BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fates Carnival Collectors Edition

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Nov 26, 13 3:05 PM
Based on the demo

This game is pure MCF. It is a must buy for hidden object game lovers, for dark and eerie game lovers, and for gamers who love minipuzzles that will blow your mind.

The storyline picks up where the original Madame Fate left off. There are 4 levels of difficulty, magic cards to collect, bobble head dolls to collect, and pound notes to find. There is a store to buy things for Isis, the cat that Madame Fate has bequeathed to you. There is something for everyone in this game.

It is a must buy.

This game is a blast.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 26, 13 3:38 PM
Well, after a few not so good Elephant games, we finally have a winner. They have gone back to their "old ways" with excellent graphics and game play. The lighting is a little dark, but not so much that you can't see clearly. Colors are very clean and clear. I have the other MCF games and Elephant has done an excellent job of picking up where Madam Fate left off and turned this one into a superb game.

HOGS are clear and items are not difficult to find. Puzzles are different...not simple, but not difficult either. Takes some thought and a little patience to get through them. I really like how puzzles have been integrated into the diary...well done.

The music is very nice and the sound FX are perfect. Voice overs fit the people quite well. There is a jump map with areas clearly marked. SG is the usual. Hint system is quite helpful, but fills slowly and you cannot speed it up. There are numerous game modes, which is great for every level of player. I always demo in easy mode to get the feel of the game and then replay later in the harder mode. There are a lot of collectibles, which keep you on your toes looking for them. Not sure how they all get used yet, but I will find out.

I don't give 5 stars easily, but this game definitely deserves them. This looks like it will be a fairly long game for a change and worth the price of the CE. I'm trying to cut back on the CE's, but I just have to have this one for my MCF collection. Excellent game, highly recommended. Keep up the good work, Elephant!

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

cailin272
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cailin272 on Nov 26, 13 7:42 PM
So, so, so happy they have gone back to their roots on this one. I had all but given up on the series as they last two were very disappointing. I didn't even bother finishing Shadow Lake.

I love all of the extras and I love that they brought back the puzzles.

Great work MCF!

n2u2nyte
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by n2u2nyte on Nov 26, 13 10:09 PM
I love the MCF games,have all of them.So,I'm buying this one site unseen............Hope I won't be dissapointed,

[Post New]by els11011 on Nov 27, 13 5:04 AM
Hardly ever give reviews but I had to comment on this one!! Game of the year in my opinion, I've been playing for hours and I'm only about half way. Love the door locks, love the puzzles, really enjoyed the roller coaster ride!!! There's some humor in this game as well as the odd scary moment. A perfect game with plenty to do. I give it 10 out of 10.

Ivy10
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by Ivy10 on Nov 27, 13 9:38 AM
I am enjoying this game and the graphics are beautiful, etc. etc. etc. and I'm a die-hard fan of Mystery Case Files games and also Elephant Games BUT, I do agree with a few other reviewers that this feels more like an Elephant Game than MCF and that does disappoint me. Dire Grove is my favorite game and I will keep hoping that there will be another game like that down the road.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Nov 27, 13 11:25 AM
I didn't trial this game first, just bought it straight out and I am loving this game. Not since Dire Grove have I enjoyed a MCF. The graphics are clear, the HOS are not cluttered and I am loving the puzzles. Thank you so much BFG for going back to the basics of what made MCF games so much fun. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Nov 27, 13 12:03 PM
Waited un-patiently til 3:00 AM on the east cost and couldn't hit that buy button fast enough. I am loving every little bit of it. It has something for everyone. I loved the original Madame Fate but I was not good at doing those tough puzzles. This game gives me a little nudge with the puzzles that is just what I need. The graphics are bright and beautiful. The music fits perfectly, non-repetitious and not at all annoying. More often than not I turn off the music.

My one and only complaint.............................I AM EXHAUSTED!

I had out of state company here for a couple of days, good friends that I love to see but......................I was getting a little anxious for them to leave just so I could play this game. I've been up 'til 5:00 AM for the last 2 days trying to get in a couple of hours of play time after they went to bed. They left this morning and I've been yawning over the 'puter ever since.

Great Job Big Fish. Back to what worked and what kept us all coming back every year. I did not like last years lake game, so tired I can't even remember the correct name.

So thanks Big Fish and now back to the game waiting on my other 'puter. Oh yeah, its on both, desktop and laptop.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Nov 27, 13 2:03 PM
I'm on the fence about this one.

The good news is that the series has gone back to its roots, complete with the style design, and Elephant games has done a very good job of imitating the style for the sequel to Madame Fate.

The bad news is that the game itself is a bit all over the place. One of the main things every MCF had was a clear objective. This one doesn't (you arrive at the carnival, but the objective isn't clear: are you supposed to rescue the carnies, or find Madame Fate, or what?). Then there is Alistair Dalimar, who we don't know what relation is he exactly to the Dalimars of Ravenhearst. He apparently was intent on getting the crystal ball from Madame Fate, but it seems a bit too similar to the first Madame Fate ( someone wanted to kill her, so you had to figure out which of the carnies it was, but at the very end, it turned out that it was one of the Dalimars). Here, after playing the demo, it seems that there is no clear objective, and very little story to add to it.

I must also say something about the atmosphere. While Madame Fate isn't one of the my favorite installments of MCF, I did like it, partly because of the atmosphere. It was one of a carnival, and a bit cheesy, yes, but that was the whole point, to give you the feeling of being there. It was fun and light. Here, they did, well, I'm not sure what they did, but I know what it looked like to me. Seems that not only have they gone for the darker mood, but also taken the "fun" out of the carnival. Granted, the place is abandoned, but they didn't have to make it seem like it was made by Dalimar, similar to the playground he had for the twins in Ravenhearst 2. Anyway, I didn't mind it that it was dark, but creepy for the sake of creepy, and given how light the first one was? Not good.

Don't know how long it is ( the demo only had the first four chapters), but I'll really have to think about whether to buy it or not. Because as of now, to me it's not really worth two credits, or the usual regular price.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 27, 13 3:37 PM
AWESOME GAME bought sight unseen.. I noticed a lot of tech issues with this game. I've had no issues. game is running perfectly. one of the best MCF game in quite awhile.

caseypup
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by caseypup on Nov 27, 13 5:07 PM
I love the game, but feel like its on the short side? I thought because of all the chapters it would be a long game, but just checked and seems I'm almost done already and haven't been playing it that long, and I am not the best player!! Kind of disappointed in length.

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Nov 27, 13 5:15 PM
Just started the game, so far it looks very interesting I'd love to see more, I am definitely getting this with some of my Christmas money.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 27, 13 6:24 PM
This s not a short game for me. I have been playing for hours in the Detective mode (no task list, no active tasks on the map.) There is a lot of back and forth, and a lot of memory required -- I am forced to take notes to remember where to go once an inventory item I can use is found. I have been playing for many, many hours and I have not yet rescued half the doomed souls. But the biggest challenge, and what I'm loving most, are the "super puzzles". They harken back to the challenge found in Madame Fate and Return to Ravenhearst. They are truly wonderful. Other puzzles range from fairly simple to both figure out what and how to do, to maddeningly tough to accomplish even if the concept seems simple. I love them all!!!

The HO scenes are interactive and items hard enough to find I will never get the achievement for finishing a scene in less than a minute, and I probably won't finish 3 scenes in less than 3 minutes each. Guess I will linger over one of them long enough to get the achievement for finishing a HO scene in more than 10 minutes! Other achievements are going to happen as a matter of progress in the game -- in any case, they are not really my main focus.

Morphing objects are fairly easy to spot. I would like to find them all. Collecting pounds to furnish the cat with goodies -- not sure what the max amount is, but if I miss some, Isis will have one less treat. Sorry Isis, I'm not really that interested in that part of the game.

So -- I will have to say this game is really quite wonderful. Elephant games has had to have collaborated with BFG Studios original designers of the MCF games that were so superior to most of what is offered nowadays. I am so enjoying being reminded that such games can still be produced, and this one in a way that can be enjoyed at all levels of from an excruciating challenge (cursor does not change) to sheer entertaining activity. Brilliant!!!

IMHO, the CE is worth the price. Our money is buying a lot of play time and supporting a developer. Hopefully it is also encouraging them to continue producing this caliber of game.

Thank you EG.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Nov 27, 13 8:57 PM
shorenuf wrote:This s not a short game for me. I have been playing for hours in the Detective mode (no task list, no active tasks on the map.) There is a lot of back and forth, and a lot of memory required -- I am forced to take notes to remember where to go once an inventory item I can use is found. I have been playing for many, many hours and I have not yet rescued half the doomed souls. But the biggest challenge, and what I'm loving most, are the "super puzzles". They harken back to the challenge found in Madame Fate and Return to Ravenhearst. They are truly wonderful. Other puzzles range from fairly simple to both figure out what and how to do, to maddeningly tough to accomplish even if the concept seems simple. I love them all!!!

The HO scenes are interactive and items hard enough to find I will never get the achievement for finishing a scene in less than a minute, and I probably won't finish 3 scenes in less than 3 minutes each. Guess I will linger over one of them long enough to get the achievement for finishing a HO scene in more than 10 minutes! Other achievements are going to happen as a matter of progress in the game -- in any case, they are not really my main focus.

Morphing objects are fairly easy to spot. I would like to find them all. Collecting pounds to furnish the cat with goodies -- not sure what the max amount is, but if I miss some, Isis will have one less treat. Sorry Isis, I'm not really that interested in that part of the game.

So -- I will have to say this game is really quite wonderful. Elephant games has had to have collaborated with BFG Studios original designers of the MCF games that were so superior to most of what is offered nowadays. I am so enjoying being reminded that such games can still be produced, and this one in a way that can be enjoyed at all levels of from an excruciating challenge (cursor does not change) to sheer entertaining activity. Brilliant!!!

IMHO, the CE is worth the price. Our money is buying a lot of play time and supporting a developer. Hopefully it is also encouraging them to continue producing this caliber of game.

Thank you EG.

That was really well put, I especially agree with the point of supporting a developer..something I feel that sadly is often overlooked.
I look forward to more wonderful games from elephant games ( and bigfish, of course!)

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 28, 13 5:49 AM
I loved this game. Will be getting it.

[Post New]by justmyfivecents on Nov 28, 13 9:47 AM
I can't share all this praise. This game didn't cut it for me at all, sorry.

I am a direct person, so here's my points:

-Not level of detail/quality as previous Big Fish Games studio games (talking clowns with a 2frame-"animation", really?)

-Too childish and too bland (Ugh, Madame Fate again.. really? Let her be dead already and move on)

-Not my style (I loved the real-actor style of 13th Skull and overall more mature setting, but this.. really?)

-Typical russian studio work, lots of regular puzzles (too many for my taste, actually) and too difficult in places
like playing notes, doing some ridiculously hard puzzles without help, etc (badly balanced with a few huge game-stoppers)

-Overall very bland, no storyline that kept me interested in playing (just hinting on some mumbo-jumbo, cashing in on
previous titles)

-Too many riddles, too few story and bad graphic design (some stages are ridiculously bad like the mountain-backdrop,
the "animation" of the characters look very cheap compared to previous titles, etc)

-Unworthy of the Mystery Case Files brand. A huge step backwards in quality and design (low budget, really?)

-Lacks the depth & quality of 13th skull, escape from ravenhearst, dire grove (3 of my favorites):
there is no real storyline to this game, it expects you to know all the previous plots and jumps right in, that's
not how you do a game. Every title must stay playable for itself, and this one failed miserably. Somebody who doesn't
know the previous titles is left clueless and will eventually stop playing-

Edited on 11/28/2013 at 9:48:11 AM PST

[Post New]by justmyfivecents on Nov 28, 13 9:48 AM
-Shadow Lake was the only MCF title that had a bad story and boring go-here-go-there quests plus the money spent on some
old washed-up actor had better be invested in a kewl storyline and more interesting setting, but at least the production
design was top notch: graphics, animation, the integration of real-life actors, everything was quality. Fate's Carnival
is just comissioned work and it shows everywhere

-No focus on the best parts/heart of the series,like eg Dire Grove: It had it all, an actual mystery to solve, interesting,
spooky/horror backplot, quality graphic design and no childish approach to the setting, real live acting, etc

To me it's still the best one, as it featured a simple & effective approach: Detective's car breaks down, sudden weather storm,
player is forced to find shelter, arrives at frozen hotel.. something is wrong. Bang, that's a story to follow. Who cares
about some child carnival in the middle of nowhere. Thats not story-telling, thats garbage

-Bad continuity: Madame Fate's Voice is laughably bad compared to original game and previously re-used samples,
it doesn't fit her character and breaks immersion completely (annoyed me every time she opened her mouth)

-Live action-characters fitted the series perfectly, I am highly disappointed by the comical new/old design, it makes
MCF a kitsch russian game like everything else. MCF stood for quality and realism, giving this to another no-name company
is the tombstone for the series. Latest MCF is no MCF game at all anymore

Overall a huge disappointment. If this is the new direction for the series it will be the last game for me
Better re-think your strategy Big Fish, I thought 13th skull was brilliant, both in setting as in quality as
in design. No idea why people love this kitsch, but it sure aint for me. You completely lost me there
The only good part were the few audio tracks, they really nailed it. The rest was below quality and unworthy of MCF

I'll give this game a meager 5/10 for a regular, a disappoining 2/10 for a MCF game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 28, 13 7:01 PM

Mystery Case Fizzle

Like the last MCF (Shadow Lake), this one is disappointing.

I purchased the original Madame Fate and liked it a lot. So I expected something good.

While playing the demo on this one, it just did not grab me, it seemed quite ordinary - the one thing the MCF series should not be. It lacks the "draw you in" quality that the better games have.

I also do not like games with "helpers," even more so when you have to use them a lot. The cat is uhh, shall we say uninteresting, to put it nicely. I would rather find a suitable tool to do the job.

Finding the 20 morphing cards was the only thing that I really liked.

In my opinion, just an ok game, not worthy of the MCF brand.

Tralfaz
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Tralfaz on Nov 28, 13 8:04 PM
First of all, well done! I have been a big fan of MCF from day one, or should I say, game one. :-)

It's nice to watch it all progress to where this game comes.

Overall, it is a beautifully made game. And Isis is just the thing for this self professed Crazy Cat Lady!

Game play was smooth, but I have to admit I used the Hint button a lot because I just didn't understand where to go next on a lot of it. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it did seem harder to figure things out, as opposed to say RTR was.

The ambiance and music fit very well with the settings.

I loved having a bonus chapter & getting more of the story. As well as the secret door, which I am current playing. Aside from a few glitches which I'm sure will be fixed soon, it was a very enjoyable game.

The detective has come far from the first case, can't wait to see where the next adventure leads!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 29, 13 1:10 AM
Disappointing. It's just the same as every other game out there and that was the one thing MCF always had going for it... they were unique and cutting edge. There's nothing wrong with it really, it's an ok game with all the bells and whistles... but... it didn't draw me in.

November used to be a banner month for big fish... all the fun threads in the forum with hints and clues to solve... so much fun! The pre-game was almost as fun as the game! None of that this year so that could explain some of the loss of excitement. But not all of it. With the other MCF games I was downloading as soon as it was available and almost going without sleep because it was so good. Even when some things weren't perfect or took a while to get used to they were still intriguing and kept you involved. With this one I downloaded when I had time, I wasn't waiting for it. Then I have to force myself to keep playing because it just doesn't have that "I need to see what's next, I want to solve the story" aspect. It's missing. I miss the videos... the live acting... the flash... Dire Grove... the twins in Ravenhearst... 13th Skull... Shadow Lake... yes they were "love 'em or leave 'em" games... that was what made them special. Maybe they'll sell more of this game because it follows the same old same old stale pattern that seems to sell. Do you want a McDonald's hamburger or do you want a Barney's Gourmet hamburger?

I think the forum itself speaks VOLUMES... there are ONLY TWO pages in the review thread... two. There were THIRTY ONE pages on the review thread for Escape from Ravenhearst. That's HUGE. There were even SEVENTEEN for Shadow Lake. Sure some are negative but people were ENGAGED and ACTIVE... this time? Yeah not so much. What a loss.

Go to: