Re:Reviews for My Singing Monsters

[Post New]by Flufficorn on Sep 11, 13 9:58 AM
To anyone saying "I need real money to play this game to GTFO" you are wrong. I haven't spent a cent on this game. Just be patient and let the monsters breed and their eggs hatch and you don't need real money.

For the PC version all I want to see is it catch up to the phone version and everything it has available to it. I want to be able to breed all the same monsters as I can on my phone game and add my PC and phone friends to my list. I would also love to change my name from "New Player" to whatever I choose.

I am hoping that these things will come in time. I know MSM was just released for PC, but the sooner the better.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 12, 13 1:53 PM
snapnhiss wrote:Cute "game" and you really don't need to spend any money on it. You start off with some cash and diamonds and you earn more as your monsters sing. If you don't mind waiting, you'll eventually get an egg hatched or a building built without having to put any of your own money in it.

There's really no plot or game play involved, it's just a cute way to pass a few minutes. It's not unlike many of the building games on FB. It's worth a look, it downloads very quickly.

ETA: I've never played a "free to play" game at BFG before and I wasn't thrilled with the idea but this really is cute and so far I haven't spent a cent on it.

i decided to try this game just to see what the buzz was about... and it's definitely not for me. i guess i just like adventure and puzzle games and not builder games, which is what this is, i guess.

Flufficorn wrote: To anyone saying "I need real money to play this game to GTFO" you are wrong. I haven't spent a cent on this game. Just be patient and let the monsters breed and their eggs hatch and you don't need real money.

ETA the above quote... hoping that flufficorn also realizes the results of spending no money on this game:

and keep in mind that if enough people are careful, like you are, not to spend any real-life money, the game will suffer the same fate as faunasphere, which was closed down due to being unprofitable. just another reason that i prefer not to play this type of game. when you buy a standalone game such as a HOPA, there's a beginning, middle and end. watch out for the end of this game...

Edited on 09/12/2013 at 2:34:34 PM PST

SandyFish55
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,306 Posts

[Post New]by SandyFish55 on Sep 12, 13 6:05 PM
CathyCatfish wrote:
snapnhiss wrote:Cute "game" and you really don't need to spend any money on it. You start off with some cash and diamonds and you earn more as your monsters sing. If you don't mind waiting, you'll eventually get an egg hatched or a building built without having to put any of your own money in it.

There's really no plot or game play involved, it's just a cute way to pass a few minutes. It's not unlike many of the building games on FB. It's worth a look, it downloads very quickly.

ETA: I've never played a "free to play" game at BFG before and I wasn't thrilled with the idea but this really is cute and so far I haven't spent a cent on it.

i decided to try this game just to see what the buzz was about... and it's definitely not for me. i guess i just like adventure and puzzle games and not builder games, which is what this is, i guess.

Flufficorn wrote: To anyone saying "I need real money to play this game to GTFO" you are wrong. I haven't spent a cent on this game. Just be patient and let the monsters breed and their eggs hatch and you don't need real money.

ETA the above quote... hoping that flufficorn also realizes the results of spending no money on this game:

and keep in mind that if enough people are careful, like you are, not to spend any real-life money, the game will suffer the same fate as faunasphere, which was closed down due to being unprofitable. just another reason that i prefer not to play this type of game. when you buy a standalone game such as a HOPA, there's a beginning, middle and end. watch out for the end of this game...

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Sep 12, 13 7:45 PM
So Faunasphere was shut down because it wasn't profitable? I've never planned on spending any real money on My Singing Monsters but I wonder what would happen if it wasn't "profitable" like the other game and got shut down. Would those people who paid real money for it still have access to it since it's supposedly only available through internet connection? Would they still be able to play their game even without paying real money for it? Would any of us?

I'm having fun so far but it's a real drag having to wait so long for the breeding and incubation periods to be over. And shouldn't the breeding period be shorter than the incubation period? There's nothing to do other than bake and feed my other monsters and finding what other decorations would make them "happy". I don't like that I can't play the memory game and ticket scratch more than once a day. Seems to defeat the purpose of wanting to continue playing when you're restricted to how many times you're allowed to do something each day.

GoThDoLL
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by GoThDoLL on Sep 12, 13 8:21 PM
This is a really cute game and there are tricks to avoid having to purchase things that cost diamonds to acquire desired item(s). Hopefully, this won't deter some of the people who can't or do not want to use real cash to purchase diamonds, etc. I have to concur with another review regarding a one time purchase, however It isn't mandatory to purchase in game items, but it sure does save a lot of time waiting for things to level or acquire, otherwise. This game does not cater to the impatient or financially challenged.

This is actually the first game in the recent time these types of "download & play for "free" games that I actually did not delete. BigFish found my soft spot(fan of real time/similation/resource management like games that require strategy.) Thanks BigFish!

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 13, 13 2:49 PM
FishyFemale wrote:So Faunasphere was shut down because it wasn't profitable? I've never planned on spending any real money on My Singing Monsters but I wonder what would happen if it wasn't "profitable" like the other game and got shut down. Would those people who paid real money for it still have access to it since it's supposedly only available through internet connection? Would they still be able to play their game even without paying real money for it? Would any of us?

I'm having fun so far but it's a real drag having to wait so long for the breeding and incubation periods to be over. And shouldn't the breeding period be shorter than the incubation period? There's nothing to do other than bake and feed my other monsters and finding what other decorations would make them "happy". I don't like that I can't play the memory game and ticket scratch more than once a day. Seems to defeat the purpose of wanting to continue playing when you're restricted to how many times you're allowed to do something each day.

NO.
NO.
NO.

the game will just stop. cease to exist. i have the patience of a saint... i could wait for breeding, for eggs to hatch, for paint to dry. i am also not an addictive personality, BUT... i do tend to get attached emotionally to things i create... monsters, worlds, creatures... whatever. so, after playing for a while (~ 1/2 hour or so?) i decided that after reading about the closure of faunsphere, i didn't want to get attached to silly, singing monsters! just me. i hope other people are happy playing with them, feeding them, making them happy... but i would always be watching for the day when it just..... STOPPED.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 13, 13 4:51 PM
I was not as attached to Faunasphere as some people got - I did enjoy it and play it a lot though, once I got into it. When it closed, many of the players moved to Glitch (beta), me included. Glitch closed too, and players are still mourning. I, however, am simply grateful. If not for Faunasphere and then its closing, I would not have known Glitch and its fantastic community. What a wonderful bunch of playmates I met there. Yeah, the transience of these games was a downer, but they let me know there's great people out there to play with, the likes of which I may meet again in other games. And great folks designing lovely games as well.

Everything we do with computers is a new thing that takes some trial-and-error to get right. It's a process, to see what *can* be done at all, and then what can be done in a way that's sustainable. Lessons are learned, and new things are tried. It's the same in medicine and with anything else new that's developed. If you can get your emotions to understand this, then it's not a bad thing, these comings and goings, as long as the process continues to find ways to make this stuff work.

Understandably, not everyone can make their emotions understand the loss of a game they get attached to, just as some folks avoid real life pets because it's so hard when they die. I, too, long for games that let me keep my pets forever, without the threat of death by discontinuance, but the state of the art doesn't seem to be there yet - still too much evolving going on yet I guess.

Edited on 09/14/2013 at 12:09:07 AM PST

pianogrinder
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Cute, unusual, and unique.

[Post New]by pianogrinder on Sep 14, 13 8:42 PM
Love this game. My 1 yr old nephew loves it too he gets mad when I exit the game.
I like how you can collect coins even before the time bar is full. I am trying to see if I can get my island good enough to be in the top ten. The breeding is a big experiment with trial and error, taking notes on which cross overs work so I don't have to go back to find out which monster breeds what. Each time I play it's different because new items are added every time I LVLup. Are there going to be more islands added in the future? This is a game I could play for months and never get bored. Of course, it helps when you're a musician too. I noticed when you click on a monster to get coins, they lose rhythm with the rest of the band and play a half-beat out for a bar then they resynchronize. Makes it entertaining to see the little guys try to catch up. If there are any updates, let us know.

judy1689
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
487 Posts

[Post New]by judy1689 on Sep 16, 13 5:30 PM
I have fallen in love with this game. It's cute, and fun . . . and for those who don't see the point . . . it probably doesn't have one. But it's a game that things do happen frequently enough to keep it fun to play.

Being able to create your own island design is fun.

If you haven't tried using the close-up feature, you should. It makes the arranging of the little monsters interesting. I guess it fascinates my designer background. I also like the animation of the monsters to the music, as well as being able to make your own subtle adjustments to the sound with the placements of the monsters.

You don't have to buy anything to play, but you do need patience waiting for the monster eggs to breed and hatch, as well as the bakery recharge. I personally don't mind paying to play, I just wish BF would let club members use their monthly credit to make in game purchases.

Now that the game of Found is at a boring standstill . . . this is quite a lovely diversion.

Fresh and quite different from any other game. Easy to pop in and out and do other things in real life.

I wish Found had a close-up feature for exploring the island(s).

I really think most people would like it if they give it a chance and explore the nice editing features of the characters and decorations.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Sep 20, 13 2:18 PM
This is my first "Free" game.. I have to admit.. I swore I wouldn't play any of these. But this one was too unique to not try. Now? I am soooooo and addicted to it! I did splurge and buy some small food/diamonds and s, at the Member prices it's not too bad I must say I am very happy to see us members getting a deep discount on them! For anyone sceptical as I was, try it.. you just might be surprised how fun it is. I can't wait to try others, but for now I'm totally obsessed with this game! Thanks you've given me another way to relax and forget about my pain and have fun staying home! I hope as I move higher up, more content is added!! Until then (have a long way to go!) I'm having a ball. It's like a funny quirkey Builder to play in between games.. aww heck.. I'm having so much fun, I even stay for the "bars" to move rockin to my "babies"!

5 game!

Happy Hatching everyone!

[Post New]by fictiongal on Sep 22, 13 2:49 PM
I have to say I am enjoying this game. I wasn't real excited on the free online game thing either but this one has me a bit hooked. The more I find out about it, the more I like it. I would like it, though, if we were able to use our game credits towards purchases in the game.

[Post New]by angierae1 on Sep 29, 13 8:11 PM
This could be a really good game, but there are too many things that ruin it. Most people cannot afford to keep buying diamonds and gold to keep the game going. They could have made it easier to earn diamonds, instead of betting that most players would pay for diamonds, which are not cheap! The game has lots of problems connecting to the server, which I find extremely annoying. I really like this game, but the money they want you to spend to advance and the problems connecting to the server make it easy to delete. I wish we could just pay for the game and get free diamonds and gold. Just my own opinion.

kayette
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
474 Posts

[Post New]by kayette on Oct 2, 13 1:26 PM
Fun, more addictive than I thought it would be and I see no need to spend money except if you are very impatient. I spent a few dollars on some diamonds but don't plan on making that a habit! Anyone who says the game 'forces' you to spend money simply lacks the ability to postpone satisfaction. I like to balance games that you spend a few hours at a time trying to solve with games that you can just drop in for a few minutes at a time several times a day.

[Post New]by PooOnShu on Oct 3, 13 6:19 PM
I'm really surprised by the folks who immediately gave up on the game when they thought they had to pay to keep playing. You absolutely DO NOT have to pay. You have to WAIT for non-coin-purchasable monsters to breed and hatch.

To those who say, "yeah but they made this game addicting on purpose so we couldn't control ourselves..." Um... you people need therapy, like any other kind of addict. Nobody is making you pay anything. Get a life. Do some chores. Take a walk. Whatever. There is no ending to the game, and therefore, there is no reason to pay to speed up the process, and no reason to complain that it is slow-moving. Relatively speaking, you will never get anywhere in the game anyway. You will do and see new things each day, but you will never make any progress. If you're a parent with an impatient child, be a parent. Teach them that "good things come to those who wait," instead of helping them to feed into the culture of instant gratification. Do your job.

That said, this is a cute, fun game to fill in some idle time and hear a catchy tune for a little while.

You don't need to spend a dime

[Post New]by Mephistopheles on Oct 9, 13 12:36 AM

I think this "game" is awesome! It sure is not like any usual game I am used to and the first one of this genre I played. I would not consider it as a game but as a cute distraction when I need something happy and colorful that cheers me up. I, so far, play about 30 minutes per day, while folding laundry or doing other household stuff. My kids (5 and 6 years) love it, too! They are fascinated by the different monster singers and the "songs" we can create by switching the monsters on and off.
Also, no monster is scary and there is no violence at all in the game, or a gory detail or anything like that, so it is great for all ages to see.

At first I thought, too, that you need to pay a lot in order to get a good chorus crew, but so far I have not spent any money at all and the game develops astonishingly fast. I play since 3 days and I am on level 11 (and yes, on the first day I played a lot more than 30 minutes since I was at home sick).
I like to figure out the best combinations of monsters, accessories and upgrades.

It is cute, neat, fun and great developed. I played many a game I paid for with much less fun.

I do not think this game is for impatient people who want fast results and any kind of "finishing" this game is, I think, not possible. But we are all different and I never heard of a game that is loved by all kinds of people alike. It depends on what you want from a game.

Personally, I am hooked and love it. And I have some "reward" for the kids, because they know, they can choose the new monsters to breed or the upgrade, if they have done well during the day.

Great job, whoever developed this game!

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Oct 13, 13 10:24 AM
I think this game is really cool! I just hope they update it real soon so it's up to par with the original version that offers soo much more. My 15yr old and her friends have been playing this game on their phones since it first came out and have not spent ONE CENT...so not sure how much more free a game can get before it can be called "free to play"....

If you want to speed the process up then you can buy some coins, food or diamonds, but that is purely optional and in no way changes the game other then the rate of speed in which it progresses. If you wish to speed things up initially you can do so and be setup quite nicely for less then a BOGO CE sale. Seriously, what is the difference in spending money on a free to play game verse a SE or CE? yet i don't see anyone reflecting negatively on those game purchases.... and those games clearly do require a purchase with real money to play... where these games do not.
If you don't want to spend a dime then time will buy you everything you need to play this game. So yes, it is truly and rightfully labeled a "free to play game"

So if you have no money or have a few bucks to spend, this game works for everyone. If you haven't had a chance to try it... i strongly encourage you to give it a try and find out for yourself the truth about free to play games and how they work
Happy Gaming!

Edited on 10/13/2013 at 10:27:48 AM PST

[Post New]by Ezmerilda on Oct 22, 13 12:48 PM
I started out here on BF, and have had a lot of fun, however, I have also had lots and lots of crashes. Had to remove and reload twice....no fun.

I have NOT spent any $$$, and am still enjoying.
That said: I am extremely disappointed with this version of the game after playing the Android version, it has so much more. Love having my island decorated for Halloween, it's fun to see just what costumes they have on today.

I would really enjoy updates to make the two versions alike.

[Post New]by agorby on Oct 23, 13 9:01 PM
New update is awesome. Really nice improvement.

[Post New]by katrinaceleste on Nov 1, 13 8:32 PM
I have noticed that if you want to put anything on etheral island you have to either pay about $0 for enough diamonds or wait for many many weeks. I have not yet been able to breed any high end etheral creature. yeah you can wait but it may take a really long time for everything. I don't like the odds of winning anything more than 100 coins on scratch ticket. if you get 100 every day for a year it takes 1428 weeks to earn 1,000,000 coins and after you get more than 1 island and get higher levels it costs millions of coins for most everything. 1428 weeks is 119 years. so if things costs millions then the scratch tickets are not much of a reward. I have won 2 diamonds twice and 100 food units once. The rest have always been 100 coins. I have tried closing the scratch ticket instead of collecting over and over....still 100 coins.
I admit I get millions of coins from monsters but it still pales in shadow of the millions for upgrades and decorations. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing and decorating but it should be more rewarding, especially if you have paid real money.

DeAnna2112 wrote:I think this game is really cool! I just hope they update it real soon so it's up to par with the original version that offers soo much more. My 15yr old and her friends have been playing this game on their phones since it first came out and have not spent ONE CENT...so not sure how much more free a game can get before it can be called "free to play"....

If you want to speed the process up then you can buy some coins, food or diamonds, but that is purely optional and in no way changes the game other then the rate of speed in which it progresses. If you wish to speed things up initially you can do so and be setup quite nicely for less then a BOGO CE sale. Seriously, what is the difference in spending money on a free to play game verse a SE or CE? yet i don't see anyone reflecting negatively on those game purchases.... and those games clearly do require a purchase with real money to play... where these games do not.
If you don't want to spend a dime then time will buy you everything you need to play this game. So yes, it is truly and rightfully labeled a "free to play game"

So if you have no money or have a few bucks to spend, this game works for everyone. If you haven't had a chance to try it... i strongly encourage you to give it a try and find out for yourself the truth about free to play games and how they work
Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by katrinaceleste on Nov 1, 13 8:36 PM
ok that was a typo you have to pay about $40 for enough diamonds for the Etheral Island creatures. or wait for a really really long time to earn enough. You cannot spend them on other things either. Unless the rewards get better I am going to quit the game. I have put real money into it and feel there is little reward for that.

Go to: