JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 21, 13 12:18 PM
Just too much going on in this game for me which takes the enjoyment out of what could probably have been a really good game. I normally like ERS's quirky add-ons but this time around they've just gone overboard. Shame because I've enjoyed all the others in this series. No buy for me - not even the SE.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 21, 13 2:04 PM
Another Haunted Halls game and like this one too. Graphics are great and hints are good too. Puzzles are fun and I can do them, which I enjoy. ERS is one of my favorites so always look forward to playing them. Has HOG's and the story is a little different. Great job and give this 5 out of 5 stars..

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Nov 21, 13 2:14 PM
i played the beta of this game, and, after reading the reviews, it's obvious that they have changed nothing, so i will not bother with the demo because it's exactly what i played in the beta and i *certainly* don't want to play it twice.

i will say that one thing ERS has improved since the first haunted halls game is the custom difficulty level. i really appreciate that. and, when i set the custom to get rid of the black bar tips, it does improve the experience.

however, i'm done with cute animals. for all of us who have stated over and over and over... and over again that we are TIRED of them, it seems like this game was designed just to make us mad... because i have never seen SO MANY animals in so little time. they are in *every* scene, including zoom ins... and if there isn't an animal in residence in the zoom in, then you must USE an animal to "fix" or "solve" whatever the zoom in requires.

and the glasses... over and over and over....
and the music.... over and over and over...

ENOUGH ALREADY.

i own... and LOVE... the first two haunted halls. they were truly creepy, scary and, at times, almost disgusting... in a good way. this game is SO far removed from what the original games were like it's almost unbelievable.
but, it remains in the realm of believability because it is what ERS has become. and, since i don't care for it, it's a NO BUY for me.
again.
not CE, not SE. i had to struggle to finish the beta!

so, my streak of disliking ERS games continues. still have not purchased a game since before what they did to phantasmat.
more's the pity because i loved the first haunted halls and i love dark alleys. but, i guess this dev does not make those types of games anymore. i keep hoping and will keep checking on every new release, whether by beta or demo. and while i *will* keep hoping, i won't be holding my breath.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 21, 13 3:16 PM
I own all of the games in this series, and loved each and every one of them, AND this one I just LOVE also .....like a fat kid loves cake, I just can't get enough..lol.

Actually, I purchased this one without even doing the demo, which I never do, because I haven't been disappointed yet, and happy to say ERS didn't let me down.
I am just mystified with the stuff they come up, and there were plenty of COOL moments, and LOL moments, throughout the game play, in this one .
Besides the AWESOME graphics and artwork, there was so much that I've never seen in a game, LOVED what you had to figure out, with the animals, OMG the penguine, I almost fell off my chair..SO FUNNY.
And I loved the flamingo's reaching their heads out, all done so well, can't list everything, or go into detail, don't want to ruin for those who haven't played yet, BUT this game has a ton of unique and quirky situations, that just made me laugh, another great game if you need your spirits lifted.
I found it more ENTERTAINING than scary, but I don't have an issue with that, I LOVE it for what it does have, and its definitely not something I've already seen in other games, I could make a list of the unique situations I found myself in..lol
And this is just me, but I play without using the map, my brain needs memory stimulation..lol, and I sure got a workout with so many locations and items to remember, along with figuring out the animals..SO FUN .
LOVE, LOVE the puzzles, are you kidding me, the TV puzzle, skull puzzles, frig, just to name a few, had a smile from ear to ear .. .
I think some of the things are Brilliant, and so creative, like another poster said, these animals are NOT your cutzie kind, and I just LOVE, LOVE how they are used in this gem.
My only negative is having to keep clicking the box, to make it go back up, when you find a potion etc, but it doesn't make me dislike the game by any means.
I like the goggles, maybe I am weird or my brain never fully developed..lol, I know I was always the one to pick the runt of the litter, so I like different.
It just seems here lately that I am loving what a lot of others dislike, BUT that is ok, it's what makes the world go round.
PLEASE try for yourself, which I ALWAYS do, and have had some really GREAT surprises, finding some really great games

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 21, 13 5:12 PM
Wow! For once, I don't know what to say or write about this game. The GamERS have really delved into the world of the weird and bizarr-o. This game is kinda like taking an article from one of the supermarket rags dealing with the weird and bizarre (like an article about finding a piece of toast with a picture of a famous person on it) and creating a game. After a hard day at work, actually it has been entertaining. For one thing I have been laughing nonstop throughout playing this game - it really is that bizarre and crazy! Someone there at the dev site has really outdone themselves with the world of wacky. Just when I think it can't get any crazier, I am proven wrong.

The artwork is always great from these devs. For what I have played, the puzzles are unique. This dev always gives us great puzzles. Alas, we still have the menageries. Someone who designs these games at the GamERS really, really likes cutesy animals. Every game from this dev has animals galore. Thank you so much for giving me a much needed bit of humor today, devs. I just hope this weirdness doesn't create nightmares for me. These are some of my favorite devs, but geesh, maybe you guys need a rest?? This is not my favorite game from this dev, but it is entertaining because it is just so humorous and bizarre. Not certain if I will purchase it or not. Liking the strange and unusual, I probably will, if nothing more than to have a much needed laugh.

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 5:13:17 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 21, 13 5:38 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not a hard-core ERS fan.

That said, this game is a blast. They went completely around the bend and over-the-top crazypants with this and it's hilarious. Those flamingos! That insane talking penguin stencil on the refrigerator! This is filled with so much weirdness, I can't help loving it.

I get annoyed when game play doesn't follow some sort of logic but after allowing myself to accept that I've entered the looking glass, I can appreciate some of the wacky solutions.

Lots of animals but these are more realistic than earlier games. The cat was really well done. And I haven't seen any wearing clothing yet.

I hope some of the people that have grown tired of ERS can look at this with fresh eyes and a sense of suspended disbelief. It's a lot of fun.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 21, 13 6:15 PM
I have 3 of the Haunted Halls games and really enjoyed them all. This has the standard very nice ERS graphics and game play. Colors are very clear. Music not too bad, but gets annoying after a while. Nice voice overs, well done.

I did not use the jump map, but there is a tremendous amount of running back and forth for one thing or another...a lot of unnecessary returns. Hint system was helpful and I liked the fact that you could customize the length of time you wanted for it to recharge. SG was the usual ERS as well...nicely done.

I too am getting tired of animals in everything. They don't really do much for the game at all. Didn't run across much in the way of "extras," except to collect animals. Did not care for the glasses either. The puzzle that accompanied their use was extremely simple and rather childish. The only HOG I ran across was extremely simple as well.

I was very disappointed in this game, as there really isn't anything new or different. It was not challenging at all and I found it almost too simple even for a beginner. I think it is time for the devs to drop the "series" and move on to something more challenging and fun. Unless there is an exceptional special coming up in the near future, I do not believe I will purchase this game. However, I have been known to change my mind once I have played it again...usually when the SE comes out. Will have to wait and see. Definitely do not see that it is CE worthy right now.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you wanted. Thanks for the reviews.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Nov 21, 13 6:54 PM
There was a time when the mere mention of a new game by this dev sent chills down my spine. The graphics here remain spectacular, however, please don't mix a Haunted Halls game with cutesy animals and collectible vials; you wind up turning off customers who seek both categories because they just don't mix in a game. Sorry, no buy for me either CE or SE and this is probably the first from this developer I've passed on.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Nov 21, 13 7:22 PM
I liked this game in the beginning, interactive HOG's, puzzles interesting and not too difficult, but I couldn't stand the rune/glasses thing. It was fine the first time...but after the fifth one I got really fed up. On this basis alone, it's a no-buy for me!

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Nov 21, 13 7:49 PM
Not a big fan of the other haunted halls but I thought I would give it a try, Not a fan of this one either. Played almost the whole demo and it was enough to know that I won't be buying it. Having to do the same thing over and over with the glasses was not fun, I did like the interactive Ho but those alone are not enough to get me to buy the game.I love ers but this game just didn't cut it for me.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Nov 22, 13 7:16 AM
I am with the minority here also. I enjoyed the first 3 installments of Haunted Halls. Even though I am not a big fan of ERS games due to their cookie cutter appearances, I thought I'd give this one a try. My take on this... if ERS would like to make a cutesy game, name it something else. Why add it to the Haunted Halls stories? I could NOT believe it when I found I had a zoo, and fuzzy cute animal helpers. The inventory items were used in totally senseless ways. To me, it's a thrown together, fairy tale game. The puzzles through the goggles over and over and over???? Not!!! Oh I am sooo disappointed in this Haunted Halls installment.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Nov 22, 13 11:25 PM
one word...LAME

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Nov 23, 13 8:58 AM
Loved it as I have all the other games that ERS make, didn't even know there was a jump map, as far as I was concerned not enough tooing and froing to bother looking for one. Downloaded play the hour and brought straight away, just finished it kept on playing and got totally involved.

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 23, 13 12:03 PM
This game is not up to the usual standards of Ers. I will not be buying it. What's with the goggles. Dislike those things and the weirdness of the scenes. I want magical, beautiful, childish, toys, funny little puzzles and happy stuff. Disappointed.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Nov 23, 13 5:07 PM
This is my second review. It's not posted yet. I just completed it:

Thanks to BFG for removing my original review, at my request, so I could write another one and tell you what I really think.
Nightmare Dwellers CE is an excellent game, brought to us by the same team that produced Green Hills Sanitarium, Escape from GHS, Fears From Childhood and more.
As per usual, in the great tradition of this series, Nightmare Dwellers is technically superior and fun to play. These halls are not really haunted, though. And the dreams aren't nightmares unless you're 5 years old.
In the main section of the game you get what you can reliably count on from this developer: first class visuals and sound with a fun story line and puzzles and HOGs that you're sure to enjoy.
Because it's a CE you also get:
Bonus Chapter
Achievements and Collections
Re-playable Mini-Games and Hidden-Object Puzzles
Exciting Screensavers, Wallpapers and Concept Art
Integrated Strategy Guide
That's it. There's really nothing more to say about the game. Like a novelist who's figured out the winning formula and has re-written the first book 25 times over with different characters' names and backgrounds and a slightly different crime and an oh-so-minor shift in thrilling outcome, the substance of Nightmare Dwellers is the same as everything that came before it.
If this is among the first games you are playing, you are sure to love it. If this is exactly the style of game you prefer with lots of fun and little intensity, it is a five star game. So I heartily recommend it to you. I enjoyed the game. It was a lot of fun.
If, however, you find what thrilled you before is no longer thrilling, this is definitely NOT the game for you:
There is neither the unique approach to storytelling nor the incredible creativity of the puzzles and HOS found in Nevertales (is there anything else out there like it today?). There is not the amazing depth of storyline and incomparable attention to detail as in Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes (Talk about haunting! Down to the background music of what sounds like chanting monks and special effects that give new meaning to the word special Stolen Runes is in a class by itself!!).
In all fairness, this is a review of what Nightmare Dwellers is, not what it isn't. There is nothing wrong with it at all and a lot that's great. As a break from some of the intensity of other games, this is a welcome relief and a good bit of fun.
It's simply not how I like my arsenic served anymore.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Nov 23, 13 10:42 PM
I was looking forward to giving this a try. I usually enjoy games from our friendly rabbit with large EaRS. I like the storyline, the graphics are wonderful and the animals are fun. What I do not enjoy is a repetitive scenario that occurs often. After about the third time, I wanted to scream! (Maybe that's the "Nightmare".) Those strings of runes to put together are about as much fun as watching paint dry, but they are about as frustrating as trying to get a straight answer from a politician. Another annoyance is that you cannot use the map unless you open your notes, then click on the "Map" tab. I have all the other "Haunted Halls" games (one as a CE), but this one just isn't as intriguing thanks to those runes. I may get it when we have a half-price sale, but I am certainly not drooling over it.

Edited on 11/23/2013 at 10:48:06 PM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Nov 24, 13 12:31 PM
I don't often agree with cbtx but I have to say that I do this time. Personally, I am getting really tired of this octopus/man thing and the scenes are absolutely so out of this world to not even be enjoyable. It is so tedious to get from one place to another that I feel as if I am in a nightmare version of Alice in Wonderland.

No buy for me on the CE but maybe an SE when it becomes available. Especially if I have a PCC left. Hope this is the end of Dr. Blackmore.

Oh.....and I positively HATE the runes puzzle!!!

Edited on 11/24/2013 at 12:32:50 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Nov 24, 13 2:38 PM
Just finished playing the main game and am hoping that the bonus game gives some closure. Enough with the octopus man already!! I also, could not figure out the point of the hamster and the vials. How do you use them and what are they for and what do they do and who cares!!!??? As far as I could tell, they had nothing to do with the game. The animals in the main part of the game, serve no purpose either, except for the hidden flamingos. But at least, they were not seen for long. I am not crazy about the graphics, even tho I like ERS Studios, their graphics are not my favorite. The game was a decent length, and I enjoyed the mini-games. For hard gamers, they would have been too easy, but as a not hard, but not soft player (!!), I enjoyed them. I thought they were pretty creative, as were alot of the HOS, I also liked the fact, and I really hope more devs (and a few have) start doing this, that there is an alternative game to play (Match 3), if you don't want to play the HOS. All in all not a bad couple of hours. I will review the Bonus Game, after I have played.
Oh, and since I won't be playing again until next weekend, Happy Thanksgiving to All who celebrate it!!

feenix

n2u2nyte
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by n2u2nyte on Nov 29, 13 7:38 PM
I don't know about the others but after playing this game for a while I found it BORING,no excitment whatsoever.It's about a dream state that even put me to sleep. Couldn't even finish it,should have waited for a special or the SE sale,not worth the CE price.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Nov 30, 13 6:43 PM
I had a really good time playing this game. Sorry to have finished it. I have all the Elephant games and this did not disappoint me. I played it for 3 days and enjoyed it all. Don't go by the 30 min. demo. It gets way better and seem to never end. I'd play it again, Thanks BFG.

Go to: