shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening: The Sunhook Spire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 19, 13 8:12 PM
I own all of the "Awakening" games and have for the most part enjoyed them. But unfortunately this is not going to be one of them. I find the graphics sub-par and the story so far (trial period) has been confusing. The strategy guide is hard to access and too time consuming to find what I wanted. Yes, it is "cute" and the dragon friend is warm and sweet, but that's not enough. I felt as if the developers had just phoned this one in, relying on fan loyalty. No buy for me.
There is one good thing. The "sound" that is made when you finish a task. It triggers found memories of games past but that's it!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Aug 20, 13 1:11 AM
shripch wrote:I own all of the "Awakening" games and have for the most part enjoyed them. But unfortunately this is not going to be one of them. I find the graphics sub-par and the story so far (trial period) has been confusing. The strategy guide is hard to access and too time consuming to find what I wanted. Yes, it is "cute" and the dragon friend is warm and sweet, but that's not enough. I felt as if the developers had just phoned this one in, relying on fan loyalty. No buy for me.
There is one good thing. The "sound" that is made when you finish a task. It triggers found memories of games past but that's it!

I must disagree with you Shripch, I too have all the Aweking series, and I actually found this one among the best of the sequel, they have really overcome themselselves with the fantasy theme and outstanding graphics! I agree with you about the S G, for which you have to get to the menu to view, the minigames are awsome, the colors are vibrant and sunny, but I am basing myself only by playing the demo: if you already finish the game and it was disaponting to you, I would like to know why, beside the reasons you already mentioned, to me this game is a surclass, 5 +

dramajunkie
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,641 Posts

[Post New]by dramajunkie on Aug 20, 13 3:34 PM
This installment makes me as happy as the rest of one of my favorite series. Upside is new takes on HOS - lots of interaction on the list ones - and diverse mini-games. I found instructions clear for the most part and challenging enough for me.
The glassworks game was fun as a bonus.

Downside is how to get into the SG ==utterly ridiculous the number of steps to get in and out.
As far as I can tell - I played the whole game - the "bonus chapter" is actually what is listed as chapter 6. Without it, the game ends abruptly and unsatisfactorily. If the SE doesn't have it, sorry to those who wait.

Another cliffhanger ending even after chapter 6. Hopefully another is in the works.

I hope I missed the real bonus game. Valdy has said there is something about her friends turning against her. I didn't see any bonus-bonus game. Maybe I'm wrong?

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Annoying game!

[Post New]by kpajak on Aug 21, 13 12:06 PM
Wow I thought I was loosing it! Glad to know I'm not the only one that finds this game annoying. The hint is worthless, the mini games left me feeling like an idiot!
Hopefully the next game will be easier to follow!

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Aug 22, 13 9:50 PM
Thanks guys, and LOL, I thought I was losing it (worse than usual I mean! )

I have been playing this game over the last two nights and got so annoyed with it, I stopped, uninstalled it and was feeling like maybe I hadn't tiredhard enough to like it. I got so tired of hitting the"hint" button to find out what I was supposed to do, because things just weren;t very clear. The puzzles, as someone so eloquently put it, were "incomprehensible." Graphics were nice but blurry. I got tired of walking into an area and getting 10 things I couldn't do, work, activate, see, open or pick up yet. It all seemed like an old, stiff game. Perhaps my brain is, too, but I just got tired of plodding through this game. My two "hahah!" moments came when I read some horrific typos/bad English.

[Post New]by fairygodmother55 on Aug 23, 13 8:25 AM
I love the Awakening series, and the graphics on this one are bright and colorful. BUT some of the mini games ( and I LOVE mini games/puzzles) dont make a lot of sense. I have had to skip two so far and I'm only on chapter 2 and I NEVER skip mini games. But the strategy guide was useless.... Some of the steps to get from one thing to another are not logical as a previous poster said, causing me to use, which I dont like to do. A little frustrating, to be honest...

I'll give my full review when I finish..

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Aug 24, 13 11:47 AM
Yes, good game. I always like these magical & whimsical style stories. Graphics are great! Length is good. Bonus chapter decent length. I recommend this one! Enjoy!!

nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Aug 26, 13 2:25 PM
Undaunted by the less-than-stellar reviews, I tried the game and all I've got to say is that it's a BEAUTIFULLY DONE GAME!!! My only gripe is lack of good instructions with some of the mini games.

What a great change in the HOG genre to have an uplifting, not macbre, themed game to play!! Thanks developers, thanks BFG!!

LOVED the game!!!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 1, 13 6:40 AM
shripch wrote:I own all of the "Awakening" games and have for the most part enjoyed them. But unfortunately this is not going to be one of them. I find the graphics sub-par and the story so far (trial period) has been confusing. The strategy guide is hard to access and too time consuming to find what I wanted. Yes, it is "cute" and the dragon friend is warm and sweet, but that's not enough. I felt as if the developers had just phoned this one in, relying on fan loyalty. No buy for me.

Have to agree stripch. the graphics are pretty fuzzy, definitely not the quality I associate with Boomzap & had I realised how clunky the strategy guide was I would have waited for the Standard Edition. Normally this developer is right at the top of my list but not for this game, the gameplay is boring & there is far too much walking back & forth between scenes. (yes I know there is a map but it is not very helpful or visually appealing)

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Sep 6, 13 8:06 PM
Beautifully done! Brilliant! Gorgeous graphics...long gameplay....challenging puzzles....First CE that I have gotten where the bonus section was a good, long play length. Highly recommended! I give it a 9 out of a 10! Loved it!

caryl3
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by caryl3 on Sep 7, 13 3:53 PM
I've enjoyed the "Awakening" series till now....I find the developers are just prolonging the ending till Sophia finds her parents...it's getting to the point of stupidity, senseless and a waste of money. It's a good thing I only paid 1/2 price for the CE.

As for the strategy guide I put that under a separate heading...also a pain

azada72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,438 Posts

[Post New]by azada72 on Sep 17, 13 5:43 PM
I just finished this game.. I played in the casual mode..
I love the Awakening Series.. We all need a little fantasy in our lives sometimes.
Still following Sophia and helping her get to the Empress, who can finally awaken her parents
The graphics are great.. the voice overs and music are pleasant.
Still have the cute little dragon who can start a fire, and along the way acquires other helpful skills. Also still have Owl to help you navigate
Not too many HOS..
If you enjoyed the other Awakening games you will enjoy this one.
There are 6 chapters + the bonus chapter
The bonus chapter has some new characters that hint that Sophia may be going on another adventure

Some things I didn't care for:
Puzzle instructions are kind of vague. but they can be skipped
Morphing object are hard to see
Strategy guide can't be accessed within a scene, you must go back to main menu to get it.. And it doesn't stay where you left off.. you have to start at the beginning of the chapter
I didn't find the map very helpful unless you knew where you wanted to go

Another enjoyable game in the Awakening series that I will replay..
I would give it 5 s
Hope this wasn't too long and was helpful..

[Post New]by jaowood on Sep 20, 13 10:39 PM
Seriously? Still not done with the story? Awakening is now the soap opera version of a game and I object to its classification as Hidden Object (not even a third of the minigames were HO). Wasted another 2 free credits on the Spire. No longer care if Sophia reunites with her parents or drops dead from the sky. Way to suck the life out of a series.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 24, 13 1:32 PM
Whoa....what a slow game...I kept dozing off. Nice graphics and all, but between the plodding action and dreamy music I just couldn't take anymore. What HOS I came across were interesting and a bit different which was entertaining but the mini games were awful, but I don't like those anyway. I guess if you are into slow moving fairytales with a lot of cut scenes, this one is for you. I must have purchased this in a weak moment when I needed a game at the end of the month because I apparently purchased without demoing it first...big mistake. Well, into the trash this goes.

nrfaulk
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by nrfaulk on Oct 15, 13 10:50 PM
They could do better on some of the graphics--for example, I think the really cheesy griffon is pretty lame (as Sophia prepares to leave the spire and return to the Black Bull). But at least they got the poor girl out of those tacky gowns! She's battling the forces of evil in full-length gloves, for crying out loud! The musical score is good, but others in the series are better. I like the game, love the series, and look forward to the next installment. Hurry, BoomZap!

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Dec 15, 13 7:41 PM
Well, I read many of the reviews. I am new to Boom Zap games. They drive me crazy and I definitely will not purchase the games without the strategy guide, which in many instances was not really helpful. Sunhook Spire taught me real patience and perseverance. I am a logical person, but Boom Zap is not logical. That being said, I could only play Sunhook Spire for several hours at a time because many of the puzzles, although enjoyable, were illogical and the manner in which many of my tools worked befuddled me. I had to take breaks and come back, and solved many of the puzzles without understanding how I did it. The Boom Zap people are utterly creative but their games are not for the faint of heart. Initially I thought they were a new group and needed time to refine their games and work out the kinks until I read the reviews. The story lines flow and contain clues, which I loved. I play with no sound, but the artwork is great and the twist on HOs is great. Even puzzles I am familiar with had a new twist and I enjoyed the mixture of puzzles as well as the number of puzzles to solve within the game. One great feature is the fact that the game kept me in the area I needed to solve before continuing on. They can eliminate showing chapters when closing the strategy guide. This is one of the reasons I thought the company was new and had not worked out the kinks.
I would recommend buying only the CE of Awakening: The Sunhook Spire, but I do recommend buying this game.

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Dec 18, 13 8:14 PM
Here I go again -- I finally finished the bonus section. I love this perplexing and illogical game. Gamers are right, the map is useless, but the SG is essential to solving many of the puzzles, not because it explains anything, but because it too becomes part of the puzzle :-). As mentioned in an earlier post, nothing is logical and for those who play puzzles in the difficult mode, you won't have to do that with this game.

I had to take "brain" breaks after solving many of the puzzles, and I am not ashamed to say I referred to the SG frequently to understand some of the illogical logic, which sometimes became logical. In fact, I spent as much as one hour trying to solve some of the puzzles (and this included studying the study guide). This is why I liked this game so much. They were really thinking outside the box, but it would have been nice to have better explanations either in the study guide or the instructions. Boom Zap creators are creators of very few words! Moreover, I solved many of the puzzles by accident and don't even know what I did!

There was so much to do in this game which alone makes it a good buy, but it was nice that solving always involved going between only 2-4 panels or rooms within each chapter. This game caused me to think outside the box and become illogical -- and in many instances it helped. I loved the beautiful artwork and all of the characters as well as the storyline. In closing, as I said before, this game teaches perseverance and patience. I definitely would recommend buying this game, but it is not for the faint of heart.

[Post New]by JustKeepWaiting on May 18, 14 9:19 PM
When will this be available on the iPad?

Go to: