left on the clock, so it's either a very short demo or a very short game. I might think about buying it on sale as I was enjoying it.

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Aug 10, 13 12:49 PM
is this game new?said i already own it when i try to play trail.said to reactive it.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 10, 13 3:26 PM
tophen wrote:is this game new?said i already own it when i try to play trail.said to reactive it.

I would go for it, see what happens.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 10, 13 3:46 PM
girlwonder wrote:Where do you find the name of the Developers of BF games? I have my favorites and don't see them on BF site.

It's in the beginning "credits," like the title screens. It usually shows the developer, then the Big Fish logo, then it will go to a cut scene or straight to the menu. Big Fish, for some reason, doesn't list the developers on the actual game pages on this site.

Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on Aug 10, 13 4:26 PM
Thanks for the information. I've played part of the demo (quite a few interruptions around here today.) and enjoy the game.

Haven't decided if I'll buy it yet or not - still on the fence. (tho more towards the buying side).

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 10, 13 6:05 PM
snapnhiss wrote:I'm probably going to get a slap on the hand from a mod for this but I get so annoyed when I see bad reviews from [Removed by Moderator] that announce they only played for 15 minutes. I don't feel that's enough time to have played to give a review. Anyone that announces that they played for that short of time should have their reviews removed. Grrr

[Removed by Moderator]

I see that several people hold a record in "the shortest gameplay ever".

I have been playing for about 3 hours now, and only just started on chapter 7. As I said before in another game forum, I never listen to others when they tell us how short a game is. I find out for myself, and usually take longer than those who say "it's too short".

Also, again, as I said before, I prefer quality over quantity, and rather say at the end of a game: "Oh, what a shame it's over", instead of "Thank goodness, it's over at last".

This game seems to have just the right length for me. In fact, I am already looking forward to playing it again (missed one of the first 11 bugs... grrr...), that's how much I enjoy playing this game.

Edited on 08/26/2013 at 4:16:07 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 10, 13 6:58 PM
For those peeps who can't find the bonus chapter: When you have finished with the main game, go back to the Main Menu, click on "Play", and choose "Ink's Story".

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Aug 10, 13 8:23 PM
I actually really enjoyed this game! I agree with the earlier poster who said there was "something" about it. I think it doesn't feel like the same ol' same ol'. Yes, it really is basically the same, but there were a few interesting puzzles and it wasn't straight HOPs, they mixed those up really well - in fact, I never once thought to myself "Oh no, another HOP!"

Of course, Achievements and Collectibles should pretty much be standard for any CE these days, and sure enough, they are here! I greatly enjoyed reading the descriptions of the steam bugs! In fact, I was a little disappointed that I couldn't access the descriptions once the game was over as there were a few I hadn't read yet.

Jump-map with active locations is also a must-have with me in CEs and this one did not disappoint. In Advanced mode that is, I would have played Expert as I dislike sparkles in any form, but you don't get active zones on the map in Expert- arg! My next must-have in CEs is going to be custom play levels, that should become a standard as well!

It wasn't the longest game, I'm not positive how long it took me, somewhere close to 4 hours, but I had many interruptions during that time, so I believe it was actually less than that. The bonus was VERY short. Again, not positive on the time, but it felt like 30 minutes, though it could have been more. I just remember the Achievement for completing the bonus game popped up right before the last scene and I thought "whoa! I finished it already??!"

I had one puzzle in the bonus that was maddening! It was the SPOILER....phonograph puzzle....which looked fairly simple, but I kept having to redo it over and over until I finally checked the SG and as far as I could tell, I was solving it correctly, but it was verrrrry particular about placement. I almost skipped it, but somehow finally figured it out, though I still am not sure of what the minuscule difference was!! Maybe it was just me/my game, but grrrrrr, it was frustrating!

Overall a great way to relax for a few hours!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 10, 13 8:32 PM
Penny1942 wrote:Really glad to know Ms. Valdy is a lady, now I know how to address her. Her "comments" about games are invaluable and influence my decision on purchase.

--- --- ---

I just finished the Bonus chapter, and it took me 45 minutes, and that is with skipping several puzzles. The main game took me about 3 1/2 to 4 hours give or take a minute (didn't use s stop watch and played the game over two days), which is plenty enough time for me. Anything longer and I will probably get bored. And bonus games usually always take me about 45 minutes, give or take a minute.

I very much enjoyed the game, the main game and the bonus game, and this is one of those rare games that I actually am looking forward to replay. (Didn't get all the bugs in the first part and in the last part. grrr). LOL

Edited on 08/11/2013 at 4:00:10 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 11, 13 2:18 AM
cottoncandy2 wrote:I played the demo in expert mode without skipping any scenes and without using any hints and I still have 24 minutes left on the clock, so it's either a very short demo or a very short game. I might think about buying it on sale as I was enjoying it.

Perhaps because it's not a demo, it's a sample. With a demo you will usually get 60 minutes but a sample will end wherever the developer chooses, regardless of how long a player takes to get there.

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on Aug 11, 13 3:02 AM
I am having to rely on all your reviews to make my mind up on this one as the demo/sample was so short it is not easy to make an informed decision. When buying a CE I only take into consideration the length of the game and bonus content as I have no interest in the other add-ons. This one sounds a little short although the majority of you have said how much you have enjoyed the content......... still on the fence - but it is discounted after all.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Aug 12, 13 8:15 AM
Boy do I feel slow! I've been playing these games for years and I think I have finished a demo in less than 1 hour only once.

Thanks for the reviews gmac and valdy. I sometimes miss little things in the game and am grateful to you both for pointing them out for us.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 12, 13 9:32 AM
I'm not really sure if this is a short game, or if I was enjoying it so much it just seemed that way. I would recommend it and look forward to more games like this one. Fun puzzles, great character interaction,

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 13, 13 5:45 AM
Ok. ok. I will go back in and try this game again.... against my dislike for bugs'... seriously...I HATE EM'
I also want to add, I sincerely appreciate all of you that take the time to give your opinion/review.That is some good sharing!

Went back into the game and found it has a lot more to offer. Thanks again guys for your opinions, it was that little' black crawly thing' that turned me off

Edited on 08/13/2013 at 6:06:42 AM PST

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 23, 13 6:01 PM
Very pleasant game, heard some interesting accents and found some challenging puzzles. The steampunk thing is wearing a little thin for me, but everything seemed to fall into the correct time frame (no cell phones or modern language).

Best of all, I can now call myself a Master Debugger. Can't wait to drop that one at church ladies' tea on Sunday!

Go to: