catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:Reviews for Flights of Fancy: Two Doves Collector's Edition

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 13, 13 4:07 AM
(barely)

It seems ERS have forgotten that not every Hidden Object Game player is a girl, because this pathetic offering is definitely aimed at girls. ERS will lose a lot of money because male players, like me, will pass this up.

There was a time when ERS made spooky horror stories that I loved and loved, but it seems this time has passed, because this offering is just way too... cute! Seriously; elves, fairies, ANNOYING SINGING PLANTS! (I hated the singing plants. They were SO annoying). Add this to ANOTHER magical kingdom game, and you'll get a dud story.
Despite all the cuteness, nothing interesting really happened anyway. It's the same old, same old. Some evil guy trying to take over the kingdom, a missing king, princes, princesses, nothing new at all. This is the worst story ERS has come up with since Reveries: Sisterly Love (which was terrible.)

Even though the story was bad, the gameplay was okay. If you ignore the fact that we have an elf for a hint, a magical fairy that helps us defeat some evil creatures and random animal helpers along the way, you've got some alright gameplay there. The HOS were a fun challenge and were probably the best thing of the game. They came in many different forms; the usual junkpile, silhouette and finding groups of items.
The puzzles were good too. I could solve most of them, which I enjoyed. They were still challenging for me, though.
The game is pretty easy to navigate, so there should be no trouble for experienced players.

In the CE we have achievements and collectibles. However, 40 minutes in to the game, I had already collected 7/15 collectibles, so I guess that they'll be found in a couple of hours and not leave much else to be done.

The graphics are also pretty good. They are the usual ERS; great artwork, great character design, all-round great. ERS can be counted on to produce some great graphics every single time.
However, the voice-overs were confusing. Half were British, half were American. Where is this set? The voice-overs gave no answers. Here's a tip- next time, either make them all British or all American.

(to be continued in second post)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 13, 13 4:09 AM
FEATURES
Diary. Makes note of important events in the game.
Map. Interactive and very useful.
4 modes of difficulty- Easy, Advanced, Hard and Custom. Custom lets you change the sparkles, black bar tips and hint and skip recharge times. I played CUSTOM (set hint to 35 sec and skip to 45).
Hint and Skip- Hint is very useful outside HOS.
Magic fairy that you get to name. Also helps you defeat some creature

CE EXCLUSIVES
Fairy gets her own section which displays all the achievements.
Achievements.
Strategy Guide. This is helpful for puzzles.
Bonus Chapter
Concept Art
Music
Replay HOS & Puzzles

So, this game is ERS' 53rd, and I believe they may be running out of ideas, because their 50th and 51st games were bad too. Combine the worst story of the lot with lots of “cuteness” and you've already lost me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 13, 13 4:27 AM
Well it's a typical ERS game; nice graphics, usual style of HOS, puzzles that were mostly fairly easy and a story set in a kingdom populated by fairies, elves, animals and for some bizarre reason, singing mushrooms. Not something you'll see every day!

As for the story, it's a case of 'been there done that' in several other games both by this developer and others, so nothing new. And perhaps for that reason, I found the game incredibly boring.

I'm sure ERS fans will lap this CE up but for me there's not enough substance to the story or challenge to the game. I may use a PCC on the SE but for me it's not worth the CE price.

[Post New]by IslandDaisy on Sep 13, 13 5:29 AM
Flights of Fancy started out to be a wonderful game, much lighter than the fare we've had for a while. Refreshing, the game made me think about what I had to do. The artwork is beautiful and the music is not annoying. I actually played with sound!

My biggest beef, especially of late... we have games where the puzzles are different and fun. However, half way through the game it appears the developers have either run out of time or run out of ideas. The first half of the game is puzzle/hidden object, and the second half of the game is list style HOG. Why not mix them up a bit?

My other beef with this game in particular was 2 of the extras for the fairy/accomplishments could only be obtained during the Extra Chapter, which I assume only comes with the Collectors Edition.

Edited on 09/13/2013 at 5:32:17 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 13, 13 2:23 PM
LOVE IT.. LOVE IT.. /Another fun game from ERS.. Like the graphics as usual and it has all the bells and whistles you could wish for. Will be getting this for sure.. Give it 5 out of 5 stars.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 13, 13 7:04 PM
This has all the makings and trapping of a CE worthy game and with a 3d interactive map. Good storyline, great graphics, fun mini puzzles fun HOS

The mini puzzles were a tad hair pulling sometimes esp the one whereby u had to swap the tiles to form a sun picture

BUY BUY BUY

Edited on 09/13/2013 at 7:09:01 PM PST

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Sep 13, 13 10:53 PM
An English Northern accent in this voice over....are you serious?

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 14, 13 6:38 AM
The reviews for this game really point out how different we all are, and, as a result, how different our tastes are. I really liked this game (at least the main play) -- I found it funny, it made me laugh, I loved the fact there was so much to look at, and, yes, it is cutesy, but I didn't mind it. The singing plants cracked me up (I'm a singer), especially since once I got tired of listening to them, I just exited out into the larger scene, and the plants became silent -- smart move, ERS. The colors in this were really great. For those people who got confused with the arrow hints, I realized that when the arrows seem to disappear, you're actually being guided to go back a scene (or more), since the blue down arrow appears at the same time above inventory. If there's something that can be accomplished in a scene, the hint arrow clearly goes there, and a brief golden, halo-type effect appears around what you can investigate.The only criticism I would make and the reason I decided to buy the CE, is that sometimes I had absolutely no idea where to go or what to do, the hint didn't really help, and having the SG was helpful, particularly because I become impatient. I also found the SG useful for assistance in some of the mini-games. Based on having two credits and also the sale, I'm bought the game.

This next part is being posted just after I finished the bonus game today (9/22), and I have to say, what the heck happened to the game in the bonus?? Messy play, difficulty in getting things to stick in various scenes, a lot of HOP's, and, best of all, dialogue at the end which didn't match (at all) the written dialogue, plus a bizarre ending. Huh? Additionally, the actors' voices for the king and Elonna were seriously working class or very regional British accents, which made no sense given the supposed status of the characters they were portraying.

I would like to add that as a woman, I appreciate there being so many games apparently aimed at women, but we do have male players, and I'm fine with games having a male protagonist and agree we should have them. I personally don't need constantly to be finding lost children or saving guys from dire circumstances.

Edited on 09/22/2013 at 6:45:23 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 14, 13 6:00 PM
catbag8717 wrote: (barely)

It seems ERS have forgotten that not every Hidden Object Game player is a girl, because this pathetic offering is definitely aimed at girls. ERS will lose a lot of money because male players, like me, will pass this up.

There was a time when ERS made spooky horror stories that I loved and loved, but it seems this time has passed, because this offering is just way too... cute! Seriously; elves, fairies, ANNOYING SINGING PLANTS! (I hated the singing plants. They were SO annoying). Add this to ANOTHER magical kingdom game, and you'll get a dud story.
Despite all the cuteness, nothing interesting really happened anyway. It's the same old, same old. Some evil guy trying to take over the kingdom, a missing king, princes, princesses, nothing new at all. This is the worst story ERS has come up with since Reveries: Sisterly Love (which was terrible.)

I couldn't agree more catbag. This one's not for me.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 14, 13 7:04 PM
steve_san wrote:
catbag8717 wrote: (barely)

I couldn't agree more catbag. This one's not for me.

i couldn't agree more... and i'm a GIRL!

and a naughty girl at that... you don't EVEN want to know what i named the stupid fairy and the "hint" elf... my sailor husband would probably blush! hey, if you're gonna MAKE me name them, ERS, then i'll give 'em the names that suit my attitude toward that feature!

i wrote a review on the starred review main page. for custom difficulty level. that's about it.

jontesmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by jontesmama on Sep 19, 13 10:40 PM
Eeeeeehhhhhhh....well it wasn't a horrible game. I will say that I am glad that I tried it before I bought it especially since its a Collector's Edition. I was happy when I read reviews that said this game wasn't dark and gory and scary like many other games are on here now. It is nice to have a game that is light-hearted and bright. However, this game just wasn't my particular cup of tea. The graphics really aren't that great; its pretty but I have seen far better. The voice overs and facial features of the characters are subpar as best.Game play isn't difficult but it is somewhat confusing at times. Once you figure out what you need to do, then it becomes simpler but going into it there are quite a few "huh??" points. I have no desire to purchase this game and was quite happy when the demo time was up. It is a shame because I would have liked to play a game that was not full of death and darkness as many games on here are nowadays.

In my opinion, its ok as a demo but definitely not worth the buy; despite all the raving reviews on here.

I have learned to NOT lean solely upon the reviews posted in the forum because they are not always synonymous with my own views of the games.

NO BUY FOR ME UNFORTUNATELY.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Sep 21, 13 8:40 PM

I LOVE THIS GAME! Thank you ERS for bringing us another fantastic game.
Your games our fun and not overly complicated which suits me just fine. Please don't change what you are doing. It's working!!!!! This is a buy for me for sure!!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 22, 13 4:26 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW....I am in LOVE with this game!
This is SOOOooo BEAUTIFUL, just took my breath away in AMAZEMENT at what ERS has done this time , I think for me this is their best work yet .

If you love, fairy tales, with magical elements that were the best I've ever seen, and creatures that are so beautiful and realistic looking, that you just stop in amazement, to look at each and every detail, there is no way you will be disappointed, with this EYE CANDY buffet, it is SWEET in the best possible way!!!

Like others, I didn't even demo, purchased as soon as it came on BF, this is by far,
my FAVORITE type of game, a definite 5 game for this fishie .
LOVED my fairy's and giving them names, the mushroom's were a hoot, and I do like having the fairy wardrobe, things like this are ALWAYS a plus for me, and add to the enjoyment of the game play, and am glad to see I am not the only one .

Don't let the cute fool you, there is challenge in this game, which I also am up for
I found the mini games and puzzles, SO FUN and entertaining, VERY happy about that, doesn't normally happen, there are usually a couple I like, but in this game, LOVED all of them .
My favorite was the faces puzzle and placing the colored shapes ..not finished the game yet, so I am sure there will be more, but AWESOME job on those developers !!

I just fell in LOVE with the magical atmosphere, this most stunning world, took me away from all of my problems, so this game is priceless, it is breath taking and a game I could get lost in forever...LOVE IT .
ERS....THANK YOU, your artistic ability, and talent, is shown in this peice of work, Flight of Fancy: Two Doves...it is PERFECT in every aspect .

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Sep 28, 13 7:15 PM
quarlesqueen wrote:WOW, WOW, WOW....I am in LOVE with this game!
This is SOOOooo BEAUTIFUL, just took my breath away in AMAZEMENT at what ERS has done this time , I think for me this is their best work yet .

If you love, fairy tales, with magical elements that were the best I've ever seen, and creatures that are so beautiful and realistic looking, that you just stop in amazement, to look at each and every detail, there is no way you will be disappointed, with this EYE CANDY buffet, it is SWEET in the best possible way!!!

Like others, I didn't even demo, purchased as soon as it came on BF, this is by far,
my FAVORITE type of game, a definite 5 game for this fishie .
LOVED my fairy's and giving them names, the mushroom's were a hoot, and I do like having the fairy wardrobe, things like this are ALWAYS a plus for me, and add to the enjoyment of the game play, and am glad to see I am not the only one .

Don't let the cute fool you, there is challenge in this game, which I also am up for
I found the mini games and puzzles, SO FUN and entertaining, VERY happy about that, doesn't normally happen, there are usually a couple I like, but in this game, LOVED all of them .
My favorite was the faces puzzle and placing the colored shapes ..not finished the game yet, so I am sure there will be more, but AWESOME job on those developers !!

I just fell in LOVE with the magical atmosphere, this most stunning world, took me away from all of my problems, so this game is priceless, it is breath taking and a game I could get lost in forever...LOVE IT .
ERS....THANK YOU, your artistic ability, and talent, is shown in this peice of work, Flight of Fancy: Two Doves...it is PERFECT in every aspect .

Yes! I feel exactly the same way about this game and I couldn't have said it better than you, quarlesqueen! I love EVERYTHING about it, especially the fairy. Excellent job, ERS. Please make more!

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Oct 18, 13 4:18 PM
I have just finished this game, really enjoyed playing. It is a pretty long game, which I like. It was nice not to play a gloomy type game. This game is a nice change, very pretty graphics. I highly recommend.

[Post New]by mrf4001 on Oct 3, 14 2:25 PM
Hello,
I thought Flights of Fancy - Two Doves Collectors Edition was wonderful...
I completed the game.. Q: Am I being stupid? Can anyone tell me where or how to get into the "Bonus Game"?
Thanks much.
email me at - mrf4007@gmail.com

Thank you

Go to: