Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

Re:Review for Myths of the World: Stolen Spring Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Nov 9, 13 7:15 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Then again, I play a lot of games. Not every game needs to be pound-my-head-against-the-wall difficult;sometimes it's nice to play something sweet, relaxing and charming. Given my stress levels in the real world these days, this was just what I needed.

I didn't see freeing the little animals as a bad thing at all. The bad guys did bad things to the animals, and you're freeing them - just as a proper "good guy" should. The little ermine helper was cute - but you get him right away; if you don't like that sort of thing in a game, play the demo - and if a cute critter shows up, don't buy it.

This is a beautifully made, beautifully drawn game, and a real pleasure to look at and to play. These developers are my absolute favorite these days. I liked the story, but then - I'm a Slav.

Half the fun for me in any game made by this developer is reading the credits, and this set doesn't disappoint!! I appreciate having a pause button so that I can catch it all. Ditto for the "making of" featurette - amusing & entertaining filk of "Katyusha"!

I can't wait to see what's next from these folks!

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Nov 11, 13 11:13 AM
I too think that this game is certainly worth looking into.

I really really love the slavic theme and remember as a child, being enchanted by tales of the Baba Yaga and similar folkloric characters.

GRANTED it is not bone chillingly frightening, nor head scratchingly tough, but it is EVIDENT that it is lovingly put together.
A LOT of work goes into these games, which often, we the players, either dismiss or overlook.
I think that the graphics are wonderful and I can overlook the CHILDISH helper ermine and its' clothes and decorations(just don't do that part if you don't like it)

To me, this game is more intriguing that the Princess and the Dreamless castle series(aren't there are about 5 episodes of that series?) over which everyone seemed to have gone gaga; but I did not sniff at their preferences.

I tend to be an avid (hard core) true adventure player; mostly avoiding hogs, as I find them tedious, but this game does the hogs nicely, with plenty of interaction and items appropriate to the scene.
The characters are charming , and over all I am not bored yet, and probably about 3/4 of the way through.
Kudos to the developers; I hope that you are planning to explore other cultures myths and legends...!

Edited on 11/11/2013 at 12:46:51 PM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 14, 13 1:25 AM
I was looking forward to this for a long time and was overjoyed to find it available, so I downloaded the trial without hesitation. I must admit that my expectations were not met. In fact, I was a little disappointed. The problem with releasing another game in a series when the first one was so great is that you have to make sure the next one is equal to, or tops, the first one. This one did not. Don't get me wrong, though. This is still an okay game, and I played out the trial, but I won't be buying it.

The story was okay, however it was nowhere near as good as Chinese Healer. I actually found it quite boring at first, and it took a while to get in to it. Nothing interesting happened in the demo. It was somewhat disappointing. The whole goddesses of Spring and Winter thing didn't really settle with me. I found the whole story to be strange.

As much as I hate to say it, some of the gameplay annoyed me too. Even though it was to do with the game, the frozen scenes and spring brush really annoyed me. The whole idea of it seemed childish and it wasn't very fun.
I never thought I'd say this, but the animal helper was lovely! It wasn't cute at all, and it wasn't overused to the point where it became boring, it was used just the right amount of times. The animal, which you get to name, helps you at various points in the game by chewing things to shape them in to different objects. Some might argue that this was cute, but I did not think so. Sure, you got to dress him/her up, but that was your choice, and I chose not to do it.
On the basics, I thought the HOS were pretty good. There were two types: junkpile and silhouette. Both were fairly easy and I could navigate through them easily. The puzzles were a little different. From memory (I played the demo approx. a week before writing this review), I think I could solve one, but the others, I had to skip. It's a shame, really, because I'd like some easier puzzles. Other than that, and the first problem I mentioned, I have no issue with the gameplay. I found it rather enjoyable for the last 15 or so minutes of the demo.

Was it just me, or did these graphics seem a little bit... off? The graphics in the last game were a visual delight, but these seemed rushed in some areas, and were a little bit fuzzy in some places, especially in the cutscenes. The HOS, however, were extremely clear, as were the character designs.
The voice-overs had no issues for me. They were pretty standard, so I can't really make a comment.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 14, 13 1:27 AM
(continued in second post)

FEATURES
4 modes of difficulty: Casual, Advanced, Hard and Custom. Custom mode was not very good though, based on the fact that you could not turn off miss-click penalty. I played Casual.
Hint and Skip- both recharge reasonably fast for Casual Mode, and the hint is very helpful outside HOS.
Diary. Used fairly often, documents your findings throughout the game.
Map- the map is interactive and lets you know where your objectives are and where there are tasks to complete.
Spring Brush- Can be used to unfreeze frozen areas. I didn't really like this feature, as I found it childish.
Animal Helper- Good fun. You find him/her 15 minutes in to the demo. You get to name him/her, and it helps you by chewing up objects to create other objects. There is also a store where you can buy stuff to customise your animal, but this is a CE Exclusive.

CE EXCLUSIVES
Built in Strategy Guide- very helpful for solving puzzles.
Animal Shop- This is where you can buy things to customise your animal helper to your liking. I chose not to use this.
Collectible coins- these are the currency for your animal shop.
Achievements
Bonus Chapter
Concept Art
Screensaver
Wallpapers
Replay HOPs
Bonus HOPs
Replay Minigames

This was nowhere near as good as its predecessor Chinese Healer, but it's not a terrible game. Overall, I don't think it's worth the CE.
Three stars is the best I can do for this game. I just didn't have anywhere near as much fun with it as I did the other game in the series. I'll still recommend the trial.

My rating?

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 18, 13 1:45 PM
WOW....did I play a different game, or what, because I totally enjoyed playing every minute of this BEAUTIFULLY made, BEAUTIFULLY drawn game...LOVED IT .
I have to agree with Slavicdiva, with everything she said, I too am dealing with very high stress levels, in the real world, I have a rare brain disease, that gives me constant health issues, and symptoms, on a daily basis, my dad is fighting a losing battle with cancer, no money to buy Christmas gifts for parents who may not be here, next year, so depression on top of all of this .
My point is, was this a bust your brain, type of game, NO...it was a magical fantasy, that was done so well, it took me to another world, were I absolutely needed to be for a while, so THANK YOU so much EIPIX, just what the doctor ordered.
I just LOVED my ermine friend, and the way you got to give him/her items, to make into useful things, that you needed, instead of the usual flying to get items out of reach.
ALSO, if using the spring brush, and enjoying using it, makes me a kid, so be it, I loved having this added feature to the game play, making it feel more magical, and YES, I also liked the sunflowers and rainbows, that followed .

The graphics and artwork looked stunning on my monitor, loved how magically done the developers, made the HO scenes appear, different from them just being there, when you got to a scene. Also was so COOL to see the octopussy in the water, as I took my ferry ride, all of the special touches these developers add to their games.
LOVED the atmosphere and sounds, and beautiful cut scenes, I think EIPIX has a special talent for creating worlds, and I just got lost in the beauty of this one.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, what a boring world it would be, if we were all the same, and I feel the same goes for computer games, I take each one for what it is, and I know I am not going to be in love with every game that comes out.
BUT this was one of those that I just LOVED, and I Sooooo appreciate all of the hard work, that goes into making them, I can't imagine being nit picked to death, so please know you made this fishie one happy camper.
THANKS also for the VERY entertaining and FUN credits, I get so much joy and LOL moments, reading them, IMHO this is just another bonus in your games, that I look forward to .
I am just REALLY looking forward to your new, Myths of the World adventures, if they are like this one...hint...hint

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 18, 13 1:48 PM
Continued:

If they are anything like this one, it will be a buy for sure
BIG fan of EIPIX ...IMHO you all are AWESOME .

I give five stars..this game lifted my spirits when I needed it most, and that is priceless.

Edited on 11/18/2013 at 1:50:35 PM PST

JoleneMc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by JoleneMc on Nov 18, 13 8:28 PM
Thumbs Down for this game! I was very disappointed in this game--not Collector's Edition quality--more like it's made for 10 year old girls. This is the first game on BF in which I have been truly disappointed in the quality.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 20, 13 3:05 PM
I played the demo and enjoyed it. I was surprised to find so many who didn't like it. The game is really colorful and I loved the cute little white ermine! As far as ease of play, this game is just the kind I like-not difficult and good hints that are really helpful plus the map that takes you where you need to go.

What really sold me on the game, other than the ease of play, etc., was quarrelsqueen's wonderful review. Thank you quarrelsqueen!!

Edited on 11/20/2013 at 3:06:16 PM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 13, 14 2:15 PM
Really enjoyed this somewhat simple game. I did not find myself banging my head with my palm I read the reviews before trialing and buying and knew what to expect
The only complaint I had was the looong lag when changing chapters that made me wonder if I was going to have to play in Administrator mode but I made it through & the pointer 'floaty so I changed to second pointer option and it was cured
Also knowing that it was not a head banger I used the hint button whenever needed to play unbroken
All said I liked it just fine and look forward to their next 'Myths' game
I'm giving this one out of 5 (curser lag and long black screen between chapters)
Try it if you would like a folk tale with pretty graphics and music that I did not need to turn down for a change of pace

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Sep 16, 14 3:57 PM
I thought the ermine was rather cute. the bonus game ended weird.

Go to: