[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Oct 19, 13 9:14 AM

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 9:14:37 AM PST

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Beanstalk CE

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 19, 13 9:17 AM
Goodness, there's a lot of reviews for so early in the morning (for me ). Thanks for getting this one started everyone!

What do you think of Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Beanstalk Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Beanstalk Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 19, 13 9:18 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 19, 13 9:23 AM

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 9:15:37 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 19, 13 9:26 AM

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 9:16:02 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Oct 19, 13 9:29 AM
Think this has to be the worst CE EVER! Just pathetic...even a child would quickly get bored. Luckily it's half price weekend, but I wouldn't want this game for free quite honestly.

Difficult to follow, finding loads of giant items, sparkles (glints) whether you want them or not, puzzles that don't challenge you, HOS that are ok but nothing special...

I usually love games by these devs, but this game feels like they asked an apprentice to bash out a practise game and released it anyway.

Music is ok, graphics fuzzy and hints hard to see.

It's like a HOG/FROG kiddies game from yesteryear dressed up as a grown ups game. All very odd, very boring and after 50 mins decided to buy for my 3 year old grand daughter as few games suitable for kids. And this game is unique as first and only CE for children ever!

A disappointing CE Saturday, roll on Thursday :-)

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Oct 19, 13 9:35 AM
Not sure if will get CE or wait on Se.Like but don't like ,but I won't buy on this sale because it's not a sale for members ,since we'll pay what a non member does.I also agree that BF seems to be in a totally different direction,more to pleasing facebook and the so called free games.I'll hold on as a member little longer.

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Oct 19, 13 11:00 AM

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 9:16:29 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 19, 13 11:18 AM
Not a bad game, not a great game. Nice way to wile away the time. I agree with the people who say BF is going in another direction. I just hope that when the close this chapter they will unlock the games I have already purchased.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 19, 13 12:30 PM

It takes two...

Like shorenuf says, this game is definitely designed for an adult and child(ren) to play together.

The puzzles themselves are easy, but are of a progressive nature that will require an adult's assistance. That said, I don't think it's fair to say the game is bad because it isn't designed for just adults. The game is actually not bad. In context, the game is quite fun.

Give it a try, especially if you have small children.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 19, 13 2:15 PM
Definitely a fairy tale, right down to the art work. Graphics aren't bad, although a bit fuzzy. Colors are quite vibrant. Voice overs are very nice and appropriate for the setting. Not a lot of sound FX, but what there is, is nice. Music is...okay, fairy tale music, and gets a bit annoying after a while. Jump map works well and is used frequently. SG is okay, but you don't really need it with this game. Hint system is helpful and fills quickly.

HOGs are few and far between, but are clean and easy to find items. Puzzles are quite simple. There are 40 collectable eggs you need to find, and they are not very easy to see. They blend in to the background.

The one thing I didn't care for, which makes up the entire game, is that you cannot pick up items you know you will need along the way, until you actually click on the task itself. When you find the task, you then go back and pick up the items you need to complete it. This was boring for me. There is no challenge to this game. Most definitely geared to the children in the house, or a young beginner.

I'm sure there will be those who find this quite fun, but for me it wasn't. Even with the special today, I just can't bring myself to buy it...just too simple.

As always, try it for youself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Oct 19, 13 2:27 PM
This is based on just the demo. I am sorry this game is getting such a bad review. I was having a delightful time with the demo. The puzzles are easy, but I enjoyed the different game play. So much better than the same old tedious action of many of the recent games. Finding the items reminds me of the "Treasure Seekers" series (unless I'm mistaken and have it confused with another series). In that series you had to click on an area and you would get a circle of items to find in order to interact with that area. In this game, you activate a search which shows up at the bottom in an inventory tab.

I guess it obviously is not for everyone, but I like that it is something different. I am not a novice player and I am finding it challenging and interesting.

I hope gamers will not be turned away by the negative reviews, but will try it for themselves. People like different things.

Kathyj77
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyj77 on Oct 19, 13 3:52 PM
I usually don't make a discouraging comment But I pretty much agree with most in that I really didn't care for this game. It isn't bad but even with sale I doubt I will purchase. I got tired of collecting thing, for one. The color is beautiful and the hint is fast so those are good things. All in all just wasn't that impressed, sorry to say.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Oct 20, 13 12:20 AM

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 9:50:29 AM PST

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Oct 20, 13 1:33 AM
I've read about people being unhappy about the "sparkles" in the game. I'm unhappy that you cannot turn them off also. But if you push it all the way up in the custom portion, I noticed they go away for some items. Depending on how you play they are not as bothersome, because they are slower. Just trying to help if you liked the game, but not the sparkles, have a good weekend all, and happy gaming!

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Oct 20, 13 5:21 AM
peglegann wrote:I think that I am becoming contrary in my old age................ At first I got a little irritated, as I could not understand the gameplay but then it clicked and I am finding that it is interesting and certainly not that easy on the hardest mode.

That happened to me too, finally I got into the habit of clicking the various tabs in the inventory area to see if any of the items to be found in each tab had become coloured instead of see through, then I'd search the scene I was in for the coloured parts. I think if it had been made clear at the beginning that this was what to do, the game would have received fewer negative reviews.

twinsoniclab wrote:You collect eggs, which have their own egg room. Collectibles should relate to the game, where do the eggs come in? Shouldn't we be collecting beans?

I don't understand the logic of collecting eggs, but I do understand why you don't collect beans. It's because you collect beans in the bonus game, as part of the actual game.

nwl43 wrote:Finding the items reminds me of the "Treasure Seekers" series (unless I'm mistaken and have it confused with another series). In that series you had to click on an area and you would get a circle of items to find in order to interact with that area.

That's where I saw this sort of game last!! And I loved that series, you'd think I would have remembered.

Unlike most people here, I played the demo and enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much I bought the CE and have now finished it and the bonus game.

Was it worth buying?

Definitely!

Would it have been better to wait for the SE?

No, because although the bonus game wasn't neccessary to give a satisfactory ending to the main game, it took the main game into the future and gave an even more satisfactory ending.

General observations:

I turn off the music and voices anyway as they annoy me, so had no problems with those.

My monitor never has problems with widescreen, and didn't with this game either. (Sometimes I think it's forgotten it is one, lol).

The sparkles weren't intrusive, as I turned them down in custom mode.

The help button was helpful - and I did need to use it a few times.

The game play was fascinating.

The graphics were gorgeous.

The map shows where there is something to do, and lets you jump to those locations.

Thanks for the game, BFG.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Oct 20, 13 10:56 AM
I find this game oddly enjoyable, and I am not a child nor do I have one related to me, or not, close by. I liked the fairy tale and this, though obviously, based on the tale. is not really closely copied but is delightful enough to play!

The HO scenes I thought marvelous! Love frog type games and even the puzzles were interesting enough to want to solve without skipping. Personally, I prefer CE's because they offer achievements, collectibles, etc, and have extra game play and an SG. As far as the other extras, they are of no interest to me.

Don't be afraid to try this game because others have denoited it as perhaps better suited for the younger set......everyone, young and old, I think, could enjoy this game.

Why they are using eggs to collect, as one pointed out, I have no idea. Beans would have been good but whatever. You can find them if you look but half the time, I forgot in the trial.

Try it, you might like it. I am in a quandry about three different CE games but I most certainly will get one! Especially with the sale that is going on this week-end!

Edited on 10/20/2013 at 10:57:07 AM PST

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Oct 20, 13 11:01 AM
NO widescreen???!!! Totally unacceptable at this point in time, especially for a CE. (and no, the "widescreen" button did not change anything). Too bad because once I got the hang of it, I was enjoying the game mechanics - certainly something different if a bit too simplistic. Maybe a daily deal buy, but not worth more than that to me.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Oct 20, 13 11:05 AM
kgustavson wrote:NO widescreen???!!! Totally unacceptable at this point in time, especially for a CE. (and no, the "widescreen" button did not change anything). Too bad because once I got the hang of it, I was enjoying the game mechanics - certainly something different if a bit too simplistic. Maybe a daily deal buy, but not worth more than that to me.

I've had no problem with the wide screen or poor graphics. This is a wonderful game.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 20, 13 11:29 AM
Was disappointed in the game. I like fairy tales but this one was not to my liking. It did have a map and hints reloaded fast but didn't like HOG's and story line was way off line.. Puzzles were rather easy and only give this 2 out of 5 stars..

Go to: