Upgrading 'Nevertales: The Beauty Within' from SE to CE

[Post New]by robindrake29 on Jan 20, 14 9:27 PM
judithannegg wrote:[...] I might have to do something I have NEVER done before and buy the CE even though I already have the SE! Tough to do, but this game seems worth it!

At about halfway through the SE, I can tell that, like judithannegg, I will want to play the CE of Nevertales. But I've already upgraded SE->CE for a number of games from BFG. It's very easy, and it's a bargain: Buy the CE, email Big Fish customer service to say that you're upgrading the game from SE to CE, and BFG will give you a code for a free SE game! (Plus, you earn three punch card credits for buying the CE - and they don't subtract a punch for the SE you're dropping.)

For most games, the tech staff also was able to talk me through upgrading to the CE without losing my place in the game, so I didn't have to replay the whole game from scratch to get to the bonus play. For Nevertales, though, I might want to play it all again - if for no other reason than to find the secret morphing objects in the HOS that I didn't discover until today!

Edited 01/23/14 to add: After finishing the game (6:30 a.m.), I've learned that in my review above I was right about one thing, and wrong about another.

Right: I definitely want to buy and play the CE! This is one of the most interesting and fun games of the dozens I've purchased from Big Fish Games.

Wrong: Apparently the morphing objects are exclusive to the CE. The one I found in the SE must have been a glitch. After I clicked that object by accident (sorry, I don't remember which object, or where it was), the object disappeared, and a message popped up to say that each HOS in the game held a morphing object to be found by eagle-eyed players. However, I looked exhaustively at every HOS after that point, and I never found another morphing object. Since none were mentioned in the walkthrough, on the forums, or anywhere else I could find info discussing the SE, I believe that the morphing object and message weren't intended to appear in the SE.

Despite that one little "oops," I strongly recommend this game. The storyline is a little bit convoluted and not very believable, but that doesn't particularly matter. The fun is in solving the many puzzles and mix of HOS types.

Edited on 01/23/2014 at 4:46:22 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nevertales: The Beauty Within

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 21, 14 9:08 AM
No doubt this is a 5 star game, but a long one. I've played enough of these HOS/Adventure games to feel I'm pretty good at them, but even playing this one in the easiest level, I struggled with it....definately not for a beginner player.

HOS and mini games were amazing...very different and creative from other HOS games. Some mini games I skipped, but others were very playable, although instructions could be confusing.

Graphics and annimations were fantastic. I did turn off the voice overs because I don't like those, but the music/ambiant sound was good. If you are like me and often skip cut-scenes, etc...don't do it on this one especially toward the end.

A game to be played to believe it...although the ending was really weak. The game is so long (took me almost 4 hours over a couple of days), I did forget the beginning of the game's story so the ending seemed a bit confusing as well as some of the roles of the players.

Terrific game, will probably play again when I have a lot of time to kill on a rainy day. Definately worth the $ paid. Glad I did, best one I've played in a long time. I agree with other reviewers...this is a genuine masterpiece. I may just have to get the CE too.

Edited on 01/21/2014 at 9:14:20 AM PST

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 2, 14 8:29 PM
Swimming against the tide on this one. First of all, I never had to tote a baby around in a game before, but what really hit me the wrong way was after showing some tribal lady the box with all of the heart indentations, someone just broke out into some song and there was a short but painful video to watch during this song...um, no, not for me. If you like the mushy stuff then this is your game, but I found it to be a bit over the top, so much so, I immediately uninstalled the game and really do not care for it at all. Honestly, it's just another hidden object game, really no constructive concept of initiative when it comes to story line, or any sense of urgency which to me gives a game a 5-star rating, or a good review. This game was all over the place. OH, one good thing I can say is that it had a jump map? ..and that's about it.

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Mar 6, 14 10:37 AM
I found this to be one of the best games I've ever purchased. . I really give Kudo's to these developers because this was fantastic. Beautiful graphics, clever puzzles I really enjoyed and I am a notorious puzzle skipper, lol. But I enjoyed these a great deal.
The story line was a wee bit confusing at times but I was having such a good time solving the puzzles and making my way through the different realms it didn't matter.
For an SE it was very long playing . Bravo developers, Bravo!! I'm going to back and start over again!

Edited on 03/06/2014 at 10:42:23 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 6, 14 4:16 PM
roaming wrote:This game starts out like a spooky mystery and rapidly turns into Alice in Wonderland. I think the talking door guys were reincarnations of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

Be sure to set your hint refill to the shortest possible as you will need it often. This is the most confusing game ever, like you're having a terrible nightmare. Not once did I know what I was doing or why. There is a cute little mechanical owl helper, so if you're not into cute little animal helpers... well, you'll have to decide for yourself. Sometimes you have to work a puzzle, but it isn't clear that it's a puzzle. I quit when I got to the talking doors, which turned out to be one of those puzzles you don't know is a puzzle. There are also puzzles disguised as HOS. Lots of up and down and back and forth and picking up inventory items you have no use for. God forbid I should have tried the CE. Any more confusion and my brains would have probably fallen out.

I seem to be the lone dissenter so far, so as always, try it. You might like it. Basically, it gave me a headache.

Well, I played the demo again, just to make sure I wouldn't change my mind about this 5-star rated game. This time, I got past the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum doors and completed the entire demo. The theme here seems to be childhood stories. Besides Babes in Toyland and Alice in Wonderland, we now have Robinson Crusoe with the tribal lady as perhaps our woman Friday. I see that since the last time I demoed it, I am no longer the lone dissenter. It's nice to have company.

[Post New]by bradleybeachgirl on Apr 17, 14 9:15 AM
My first post although I have been playing games for years. But this game is worth it! Best game I have ever played. Please tell me how I can find out who the developers are so I can purchase more games of this quality. I have to say this game makes so many others look bad, but beyond that, it really is fun. The puzzles are easy enough to solve quickly, but not so easy that it's not worth it. I love everything about this game, it's changing story-line, the graphics, audio, puzzles, not too many HOs, just enough, etc. In addition, it's the attention to detail that shows quality! Thank you, and I look forward to additional games, whoever you are...

Go to: