lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Witches of Abraham Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 29, 13 6:39 AM
Another delightful series and I have completed them all, except this latest

The usual bells and whistles, different background, same crow, same collectibles, different scenery, storyline, always beginning is slightly dark as benefited Edgar Alan.

Get THEM ALL!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 29, 13 7:10 AM
I played about 40 minutes of the demo, and, while I didn't dislike it as much as some other people, I didn't love it. From the beginning of Midnight Mysteries, the developers have taken the lives of real people and played with their biographies and the history surrounding their lives, sometimes to the extreme detriment of truth, in an attempt to be entertaining, figuring, no doubt, that hardly anyone will spot the sometimes vast inaccuracies. Nonetheless, some of these games have been great (mostly the earlier ones) and some have been a real mix. The current new developer has done the same kind of mix of truth and serious fiction, but this time taking someone who is iconic to a lot of Americans, Abraham Lincoln, which is tricky, and it didn't work for me at all. The voices for him and Mary were seriously awful -- portentous and not remotely of the area of the country they came from. The Knights of the whatever was a particularly awful addition -- Quantrill and his raiders were awful enough (they included the James' brothers who joined Quantrill in 1862), but adding the element of the supernatural and a mysterious, secret society to what was a really terrible war with an enormous amount of death really doesn't sit well with me. When Quantrill died he was a 27 year old, probable psychopath, not the leader of a secret, supernatural organization. Just yuck. That said, I found the gameplay to be okay, nothing special, the clovers took some work to find, and the ravens seemed few and far between. I liked hearing the familiar sound effects, but I just didn't like this game. Also, the SG appeared unavailable during the demo. Definitely not a buy for me under any circumstances.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Sep 29, 13 10:20 AM
NancySusan wrote:I played about 40 minutes of the demo, and, while I didn't dislike it as much as some other people, I didn't love it. From the beginning of Midnight Mysteries, the developers have taken the lives of real people and played with their biographies and the history surrounding their lives, sometimes to the extreme detriment of truth, in an attempt to be entertaining, figuring, no doubt, that hardly anyone will spot the sometimes vast inaccuracies. Nonetheless, some of these games have been great (mostly the earlier ones) and some have been a real mix. The current new developer has done the same kind of mix of truth and serious fiction, but this time taking someone who is iconic to a lot of Americans, Abraham Lincoln, which is tricky, and it didn't work for me at all. The voices for him and Mary were seriously awful -- portentous and not remotely of the area of the country they came from. The Knights of the whatever was a particularly awful addition -- Quantrill and his raiders were awful enough (they included the James' brothers who joined Quantrill in 1862), but adding the element of the supernatural and a mysterious, secret society to what was a really terrible war with an enormous amount of death really doesn't sit well with me. When Quantrill died he was a 27 year old, probable psychopath, not the leader of a secret, supernatural organization. Just yuck. That said, I found the gameplay to be okay, nothing special, the clovers took some work to find, and the ravens seemed few and far between. I liked hearing the familiar sound effects, but I just didn't like this game. Also, the SG appeared unavailable during the demo. Definitely not a buy for me under any circumstances.

I can't really add anything to what NancySusan said except that I felt exactly the same way...and I both expected and wanted to like it. I didn't dislike it--but it was kind of meh.

ruadhan
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Sep 29, 13 2:35 PM
I like the Midnight Mysteries series, so I bought this as soon as I saw it. I haven't completed the game yet, and although I am not disappointed with it, it is definitely different from its predecessors.

That is probably explained by the game being developed by a team other than the original developers, and while I can understand that (by now, the Midnight Mysteries is a well-developed formula so it can be safely handed off), it's rather obvious in the difference between the more "modernised" look of this game, with its computer-generated models animation, and the more traditional hand-drawn animation mixed in.

I have to second what everyone else says - too many mini-games! They stop the action dead in its tracks, as you have to play a game in order to progress every time you reach a new scene. The game makers were probably trying to hit a balance between HOG scenes and mini-games to keep the formula refreshed, but they went too far in the opposite direction with the games.

Searching for the clovers is also a bit of a distraction - I find I'm so involved in trying to find them, I'm losing track of what else I'm supposed to be doing. I may just stop trying to find the clovers, because I don't think they add anything (if you get them all, this unlocks unlimited hidden object searches or something).

So not a bad game, but a weaker one than the previous entries. As usual, if you don't like occult themes, this is not the one for you. And even though I'm a European and not an American, tying in real-life characters and history to a fictional occult conspiracy is perhaps going a little bit too far - again, as others have pointed out, Quantrill and his Raiders were irregular soldiers who went rogue, not warlocks who were involved in a mystic society.

I know Mrs. Lincoln was indeed a believer in spiritualism, but to jump from that to claiming that her and the President's son was the victim of a curse is slightly tasteless. If they're going to make future Midnight Mysteries games, I suggest they stick to either fictional characters or real life characters in their private capacity, not American presidents!

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Sep 29, 13 3:32 PM
That stupid smile on cartoon Lincoln's face, just couldn't take it anymore.

oversixty
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by oversixty on Oct 3, 13 6:17 PM
What a wonderful game. We need more like it!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 4, 13 10:30 AM
I have only played the demo so far and was having a good time (the Civil War era is my favorite, as a history buff), until I am absolutely stuck in the mansion, as the hint button just tells me to go up to the room, - nothing to do there, then just tells me to go back to the foyer - nothing to do there, so basically has me running up and down the steps with nothing to do. As I do not have access to the SG unless I buy the game, this is a no-buy for me. What a disappointment.

feenix

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Oct 6, 13 9:41 AM
I enjoyed the game ....I always love Midnight Mysteries!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 6, 13 2:20 PM
I love the game, i am in the bonus game now and i love evrything about the game the graphics are awesome and so are the sounds. I recommend this game thx DEV's for all your hard work and time you spent on this game hope to see more in the future..
Thx BF.. 5 's

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Oct 13, 13 10:35 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I liked the way it was broken into segments; you didn't have to run your tail off.

The graphics were nice and clear.

There are 57 clovers to collect, if you collect them all. You really have to look for them, and some are in the Hidden Object scenes.

Ravens are also collectible for "immediate" hints.

Looking forward to the next game.

Debbstar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Debbstar on Nov 10, 13 12:02 AM
Hmmmm. I love the Midnight Mystery series. But until this comes out for ipad, I won't be able to play as my computer has died. But it sounds hit & miss anyway. I really wish they'd bring the first one out for ipad as it is my favourite.
Thanks for the reviews. Doesn't seem like I'm really missing anything ?

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Nov 16, 13 6:42 PM
Well done! The first one I was able to get all of the achievements! Stra
tegy guide was good! Skeleton Jessie was WAY COOL!

Debbstar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Debbstar on Jan 18, 14 12:22 AM
Finally available on ipad. Is alright. Nowhere near as good as the others in the series by a mile. Still an alright game. I still liked it. Just didn't love it.
I just really wish they would bring out the first one (Edgar Allen Poe Conspiracies) on ipad. That's my favourite one

Edited on 01/18/2014 at 12:29:10 AM PST

Go to: